+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ahov's Purifier Guide

Ascendant

Default Ahov's Purifier Guide

The edit timer expired on the old thread, so I'm rewriting the Purifier guide.

54 Purifier/21 Sentinel/1 Inquisitor is your ideal Purifier spec for raids. You can swap out Urgency for a point in Benediction if you desire the 1% healing instead of a run speed cooldown.

Buffs

Self-buff with Caregiver's Blessing and Sign of Faith. Apply Eruption on the tank you predict will receive the most shielding. Apply Latent Blaze on tanks pre-pull. If you're in a 5-man setting you can apply Wisdom of the Ages and Heroic Resolve to yourself (although I don't recommend a 54 Purifier spec for 5-mans).

Macros

Latent Blaze
    Code:
    #show latent blaze
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast flashover
    cast latent blaze
    Gathering of Flames
    Code:
    #show gathering of flames
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast flashover
    cast gathering of flames
    Instant Ward
    Code:
    #show touch the light
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast touch the light
    cast Ward of scorching
    Run Speed
    Code:
    #show Urgency
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Urgency
    Healing Breath
    Code:
    #show Healing Breath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Healing Breath
    Healing Flare
    Code:
    #show Healing Flare
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui healing flare
    Symbol of the Sun
    Code:
    #show Symbol of the Sun
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Symbol of the sun
    cast @group01 symbol of the sun
    cast @group02 symbol of the sun
    cast @group03 symbol of the sun
    cast @group04 symbol of the sun
    cast @group05 symbol of the sun
    cast @group06 symbol of the sun
    cast @group07 symbol of the sun
    cast @group08 symbol of the sun
    cast @group09 symbol of the sun
    cast @group10 symbol of the sun
    cast @group11 symbol of the sun
    cast @group12 symbol of the sun
    cast @group13 symbol of the sun
    cast @group14 symbol of the sun
    cast @group15 symbol of the sun
    cast @group16 symbol of the sun
    cast @group17 symbol of the sun
    cast @group18 symbol of the sun
    cast @group19 symbol of the sun
    cast @group20 symbol of the sun
    Single Target Dispel
    Code:
    #show Cleansing Prayer
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Cleansing Prayer
    Macro notes: to your preference you may use even more mouseoverui's with abilities such as Sterilize/Ward of Fire. You can combined some abilities such as healing breath and healing flare; however there is lag associated with combining these two, so I do not recommend it. You may also prefer to manually select your target every time; this is 100% up to you. I have just listed the macros I use.

Other abilities to have on your bar

Purifier - Flash of the Phoenix, Spiritual Conflagration, Rite of the Forge, Ward of Fire, Fire Wall, Sterilize, Soul Brand and Ward of Scorching.

Sentinel - Empowering Light, Healer's Covenant and Banish

Inquisitor - Vex

Purifier Concepts

This spec complements chloromancer hps with raw shielding and focusing ability. When there are periods of burst damage on a few, but preferably one player, purifier is often the ideal role. It also brings Empowering Light, an aoe cleanse, and Sterilize, a complete single-target cleanse.

There are many effective ways to play this spec depending on the encounter, but these can primarily be broken into preemptive and reactive shielding. Preemptive shielding is useful when you can predict the heavy damage; this is usually limited to tanks. Reactive shielding allows for Flare-up, a powerful talent which essentially doubles your throughput when you need it most. Both styles are prevalent regardless of the encounter if you are playing correctly.

Symbol of the Sun - Your primary shielding ability, so important that it deserves an entire essay regarding its usage. It will spread to players nearest your target and apply the Burnout debuff, preventing another Symbol of the Sun until the duration has been reached or you get a Clear the Coals proc by using other single-target heals/shields on them. There are situations on any given encounter where you may want to spam the provided macro to apply this shield on as many players as possible. There are also situations where you want to be very conservative with the application. A recurring theme with a majority of clerics seems to be shield-spamming for 95% of an encounter due to it being easier. The issue is that shield-spamming introduces several obstacles which may seriously inhibit your ability to prevent a player from dying.

The first obstacle is Burnout. When you apply Symbol of the Sun you are restricting that player along with other players via Emblem of Ashes from being eligible for another Symbol of the Sun. This debuff lasts fourteen seconds under normal circumstances. Many fights contain aura damage or otherwise light-to-moderate consistent raid damage which will eat up your shields before any major raid damage or extra damage such as standing in fire. Burnout is something very important to consider before you spam Symbol of the Sun.

The second obstacle is lacking Flare-up. This talent is so ridiculously strong if you play purifier correctly. Essentially your Symbol of the Sun becomes twice as effective, but this relies upon you reacting to damage instead of spamming shields. For Flare-up to succeed, your Symbol of the Sun must be applied within three seconds prior to being consumed. For a person eating a couple of ticks of a groundspawn aoe, flare-up might save them. For heavy focused damage such as Mindsear on Salvarola, flare-up is crucial toward success. Without it, you will spend extra GCDs to ensure that player survives. Another example where I absolutely adore the reactive purifier playstyle is Hard Mode Gelidra. Basically any time multiple players are frozen due to them failing mechanics, they are right next to each other. This usually means you can use one GCD and your symbol of the sun will shield anyone frozen via Emblem of Ashes, and then proceed with a flare-up proc for double the shielding.

There are exceptions, of course. As I've previously stated, there are times on many encounters where you will spam shields. Even on Salvarola, which many clerics agree is the toughest fight to play purifier, you will spam shields during Soul Incineration, as there as no requirement to keep the burnout debuff off players during this. Mindsear does not occur here, so you are safe to shield everyone before they might run through a wisp. The Hard Mode Progenitor encounter is an example where it's acceptable to spam Symbol of the Sun for the entire duration. This is because the damage isn't very predictable; players with the Soul Rupture debuff can damage/kill players without it. It's better to have some amount of shielding across the raid than try to rely on reactive shielding here.

I'm going to provide some more examples of how I would play purifier on specific encounters (even if I don't currently recommend Puri on them).

Normal Gelidra - I would support shield spam due to the damage being less predictable. Certain mechanics can combo or even 1-shot undergeared players. The only predictable focus damage is when birds select a target and attack them.

Zaviel + HM Zaviel - I would recommend shield-spamming during the conducer phase, arc weld targets and the sub-50% phase, but otherwise you should focus on healing the tank and dpsing.

Twins - I do not recommend shield-spamming at all. There is a lot of light, consistent incoming damage which will eat your shields up. I would advise reserving your shields for tanks and anyone who suddenly dips due to standing in Electric Field. You're much more likely to save someone from Electric Field if you react to the damage instead of spamming shields.

Crucia - For the Orbital Strike phase I would recommend spamming shields for maximum throughput, but for the final phase your shields will be eaten up by her aura damage. I recommend reacting to players standing in lasers; their chances of survival drastically increase with flare-up and higher effective shielding.

Prog/HM Prog - Shield-spamming is effective for the reasons I listed earlier in this section: the damage is too random and often you cannot react to it because it will result in immediate death.

Kain/HM Kain - Shield-spamming is effective on both encounters for different reasons. On the normal Kain encounter you will have constant raid damage due to everyone stacking with foul blood. Max throughput is inherently via shield-spamming. On the HM Kain encounter, shield-spamming is effective because when players are picked for Foul Blood they will immediately pulse aoe damage; obviously 2-3 people pulsing the extra damage at once can combo for some nasty results. Shield spam helps resolve this issue when you are learning the fight.

Matriarch - I do not condone shield-spamming on this encounter. Reactive shielding is optimal because you will have a limited number of players receiving predictable focus damage via Necrotic Spores and Torment.

Goloch - Purifier in general isn't very helpful on this fight except for smoothing out tank damage. Whether you shield spam or not is highly irrelevant.

Regulos - People seem to enjoy purifier on this fight. The main reason seems to be bringing undergeared players with very low health pools, around 21k. The issue is getting 1-shot by Crash of Souls when Regulos is buffed via his eyes. Most purifiers spam shields here, but I disagree with the premise. You don't want burnout on your lowest-HP members. Therefore, you would directly shield those with the lowest hp before each Crash. Shield-spamming could result in you being unable to save those members who are your sole purpose for running puri in the first place.

Other Ability Explanations

Ward of Fire - Primary casted heal. Use this to smooth out moderate tank damage when more powerful cooldowns are not necessary. Its slow cast time makes it a poor choice for reactive healing.

Ward of Scorching - A mana-intensive casted heal. If other cooldowns are unavailable and you absolutely need to keep the target alive (whether it's a tank or not), you will spam this. Let's say you've reached 56% Salvarola and all other mitigation cooldowns are unavailable. Ward of Scorching is your last resort, but can be critical in saving the attempt and pushing to the 50% phase.

Gathering of Flames - Preemptive 10-target shield + heal. Combine with flashover to provide your most reliable raid cooldown. Gathering of Flames is a great ability to use before Matriarch's Consume Essence, Regulos' Crash of Souls (eyes active), Zaviel's Ion Destruction, Crucia's Orbital Strike or any heavy raid damage.

Spiritual Conflagration - Excellent single-target cooldown. I will primarily use this on a dipping tank who has the burnout debuff. However, on a fight such as Salvarola I can rotate this with other abilities to single-handedly keep a player up through Mindsear.

Healer's Covenant - 40% mitigation cooldown, can easily be worked into a cooldown rotation with your defiler and tanks for heavy damage phases such as Crucia's Lightning Breath, Regulos' Reaving Oblivion, or the Salvarola add phase from 75%-50%.

Rite of the Forge - A heavy load of shielding over 15s; preferable over Spiritual Conflagration in most scenarios due to the longer-term shielding, but not preferable when you need a cooldown with more burst. Note: Rite of the Forge does not stack with Spiritual Conflagration.

Latent Blaze - A very powerful heal which procs when the target drops below 30% health. Apply this on tanks before a pull, but also maintain it in combat. If it's on all tanks, you can also apply it to yourself or another priority target (perhaps a particular player likes to stand in fire more than others). The macro listed earlier for Ward of Scorching includes Touch the Light. You can tap that once and then your Latent Blaze macro to save some time during combat.

Sterilize - Removes all dispellable debuffs on the target. Quite useful on Gelidra during the add phase. The small birds apply Photovoltaic Spasms on a tank, which will deal massive damage if the debuff reaches a high stack count.

Empowering Light - Standard aoe cleanse, quite good with the one-second GCD via Merciful Appeal.

Healing Breath - Your first priority for spot-healing when a player already has Burnout.

Healing Flare - Your second priority for spot-healing when a player already has Burnout. Spammable, therefore mobile.

Fire Wall - Your top dps priority for both ST and aoe. There are plenty of occasions where the tank damage is light and you don't need to spam shields, so by all means contribute with some dps.

Vex/Banish - Your other dps priorities, ST. Apply as you see fit.

Soul Brand - Just got done with some emergency Ward of Scorchings? Mana tonic on cooldown? Use this ability, but try not to make it a habit.

Gearing Up

Purifier's crit rate isn't too impressive, though it has its moments with Latent Blaze/Gathering of Flames. You'll generally want to gear for SP items, but don't overly concern yourself with min-maxing here. The throughput difference between a dps CP set and your ideal SP set will be negligible. If anything I would say to make sure you're not sacrificing much endurance. To me, endurance is the most important stat for progression raiding, particularly as a healer.
    Last edited by Ahov; 07-04-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Hey There

So I am new rift player coming from wow. Is this spec viable for 5 man expert or is the spike damage to much? Since I played discipline I feel comfortable in this spec or is it just going to be sentinel and Purifier? Thanks for the help

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Symbol of the Sun - Your primary shielding ability, so important that it deserves an entire essay regarding its usage. It will spread to players nearest your target and apply the Burnout debuff,

Another example where I absolutely adore the reactive purifier playstyle is Hard Mode Gelidra. Basically any time multiple players are frozen due to them failing mechanics, they are right next to each other. This usually means you can use one GCD and your symbol of the sun will shield anyone frozen via Emblem of Ashes, and then proceed with a flare-up proc for double the shielding.
    Actually this is wrong, and probally a bug. The extra 2 shields form this talent go to the closest 2 poeple in a line to the cleric casting the shield, and not the reciever. So depending on how you postion yourself, yes it can hit the people next to him, but it also wont if there are people between you and them.

You can test this if you want to.
    Last edited by Weenz; 07-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Weenz - <Favouritism> Because everyone knows why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vioarr View Post
    I am the guild leader, how can I possibly be carried?

Plane Touched

I want to underscore the importance of using Symbols correctly when playing a Purifier. It is literally, for now, the main difference between a competent Purifier and someone who should be doing something else.

As Ahov has mentioned, there are 2 uses to shields. Because of Burnout, you are penalized for spamming Symbols on players, in that if they begin taking damage, you can't use a Symbol to save them, and instead need to spend a significant number of GCDs to keep them alive. On progression fights, there are no GCDs to spare if you play Purifier properly, so this means a death, typically. You might keep that player alive by spamming more flares, but your tank may fall over in the process.

I felt the need to underscore several scenarios and why spamming shields mindlessly is never optimal because I've had fellow guildmates point out things to me when they heal with other Purifiers. Purifiers are complimentary to healers. They aren't healers. Stop trying to pad your HPS meter with shields. If you do it correctly, your healer can literally ignore most raid damage and focus mechanics, because you're taking advantage of Flare Up and existing raid healing rather than trying to heal the damage yourself (your SPS is the lowest effective raid HPS of Warden and Chloro, and you have Bard/Defiler/Salvation/Consumable heals for free happening or cheaply available).

The problem arises from the form of play that involves you spamming shields followed by using cooldowns on the tank when everyone has Burnout or a shield. What this causes is the case where a player has Burnout but then takes damage in excess of the shield. You have NO way of deal with this damage, and therefore force your healer to react. This is a GCD that healer would otherwise not need to use, and then you'll be spending GCDs to top them off if that's insufficient, which results in many GCDs raid-wide being wasted on your mistake.

As Ahov points out, the only time where you should be spamming shields via EoA is during times when you know very little, if any, raid damage will happen, but there's potentially RNG damage going out, or if a huge amount of AoE is about to happen but there is no need for spot healing. You want to time this spreading such that your Burnout is gone but the shields remain, so you can save anyone who needs extra help. You can't be this precise by spamming shields with a macro.

For instance, I am able to nearly take care of all raid damage on Kyzan as a Purifier (yes, I do agree that a Warden is better for this fight, but it is more forgiving for raid mistakes to run a Purifier). I do this by timing shield spreading during either of the big AoEs so that at the end, nobody has Burnout but has a shield, followed by GoF and spreading new shields once those are eaten by the AoE. Generally, people lose at most 20-30% of their health from both going off back-to-back. If you just stand there spamming SoS on everyone, you're probably requiring a second healer to do a massive amount of raid healing to compensate. I've watched guilds progressing on this fight using a Purifier wipe consistently to this.

The other important use of shields is reactive shielding. This is the most difficult to understand for people who don't play Purifier often or well. This is where it provides a utility that cannot be provided by any of our other healing souls: it allows the Purifier to excel at spot healing. This is also essential if you want to take advantage of heals that already exist in your raid. The idea is to shield AFTER damage occurs, not before. It's less obvious, because this contradicts the long-held belief that shields are purely preventative measures.

There are several reasons you want to shield a person receiving particularly heavy damage AFTER they take damage initially. If you shield a player who is not at 100% health, they can still receive healing. If you consider a player's "health" their health amount + any shields on them, the shield being delayed means that a player's health can be healed to beyond 100% by a normal healer. This allows normal raid healing that already exists and is free to become significantly more effective. Additionally, if that player is taking significant damage, Flare Up will be triggered, causing the shield to be 100% more effective. Considering that these shields are around 14k in raid, that's a 28k heal for 1 GCD. Most cooldowns don't do this much effective healing, which is why Flare Up is easily the strongest healing talent in the game. It is only useful when you shield reactively. And finally, what's more important, is that by reactively shielding a player, you can then repeatedly heal them for a chance to remove the Burnout, allowing you to re-shield them sooner. This is less useful if you are spot-healing someone who had Burnout placed on them during shield spamming, because Burnout probably has 4-5 seconds remaining, rather than 14, meaning you have fewer GCDs to potentially remove Burnout. This is generally most useful on tanks.

When used properly, reactive shielding is able to deal with every Mindsear in just 2 GCDs from the Purifier, yet a lot of people hold the belief that this spot healing mechanic is difficult to deal with.

If you're a Chloro reading this guide wondering if your Purifier is just bad because you're used to responding to all raid damage with spot heals (a symptom of shieldbotting), this is going to be an awkward playstyle for you to learn to heal with. It requires that you trust that your Purifier will not make any mistakes with their GCDs and will properly shield people as they take damage. You'll have to just trust that someone who starts to take damage isn't necessarily in imminent danger.
    Last edited by Polystyrene; 07-20-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Soulwalker

You said at the top of this page you would use a 54 purifier build for 5 mans. I was looking for a leveling build for purifier, that i could maybe use for 5 mans also. I hope you can me with this.

Quote Originally Posted by gamerjay530 View Post
    You said at the top of this page you would use a 54 purifier build for 5 mans. I was looking for a leveling build for purifier, that i could maybe use for 5 mans also. I hope you can me with this.
    If by "leveling" you mean solo, it's a healing spec so while it is possible to solo with it would be nightmarishly boring and a waste of time. Druid or defiler based builds are much more effective.

But as far as healing dungeons while leveling it is possible with Purifier. But since leveling groups are usually less experienced with the dungeon it can be more difficult, Purifier has less "oh crap" buttons than Sentinel especially at lower levels. The idea is you keep the whole group shielded with Symbol of the Sun and otherwise cast wards on the tank and spot heal with Healing Breath/Healing Flare. Latent Blaze with Flashover is also one of your greatest healing tools as it can be maintained preventatively on multiple party members and only goes off when it's needed.

Note Purifier will be changing soon and you will only be able to keep Symbol of the Sun on three party members at most, however your other heals/shields will be stronger most likely.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Shadowlander

Hi, thanks again for these guid Ahov !

Though, I have few questions:

- Did you make some maths to determine which is better between +2% spell power and +1% on heal and absorption ? The difference might not be significant ?
    - Then I wonder why do you spec as 54/21/1 (Inqui) and not as 54/21/1 (Warden), cause you would be able to use Healing spray.
    - Finally I wonder if a 54/20/2 could be relevant (this way: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmnIrVMc...ltfgzqcMIzuRvz) in order to get Overflowing Renewal ? Guessing that in R20 you have enough decurse done by other healer

You linked to the same build as the OP. Regardless going 20 points into Sentinel and not picking up the AoE cleanse for one more point is pointless, until Puri gets one added. Healing Spray is not really necessary as you have shielding and healing flare. Overflowing Renewal is far more useless in this spec.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Shadowlander

I understand about the AoE cleanse, but I disagree about Healing spray :

With my current stuff (Full BiS pr-R20), My Healing spray make 5200 whereas Healing flare 2300. I need more than 2 GCD with Healing flare to make the same amount of heal by Healing flare.

I really think this is a good help, either healraid (as drood did on WoW BC) or a bonus for the tank.

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmnIEVMc...ltfgzqcMIzuRvo

PS: What "Wards" exactly represent in "Hot streak" ?
    Last edited by Rcmens; 08-13-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Soulwalker

Please make a new one for the purifier updates, I love your guides ;)

Soulwalker

+1 for update

Telaran

does this still work now... or is it out of date as of the last patch?

Shadowlander

Just after went to EE with my guild, I have the feeling that this spec became > Sentinel.

Thoughts ?

Shadowlander

The build does work. Some are using a similar build for the second aoe cleanse.

The concept of purifier changed completley after the last patch. Now you will use wards for tank healing and you got new abilities (for example the 61 puri skill).

The shield spam macro does not work anymore and you are more a tank healer than a shield spamming raid healer now.

There is a newer guide with a 61 puri build. You should read that one.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gilberto View Post
    The build does work. Some are using a similar build for the second aoe cleanse.

The concept of purifier changed completley after the last patch. Now you will use wards for tank healing and you got new abilities (for example the 61 puri skill).

The shield spam macro does not work anymore and you are more a tank healer than a shield spamming raid healer now.

There is a newer guide with a 61 puri build. You should read that one.
    Yeah, the 61 puri build is really viable. And it's funny, because Puri went from having **** ST heals to being basically a tank healer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast