+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Defiler Guide

Default Defiler Guide

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The guide is rather long-winded, but the idea is that you can read it and understand how and why a defiler works and play it correctly.
    Celdra, The Town Crier. Former Guide Writer. Currently Raiding as a Rogue with <K> on Vigil Prime.<K> is recruiting!

Rift Disciple

Just as superfluous as my stillbirth of a guide.

You gain about nothing from armor of treachery and dark harbor. To be a little constructive

Edit: Being rather tongue in cheek
    Last edited by Grocket; 02-24-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Incorrect, Teachery/Dark Harbor is needed to live for some fights with heavy AoE.

Think Crucia/Matriarch.
    Celdra, The Town Crier. Former Guide Writer. Currently Raiding as a Rogue with <K> on Vigil Prime.<K> is recruiting!

Siphon Vitality and Vex (if you have it) are higher priority than Marrow Harvest because they do more damage. I also stopped macroing Marrow Harvest with Somatic Desecration because it would delay the casts ("macro lag" with casted abilities still seems to be present) so it's a loss in DPS. Also, choosing your subsouls based on two buffs of questionable necessity is ... questionable.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-24-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Rift Disciple

There are better options in superior builds if one were to actually need added health/mitigation.
    Last edited by Grocket; 02-24-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Do go on and enlighten me. I am very much interested in how to achieve these superior builds. The only viable choice I see is to drop Cab and pick up justicar and place fluff points in justicar, losing the cab dots.

Which Mind you, I could see doing, but doing so would be a larger DPS loss than simply picking up dark harbor/armor of treachery.
    Last edited by Celdra; 02-24-2013 at 04:39 PM.

I have a defiler guide coming out shortly that's based around 10 sent 5 inq for the sp boost. bigger sp = bigger husk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Choosing your subsouls based on two buffs of questionable necessity is ... questionable.
    The subsouls were chosen because of the Extra Dots that they provided, they happened to also have the non-mandatory buffs..

Quote Originally Posted by Celdra View Post
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The guide is rather long-winded, but the idea is that you can read it and understand how and why a defiler works and play it correctly.
    Doesn't seem a lot different to the three or four other guides posted here, but a good effort nonetheless.

You shouldn't be prioritising Marrow harvest over your DoT's except when AOE'ing and only when Unholy Nexus is about to come off CD. Not sure if you've clearly identified that MH can be spread.

I may have missed it but you should make some reference to the extra damage PT deals when it radiates from your linked targets. This is rather important information to the playstyle, linking targets who can remain within 7m of any mobs - obviously you want to remain within 7m as well otherwise PT is useless; not sure if that was included either.

I see no reference to the reason melee pets are a preferred link target, since they take less AOE damage they'll pass less on to you. You'll want your small links on melee pets for the extra DPS.

I see no mention of our off GCD heals or the very hard to ignore off GCD cooldown. Defiler has an off GCD capability, it should be highlighted.

Has the Rampant Growth mechanic been properly covered? Admittedly I have speed read this and may have missed it. Also the HoT is your go to on GCD heal, since it gets a massive boost from raid 4 pc. Equally ensuring at least one Bond is cast ervy 30 seconds will keep your crystal procced.

Personally I prefer a 10 Inq 5 Sent build for all the +%SP

Quote Originally Posted by Eosmeep View Post
    I have a defiler guide coming out shortly that's based around 10 sent 5 inq for the sp boost. bigger sp = bigger husk.
    You'll want 7 Inq for the pushback reduction if you're stuck casting SD a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    You'll want 7 Inq for the pushback reduction if you're stuck casting SD a lot of the time.
    Hadn't thought about this, I'll look into it. Thanks

Although dps is generally secondary to healing with how i approach the raiding defiler spec, especially after the nerf to some of the biggest hitting heals
    Last edited by Eosmeep; 02-24-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: I am bad with words sometimes

Rift Disciple

Meep described one way via sp/absorb bonuses.

I prefer This
    Though I have not fully tested 61/11ward/4inq nor 61/11/4druid yet, I'm pretty certain the posted build is top defiler dps if that was ones intent.

Any more heal-centric defiler build should be based off the sp bonuses of inq/sent.

61/12justicar/3inq or 3sent is also a noteworthy healer type build.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocket View Post
    I'm pretty certain the posted build is top defiler dps if that was ones intent.
    Perhaps on dummies, but on encounters where pushback is a factor, you'll want the pushback protection unless you can come up with a build that's all instants.

I haven't bothered theorycrafting the top DPS variant, since it's a utility role. However, +10%SP will typically outweigh +5%dmg, and the pushback reduction is mandatory in my eyes. Dark Water and Sanction Heretic are synonomous, however the Cab variant will give you another DoT and some damage modifiers. So perhaps it's moot, either way max DPS should not be the single deciding factor.

You shouldn't be prioritizing Marrow harvest over your DoT's except when AOE'ing and only when Unholy Nexus is about to come off CD. Not sure if you've clearly identified that MH can be spread.
    This has been pointed out to me, and I will update the guide to reflect this,

I may have missed it but you should make some reference to the extra damage PT deals when it radiates from your linked targets. This is rather important information to the playstyle, linking targets who can remain within 7m of any mobs - obviously you want to remain within 7m as well otherwise PT is useless; not sure if that was included either.
    There is an entire paragraph on it.

I see no reference to the reason melee pets are a preferred link target, since they take less AOE damage they'll pass less on to you. You'll want your small links on melee pets for the extra DPS.
    Small links on raid members for the 9% health increase.

I see no mention of our off GCD heals or the very hard to ignore off GCD cooldown. Defiler has an off GCD capability, it should be highlighted.
    I do not specifically point out that the 61P talent is off GCD but I do mention one of our Foul Growth Triggers is off GCD

Has the Rampant Growth mechanic been properly covered? Admittedly I have speed read this and may have missed it. Also the HoT is your go to on GCD heal, since it gets a massive boost from raid 4 pc. Equally ensuring at least one Bond is cast ervy 30 seconds will keep your crystal procced.
    Yes to the Rampant Growth Mechanic.
    No to the 4p expert/2p Raid Crystal Mechanic Will need to update guide to reflect this

Also fair point to consider about the psuhback reduction. Its abig deal for getting your PTs off.

Quote Originally Posted by Celdra View Post
    Small links on raid members for the 9% health increase.
    6% and this won't be required unless you have an undergeared raider. My point was more that it didn't seem obvious to me at a glance that you summarised where to stand and why links are good for your DPS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast