+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sentinel Guide

Ascendant

Default Sentinel Guide

The specs

Raid: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...Rq.x0Voz.c.-11 - 61 Sentinel/12 Warden/3 Inquisitor

5-man: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...dusRq.Vx0x.-11 - 61 Sentinel/15 Purifier/0 Warden

Buffs

Universal: Healer's Blessing, Faith Rewarded, Marked by the Light, Wrathful Exuberance (on tank), Light of Redemption (on tank)

Raid only: Armor of Devotion

5-man only: Sign of Wrath, Wisdom of the Ages, Heroic Resolve

Macros

Raid spot heal

#show healing breath
    suppressmacrofailure
    cast @mouseoverui healing breath

5-man spot heal

#show healing breath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui healing breath
    cast @mouseoverui healing flare

Raid TTL

#show Touch the Light
    suppressmacrofaulures
    cast tidal surge
    cast touch the light
    cast crucial invocation

5-man TTL

#show Touch the Light
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast touch the light
    cast crucial invocation

Cleanse

#show Cleansing Prayer
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui Cleansing Prayer

Raid aoe-heal

#show Healing Cataract
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Healing Cataract
    cast Healing Flood

Cooldown

#show Nyol's Hope
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Nyol's Hope
    cast Healer's Haste
    cast Healing Invocation

5-man shield

#show symbol of the torch
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui symbol of the torch

Run-speed

#show Urgency
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Urgency

5-man AoE

#show Divine Call
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast divine call
    cast healing communion

Other skills to have on your bar

Universal: Healing Invocation, Crucial Invocation, Empowering Light, Fullness of Life, Healing Spray, Liberty of Thought, Renewed Altruism, Healer's Covenant, Vigilance, Reverent Supplication

Raid: Divine Call (or you may use the above 5-man AoE macro; Communion won't be used in a raid though)

Sentinel Concepts

The raid spec is built with maximum utility in mind. The points in Warden offer you a 10-target aoe heal in Healing Cataract to take full advantage of Faith Rewarded. Many people underestimate a Sentinel's power as a raid healer. There are certain mechanics which almost always drop the raid below 50%, and Faith Rewarded is some incredible burst HPS for when you need it the most. The Cataract/Flood macro is designed for Faith Rewarded procs and preemptive healing. If you are moving but need an instant aoe heal, tapping the macro while people are below 50% will proc Faith Rewarded, just like Cataract does.

The 5-man spec is built around maximum heal values, a bit of added dps via Sign of Wrath and slightly more mobility with spot-healing/shielding. While dodging mechanics you can spam Healing Breath/Healing Flare on tank, or preemptively shield your group with Symbol of the Torch. It's exceptionally useful to apply shields before damage, as long as the tank is staying alive.

Always maintain Light of Redemption on your active tank. Sometimes you will simply be assisting the chloros, so try to predict which tank will need the most help.

Rotation-wise, spam Healing Invocation on your tank. Every now and then you will get an off-gcd Healing Breath available. Use this wisely, but don't be too conservative. If the tanks are currently taking minimal damage, it can be useful to reserve this proc for a raid member who accidentally stands in fire. In a 5-man environment Healing Breath serves as an extraordinary group heal, generally preferable to healing communion.

Crucial Invocation is noticeably more powerful than Healing Invocation, but costs much more mana. You should generally avoid using this skill as a standalone ability, and instead prefer using your real cooldowns firsts (listed below).

While raid encounters are not designed around most of a Sentinel's cooldowns, they can serve as a buffer between player mistakes and wipes during progression. In 5-mans, you will find yourself rotating through all of these as undergeared and inexperienced tanks may require them.

1. Healer's Covenant: This is a preemptive mitigation cooldown, best used when the tank is already topped off but you are predicting heavy movement or a large spike in tank damage.

2. Nyol's Hope/Healer's Haste: This can be used either preemptively or reactively. It provides a large burst in healing and generally shouldn't be reserved for a specific mechanic. Use at your own discretion. One thing to note is Healer's Haste does not affect Crucial Invocation very much (since your GCD is 1.5s already). If you want to use an extra button you can make a Nyols/CI macro and Healer's Haste/HI macro. As well, Healer's Haste can be further utilized in a raid environment with Healing Cataract. Cannot be fully utilized while moving.

3. Fullness of Life: Very high base heal, improved by wearing more endurance gear (which is great for progression). This is about as reactive of a heal as it gets. If the tank dips, pop this to bring them back up.

4. Touch the Light (in both forms): Reactive heal, generally interchangeable with Fullness of Life.

5. Vigilance: often the cooldown of last resort. If you cannot top the tank off for whatever reason and you fear for their life, use this to squeeze out precious seconds and potentially save the attempt. This can be useful if the tank has eaten too many stacks of a debuff (primary context is raid here) and their health is gimped or they are receiving too much damage and your Covenant has already been used.

With all of these healing/mitigation cooldowns, you also have Renewed Altruism. This resets all of the above cooldowns. Unless I know I am reserving skills for a particular mechanic, once I've blown a couple of cooldowns I continue using them up, and then I refresh them with Renewed Altruism. In a 5-man this can be rather helpful, chain-cooldown rotation on a tank, then resetting all of them and either beginning again or having them all available in case extra trash packs are pulled

Crucial Invocation is noticeably more powerful than Healing Invocation, but costs much more mana. You should generally avoid using this skill as a standalone ability, and instead prefer using your real cooldowns firsts. While Vigilance is the cooldown of last resort, if literally all other "cooldowns" are unavailable, you may have some excess mana to spare and in that case Crucial Invocation may be necessary to keep a tank alive.

Sentinel can be a very mana-intensive role, particularly when you're burning through cooldowns or Crucial Invocation. Make sure you stock up on Stellar Mana Tonics, and make intelligent use of Reverent Supplication.

Final Notes

On most current encounters I would argue Sentinel is not optimal to bring. For whatever reason, be it you lack competent chloromancers or feel you have enough dps to overheal an encounter, you can bring a Sentinel to fill in gaps. There are a few fights where Sentinel shines: Regulos and Crucia. On Regulos, 100% of the significant aoe damage will drop the raid below 50%, which means every Cataract you get off is taking advantage of Faith Rewarded on all targets. As well, the tank damage is significant and Sentinel is great for assisting chloromancers in that regard. On Crucia Sentinel can provide key cooldowns for Lightning Breath and assist with AoE healing during Orbital Strike.
    Last edited by Ahov; 05-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Ahov, for over a month now I've been unable to load any of your guides posted on your guild's website. I constantly get "problem loading the page - addictguild.com server takes too long to respond" and I haven't got a clue how to get this fixed which is really a shame because I'd like to access your guides somehow. Is there any way you can check what the issue might be, or perhaps post it as a whole on here?
    Duh.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful86 View Post
    Ahov, for over a month now I've been unable to load any of your guides posted on your guild's website. I constantly get "problem loading the page - addictguild.com server takes too long to respond" and I haven't got a clue how to get this fixed which is really a shame because I'd like to access your guides somehow. Is there any way you can check what the issue might be, or perhaps post it as a whole on here?
    I'll look into a solution for you. I've been hosting my guides on the Addiction website to attract more positive traffic (possibly encouraging some people to apply in the process!), so I no longer paste text versions here.

edit: Here's a compromise for you http://pastebin.com/vLuz4cHj
    Last edited by Ahov; 02-19-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Cheers! I've saved it for now and totally understand your reasons for wanting to use your guild's site. I have no problem going to a third party host or whichever, as long as I can actually access it. ;) Guide looks good at first glance, thank you!
    Duh.

It's abundantly clear you do not play this spec in a raid and these macros are largely untested. I hope you will be revising some of the more bizarre CD combinations, or at least qualify their extraordinarily stiuational usage.

Touch the Light with Crucial Invocation?

What the hell are you smoking?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    It's abundantly clear you do not play this spec in a raid and these macros are largely untested. I hope you will be revising some of the more bizarre CD combinations, or at least qualify their extraordinarily stiuational usage.

Touch the Light reduces the mana cost by 50% as well, which really benefits Crucial Invocation. It's also not a skill you randomly use. It's a "cooldown." There's minimal reason to have Healing Invocation and not Crucial.

I'm surprised by your reactions, and yes, I've played Sentinel in different contexts. The first would be progression FT after only one week of SL being out. The results should speak on their own. The second context is Regulos progression where Sentinel is extraordinarily helpful in tank-healing, Faith Rewarded procs after Crash of Souls/Vanquish, and in both contexts the results were fantastic.

Perhaps you could expand further on your remarks? What else do you perceive as incorrect with the guide?
    Last edited by Ahov; 02-19-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Interesting, so what do you use it for, Bowler? (honest question, btw, not trolling).

I have always used TTL with CI. Reduced mana cost and an instant BOOM heal seems like win to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Merridwyn View Post
    Interesting, so what do you use it for, Bowler? (honest question, btw, not trolling).

I have always used TTL with CI. Reduced mana cost and an instant BOOM heal seems like win to me.
    I use it situationally and assign it its own keybind. Crucial shouldn't be saved exclusively as a reactive big heal, you should be weaving it in with your HI spam situationally to help counter small spikes. The free HB helps counter the mana cost and coupled with the already fast cast CI can buy you some GCD's for fast cleanses or dealing with mechanics.

The same goes for Tidal, if you want to create some "Oh Crap" macros fine, but label them that way and bind them off to the side. There are some strange CD combos listed that might suit Ahov's playstyle, but really have no place in a generic guide. Far better to describe their optimal usage and leave it up to the reader to combine them in macros that suit their playstyle.

Healer's Haste and Nyol's together? That's situational. Sentinel is capable of great burst, but health pools just aren't large enough to really warrant irregular combined usage of cooldowns. The soul has a lot of cooldowns that elevate throughput, they should be used liberally and regularly - and typically separately.

Unfortunately I've retired my Sentinel spec due to role slot pressure, I thought I'd saved off the macros as I usually do but it appears they are missing

Ascendant

I use it situationally and assign it its own keybind. Crucial shouldn't be saved exclusively as a reactive big heal, you should be weaving it in with your HI spam situationally to help counter small spikes. The free HB helps counter the mana cost and coupled with the already fast cast CI can buy you some GCD's for fast cleanses or dealing with mechanics.

The same goes for Tidal, if you want to create some "Oh Crap" macros fine, but label them that way and bind them off to the side. There are some strange CD combos listed that might suit Ahov's playstyle, but really have no place in a generic guide. Far better to describe their optimal usage and leave it up to the reader to combine them in macros that suit their playstyle.

Healer's Haste and Nyol's together? That's situational. Sentinel is capable of great burst, but health pools just aren't large enough to really warrant irregular combined usage of cooldowns. The soul has a lot of cooldowns that elevate throughput, they should be used liberally and regularly - and typically separately.

Unfortunately I've retired my Sentinel spec due to role slot pressure, I thought I'd saved off the macros as I usually do but it appears they are missing
    The thing is, you have enough cooldowns (which don't cost 1700 mana) that should be prioritized instead of weaving CI into a regular rotation. This is all stated in the guide and I believe the logic is sound. As well, you didn't exactly state your preferred usage of TTL (at least with what ability). Generally speaking, when I want to use the TTL proc I am looking for a fast burst heal, so that's why CI is macroed beneath. The other use for TTL I sometimes use is when I need a quick Cataract (say, I pre-cast 1x Cataract right as Crash of Souls hits in the Regulos encounter, and then TTL + HC for an immediate 20-target burst heal).

Also as stated in the guide (perhaps you didn't read all of it) you can change some of the cooldown macros to suit your needs. One possibility I listed was Nyol's + CI and Healer's Haste + HI because those complement each other more specifically than Nyols + Healer's Haste + HI.

edit: This is not a definitive priority system like Inquisitor, and I try to stay away from absolutes in healing, since a lot of it relies on context. Thus, the guide is my general opinion on usage. The fundamentals are math-based such as a DPS guide would be (spam Healing Invocation = max sustainable hps), but the obscurities are not set in stone. People will play the spec a bit different based on their experiences and I have no problem with that. Results are all that matters, and I feel the results have been perfect with this setup.
    Last edited by Ahov; 02-19-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    The thing is, you have enough cooldowns (which don't cost 1700 mana) that should be prioritized instead of weaving CI into a regular rotation. This is all stated in the guide and I believe the logic is sound. As well, you didn't exactly state your preferred usage of TTL (at least with what ability). Generally speaking, when I want to use the TTL proc I am looking for a fast burst heal, so that's why CI is macroed beneath. The other use for TTL I sometimes use is when I need a quick Cataract (say, I pre-cast 1x Cataract right as Crash of Souls hits in the Regulos encounter, and then TTL + HC for an immediate 20-target burst heal).
    I prefered combining TTL with Cataract in a 12 point Warden build, otherwise it was left for unexpected movement, and depending on the situation would be used before HI or CI since even with the mana reduction, CI is expensive. Either way I would never hard bind TTL with my CI button.

My point is that CI shouldn't be treated as a cooldown, you use it to catch up or buy time for other utility actions such as Sentinels fast cleanses. If this is to be a generic guide then it needs to deal with scenarios outside of the one or two encounters you currently use Sentinel for. Perhaps you should splinter off a "Sentinel on Reguios" guide since this guide just isn't generic enough in my opinion.

It a fair point, Bowler. Personally I tend to save my OGCD HB for spike damage, and keep Healing spray rolling the tank for when it's not available.

I weave Nyol's into my rotation when I know that big hits are coming, and tend to save HH for aoe damage spikes (like the spider boss in Unhallowed Boneforge).

What I do love about Sent is that it is a very situational build and I tend to modify it's use for each encounter, as I'm sure we all do.

It's always nice to see some constructive discussion.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful86 View Post
    Have you tried going to the main site and navigating to the forums from there?

www.addictguild.com

Forums > Rift > Cleric

The guides are in the public section and should be accessible by anyone.

Excellent guide, I don't really see how it isn't "generic enough", you have covered usage of all Sentinel abilities. I would add one thing though, that Vigilance can be used to prevent a oneshot mechanic.

Rift Master

Pretty much exactly how I play sent as well, when I do play it.

Generally I use hope/haste together if I need to Regain some mana, to ensure any spikes that occur during channel time be handled appropriately..and quite frankly, the cds are generally overkill.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue against using CI as a "cooldown". I have no clue why you would use this in a regular rotation unless you are always behind. Do you use this " CD" fairly often? Sure.. but that still doesn't mean you can't treat it like a CD.

This is mostly how I play it, and generally agree with your guide (I have slightly different macros).

It's funny though that when I posted somewhere else about using warden rather than purifier I got told that it was a problem, and here no one says anything about it.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast