+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By Lyannah
  • 4 Post By Lyannah
  • 1 Post By TheGrinnz

Thread: New or returning clerics - FAQs

Default New or returning clerics - FAQs

Got tired of seeing the same questions posted over and over, so here is a list of FAQs for new or returning clerics

1. There are so many souls and itís all so confusing, which ones do I choose?

If you scroll down to the second post, I will outline the general mechanics for each of the souls so you can make a more informed choice about the playstyle that suits you. However, it is important to know that you can change your points spent and soul trees at any time by visiting a class trainer for a nominal fee - so chop and change as much as you like to get a feel for the different souls.

2. I want to heal, but I don't want to be just a healer - can I dps too?

Yes, you can purchase additional roles (other soul and point combinations of your choosing) from the class trainer, the first few additional roles are cheap but the more you buy the more expensive they get - for the lower levels you are better off just resetting your points at a class trainer than spending all your plat on extra roles, having 3 roles is cheap and will do you comfortably to 50

3. Are clerics wanted in raids? And for not just healing?

Yes, as long as you can follow mechanics and turn up as often as your guild wants you, being a cleric is not a hindrance to getting a raid spot (as long as the guild is not already flush for clerics). Cleric DPS is fairly well balanced with all other callings, and the game is patched fairly regularly tweaking the numbers so what might not be top dps today will be tomorrow.

4. What build should I use for levelling?

The generic answer is whatever you want, but there are 2 cleric souls designed with soloability in mind - druid and defiler. Both of these classes are pet classes, although druid's pet is controllable, defiler pet is just a totem that holds the clerics aggro for them until it dies or the mob dies and is obtainable at level 16+. Its also worth noting that having a 0 point justicar soul as part of your build nets you a small amount of healing whenever damage is done, and is often used as a 3rd soul in solo builds - or even spending a few more points in the tree to increase that healing.

5. Does putting points in healing trees lower my DPS and vice versa?

Yes it does. If you hover your mouse over the base of each soul tree you will see a description of the soul and an outline of the "gift" received per point spent (PPS) in that tree. Putting points in a DPS tree boosts damaging abilities by 1% PPS, and healing for healing tees - so making a half healing half dps hybrid build will net you something that doesn't heal well and doesn't dps well once you go up in levels and those percentages start to add up. At lower levels its less of a concern since the percentages are small additions to an abilities healing or damage. Its worth noting that warden and defiler have boosts to both healing and damage (1% healing and 0.5% damage PPS), and justicar has tank stat boosts and has 0.5% damage PPS.

6. Can clerics tank well?

Yes, while they only have the one tanking tree, the aggro mechanics for cleric are very simple and effective, and they have a number of cooldowns, making them very good tanks. You will need a separate set of gear for tanking, including a shield and gear that is higher in endurance. At lower levels dungeons, you can get away with dps gear and a shield.

7. I just returned, are my Ėicar builds still good? What about duracell for levelling?

Short answer no, they nerfed DoL and salvation healing.

8. Iíve been in a looking for dungeon queue for ages, why am I not getting a group?

The dungeon finder looks for 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 dps and 1 support across a number of shards. At lower levels there may not be enough people looking, but more likely noone has chosen the role of tank or healer.

9. How do I queue as support as a cleric?

Druid and defiler souls are deemed to be support by the LFD system.

10. Do I need hit and toughness?

You will need hit for expert dungeons, raids, raid rifts and some level 50+ world events. You need toughness if you plan on tanking the aforementioned. You donít need either for anything pre-50.

11. Whatís a good PvP build?

At lower levels they all work fairly well. At higher levels inquisitor heavy builds seem to be favored due to its range and high tree abilities, and cabalist for AEing and CC, but there are plenty of unique builds out there that work well with practice. Healing is mostly sent for good ST heals or warden for AE heals and thereís plenty of hybridization around.

12. Are the premade builds any good?

When you don't know what you're doing, yes. As you get more experience you will chop and change the builds to suit your own needs, but they certainly point you in the right direction.

13. Is there an advantage to using a 2-hander vs a 1-hander and offhander for melee specs?

No. Weapon damage has no bearing on your DPS anymore, go for the combination that nets you the most stats.

14. What stats should I get as a dps/healer/tank?

1 WIS nets you 0.75 spell power and 0.5 spell crit, 1 INT nets you 0.25 spell power and 0.5 spell crit. DPS and healers should be trying to stack spell power and crit power (spell crit is a very weak stat at the moment). Tanks should stack END - debating tanking stats vs more hp are pretty useless at the low end of tanking, END is king. Note: STR and DEX used to be beneficial to cleric tanks - they aren't any more, get rid of your old warrior and rogue tank lessers.

15. What's a good raiding healer build?

All cleric builds have their place, although currently chloromancer usually replaces sentinel for tank heals. Warden and purifier are sort after for raid heals and raid mitigation, and defiler is needed for tank mitigation and their 61 point ability.

Cleric Souls - a basic outline

Healing Souls: Sentinel, Purifier, Warden, Defiler*
    Melee DPS Souls: Shaman, Druid
    Caster DPS Souls: Inquisitor, Cabalist, Defiler*
    Tanking soul: Justicar
    * Defiler fills both these roles, is best described as heal support. Only available with storm legion.

Sentinel - big single target heals, lots of cooldowns, an AE cleanse, average AE heals

Purifier - big shields with small heals, full cleanse (removes all cleansables), at high levels mitigates large amounts of raid damage

Warden - AE healing soul, multiple heals over time, an AE cleanse over time, ok for low level dungeons but won't keep tanks alive at high levels

Defiler - A support soul, deals average damage and mitigates a large amount of damage on the group through links. Can solo very well, can also heal fairly well at higher levels, not good for dungeons until at least level 40 when you get explosive growth.

Shaman - high single target DPS, good AE DPS. The rotation is somewhat complicated at higher levels (rotating physical and non-physical attacks), and survivability is low

Druid - pet based soul, at low levels you get a healing pet and a tank pet and at higher levels you get melee dps pet, AE ranged dps pet, and improved healing and tanking pets. The rotation is simple, survivability is high and the ST and AE dps is average.

Inquisitor - high single target DPS, low AE DPS. Simple rotation, low survivability.

Cabalist - very high AE DPS, low single target DPS. Simple rotation, low survivability, lots of nice crowd control abilities. Combines nicely with defiler for a solid solo build.

Justicar - tanking soul that damages and heals for aggro, and damaging abilities heal. Plenty of cooldowns at higher levels, its a very solid soul.

***Disclaimer: The information above is part fact and part opinion, the facts may change as future patches change soul dynamics, and opinions are just that and will vary from person to person.

Nice post. Just one nitpick. For healing you should focus on spellpower whenever possible, you can't rely on crits.

Awesome post, thanks a ton for this! Now can you do one for the other classes as well? lol

There have been so many changes since my friends and I last played that it's almost overwhelming. Basically like starting a new game except while trying to battle outdated prejudices.

Soulwalker

great post.

as a returning melee-dps cleric druid/shaman (i used to play around release and raided the first two raids), i was used to the spells that turned your spell power into attack power and spell crit to melee crit. but now, these spells are gone? what's up with that? what was changed so that is not reqiured anymore?

I try to find some information but i just had no luck. a short explanation would be very appreciated.

thank you

Rift Chaser

Links to the builds like the mages section please !!!! for those can find real decent build (REAL deals not stupid trolls ones)
    -Drakeos 60 Warrior (retired)
    -Falados 60 Mage (Main toon/farming)
    -Drakeosim - 50+ Cleric (DPS only)

Quote Originally Posted by Befaro View Post
    great post.

as a returning melee-dps cleric druid/shaman (i used to play around release and raided the first two raids), i was used to the spells that turned your spell power into attack power and spell crit to melee crit. but now, these spells are gone? what's up with that? what was changed so that is not reqiured anymore?

I try to find some information but i just had no luck. a short explanation would be very appreciated.

thank you
    It's no longer needed. Attack power and physical crit (and weapon DPS) do nothing for clerics now, all abilities use spellpower/spell crit.

Bummed to see the icar specs tossed in the trash. Those were great fun.

Soulwalker

Default Duracell replacement? Sent/Pure/Ward replacement?

As someone who is just coming back to the game after a long time, I've been completely thrown for a loop. I have no idea where to start as my delay beloved Duracell build has been rendered useless and the Chloromancer can now out pace my Sent/Pure/Warden build for main tank heals in a Raid.

Is there a build that gives you the same feel as a Duracell? just to give you an idea: the cleric is lvl 50 and HAD the best in slot crafted stuff before i left. so, I have 66 points to start out with... and what about PA? where do I start?

Thank you!!!

What about item Procs from Trinkets, Planar essences and stuff?

Do we pick up things for weapon damage, physical damage, spell damage? This seems a mess from what I've seen so far.

I tried out the trinket from the Iron Claw, "chance on phys attack" only proc'd on auto hits. I now have a Planar essence the procs on "damaging spells" it seems to only proc on ranged abilities like Bolt of Judgment.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eilauria View Post
    What about item Procs from Trinkets, Planar essences and stuff?

Do we pick up things for weapon damage, physical damage, spell damage? This seems a mess from what I've seen so far.

I tried out the trinket from the Iron Claw, "chance on phys attack" only proc'd on auto hits. I now have a Planar essence the procs on "damaging spells" it seems to only proc on ranged abilities like Bolt of Judgment.
    procs from trinkets are lol-worthy at best. pick trinkets FIRST based on stats and THEN on basis of procs.
    proc rate is ~4-10% but the damage/healing is so low that the proc heals/dps is just 1% of my dps/heals.

procs from essences are better. i know for a fact that a warrior charred/scalding procs ~50-60% of the time for 1.5 GCD attacks and is close to 80% proc rate for 1 GCD attacks. so i usually have it up ~70% of the time. i havent tested this on my cleric yet.

fyi, im using a healing trinket from iDH (ebb of hydris) on my cleric, due to the awesome amount of stat it has.

clerics ONLY use wisdom/intelligence and spellpower for damage calculations. you can absolutely ignore weapon dps.

spellpower = wisdom > crit power > intelligence > spell crit hit.

there are only 1 kind of greater essences that SHOULD be put in greater essence slot : the relic upgraded torvan ones, or the relic fae yule ones.

other than that, you should NEVER put any greater essence by itself in the slot, what you should do is to put the lessers in the slot. because stats >>> procs.

also, ignore pre-lvl 50 trinkets. they are a waste, and only offer extremely minor advantages (+30 spellpower for 10 seconds with a 5 minute cooldown... LOL (the deepstrike mines one, golem core or something))

+ Reply to Thread