+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Def/Cab "Swiss Army Knife" Build and Guide

Default Def/Cab "Swiss Army Knife" Build and Guide

I've been seeing lots of requests for solo specs recently so I thought I'd share mine. Although I do primarily use it for grinding it's a very efficient use of a role slot as the build is also an excellent healing support spec for dungeons and a very powerful AoE DPS spec in it's own right. If this build doesn't work out for you I'd recommend Ahov's Druid/Inq, explained here, as a really good alternative.

Def/Cab
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#E...w/Uv2G9854g/nd

The key to using this spec is Beacon of Despair. While it is active it inherits all your aggro, takes all the hits for you and the damage is shared between you due to it's inherent link. All of the damage you take can be mitigated with Husk of Indifference though which will automatically apply when you cast a heal (including Siphon Vitality). If the beacon should die however, all the mobs will turn on you so it's imperative you keep it alive.

Healing Abilities

While soloing your main focus will be the Beacon but you can also provide some healing in a group. It works in exactly the same way as a full Defiler minus Explosive Growth, Unstable Transformation and Link of Agony. Basically, doing damage will automatically apply stacks of Foul Growth to the targets of your links based on the % of those links (the Beacon has a 50% one so with 2 points spent in Rampant Growth gets FG 100% of the time). They will stack up to 3 times and will each heal a set amount when they expire after 10 seconds of inactivity, or they are detonated by Loathsome Restoration.

DPS Abilities

Just as with any Cabalist heavy build the brunt of your DPS comes from Tyranny of Death: apply it to one mob, spread it to 8 others with Bound Fate and detonate them with Disintegration (when one Tyranny detonates it will also trigger any Tyranny on any of the mobs it hits causing a chain reaction). When your Disintegration is on CD just spam Bound Fate until a Tyranny expires or one of the mobs dies (either will cause a detonation), reapply Tyranny, rinse and repeat. Don't forget to use Maelstrom to pull all the mobs together if needed.

For ST DPS your rotation relies on DoTs and is a little more complicated:

Toggle "Obliterate" on
    >Marrow Harvest
    >Tyranny of Death
    >Disintegration
    >Tyranny of Death
    >Dark Water
    >Marrow Harvest
    >Siphon Vitality
    >Vex
    >Curse of Discord
    >Bond of Pain/Bound Fate (BoP has a 30s duration so you'll alternate with BF to avoid clipping it)
    REPEAT

Macros

I personally don't really use any macros in this spec but you could bundle some of the DPS abilities together if you're that way inclined.

#show Marrow Harvest
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Dark Water
    cast Somatic Desecration

#show Tyranny of Death
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Tyranny of Death
    cast Bound Fate

This one helps keep the beacon up though;

#show Loathsome Restoration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @pet Loathsome Restoration

Buffs

Armour of Devotion
    Either Rage Blight (DPS) or Grief Blight (HPS)

Crystals

I personally recommend using the Defiler crystal for the Bond SP boost and it's amazing Hideous Reconstruction buff. The Cabalist crystal provides a reasonable alternative as it boosts your Disintegration for a little more DPS.

Levelling with Def/Cab

I didn't really intend for this build to be used for levelling but I've been asked a few times if it's possible so I've played around with it and came up with this. These are just recommendations and some people may prefer to spend their points in a different way as they progress

Lvl 20
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#E8/Ugvki/nd
    This is probably the lowest level you can start with this build as it gives you Bound Fate, Tyranny and the Beacon.

Lvl 30
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#E8g/Uv3Wyi10/nd
    Very important milestone here as you now have Shackles of Fate for that all important Tyranny spreading.

Lvl 40
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Ekt0kg/Uv3Wyi10/nd
    Now you have Bond of Pain for some ST punch, Scarred Heart to reduce link damage and Hideous Reconstruction for the healing.

Lvl 50
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Ekv0kgU/Uv2G9854o/nd
    This is the point at which this becomes a viable support spec as you get Grief Blight, Rampant Growth, a combat res and the 20% link. You also get Disintegration so you can start manually detonating Tyranny.

Conclusion

This build provides great survivability, excellent AoE DPS (exceeding 61 Cab in a GHR environment), reasonable ST DPS (9k is achievable with T1 gear while soloing) and very good healing support.
    Last edited by Sikarius; 07-15-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Rampant Growth correction

Soulwalker

got a question about this build.

in defiler build could it be better to move 1 point from "Scarred Heart" to "Horrible Visage"?

if i understand this correct you will get 1% more damage, and from skill description the links are to be cast on allies? so when soloing it seems like they cant be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacz View Post
    got a question about this build.

in defiler build could it be better to move 1 point from "Scarred Heart" to "Horrible Visage"?

if i understand this correct you will get 1% more damage, and from skill description the links are to be cast on allies? so when soloing it seems like they cant be used?
    One of the strengths of this build is that it's an excellent healing support build for dungeons too so I like to keep Scarred Heart. If you're going to use it exclusively for soloing you could probably drop it but I've not tested Scarred's effect on the beacon link, it may be that by losing it you will take more damage from the beacon.
    Last edited by Sikarius; 06-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Yes the Beacon has a link auto applied so you definitely want Scarred Heart.

Soulwalker

Default Leveling

Is this a good build for leveling? I just rolled up a new cleric, and already put a couple points in defiler, so I have to use that. I'd prefer to level a build that will be useful throughout the game, so I don't have to spend the money to respec later. If you were going to level with this build, what would the progression look like?

Quote Originally Posted by payprplayn View Post
    Is this a good build for leveling? I just rolled up a new cleric, and already put a couple points in defiler, so I have to use that. I'd prefer to level a build that will be useful throughout the game, so I don't have to spend the money to respec later. If you were going to level with this build, what would the progression look like?
    I haven't really thought about using it that way to be honest so I'll play around with the build, see if I can make something work and edit the guide later. Just with a preliminary glance though, I think the huge chunk of DPS you lose by not having the points to spend in the talents high in either tree will probably make it inefficient.

Don't worry about changing your build as you level though, the cost is low and Platinum is easy to come by. It's also worth buying extra role slots so you can switch back and forth between builds on a whim, you will definitely need them come end game anyway.

Soulwalker

I think I'll run with it anyway for the time being. It's not like there's any build that won't work for early levels. I'll switch to something else when I buy my first alternate spec. (we're talking about a lvl 3 toon at this point, I just like to have a plan).

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sikarius;43<
    For ST DPS your rotation relies on DoTs and is a little more complicated:
    <snip>
    [Obliterate on
    >Marrow Harvest
    >Tyranny of Death
    >Disintegration
    >Tyranny of Death
    >Dark Water
    >Marrow Harvest
    >Siphon Vitality
    >Vex
    >Curse of Discord
    >Bond of Pain/Bound Fate (BoP has a 30s duration so you'll alternate with BF to avoid clipping it)
    REPEAT
    <snip>
    Two questions: 1) What is "obliterate/on"?
    2) Where do you get "vex"?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vilemon View Post
    Sorry, operator error.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilemon View Post
    Obliterate is a oGCD buff (36point in cabalist) that makes bound fate, tyranny of death and disintegrate hit a single target only, but for twice the damage - putting it in a macro like he has just toggles it on if it is off.

Vex is an inquisitor dot.

@OP I'd definitely swap points out of pain of the chosen (10% curse crit chance) for swift disintegration (15% BF and Dis damage). Personal preference, I'd drop maelstrom for ravaging darkness for less downtime.

A popular variation on this build drops the 2 points in inq for 0 point justi, and spends the points in defiler to get explosive growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyannah View Post
    @OP I'd definitely swap points out of pain of the chosen (10% curse crit chance) for swift disintegration (15% BF and Dis damage). Personal preference, I'd drop maelstrom for ravaging darkness for less downtime.
    Good spot, I overlooked that but it is now corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyannah View Post
    A popular variation on this build drops the 2 points in inq for 0 point justi, and spends the points in defiler to get explosive growth.
    Due to the loss of Vex, SP and 5% Crit this is a fairly substantial DPS drop and I have personally never needed EG while soloing (having used it against 8+ mobs in the hive with absolutely no trouble). There could be a case for EG in a dungeon support capacity though but I'm still not sure it's worth the DPS loss.
    Last edited by Sikarius; 07-13-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Def/Cab "Swiss Army Knife" build and guide here.

Yea don't get me wrong, its a DPS loss absolutely. But for PvP, and for things like hunt rifts where spot healing (not just your beacon) is a possibility, its worth it - you can't effectively spot heal as defiler until you get that spell. For soloing I would use your variation.

Nice build glad to see someone else going outside the norm. Liked +1

Rift Chaser

Is there any macro's for the dots to be added up kinda hate having spells cluttered over my bars
    -Drakeos 60 Warrior (retired)
    -Falados 60 Mage (Main toon/farming)
    -Drakeosim - 50+ Cleric (DPS only)

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeos99 View Post
    Is there any macro's for the dots to be added up kinda hate having spells cluttered over my bars
    The only one you can macro is Dark Water as the others are instant cast with no cooldown. I'm personally not a fan of macroing DPS abilities together but if you want to reduce your hot-bars the following ones are possible

#show marrow harvest
    Suppressmacrofailures
    Cast marrow harvest
    Cast dark water
    Cast somatic desecration

#show tyranny of death
    Suppressmacrofailures
    Cast tyranny of death
    Cast bound fate

I understand that people might not share my preferences so I'll add them to the guide.
    Def/Cab "Swiss Army Knife" build and guide here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast