+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Short+Sweet Cleric tank guide

Telaran

Default Short+Sweet Cleric tank guide

I was looking for a concise starter guide and had to dig through this forum for some bad info and an outdated guide. So, I thought I would share what I found once I worked it all out.
    For a more in depth guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...s-bequest.html

Your build:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#l...GFlkll5h0/n8t0

Macros:
    (tank is my 6th role, use yours)

(Pull with this)
    6.1 builder
    #show Reckoning
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Reckoning
    cast Strike of Retribution

Finish with Hammer of Duty at 7 Convictions

6.2 AOE
    #show Even justice
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Even Justice

Finish with Hammer of Faith at 7 Convictions
    Also use Doctrine of Loyalty as an AOE taunt

6.3 SOS
    #show Doctrine of Glory
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Total Assurance
    cast Doctrine of Glory
    cast Resplendent Embrace

Can also use Sovereignty in non-boss fights

Buffs:
    Mien of Leadership
    Courage of the Bear
    Vengeance of the Winter Storm
    Armor of Treachery

Righteous Mandate goes on the Healer

It does not happen often but if a fight goes long you might run out of mana:
    Turn on Purpose and spam 6.2 5-8 times
    Turn off Purpose when full

Interdict is your interrupt

Taunts - not to be used for pulling
    Provoke
    Righteous Mandate
    Rebuke

This is by no means the end-all-be-all for tank guides. It is simply a starter for new cleric tanks. Be nice
    Last edited by raiderpb; 02-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Telaran

i am missing censure and i would not advise using your CD's in a macro since you want different CD's for different situations.

Sometimes a summary version of a guide is a nice thing and this is one of those.

Might try my alt tanking some dungeons now. Cheers
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

Champion of Telara

This is a guide that I made for our website. See how it compares to your guide.

Justicar
    Build: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#lgK/rkGGFlkll5h0/n88
    Purpose: Tanking

Taunt Macro:
    #show Provoke
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Provoke
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Reckoning

Spam Macro:
    #show Precept of Refuge
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Strike of Judgment
    cast Reckoning
    cast Vex

Buffs:
    Mien of Leadership
    Courage of the Bear
    Armor of Treachery
    Righteous Mandate (place on other tank during raids)

Tips:
    1. Before a single target boss pull, use Total Assurance > Hammer of Duty.
    2. Before an AoE pull, use Total Assurance > Hammer of Faith.
    3. If you're tanking 5 or fewer mobs, use Even Justice.
    4. If you're tanking more than 5 mobs, use Censure.
    5. If you need to AoE taunt, make sure you're close to the mobs because Righteous Imperative has a very short radius. It doesn't say on the tooltip, but I believe it's between 5-10 meters.
    6. During basic tanking, do not use any abilities that fall outside the Justicar tree. Your threat and Salvation healing will suffer greatly if you do this.

I do not use many macros because it's not really needed with Justicar tanking, at least in my opinion.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ayona View Post
    This is a guide that I made for our website. See how it compares to your guide.

Taunt Macro:
    #show Provoke
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Provoke
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Reckoning

Buffs:
    Mien of Leadership
    Courage of the Bear
    Armor of Treachery
    Righteous Mandate (place on other tank during raids)

Tips:
    1. Before a single target boss pull, use Total Assurance > Hammer of Duty.
    2. Before an AoE pull, use Total Assurance > Hammer of Faith.
    3. If you're tanking 5 or fewer mobs, use Even Justice.
    4. If you're tanking more than 5 mobs, use Censure.
    5. If you need to AoE taunt, make sure you're close to the mobs because Righteous Imperative has a very short radius. It doesn't say on the tooltip, but I believe it's between 5-10 meters.
    6. During basic tanking, do not use any abilities that fall outside the Justicar tree. Your threat and Salvation healing will suffer greatly if you do this.

I do not use many macros because it's not really needed with Justicar tanking, at least in my opinion.
    1)You say you do not use many macros yet you have one of the worst macros of all time to start your post? At some point you will fat finger or mindlessly spam the taunt macro, IMHO taunt should never be in any macro with any other skills. The only time you MAY want it in a macro is with an announcement.

2) At least your pull methods are better than the OP, as well as using only justicar abilities for basic tanking. But in raid situations, at times(Matriarch) it may be wise to put your RM on someone further out for initial aggro like the bard or an aoe chloro.

OP: Don't bother with Sanction Heretic (it does not have a Justicar thread modifier and no longer generates an extra Conviction, plus you have Reckoning now), put Strike of Judgment before Reckoning (debatable, but IMO might as well), and Censure should be used for >5 targets or when picking up targets behind you as well as to maintain a hit debuff on the enemies (greater chance to dodge/parry if nothing else). If you are going to macro Precept of Refuge to Even Justice you need to make very clear in your guide that this will not generate AoE aggro if there is a target in range.

Additionally I would not recommend macroing together your cooldowns as they have very situational utility; for example Total Assurance can be used for Doctrine of Authority followed by Hammer of Duty when it is not needed for Doctrine of Glory. Resplendent Embrace is of course very situational and is best used in combination with Just Defense. Also you didn't mention Just Defense which is a very important cooldown.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-19-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak675 View Post
    i am missing censure and i would not advise using your CD's in a macro since you want different CD's for different situations.
    This is a simple guide. If you have Karuul Alerts add Censure in the AOE rotation every 15 seconds or when you switch targets, but it cannot be macro'ed.

Everything else lends itself perfectly to Macro'ing and makes the process so much easier.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    OP: Don't bother with Sanction Heretic (it does not have a Justicar thread modifier and no longer generates an extra Conviction, plus you have Reckoning now), put Strike of Judgment before Reckoning (debatable, but IMO might as well), and Censure should be used for >5 targets or when picking up targets behind you as well as to maintain a hit debuff on the enemies (greater chance to dodge/parry if nothing else). If you are going to macro Precept of Refuge to Even Justice you need to make very clear in your guide that this will not generate AoE aggro if there is a target in range.

Additionally I would not recommend macroing together your cooldowns as they have very situational utility; for example Total Assurance can be used for Doctrine of Authority followed by Hammer of Duty when it is not needed for Doctrine of Glory. Resplendent Embrace is of course very situational and is best used in combination with Just Defense. Also you didn't mention Just Defense which is a very important cooldown.
    Sorry, I meant to take out SoJ all together since it is redundant with Reckoning and Reckoning does more damage for the same cost and is ranged. - Fixed

The use of Censure is noted. I left it out because I never let mobs beat on my back where I cannot block and it did not lend itself to a simple guide like this.

I did not macro Precept of Refuge to Even Justice... read that again. I will assume you are referring to Strike of Retribution which is a Reaction Only ability that is off the GCD. It does generate threat; just not as much as an AOE. You may want to study threat mechanics. Plus considering how much blocking you are going to be doing in a multi mob fight it makes perfect sense to put in the AOE macro.

Again, I was trying to keep things simple.
    You are right... I completely missed Just Defense. Thank you. - Fixed

Telaran

Stupid Trion locks editing of posts... please ignore previous.

I did not macro SoJ in because it is redundant with Reckoning and Reckoning is better.

The use of Censure is noted. I left it out because I never let mobs beat on my back where I cannot block and it did not lend itself to a simple guide like this.

I did not macro Precept of Refuge to Even Justice... read that again. I will assume you are referring to Strike of Retribution which is a Reaction Only ability that is off the GCD. It does generate threat; just not as much as an AOE. You may want to study threat mechanics. Plus considering how much blocking you are going to be doing in a multi mob fight it makes perfect sense to put in the AOE macro.

Again, I was trying to keep things simple. Thus using Total Assurance in the SOS macro. It is also possible to hit the SOS macro once for Total Assurance at the start of the fight.
    You are right... I completely missed Just Defense. Thank you.

6.3 SOS
    #show Doctrine of Glory
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Total Assurance
    cast Doctrine of Glory
    cast Just Defense
    cast Resplendent Embrace

Telaran

OP: Don't bother with Sanction Heretic (it does not have a Justicar thread modifier and no longer generates an extra Conviction, plus you have Reckoning now)
    Reckoning is not a replacement for Sanction Heretic. SH is a DOT. There are plenty of fights where the boss resets the threat table and DOTs are good for getting the boss back to the tank faster.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderpb View Post
    Sorry you are correct, I skimmed that particular macro, ignore that criticism. I still believe Censure is important enough to include, it is needed especially for low-geared Clerics for tanking more than 5 enemies because it will build much more threat on them (by virtue of doing damage to them), and more threat in general due to generating more Salvation procs. Well worth the one extra button IMO

SoJ has a built in hidden threat modifier beyond your mein, Reckoning is not better unless you care about adding 100 dps to your parse :P
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 02-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    SoJ has a built in hidden threat modifier beyond your mein, Reckoning is not better unless you care about adding 100 dps to your parse :P
    Name a passive or active ability that applies to SoJ that does not apply to Reckoning. Other than Purpose.

There is nothing you get with SoJ that you do not get with Reckoning. Plus Reckoning does more dmg which translates to more threat and can be used at ranged as a pull. Hence Reckoning is better over all than SoJ.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderpb View Post
    Name a passive or active ability that applies to SoJ that does not apply to Reckoning. Other than Purpose.

There is nothing you get with SoJ that you do not get with Reckoning. Plus Reckoning does more dmg which translates to more threat and can be used at ranged as a pull. Hence Reckoning is better over all than SoJ.
    He just stated the difference, SoJ has a higher threat modifier. Like the issue with Sanction Heretic, the difference in threat modifiers is not well-represented in Justicar ability tooltips. Though I would like to test this myself at some point. Putting SoJ in your macro does not negate your ability to use Reckoning at range, in the same macro.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-19-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Telaran

He just stated the difference, SoJ has a higher threat modifier. Like the issue with Sanction Heretic, the difference in threat modifiers is not well-represented in Justicar ability tooltips. Though I would like to test this myself at some point. Putting SoJ in your macro does not negate your ability to use Reckoning at range, in the same macro.
    He said through the Mien which also applies to Reckoning. Until he can show some data that SoJ does more threat than another Justicar ability that does more damage then I cannot agree with his statement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast