Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shaman

Ascendant

Default Shaman

Spec: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmyqrlgutIdRIRGkfzvVVvV

Opener: (Rotn) FW>LH>DF>MB>Jolt>CE (RoS)>EoL>MB

(optional) Rage of the North casted 45s before combat begins. Open normally except do not use Deep Freeze. For your second Rotn you will then use DF for massive blow/jolt

General Priorities
    1. Frozen Wrath
    2. +30% massive blow
    3. +30% Combined Effort
    4. Glacial Strike (sub-30% skill)
    5. Lightning Hammer (make sure it has fallen off completely)
    6. Jolt proc (do not macro this anywhere; make sure you get the bonus damage)
    7. +30% crushing blow
    8. Eruption of Life (make sure it has fallen off completely)
    9. Icy Blow

Wild card: Vex. Use it before Frozen Wrath in each 15s block.

You always want to ensure you are maximizing your MB and CE casts. Do not delay them by using unnecessary CB's.

Misc

For aoe situations make sure Frozen Wrath is on a target, you have Vengeance of the Primal North toggled (it's off-gcd), spread your frozen wrath with Strike of the Maelstrom, and then alternate Avalanche Strike/Strike of the Maelstrom (frostbite bonus). When you're back to ST, toggle Vengeance of the Winter Storm back on.

I'm not going to post macros here because everyone has their own playstyle with those. The priorities are listed; you can make your own macros to suit your needs.
    Last edited by Ahov; 05-20-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Soulwalker

The link to the spec in your guide isn't working.

Plane Walker

Not sure why you would open up with two non-physical attacks... My opener is: RotN -> FW -> MB -> LH + RoS -> DF -> MB -> Jolt -> CE -> EoL -> CB

I've also recently started using Vex before Frozen Wrath every time. I believe this is the most efficient way and would argue that Vex is too good to be used only in specific situations. Pros are that whenever there is a 0.1 second cd left on Frozen Wrath Vex will fit in perfectly (as pointed out by you). Cons are the delayed Frozen Wrath when this situation does not occur. I think it's more important to use Vex though, and if there is a place in your rotation you want to use Vex it's right before Frozen Wrath. I do not agree that using Vex in the middle of your rotation to get a quicker MB/CE as per your second example is beneficial at all.

I could be wrong, but this is just what i think is coming out on top for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaitiing View Post
    Not sure why you would open up with two non-physical attacks... My opener is: RotN -> FW -> MB -> LH + RoS -> DF -> MB -> Jolt -> CE -> EoL -> CB
    Thats the opening rotation I use as well.

The reason (if i'm not mistaken) that Ahov uses Rotn > FW > LH > DF+MB is because when you use a dot with RotN up and it crits, all the ticks crit. so by using LH before MB you'll have a 90%+ crit rate on that LH and then because MB has such a large bonus to its crit rate, it will most likely still crit even though RotN will only have 8 stacks up.

It's perfectly viable but i'm not sure how much benefit you'd really get from it in a fight.

Ascendant

I do not agree that using Vex in the middle of your rotation to get a quicker MB/CE as per your second example is beneficial at all.
    How is that not a dps gain?

Assuming CE will be available in two GCDS, doing Vex>IB>CE is better than IB>IB>CE (also assuming you are coming off of a buffed physical attack so you can't do CB>IB>CE)

Vex does more damage than half of your priorities; the issue is finding areas to fit it in with minimal impact on your rotation.

Something important to note about Vex as well: even if you don't use it at all, you're not going to lose much dps compared to someone who uses it in perfect situations. We're talking less than 100 dps difference.
    Last edited by Ahov; 03-20-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Robdacleric View Post
    The link to the spec in your guide isn't working.
    http://i.imgur.com/1qTUAQJ.png

Also going to note here that I don't care much to argue about what's optimal in Shaman. I had the highest PTS parse with this just like Inquisitor, so I'm sharing how I play it. Don't have the patience to address every complaint.
    Last edited by Ahov; 03-20-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    How is that not a dps gain?

Assuming CE will be available in two GCDS, doing Vex>IB>CE is better than IB>IB>CE (also assuming you are coming off of a buffed physical attack so you can't do CB>IB>CE)

Vex does more damage than half of your priorities; the issue is finding areas to fit it in with minimal impact on your rotation.

Something important to note about Vex as well: even if you don't use it at all, you're not going to lose much dps compared to someone who uses it in perfect situations. We're talking less than 100 dps difference.
    It might be a dps gain, but it also means you can't use Vex before Frozen Wrath, which i consider a greater dps win in many situations. Vex might not be the biggest dps gain, but you are also telling people to use EoL which is a far, far less dps gain (if even one at all).

If you don't want criticism maybe you shouldn't post on the official forums, calling it a "guide"

Ascendant

It might be a dps gain, but it also means you can't use Vex before Frozen Wrath, which i consider a greater dps win in many situations. Vex might not be the biggest dps gain, but you are also telling people to use EoL which is a far, far less dps gain (if even one at all).

If you don't want criticism maybe you shouldn't post on the official forums, calling it a "guide"
    1. It's very simple to test EoL vs Icy Blow since they both reduce the cooldown on massive blow
    2. I don't mind criticism from players who parsed 15.5+ on PTS. It just feels stale otherwise.
    Last edited by Ahov; 03-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Plane Walker

Do you have an example of a breakdown, perhaps from Goloch or something thats ST?

It would be more helpful than the guide anyway since it lacks information, so a breakdown from a ST raid fight would be good.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by mr3onion View Post
    Do you have an example of a breakdown, perhaps from Goloch or something thats ST?

It would be more helpful than the guide anyway since it lacks information, so a breakdown from a ST raid fight would be good.
    Actually my guide offers the most relevant information regarding priorities. The other shaman guides give a physical and nonphysical macro + a few other keybinds, but they don't specify in which order you should prioritize them. At best, they state to weave back and forth nonphysical>physical, which is incorrect.

As for breakdown, maybe I'll post one later.
    Last edited by Ahov; 03-20-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Plane Walker

Actually my guide offers the most relevant information regarding priorities. The other shaman guides give a physical and nonphysical macro + a few other keybinds, but they don't specify in which order you should prioritize them. At best, they state to weave back and forth nonphysical>physical, which is incorrect.

Maybe it's just me then, but the priorities are so obvious you don't need a guide for those. I thought there would be some insight on things like for example on Kain if its ST dps win to refresh FW with 2 SotM instead of 1 CB + 1 FW (one for applying on ghosts and one for applying back to Kain). Things like that.

But I guess this was maybe meant for beginners, which is perfectly fine but a breakdown from Goloch would be most helpful I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    The reason (if i'm not mistaken) that Ahov uses Rotn > FW > LH > DF+MB is because when you use a dot with RotN up and it crits, all the ticks crit.
    This hasn't been true for a very, very, very long time. Each tick of a DoT or HoT has it's own independent crit chance.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    This hasn't been true for a very, very, very long time. Each tick of a DoT or HoT has it's own independent crit chance.
    Not sure what you're referring to, but http://i.imgur.com/nI0NSUd.png

The dots inherit crit chance at the time of the cast.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    Ehrm DoT's have always "taken a screenshot" of the stats when they are applied and kept them for the duration of the dot, and still do.

God forbid you sully the thread with facts and figures! Post an ACT breakdown.

Also going to note here that I don't care much to argue about what's optimal in Shaman. I had the highest PTS parse with this just like Inquisitor...
    Did I blink and miss something?

Shaman is one of the most challenging/engaging specs I've played in Rift. Since people like to use their own personal shaman macros, I'm going to focus more on the absolute priorities plus some nuances which will maximize your dps.
    When I first looked at this I was looking for the Next Page button - however I can understand your reluctance to provide much more. At least you've accurately covered how to use Vex, that is probably service enough

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast