Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [2.2] Lazy Shaman's guide to "max" dps (karuul alert)

Default [2.2] Lazy Shaman's guide to "max" dps (karuul alert)

INTRO

Because Inquisitor is too mainstream

And by guide to "max" dps I mean guide to "maximum reward/work ratio"... you know, for us lazy/normal people. Think of this as more of a tool or a "crutch" to help you get back on track if you lose your focus in a fight... or if its 4am and you're raiding drunk you can follow it blindly and still do half-decent! If you already pull awesome dps with shaman you can use this to give your brain a rest while you deal with mechanics with less stress. If you are clueless about shaman then this will hold your hand and walk you through what to do.

To strip it down to its barest form, this guide is a Karuul alert set that will tell you what button you should probably push next.

First, the spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...RIRGkfz.VV.-11
    61 Shaman - Duh
    5 Inq - Spellpower and a crit buff, whats not to like?
    10 Druid -10% to instants, 10% wisdom (or 5% damage if your crit power or gear is low)

Second, and most importantly, you'll need Karuul alert: http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/karuulalert

SETUP

Skills you should probably have on your bar:
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Buffs
    Have these somewhere
    • Furious Assault - 1s GCD
    • Courage of the Panther - 5% damage, 5% penetration (tee hee)
    • Heart of the Frozen Sea - 65 resists
    • Glory of the Chosen - a ****ty version of salvation
    • Armor of Devotion - 5% crit chance
    • Vengeance - see situational below
    Quote Originally Posted by Situational Skills
    Keep within reach at all times
    • Vengeance:
      • Vengeance of the Winter Storm - Must be active for ST damage.
      • - OR -
      • Vengeance of the Primal North - Must be active for AoE damage.
    • Ageless Ice - use this as needed to recover mana (note: it slows you)
    • Ride the Lightning - I use it just for fun, it's pretty useless because it's usually faster to just run to the boss if you get a disconnect.
    • Windwalk - Use during movement phases, disconnects, and to escape angry mobs (very usefull!)
    • Shield of Oak - I use it with windwalk to get places even faster or when I know i'm about to take some damage in a raid.
    • No Pet - Don't ever pull a low level druid pet out, we will all laugh at you when you pull the boss from a mile away.
    ROTATION

Choose your Difficulty:

"Peice of Cake" - Come on! You're better than this.
    (4 button shaman, basics)
    Spoiler!

"Let's Rock" - You should probably just play Inquisitor...
    (5 button shaman, basics + cooldowns)
    Spoiler!

"Come Get Some" - Don't worry, button mashing is a legit strategy!
    (6 button shaman, basics, cooldowns, vex)
    Spoiler!

"Damn I'm Good" - I don't know how to put this, but you're kind of a big deal.
    (7 button shaman, basics, cooldowns, vex, and EoL)
    Spoiler!

INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1) Install Karuul alert and type /kalert
    Step 2) Then go to File > Import Set and copy/paste the karuulalert set from the rotation you've chosen
    Step 3) Adjust the numbers to match your hotkeys. Double click each alert on the left hand side and change the value of the text field in the upper right corner to the hotkey you have that ability or macro set to. I've posted the numbers that correspond to each macro in the rotation guide above. EX: if your physical macro is now on hotkey #2 you'll need to change every alert that says "5" to a "2".
    Step 4) change the X and Y coordinates if needed (not suggested to move them by hand)

In Combat:
    Step 5) start with cooldowns(if applicable) and Frozen wrath.
    Step 6) Once you're in combat you'll see the indicator that will tell you which skill to use next shifting back and forth between physical and non-physical attacks
    Step 7) press buttons -> win

CAVEATS

Well, unfortunately there is no macro that can tell you exactly what to push in order to get absolute highest dps. This system will hopefully help you learn the rotation so that eventually you won't even need to look at it. Here are a few tricks that i've noticed using this for the past couple of weeks:

- Cooldown timing is everything; i've been able to parse over 15k with a super simple rotation by just getting the timing of the cooldowns to line up with MB, FW, LH, and RoS. If you screw up the rotations your dps will drop by hundreds. This is one of the only things that this macro cannot do.
    - Always use your physical attacks with the frostbite buff up, especially massive blow.
    - Don't use rush of strength when massive blow is up or about to be off cooldown. These macros will line that up for you but it helps to pay attention as the system is not perfect.
    - It helps to change your Karuul alert settings to "safer"
    - Feel free to modify these alerts as you see fit. If you don't like weaving in a certain skill just disable its alert.

There are many nuances to getting that elusive 15.5k parse (in pts gear) but a lot of it comes down to crit RNG. Hopefully this guide helps you get there.

Good Luck!

PS. Props to you if you get the pop culture references!

Screenshots in action:

[2.2] Lazy Shaman's guide to "max" dps (karuul alert)-screen1.jpg
    [2.2] Lazy Shaman's guide to "max" dps (karuul alert)-screen2.jpg

Default Hi

Hi there, 2 of my macros got some love outta yours, rotation was same except i had been skeptical about using Vex more often, parsed some more with those 2 macro updates and its looking good, managed 11.7k dps over 4:11 on self buffs at the raid boss dummy on live. I keep messing up here and there so i am sure once i master it, with this same gear i could hit that 12k mark.

Very good guide.
    "Who said clerics can't DPS!?"
    By Proxeneta
    October 2011

Glacial Strike will cause macro lag for targets above 30%. If you want to use it in a macro, make a second macro for sub 30%

You haven't given any guidelines for optimal use of RoS. You don't want to use it too early or you will clip Brutalize. I like to use it just as Brutalize is falling off.

You haven't given any guidleines for optimal use of Deep Freeze. You want to time this to coincide with a MB otherwise it's sometimes not worth losing a GCD for it. You shouldn't macro this with RotN if you are using RotN on cooldown.

I've looked at your alerts and they seem OK, however they certainly won't guarantee optimal usage of your cooldowns. You should probably be tracking Brutalize for that.

BTW the EoL alert is wrong, the debuff is just "Eruption" not "Eruption of Life"
    Last edited by Bowler Hat; 02-14-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Some good points, thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    Glacial Strike will cause macro lag for targets above 30%. If you want to use it in a macro, make a second macro for sub 30%
    Honestly I'm not sure what has happened since 1.11 but I haven't seen any lag caused by glacial strike. I've seen a few posts about it floating around the forums and from the general concensus it seems to be a lot better than pre-SL macro lag, although there probably is a still some.

You haven't given any guidelines for optimal use of RoS. You don't want to use it too early or you will clip Brutalize. I like to use it just as Brutalize is falling off.
    I made it so that RoS isn't used when MB is more than ~70% off cooldown and at most it will clip off 1 tic (2 gcd's minimum between MB's). I guess it would be possible to add that into it but I didn't want to give it too small of a window.

You haven't given any guidleines for optimal use of Deep Freeze. You want to time this to coincide with a MB otherwise it's sometimes not worth losing a GCD for it. You shouldn't macro this with RotN if you are using RotN on cooldown.

I've looked at your alerts and they seem OK, however they certainly won't guarantee optimal usage of your cooldowns. You should probably be tracking Brutalize for that.
    Yep, this is one of the few things that i couldn't get working with karuul alert, because each alert can only have one condition. I do suggest above saving the cooldowns to coincide with MB and FW (which works perfectly most of the time) usually this means delaying your cooldowns by about ~4 seconds after they become availible, but I forgot to mention that its pretty much a requirement for deep freeze.

BTW the EoL alert is wrong, the debuff is just "Eruption" not "Eruption of Life"
    I'm not sure if this is a problem with karuul alert or just a mixup of the ability tooltips, I initially thought the same thing but it actually works with eruption of life for some reason. In any case, as long as it works i'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure what has happened since 1.11 but I haven't seen any lag caused by glacial strike. I've seen a few posts about it floating around the forums and from the general concensus it seems to be a lot better than pre-SL macro lag, although there probably is a still some.
    Macro lag has worsened in SL, it's not hard to test for yourself. The presence of Glacial Strike will prevent the queuing of the next ability since the condition can only be determined at the same time the GCD is up. This adds up to one or more lost abilites over time.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with karuul alert or just a mixup of the ability tooltips, I initially thought the same thing but it actually works with eruption of life for some reason. In any case, as long as it works i'm happy.
    Check again, it isn't working. There is no such debuff as "Eruption of Life" therefore your alert will always be active. Once again this isn't difficult for you to test for yourself.

Rift Disciple

correct, I had to take GS out of my macro, did not like the stutututututter 2 step.

Plane Walker

Macro lag has worsened in SL, it's not hard to test for yourself. The presence of Glacial Strike will prevent the queuing of the next ability since the condition can only be determined at the same time the GCD is up. This adds up to one or more lost abilites over time.

Check again, it isn't working. There is no such debuff as "Eruption of Life" therefore your alert will always be active. Once again this isn't difficult for you to test for yourself.
    Pretty sure the ability queue works now, even with Glacial Strike.

For GS i'll post a separate priority alert for those who want to keep it separate, it doesn't mess with me but that could be the product of high PC power and low latency.

As for eruption of life, i use these macro's on a daily basis and the EoL alert isn't always active, I'll check again when I get home from work to find out whats going on but i'm sure the alerts work.

ignoring vex, typically the sequence goes (for me):

4 (FW) > 5 (MB) > 1 (LH) > 5 (CE) > shift-4 (jolt) > 5 (CB) > shift-4 (EoL) > 5 (CB) > 4 (Icy blow) 5(CB/MB)> 4 (Icy blow) > 5 (CB/MB) > shift-4 (jolt) <-- meaning EoL has dropped off

Basicaly, each cycle I press the EoL macro twice and the Icy blow macro twice. This might not be exact since i'm just going off of memory but the Icy blow macro #4 *only* appears when karuul alert detects that eruption of life is active on the mob. So i'm not sure if there is a problem with tooltips or the way karuul alert works but I do know that if what you are saying is true then I wouldn't have Icy blow in my parses at all and I would'nt ever see the icy blow button appear. Neither of these is the case.

Are you seeing any different in-game?
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 02-14-2013 at 10:59 AM.

For anyone who wants Glacial strike on a separate button:

import this alert:

Code:
    Glacial Strike;5;T;player;2;T;T;T;Glacial Strike;AFCA9CF0B9559C214;15;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\harbinger_rending_slash_a.dds;700;745;57.6;57.6;1.2;1;9;CENTER;1;;1;0;0;30;T;T;CENTER;1;T;1;F;0

As for not clipping brutalize, after just attempting to add it, by the time the dot falls off your MB only has about 4-3 GCD's left before your next massive blow (~7 seconds between MB's). Basically you end up in a situation where you're using RoS immediately before your MB and it is pretty much a waste. If you can pull it off thats awesome but its not something that can be should be done in a karuul alert.

On the subject of EoL. just looked at it in-game:

Name of ability: Eruption of life
    Combat log damage of main hit: Eruption of Life
    Name of debuff on the mob: Eruption of Life
    Combat log damage per tic: Life Surge

I think Eruption is what it used to be called a long long time ago and is just left over in karuul alert's memory.
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 02-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Telaran

wait... weaving in Vex is a higher dps increase than weaving in EoL?
    can someone tell me in words, when you should Vex? is it always refresh rather than use icy blow or jolt?
    EoL rule is always refresh above icy blow right?

As for not clipping brutalize, after just attempting to add it, by the time the dot falls off your MB only has about 4-3 GCD's left before your next massive blow (~7 seconds between MB's). Basically you end up in a situation where you're using RoS immediately before your MB and it is pretty much a waste. If you can pull it off thats awesome but its not something that can be should be done in a karuul alert.
    Strangely, people use Shaman for more than bashing dummies in a futile attempt to extend their epeen. In a real world scenario, disconnnects and mechanics are going to destroy any magical cooldown alignment you are relying on. If you are going to blindly use RoS on cooldown you're doing it wrong.

The "best" time to use RoS is shortly after a MB whilst you still have a lot of RotN stacks up. The easiest way to track this is Brutalize, when the DoT is about to fall of you can tap your off GCD RoS key and the phys-ele rotation will do the rest.

You simply cannot evaluate the effectivness of this by bashing a stationary dummy. But hey, derp it up, I don't care.

On the subject of EoL. just looked at it in-game:

Name of ability: Eruption of life
    Combat log damage of main hit: Eruption of Life
    Name of debuff on the mob: Eruption of Life
    Combat log damage per tic: Life Surge

I think Eruption is what it used to be called a long long time ago and is just left over in karuul alert's memory.
    My Eruption stack tracker works fine. The debuff does appear to now be "Eruption of Life" however.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawntreader View Post
    wait... weaving in Vex is a higher dps increase than weaving in EoL?
    can someone tell me in words, when you should Vex? is it always refresh rather than use icy blow or jolt?
    EoL rule is always refresh above icy blow right?

The way I figured it was that Vex should take priority over Icy blow as long as there is nothing else more important to cast. EoL is similar, basically Icy blow is your lowest damage attack so pretty much anything that does more damage than it can be used. I don't know if EoL or Vex yields more dps but I prioritized EoL over vex because EoL triggers frostbite and is macro'd with other magical attacks that will automatically take priority.

Vex won't be refreshed *exactly* when it drops but it won't get clipped either and it won't get priority over other shaman skills thats the most important part
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 02-14-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Rift Master

You simply cannot evaluate the effectivness of this by bashing a stationary dummy. But hey, derp it up, I don't care.
    You did read his caveat about this post being a simplified Shaman guide, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KarthosNZ View Post
    You did read his caveat about this post being a simplified Shaman guide, right?
    He states max DPS with Karuul Alerts and yet he doesn't track Brutalize, or provide adequate guidelines for cooldown usage. You'll note I'm not disecting the rotation at all. I'm simply providing the information he has missed.

Using all your cooldowns on cooldown is derping it up.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast