+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Storm Legion Cabalist (updated)

Default The Storm Legion Cabalist (updated)

Updated for 2.3 hotfix 13 changes to Cabalist.

Cabalist is an AoE damage soul that excels in group situations with 8 or more enemies, primarily trash groups in dungeons and invasions in the open world. This build is not effective for soloing as it has very little defensive ability. For soloing consider a hybrid with Defiler, or a Druid based build. On to the build!

Build
    58 Cabalist/14 Inquisitor/4 Defiler
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8hU/EkkGl5iai4/Uf

If you don't have access to Defiler use Sentinel instead for spellpower:
    58 Cabalist/13 Inquisitor/5 Sentinel
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8hM/EkkGl5iai4/p8

Points can be moved between Ravaging Darkness, Dark Passage, Maelstrom, Dark Harbor, and the reflects, depending what utility you need.

Defiler is superior to a subspec in Sentinel as soon as you have one stack of Rage Blight, since it is a multiplicative damage bonus. Apply Blighted Greed to the tank if there is one to ensure full uptime of Rage Blight.

I have found points in +damage% to result in greater damage than points in +wis% for all spells except Well of Souls, but the difference is so small it really doesn't seem to matter. I have gone with the points in Wisdom as it also increases your crit chance.

Of course this is dependent on gear levels, I will update the guide if the optimal spec changes with better gear.

Buffs

Macros

ST Macro
    Code:
    #show Sanction Heretic
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Obliterate
    cast Tyranny of Death
    cast Disintegration
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Shadow's Touch
    cast Ravaging Darkness
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Bound Fate
    ST Asias Macro
    Code:
    #show Sign of Asias
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Sign of Asias
    cast [notactive] Obliterate
    cast Tyranny of Death
    cast Disintegration
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Ravaging Darkness
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Bound Fate
    Leave out Marrow Harvest if you do not have Defiler

There's no other macros for the spec that are really useful. Tyranny of Death can be put in a macro since it will not override itself, however, for AoE it is always more optimal to manage it separately based on the circumstances of the encounter. For ST Tyranny can also be managed separately but I have included it in the macro because it does not unpredictably detonate with only one target involved.

Abilities
    AoE:
    Tyranny of Death
    Bound Fate
    Disintegration
    Curse of Anarchy
    Curse of Solitude
    Well of Souls

ST:
    Obliterate
    Dark Water
    Curse of Discord
    Vex
    Marrow Harvest (Defiler only)

Sigils:
    Sigil of Spirits (increased damage)
    Sigil of Woe (purge)
    Sigil of Secrecy (interrupt/silence)
    Sigil of Ruin (stun)
    Sigil of Binding (snare)
    Sigil of Catastrophe (all sigils at once!)

Other:
    Sign of Asias
    Dark Passage
    Ravaging Darkness
    Reversal of Fortune
    Mass Reversal
    Esoteric Estimations
    Howling Death
    Purge

Note that in this spec you have three purges: Purge, Sigil of Woe, and Sigil of Catastrophe; and two interrupts: Sigil of Secrecy and Sigil of Catastrophe (Sigil of Ruin can also be used if the enemy(s) can be stunned). Unfortunately the cooldowns are too long to be used for continuous interrupts.

AoE Rotation
    This is the meat of the spec. There are three important aspects of Cabalist AoE:
    • Bound Fate spreads Tyranny of Death if your target has it
    • Tyranny of Death exploding causes Tyranny of Death on other mobs to explode
    • Tyranny of Death can explode either when it times out, you use Disintegration, or the enemy dies

So the most important priority is to keep Tyranny of Death up on as many targets as possible. The basic rotation assuming no enemies die is based around the cooldown of Disintegration, 15 seconds. This is also the cooldown of Well of Souls and the duration of your curses.

[Sigil of Spirits] -> Sign of Asias -> Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate (spread) -> Disintegration -> Tyranny of Death -> Well of Souls -> Curse of Anarchy -> Curse of Solitude -> Bound Fate until Tyranny of Death explodes

Tyranny of Death

Note that Tyranny of Death can explode at any time due to a mob death. Always watch for the Tyranny of Death explosion, if it goes off you need to reapply and spread it as soon as possible, especially if another mob is about to die.

Do not use Disintegration to trigger Tyranny of Death if a mob is about to die or it is about to time out, because these conditions give you a "free" explosion. You can then reapply and spread Tyranny of Death with Disintegration still available.

You do not need to spread Tyranny of Death immediately with Bound Fate (unless to use Disintegration), since as soon as the initial enemy's Tyranny of Death times out, it will explode the others as well. However if a mob is about to die make sure to prioritize spreading because this will trigger Tyranny of Death on all enemies.

If there are more than 8 enemies, you can switch to other targets after spreading Tyranny of Death and use Bound Fate again to attempt to spread it further before activating it.

Curses

Curse of Anarchy applies to 8 enemies, and each application damages 3 enemies. Curse of Solitude applies to 1 enemy and damages 8 enemies, and can only be applied to one enemy at a time. Each enemy can only have one curse applied.

The result of this is that you should apply Curse of Anarchy first to get curses on 8 enemies, and then apply Curse of Solitude to one enemy (preferably one which did not receive Curse of Anarchy but it isn't too important). It will override that enemy's Curse of Anarchy while leaving Curse of Anarchy on the other enemies. Curse of Solitude will do far more damage than that one enemy's Curse of Anarchy would.

Sign of Asias

Sign of Asias should be used whenever it is up, it is only on a 1 minute cooldown so don't try to "save" it too much. It can be macro'd to Tyranny of Death or possibly Sigil of Spirits.

Sigil of Spirits

Sigil of Spirits should be kept up at all times, unless an Inquisitor is keeping Clinging Spirits up with Soul Drain or a Saboteur is using Embers Bomb (it is still worthwhile to open with however). Note an Inquisitor might overwrite your Clinging Spirits debuff on the primary target but you will still need to keep track of the debuff on the other targets unless they are using Soul Drain.

Single-Target Rotation
    For single-target you will add in the use of single-target spells, in conjunction with activating Obliterate which turns Tyranny of Death, Disintegration and Bound Fate into powerful single-target abilities as well. Shadow's Touch and Dark Water now have important roles in Cabalist ST.

[Toggle on Obliterate] -> [Sigil of Spirits if needed] -> Sign of Asias -> Curse of Discord -> Tyranny of Death -> Disintegration -> Tyranny of Death -> Dark Water x3 -> Vex -> Well of Souls -> ST Asias macro

When Sign of Asias is up you can use the ST Asias macro to cast everything except the DoTs. When Sign of Asias is not up, use the standard ST macro instead to cast Shadow's Touch when stationary.

Curse of Discord increases all damage you do to the target by 10% so it is the highest priority to keep active. 3 stacks of Darkness will increase the damage of Shadow's Touch by an additional 15%.

Darkness (the Dark Water DoT) must be maintained at 3 stacks. After the initial application (which should ideally be done with Sign of Asias to stack it more quickly) you only need to use Dark Water once to refresh it however you must do it before it runs out, keeping in mind that Dark Water has a travel time. Refresh at 1 or 2 seconds remaining to be safe.

If you have the Cabalist crystal, prioritize Well of Souls over Vex for single targets.

Marrow Harvest and Bound Fate are used strictly for Sign of Asias or movement. Marrow Harvest is a slight increase over Bound Fate but it's not really worth managing separately if you don't macro it.

Keep up Sigil of Spirits if there is no Inquisitor, Defiler or Saboteur.

Two Target ST

For two enemies, with Obliterate active, maintain 3 stacks of Darkness on each, maintain Curse of Discord on the main target and Curse of Solitude on the other, and apply Tyranny of Death to both (spread with Bound Fate -- see note below). Detoggle Obliterate to detonate both Tyrannies with Disintegration after spreading them, then retoggle Obliterate and reapply/spread Tyranny. Keep up Well of Souls, and keep up Vex on both targets if you wish. If there are 3 or more enemies you will do more damage even to the main target with the AoE rotation.

Note on Tyranny of Death and Obliterate

If Tyranny of Death is initially applied with Obliterate active, it will remain a single-target ability even if Obliterate is deactivated before it explodes. Likewise, if it is applied without Obliterate active, then Obliterate is activated, it will still damage other targets when it explodes. Overall just make sure to toggle Obliterate on or off *before* applying Tyranny of Death.

Also, be aware that Bound Fate will spread either the single-target or AoE version of Tyranny of Death even while Obliterate is active. For example, if you apply Tyranny of Death with Obliterate active, then use Bound Fate, it will spread to 8 other enemies, and damage each for 2.5x the normal damage (but they will not trigger each other's Tyranny of Death). However if you did not have Obliterate active they would each get hit by 9x the normal damage so it's still a huge loss in AoE.

Now go spread some Tyranny!

(Old guide can no longer be edited so I have reposted it here with updates)
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 10-21-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: remove siphon vitality

Very nice guide TheGrinnz. Just wanted to take a moment to say thank you, you've obviously spent some time to put this all together and well done.
    I just returned back to the game 2 weeks or so ago and about to start playing my Cleric again. I have 3 souls to build and definitely will make use of this one.

Last edited by DataWraith; 08-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Re-added 5 Sent sub-spec for those without Defiler.

Since the patch have you seen a increase in single target dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentstorm View Post
    Since the patch have you seen a increase in single target dps?
    Definitely but haven't really done a proper parse of it yet, it's a bit more complex than it used to be :P

Nice I haven't had a chance to really try cab out yet. I'll do it when I get home tonight.

Couple of notes:
    1. Well of Souls is more damaging than Vex once you have the Cabalist raid crystal and should definitely be used/maintained in a dual-target rotation before Vex regardless of whether or not you have the crystal.
    2. Ravaging Darkness does more damage than Shadow's Touch / Bound Fate with Obliterate toggled. Obviously you may want to save it for a situation where you're low on health, but it's worth bearing in mind. At the very least don't be afraid to use it to keep your mana up during extended encounters.

Other than that, the guide looks good.
    Spence <Legit>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridyn View Post
    2. Ravaging Darkness does more damage than Shadow's Touch / Bound Fate with Obliterate toggled.
    Actually, scratch that. Shadow's Touch with 3 stacks of Darkness is better. However, Ravaging Darkness still trumps Bound Fate so it makes sense to use it during a Sign of Asias cooldown block (which is easy enough because the cooldowns align).
    Last edited by Sheridyn; 08-05-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Spence <Legit>

Soulwalker

Can you post which skills to get by intervals of 10?

I want to make sure I get the right skills at level 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridyn View Post
    Actually, scratch that. Shadow's Touch with 3 stacks of Darkness is better. However, Ravaging Darkness still trumps Bound Fate so it makes sense to use it during a Sign of Asias cooldown block (which is easy enough because the cooldowns align).
    Interesting thank you, I was going to check if Ravaging Darkness was worth using for damage now but it slipped my mind. I'll throw it in the ST macros.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-06-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImYoungxD View Post
    Can you post which skills to get by intervals of 10?

I want to make sure I get the right skills at level 40.
    I have not used Cabalist while leveling and it's only useful in dungeons or invasions but here is what I would do.

Level 10: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#nd/Egw/Uc
    Level 20: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#nd/EgJa4/Uf
    Level 30: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8o/EgEES0w/Uf
    Level 40: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8u/EgEEE28Dw/Uf
    Level 50: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8hw/EkkGa2h4w/Uf

Really it doesn't matter as long as you pick up Shackles of Fate and Rage Blight/Blighted Greed as soon as possible, and go for the talents that improve Tyranny of Death most of all.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-06-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Shield of Telara

Thanks for the guide.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    I have not used Cabalist while leveling and it's only useful in dungeons or invasions but here is what I would do.

Level 10: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#nd/Egw/Uc
    Level 20: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#nd/EgJa4/Uf
    Level 30: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8o/EgEES0w/Uf
    Level 40: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8u/EgEEE28Dw/Uf
    Level 50: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n8hw/EkkGa2h4w/Uf

Really it doesn't matter as long as you pick up Shackles of Fate and Rage Blight/Blighted Greed as soon as possible, and go for the talents that improve Tyranny of Death most of all.
    Thank you very much!

Soulwalker

Is there a macro to deactivate Obliterate permanently so when I spam AOE macro, it would it would deactivate Obliterate and leave it deactivated.

You can add the line "cancelbuff Obliterate" but it will spam your default chat window whenever you use that macro. The easiest way is to just have Obliterate accessible and toggle it manually

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast