+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [2.3] Empyreal Assault: Cleric Tanking Guide

Soulwalker

Default [2.3] Empyreal Assault: Cleric Tanking Guide

[2.3: Empyreal Assault]: Cleric Tanking Guide

**PLEASE NOTE: This guide is intended for players who are currently at max level, and are interested in or are new to tanking as a cleric.**

My intention on this guide, is to shine some light and share some tips on how to tank a Cleric, and how you can make your gameplay experience even more enjoyable. I would first like to establish, that what I publish in this guide is necessarily the “only way” to fulfill your role as a tanking Cleric. Read this guide merely as numerous suggestions on playing a Cleric Tank. Please feel free to leave other suggestions on this thread, but please be respectful in doing so. If you cannot leave a respectful comment/suggestion, then please refrain from saying anything at all. I hope this guide provides some insight for you on tanking as a Cleric!

Tanking as a Cleric:

Unlike Warriors and Rogues, Cleric tanks use mana as their source of energy. But similar to Warrior tanks, we use a one-handed weapon, along with a off-hand, a shield. Cleric tanks aren’t able to wield guns and bows like Warriors and Rogues, but instead TRION has implemented wands that offer the necessary tanking stats that prove beneficial to a Cleric. The Cleric tanking soul, “Justicar”, emphasizes on using abilities that deal Life Damage, while healing your allies. The healing abilities, whether it is passive or not, is what makes a Cleric tank differ from a Rogue or Warrior. These healing abilities will also assist you in holding aggro (will explain these abilities later in this guide). The Justicar soul also provides the Cleric with many damage mitigation abilities that are unique.

The Specs:

6 Inquisitor / 61 Justicar / 9 Shaman
    Specific Build Layout: http://www.riftscene.com/soul-builder/?build=756

This build is the most popular build used for Cleric Tanking. This is the ideal spec for dungeons, whether they are normal or expert difficulty. With release of Storm Legion, there is unfortunately very little wiggle room when creating a tanking spec for a Cleric. You will find that it is ideal to have the entire Justicar soul tree filled out to the max of the 61 points for any Cleric tanking spec.

6 Inquisitor / 61 Justicar / 9 Cabalist
    Specific Build Layout: http://www.riftscene.com/soul-builder/?build=771

This build is great for those specific encounters that involve a lot of magic damage. It is very similar to the above spec, for the exception that we now incorporate the Cabalist tree in substitution of the Shaman soul. The reasoning behind this is because the Cabalist soul provides Dark Harbor, a self buff that increases all resistances by 3%. This buff makes healing the Cleric tank somewhat an easier job during those specific boss encounters that deal heavy magic damage.

Ability Overview:

Below I will discuss the numerous abilities that a Cleric Tank should be familiar with, and have in his/her arsenal at all times. I will go over the buffs, damage, threat, and healing abilities.

Buffs:

Cavalier: This is a passive buff, which allows life-damaging abilities to grant the Cleric Convictions. Convictions are like a attack points/combo points, that allow a Cleric to cast certain abilities during an encounter.

Salvation: This is a passive buff, which allows all abilities that deal Life Damage to heal the cleric, the ally who is buffed with Righteous Mandate, along with members of your group/raid.

Righteous Mandate: This is a one-hour buff that you can place on any ally, resulting in that ally receiving healing from your Salvation. **If you are tanking in a 20 man raid, it is unwise to place the Righteous Mandate on the other tank, as this will most likely result in a aggro issue. It will be more safe to place this buff on a healer.**

Mein of Honor: This is a self-buff that lasts for one-hour and has a cooldown of 15 seconds. This is the ideal buff to have active when you are incorporating the Justicar soul in a support build. Mein of Honor reduces threat generation with damaging abilities by 50%. Along with increasing healing done by Justicar abilities by 10%.

Mein of Leadership: This is a self-buff that lasts for one-hour ad has a cooldown of 15 seconds. This is the ideal buff to have active at all times for when you are using the Justicar soul for a tanking spec. Mein of Leadership increases Endurance, Armor, and Resistances by 35%. Increases threat generation by 350%. Allows overhealing done by the Cleric to generate additional threat (very important). Reduces damage done, healing done, and absorption granted with non-Justicar abilities by 40%.

Armor of Treachery: This is a self-buff that lasts for one-hour. Armor of Treachery increases both Armor and Endurance by 3%. Keep this buff enabled at all times while tanking.

Courage of the Bear: This is a self-buff that lasts for one-hour. Courage of the Bear increases Endurance by 3%. Keep this buff enabled at all times while tanking.

Vengeance of the Winter Storm: This is a self-buff that lasts for one-hour, and has a cooldown of 5 seconds. Vengeance of the Winterstorm causes weapon attacks to deal an additional 87 to 96 Water damage. Keep this buff enabled at all times, because the more damage output you have will make establishing and maintaining aggro more easier.

Damaging Abilities:

Bolt of Radiance: This ability is a single target (ST) damage spell that deals between 3265 to 3608 Life Damage from 30 meters away from the target. Has a cooldown of 8 seconds.

Censure: This ability is a area effect (AE) damage spell that deals between 541 to 598 Life damage up to 10 nearby enemies. Reduces the Hit chance of enemies hit by 5% for 15 seconds. This ability does not require to have a enemy targeted to cast. No cooldown.

Hammer of Duty: This is a ST damage spell that consumes all current convictions and deals between 938 to 1036 Life Damage for each conviction consumed. This is a great ability to keep in your arsenal during a one boss encounter, because it assures that you will keep threat.

Even Justice: This is a AE damage spell that deals between 1082 to 1196 Life Damage to up to 5 enemies in front of the cleric. This will be your spam ability when tanking large number of enemies.

Hammer of Faith: This is AE damage spell that consumes all current convictions and deals between 978 to 1081 Life Damage for each conviction consumed to the enemy and up to 4 additional enemies. This ability is usable from melee to 30m away from your target. This is personally one of my favorite abilities to use when pulling trash during experts/raids because it deals a moderate amount of damage and establishes a good amount of threat.

Reckoning: This is a ST damage spell that deals 3392 to 3749 Life Damage. This is a ranged ability that is useable from 30m away from your target. I personally don’t use this ability often, but I still keep on my action bars, and tend to use it as a “gap filler”.

Strike of Judgement: This is a ST melee ability that deals between 3290 to 3637 Life Damage to a single target. This ability will be your spam ability while tanking an encounter that only involves one boss/mob.

Strike of Retribution: This is a ST melee ability with a cooldown of 6 seconds that deals between 1637 to 1809 Life Damage, but can only be used after the Cleric has Blocked.

Massive Blow: This is a ST melee ability with a 15 second cooldown that deals between 5458 to 6032 physical damage.

Combat Buffs:

Total Assurance: This ability has a cooldown of 1 minute. Grants 7 convictions, and increases damage and healing with convictions by 50% for 30 seconds or until those convictions are spent. KEEP THIS ABILITY NEAR REACH! If you are doing your job right as a Cleric tank, you will find yourself using Total Assurance very often.

Precept of Refuge: This ability has a cooldown of 5 seconds. Deals between 2668 to 2949 Life Damage to a single target, and increases the Cleric’s Block by 5% for 8 seconds. REQUIRES A SHIELD. Make sure that you constantly keep this ability active at all times while tanking, whether it is a boss encounter or just trash.

Doctrine of Glory: This ability has a cooldown of 30 seconds, and consumes all active convictions. Reduces damage taken by 2.86% per conviction consumed. Lasts 4 seconds. I personally use this ability when I see my health drop below 65%, but you be the judge on when/if you use this ability.

Resplendent Embrace: This ability has a cooldown of 2 minutes, or 1 minute and 45, depending on your synergy crystal. Increases Maximum Health by 20%. Increases healing received by 50%. Lasts 10 seconds.

Healing/Absorption:

Absolution: This ability has a 5 minute cooldown. Brings the fallen ally back to life, restoring 100% health and 50% mana. USABLE IN COMBAT! Having a battle rez makes a Cleric Tank very useful in a group setting for obvious reasons.

Doctrine of Authority: This is a ST melee ability that has a cooldown of 15 seconds. Deals between 8349 to 9228 Life Damage. Restores 765 to 846 health up to 5 party or raid members. Removes 1 conviction. I personally like to involve this ability in my melee rotation to add a boost of healing, and take a minute of pressure from the healer. The option is completely up to you.

Doctrine of Bliss: This ability is a ST healing spell that restores between 1099 to 1215 health, and removes 1 conviction. I generally like to keep this ability on my action bars for a little bit of spot healing every now and then. Completely up to you, and your play style.

Doctrine of Loyalty: This ability is AE healing spell that restores between 299 to 331 health on up to 10 party or raid members, and removes 1 conviction. This specific healing spell should be used often, because this healing spell generates A LOT of threat.

Reprieve: This ability is a self-heal spell that restores 100% of the Cleric’s health and 50% of the Cleric’s Maximum Health to the target of the Cleric’s Righteous Mandate, and has a cooldown of 1 minute. It is obvious, but I am going to state it anyway, keep this ability close at hand because this is one of your “OH SH**” abilities. A warning though, if you are raiding and are tanking with another tank that involves multiple mobs, for example Kain in Endless Eclipse, you want to avoid using Reprieve, because you might find yourself stealing aggro from the other tank(s).

Just Defense: This ability is a self-absorption spell that absorbs damage equal to 50% of the Cleric’s Maximum Health. Lasts 10 seconds, and has a cooldown of 1 minute. Again, keep this spell close at hand because this is one of your “OH SH**” abilities.

Control/Utility:

Interdict: This ability is your interrupt. Keep this close at hand, since many encounters involve mechanics that need to be interrupted. Has a cooldown of 10 seconds. **NOTE: This interrupt is ranged! You don’t need to be in melee range for it to work!**

Sovereignty: This ability stuns your enemy for 2 seconds, and has a cooldown of 20 seconds. I personally ignore this ability, unless I am PvPing, but again, the decision is up to you.

Ride the Lightning: This is a utility ability that has a cooldown of 15 seconds. Charges at the enemy, dealing 679 to 750 Air Damage to the enemy and all enemies in the path to the enemy. Removes all movement impairing effects from the Cleric. I personally use this ability for encounters the require me to be inside a certain area to avoid damage, for example the first boss in the expert dungeon “Tower of the Shattered”.

Threat:

Provoke: This is a ST taunt that is usable from 30m away. Cooldown 8 seconds. I like to incorporate this taunt into my melee rotation/macro. If you choose to do this as well, just be mindful of the specific encounters that require tank swapping. You don’t want to be taunting off the MT/OT if it isn’t your turn yet.

Rebuke: This is a AE threat ability, with a cooldown of 1 minute. Pulls up to 5 enemies to the Cleric, forcing them to attack the Cleric for 3 seconds. I like to use this ability for when I am tanking trash pulls, and if there are casters in the mix. Or if I messed up, and need a “oops button” to pull the mobs off the healer.

Righteous Imperative: This is a AE threat ability, with a cooldown of 1 minute. Forces up to 10 nearby enemies to attack the Cleric for 3 seconds. I like to use this ability for when things get a bit out of control, and need to re-establish aggro quickly.

Stat Overview:

Below is a list of stats that you should prioritize while gearing up.

Toughness

Block

Endurance

Parry

Dodge

Wisdom

Intellect

Macro List:

Below I will provide the macros that I personally use. Please, do not feel obligated to use these macros. And I am not in anyway, stating that my macros are the best for tanking. But feel free to try them out.

AE Spam Macro:

#show Even Justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Even Justice

ST Spam Macro:

#show Strike of Retribution
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Strike of Retribution
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Provoke
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Strike of Judgment

Threat Macro: (I use this macro to quickly cast threat spells easily.)

#show Provoke
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Provoke
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Rebuke
    cast Righteous Imperative

Suggestions on Playing as a Cleric Tank:

Trash Pulls (Multiple Enemies):
    • Use Total Assurance
    • Cast Hammer of Faith
    • Rebuild Convictions using the AE Spam Macro
    • Cast Hammer of Faith
    • Repeat

Boss/Single Mob Pulls:
    • Use Total Assurance
    • Cast Hammer of Duty
    • Rebuild Convictions using the ST Spam Macro
    • Depending on where your health is throughout the fight, cast Hammer of Duty, or one of your mitigation abilities.

The above suggestions, are again, suggestions. This is simply what I find that works for me, and that I am comfortable with. Feel free to find something else that works for you!

THANK YOU FOR READING!

***Feel free to leave suggestions/comments below, but be respectful in doing so!***
    "You don't know how strong you are, till being strong is the only option."

Plane Touched

Never.
    Ever.
    Put your ST taunt into your main ST spam. It's like shooting yourself in the leg.

Also, Precept shouldn't be put into your aoe macro. You are losing significant aoe threat per cast.

Quote Originally Posted by harrydesmart View Post
    Never.
    Ever.
    Put your ST taunt into your main ST spam. It's like shooting yourself in the leg.
    10x this ^ Macroing taunts makes the baby Jesus cry.

Your ST macro should have Retribution at the bottom rather than the top, in fact all reactive abilities should be this way. Massive Blow should be removed as it has no threat modifier and generates no convictions and you should have reckoning in there after Judgment for use at range.

Courage of the Bear is 5%.

Don't macro DoA, it makes it so you do not use it efficiently with total Assurance.

Hard taunts in spam macro is bad.

Non justicar abilities are generally bad.

Your soul tree links link to an empty set of souls. Might want to fix that.
    Last edited by Cinnibar; 06-18-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Sunberry, cleric lead, Nicely Played, Faeblight; 2/4 GA; 1/4 HM; 1/3 IG; 1/5 PB

Soulwalker

Thank you! I will make these changes ASAP! I appreciate all feedback.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnibar View Post
    Don't macro DoA, it makes it so you do not use it efficiently with total Assurance.
    Not sure what you mean by this...DoA doesn't consume all convictions, so not sure why someone would use DoA injunction with Total Assurance. Or am I misunderstanding this?
    Last edited by Twinkletush; 06-18-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkletush View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this...DoA doesn't consume all convictions, so not sure why someone would use DoA injunction with Total Assurance. Or am I misunderstanding this?
    DoA consumes one conviction on use and if that conviction happens to be one acquired through Total Assurance DoA's damage and healing is increased by 50%.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sikarius View Post
    DoA consumes one conviction on use and if that conviction happens to be one acquired through Total Assurance DoA's damage and healing is increased by 50%.
    Oh! Gotcha.

The link to the basic build isn't working. Can you fix it?
    That which does not kill us, only makes us stranger

Soulwalker

UPDATED LINKS TO BUILDS

Basic Build: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmyfrxhzvluidRRARfkIGkvVo

Magic Build: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmyfoxhzvluidRRARfkIGkvxz

I apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused you!

Rift Disciple

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...lator-bis.html

http://www.riftscene.com/database/we...r/cleric_tank/

FIX YOUR STAT PRIORITY

You are doing a disservice by not posting proper information to all the new scrubs coming up.

completely delete the taunt macro it is bad bad on so many lvls. and as others have said, never put any taunt in any macro
    Last edited by scott0301; 06-19-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Soulwalker

Default Critiques!

Thanks for taking the time to post a guide, many people find them useful. I like the overall look and its short and concise. However, there is some misinformation in there, most of which has already been pointed out. Get those things cleared up and I give you a thumbs up.

The reason you never macro taunts is that you want them available in emergency situations and secondly they do not damage anymore. So, essentially, your wasting a GCD in your macro when you could have been gaining threat.

Precept of Refuge in your AE macro is really a preference. I, personally, have it in mine. I know many cleric tanks who do not. If you are going to have it in a macro in your guide you may elaborate a little more and explain that if it is in your macro at the beginning of pulls the tank should keep this in mind. (i.e. hit the AE spam macro several seconds before coming into range of the mobs.)

I believe the stat priorities go something like Toughness > Hit > Endurance > Block > Wisdom? > The rest....

Although, I could be off as it has been awhile since i've actually looked at them.

Stat priorities for raiding:

Toughness up to what is needed for the appropriate tier of content (any extra is a waste)

Hit up to what is needed for the appropriate tier of content (more than 20 extra is a waste)

Armor/Resistance

Endurance

Then, if you have nothing else to do, you can get more Wisdom/Block/Parry/Int/Dodge.

And finally Spellpower, for better threat.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 06-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Then, if you have nothing else to do, you can get more Strength [...]
    I think you mean Wisdom.

Andddd you edited >.<
    Last edited by Riane; 06-19-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott0301 View Post
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...lator-bis.html

http://www.riftscene.com/database/we...r/cleric_tank/

FIX YOUR STAT PRIORITY

You are doing a disservice by not posting proper information to all the new scrubs coming up.

completely delete the taunt macro it is bad bad on so many lvls. and as others have said, never put any taunt in any macro
    Both of those lists are wrong. (And this guide is wrong too).

Grinnz has the correct priority in his post.

EDIT: Twinkle, if you'd like, feel free to copy pretty much anything out of my Riftstalker guide, as pretty much all of the theorycraft stuff applies to clerics as well, once you account for corresponding stats (IE deflect->block, and dexterity->wisdom).
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast