Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eskatol

Thread: In-Depth Shaman Guide

Rift Disciple

Default In-Depth Shaman Guide

Why post another guide?

Spoiler!

The Spec: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...lkGBlhlkll4/n8

So a bit of a disclaimer here: Shaman is really difficult to play. This is not a spec you just a read a couple guides on and immediately see a huge DPS increase. It will take practice, both on the dummies and in dungeons/rift raids. If you aren't able or willing to practice, you're better of sticking with Inquisitor. If you are willing to put in the work, however, your DPS will greatly surpass your Inquisitor's DPS.

As far as gear is concerned...om nom nom Crit Power. Shammy's crit chance is ridiculously high.

General Principles

Spoiler!

Macros, Abilities, and Buffs

Like Ahov said in his guide, everyone likes their own macros. If you have no idea what to do for Shaman macros, these are the ones that I personally use and find helpful.

Spoiler!

A Word About Ability Queues

I highly recommend using full ability queues for Shaman. Since Shaman has a 1 sec GCD, there are more opportunities for "down time" in between GCDs and more downtime = DPS loss. In my opinion, using full ability queues minimizes this risk. It will take some getting used to if you've been playing on the default "short ability queue". If you do choose to use full ability queues, do your best to follow the "one click per GCD" rule. Do NOT spam your abilities.

Rotations and Rules

Single Target

Spoiler!

AOE

Spoiler!

Thx for taking the time to write the guide bloke much appreciated. Having a crack at the Shammy atm and enjoying it. Your guide fills in the blanks on a lot of my previously unanswered questions in others. Quick questions though, been doing some research on weps to use.

Is it correct that wep dmg is meh now? and wep stats are greater than wep dmg? 2h staff or hammer for melee? or 1h and totem offH for melee?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsha View Post
    Thx for taking the time to write the guide bloke much appreciated. Having a crack at the Shammy atm and enjoying it. Your guide fills in the blanks on a lot of my previously unanswered questions in others. Quick questions though, been doing some research on weps to use.

Is it correct that wep dmg is meh now? and wep stats are greater than wep dmg? 2h staff or hammer for melee? or 1h and totem offH for melee?
    Not a problem, glad to help. That is correct, weapon damage doesn't really matter any more and you should focus on which weapon set up will give you the best stats. If you're a real min maxer, one does have to consider that you will auto attack for slightly more with a 2h weapon as opposed to a MH/OH combo, but the difference is usually pretty small.

I gotta say though... Shaman just feels more satisfying with a 2 hander lol.

tyvm for the reply and i have to agree, it does feel more satisfying with a 2h

Soulwalker

Thanks for adding more to this. To clarify, looking at the priority list, does that mean that during the execute phase, you ignore everything with a +30% next to it? Or do you merely insert GS into it during that time?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by EarFun View Post
    Thanks for adding more to this. To clarify, looking at the priority list, does that mean that during the execute phase, you ignore everything with a +30% next to it? Or do you merely insert GS into it during that time?
    The latter. GS is great, but still lower on the priority list than FW or a buffed MB or CE. Also, it can be good to try and save GS so that it will be ready to roll when you have Deep Freeze going. Takes some practice to know when to start saving it but when you do... it's awesome.

+ Reply to Thread