+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Real 61 (or Heavy) Defiler Guide

Plane Touched

Default The Real 61 (or Heavy) Defiler Guide

The Real 61 (or Heavy) Defiler Guide

Before going into this guide somethings to understand.
    Heavy Defiler, is being used to define a build that has more than 40 points in the Defiler soul. There are a myriad of builds with 40 or less points into the Defiler, that serve various purposes. Many of those may meet or exceed the benefits of a Heavy Defiler build.

Point of comparison All skills, or sequence of skills, will be treated as though a fresh cast. No progressive benefits will be considered for standing flat footed spamming skills. This is so each skill can be evaluated on it's own merits.

Let's start by examining the major skills acquired beyond the 40 point threshold.

41pt. Pain Transmission; A great AOE damage skill. The drawbacks of which are a 2 second cast, and it's reliance on having Cleric and those linked near the target(s). For those familiar with Inquisitor's Soul Drain, imagine it firing from yourself and all links.

44pt. Feast of the Fallen. A buff that awards a minor heal for up to 5 party members for a kill. Most useful in PvP or 5 mans. Not very raid effective.

48pt. Chimera's Gift. A self buff that works similar to Latent Blaze. Should you receive a killing blows during it's 5 minute duration, you will instead receive a heal. With a 2 minute CD and an instant cast, it is an easy self buff, life line to keep up.

51pt. Unholy Nexus. This is kind of a multipurpose skill. It spreads all Bonds, Siphon Vitality, and Marrow Harvest, up to 5 mobs.
    So with 2 skills being damage, 1 being self heal, 1 being both,(left out Bond of Corruption, the pvp Bond, due to the fact that there are much better ways to spread a buff that overwrites or is over written so easily) So the skill increases damage and provides self heals. If you are receiving hard to manage damage, or free to do some damage, I would consider this an option. It may not be the best choice due to the number of GCD's you have to use to maximize it. Fights will dictate it's viability.

54pt. Ghastly Restoration. Loathsome Restorations big brother. A very nice single target heal that also triggers Foul Growth. Instant cast, but 15 second CD.

58pt. Link of Agony. A 30% interception of damage, of which the Cleric takes 19% of the intercepted damage. This is a great point to explain Links.

Understanding Links

Links are buff put on players in your group that intercept incoming damage. To understand that, like an interception in football, it grabs a portion of the damage before it hit's the target of your link. Then a portion of that intercepted damage is transferred to the Cleric. The Cleric's skill Husk of Indifference will absorb 100% of that damage up to the amount of the Husk currently on the Cleric. If the damage is greater than the Husk's value the difference will hit the Cleric.

So here is an example; Assume a 30k attack, and you have a player in line of that attack with Link of Suffering (20%) 20% of that 30k or 6,000 is intercepted. The remaining 24k hits the player. That 24 k damage is handled as if the total attack were 24k and not 30k. Some may be blocked, absorbed by shields, or otherwise mitigated. The Cleric takes 30% of the intercepted damage, or in this case 1,800 of the 6,000. All or part of that maybe absorbed by Husk of Indifference, the rest will be subjected to any shields or damage mitigation the Cleric has. the lower the percentage the link intercepts, the greater the percentage of that damage hits the Cleric.

Link of Agony - 30% damage intercepted - 19% of intercepted damage hits Cleric
    Link of Suffering - 20% damage intercepted - 30% of intercepted damage hits Cleric
    Link of Missery - 10% damage intercepted - 59% of intercepted damage hits Cleric
    Link of Distress - 5% damage intercepted - 85% of intercepted damage hits Cleric
    Beacon of Distress has an automatic 50% link, and the Cleric takes 115% of that damage.

(so while the beacon will help with Pain Transmission damage it can bring a ton of damage to the Cleric so beware)

61pt. Unstable Transformation
    . The best CD in the game. It reduces damage taken by 50%, increases shields and heals received by 50%, and heal the target each time it is hit. This last for 10 seconds, with a 1 minute CD, and is instant cast.

So as you can see, by going deeper into the Defiler soul, your gains lie mostly in healer type skills. While certainly, depending on how it's played, the Defiler can do good to excellent damage, the only real reason to go Heavy Defiler is with an eye toward keeping players alive. How much you focus your play in that direction is largely dictated by the group's needs. Keep in mind these last 7 skills are the determining factor for going Heavy Defiler as opposed to a hybrid.

So you have decided that Heavy is for you, and your groups. Now comes decision 2. Are you in need of concentrating on heals? In other words, are raid members dying too often, and easily? Or do you feel confident that the Links and skills you have at 61 will bridge the gap?

Heavy Damage

If you chose to lean away from greater healing, I suggest 5 points in Inquisitor's Planar Study. Increasing your spell power by 10%. Also getting you the buff Armor of Devotion (5% crit increase) and Vex. 5 Points in Cabalist's Stroke of Genius and 5 points in Entropy. Gaining you 10% wisdom increase and 10% increase to delayed or DoT damage. You also gain the skills Curse of Discord, Tyranny of Death, Bound Fate, and Dark Water. This build will be largely reliant on DoT's to do decent damage.
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Egg/UkllliEGkG8/n8

Heavy Heals

The Defiler brings the best CD in the game, in addition to the best single target heals. Explosive Growth/Loathsome or Ghastly amount to a 15k-25k ST heal with the equivalent of a 1.5 sec cast. It's spammable and Empowered Affliction makes it manageable. If you are thinking of Leaning toward helping more with heals; 3 Points in Purifier Spirit Guidance will gain you a 6% increase in wisdom and Sign of Wrath which procs damage, and Symbol of the Torch a shield. ***WARNING*** Be certain you are not overwriting shield and signs of another Purifier in the party. 12 points into Sentinel, 5 in Watchful Gaze (10% spell power) 1 in Benediction (1% to heals and absorption) 3 points in Expeditious (6% increase to instant cast heals) 1 point Healers Blessing (an added heal to all single target heals) 2 Points in Call to Action (6% increase in heals to targets below 75%)
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#md/UkllliEGkG8/pp2y

But wait!!! There's more!! Remember, Defiler is part healer, part dps. you can mix your off souls as well. A little more toward damage? Maybe use Warden to heal a bit with aoe heals? There is no right or wrong answer. Your groups needs, your play style, etc. will steer you toward your right answer.

But to be clear, it is my opinion, that a Heavy Defiler is only if you need an eye toward heals. If versatility and links are your goal, as I stated earlier, there are many Hybrid guides.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post4184813

Defiler is a MUST!!! How Heavy? Determine how much help your tanks need.
    Understand the dynamics of a group. Does going Heavy allow fewer or better placement of your dedicated healers? If your guild isn't having these discussions, I suggest you start them.

In closing let me say, I didn't include macros or rotations on purpose. If you understand your role in the raid, those will be easy. If you don't, no rotation or macro will make a Heavy Defiler work for you and your groups.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions. I would prefer we left this guide to general discussion.

Hey folks,

Just dropping in a reminder to ensure your posts are on topic, civil and constructive. If at any time you feel a post violates the Code of Conduct, please report it, but do not reply to it in any way.

Thanks!

Telaran

Not so sound like a jerk, but what's the reason to call this the Real 61 Defiler Guide? Like there aren't enough Defiler guides already...and proclaiming all the other ones are not as good or invalidated by this guide? I mean I'm not gonna say my guide is the best or anything, but this thread title is just insulting to others...in my opinion.

Wuv

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Jedite View Post
    Not so sound like a jerk, but what's the reason to call this the Real 61 Defiler Guide? Like there aren't enough Defiler guides already...and proclaiming all the other ones are not as good or invalidated by this guide? I mean I'm not gonna say my guide is the best or anything, but this thread title is just insulting to others...in my opinion.

Wuv
    I think what was meant was that it is not about Defiler hybrids. I could be wrong.

Rift Master

Where's this guide at? All I'm finding is tooltip information.

Personally, I suggest using 8 cab 7 Inq vs 10 cab 5 inq.

Some decent information I guess for newer defilers, but I wouldn't really call this a guide.

I too always dislike titles like this, that seem to imply this is correct and others are incorrect. Also I've never heard anyone call it "heavy" usually just called 61defiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    Where's this guide at? All I'm finding is tooltip information.

Personally, I suggest using 8 cab 7 Inq vs 10 cab 5 inq.

Some decent information I guess for newer defilers, but I wouldn't really call this a guide.

I too always dislike titles like this, that seem to imply this is correct and others are incorrect. Also I've never heard anyone call it "heavy" usually just called 61defiler.
    Kind of in agreeance with all this. All that is tooltip information.

But for an actual guide on how to play a 61 defiler I think people will have to go elsewhere unfortunately.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

The guide looks like it has been written from a soul calculator and considering that three days ago the OP stated they were new to Defiler, it's no great surprise.

Missing information regarding the numerous off GCD abilities and how to use them effectively between your GCD's.

No information on casting Bonds to proc your crystal or Marrow Harvets to debuff targets.

No information on choosing link targets, how many link targets you should use and under what circumstances you should use your Beacon.

No Information on which abilities to prioritise, and no information on how to actually play the soul in various settings.

The DPS build provided is sub-optimal with points spent in +%Wis instead of the superior +%Dmg.

It seems clear that it hasn't been parsed at all since it's claimed the majority of damage will come from DoT's when in fact it will come from Pain Transmission and Somatic Desecration.

Push Back protection has been omitted creating greater reliance on proccing Husks and causing pushback on your main attack during damage phases.

This is just another Defiler rehash and a poor one at that. The guide is best summed up in the OP's own words - "Sorry OP, but you seem to be comparing builds on paper, as opposed to real outputs and usefulness. Sorry to say, a swing and a miss."

Plane Touched

Thanks all for the feedback.

The guide is meant to be a layout of reasons why or why you would not go Heavy into Defiler. Hence the term "real" in as much as most Defiler guides spell out a particular build using "heavy defiler" mine is meant to look at the Defiler soul it's self and guide someone thru the decision process. Hopefully it will give better basic information so when a potential Defiler is making that leap, he has both eyes open. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

It is a departure from the standard soul points, macros, rotation type guides. But it is loaded with good information to help people decide on the type of Defiler build they need/want. I hope some will find it useful.

I always ignore trolls

+ Reply to Thread