+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rift & Event Runner in 2.1 - 59 Defiler/ 17 Cab - AoE Monster

Shadowlander

Default Rift & Event Runner in 2.1 - 59 Defiler/ 17 Cab - AoE Monster

Good day all,

Long time lurker, first time posting a guide. I decided to write it because I haven't seen anyone link the exact build I've been running. I used it to level from 52-60 after the Druid pets started to feel less effective for massive AoE pulls. It's served me amazingly well and at 60 has completely come into it's own during Rifts & Zone Events in the Steppes and Ashora. It consistently tops the charts in AoE situations, easily capable of breaking 30K DPS on large pulls (in pre-expert gear). On top of that it has self and raid heal capabilities, all 4 Defiler links for small groups or multi-tank pickup raids, and can solo any open world content I've seen to date. The only place it falls short is single target DPS which caps for me at around 3500-4500 depending on crits and raid buffs. I've learned to work around that by using the Beacon to group 3-10 mobs at once depending on what's close.

Before getting to the meat of the guide, I want to give a HUGE thank you to Prude for his guide ď[1.11] The Defiler and YouĒ which you can find at http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...filer-you.html

It was a huge help when I first started up the Defiler tree. So many buttons, such an unusual pet mechanic. WTF are all of these links? His guide set me up for success and massively simplified the learning curve. Thanks Prude!

1. The Spec: 59 Defiler/ 17 Cabalist/ 0 Justicar
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...VgkfRfuVuR.-11

2. Abilities and acronyms for this guide

-Beacon of Despair (Beacon): Your pet, your tank, your omfg-oh-so-wonderful stand in for anything that wants to hit you in the face. 16 pt Defiler Tree talent.
    -Bond of Pain (BoP): Quite a nasty little instant cast damage reflection spell. The amount per hit doesnít look like much by tooltip, but it scales unbelievably well with each new add. A note about this spell: YOU do not have to get hit to proc it. Anything that hits your Beacon or links causes the effect, even when your Husk is up and you donít actually take any damage.
    -Curse of Discord (CoD): A DoT. Less damage than SV, but more than SD
    -Husk of Indifference (Husk): A self-shield that absorbs link damage (only link damage)
    -Marrow Harvest (MH): An instant cast, single target time bomb. Does very solid damage 6 seconds after cast. Does not initiate aggro until it pops so donít use it to pull.
    -Pain Transmission (PT): 2 sec cast, 15 sec CD deals decent damage to up to 3 targets. Targets have to be close to you, your Beacon, or one of your links, otherwise it whiffs.
    -Siphon Vitality (SV): DoT/ HoT that also refreshes Husk and can be spread by Unholy Nexus
    -Somatic Desecration (SD): Your filler cast. A 1.5 sec, low damage, spammable death spell. Many Defiler builds use it as THE spam ability. It is the primary reason that Defiler is considered a low-DPS soul. The only time you should actually hit this spell in the macro is if youíre down to a single target and everything else in on CD. In AoE pulls, donít even waste your time as cycling MH onto each target, or spamming Bound Fate is better DPS.
    -Unholy Nexus (Nexus): A No-Global-Cooldown ability that spreads Siphon Vitality, Marrow Harvest, and all Bonds to 5 other targets. Pretty much gives you 15 GCD cycles for free every 15 seconds.

-Bound Fate (BF): Bound Fate is Tyranny of Deathís BFF. Itís a low damage, instant cast chain-lightning bolt that hits up to 8 enemies at a time.
    -Curse of Solitude (CoS): This is either a great spell in a large enough pack, or a waste of a GCD. This spell debuffs one enemy into a pulsing AoE machine. For 15 seconds, the MOB deals a small amount of death damage to itself and 7 friends.
    -Dark Water (DW): A low damage instant with an additional 15 sec DoT. 15 sec cooldown.
    -Tyranny of Death (ToD): Another instant cast time bomb. This one deals damage to up to 8 enemies. The twist is that if those enemies ALSO have ToD active, theirs procs as well. And just to make this massive bundle of joy better, when specced 17 into Cabalist, your instant cast Bound Fate spam causes ToD to spread like the plague.

-Foul Growth (FG): Time bomb heal. Stacks up to 3 times. Youíll never hard cast this, it applies itself to your Beacon and Links as you DPS. Whenever anything is low on HP, youíll proc it with GR or Feedback.
    -Ghastly Restoration (GR): A no-GCD heal that procs Foul Growth. 15 second CD. Will full-heal your beacon from almost dead without missing a DPS beat.
    -Feedback: A low amount AoE instant cast heal. Procs Foul Growth. Great spell to use in small groups when youíve linked everyone else.
    -Hideous Reconstruction (HR): A decent amount, instant cast HoT.

3. Macros
    #1 The Single Target Spam Macro
    #show Somatic Desecration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Pain Transmission
    cast Dark Water
    cast Somatic Desecration
    cast Bound Fate
    cast Break Free
    #2 AoE Tyranny Spread Macro
    #show Tyranny of Death
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Tyranny of Death
    cast Bound Fate
    cast Break Free
    #3 Single Target Heal
    #show Ghastly Restoration
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseover Ghastly Restoration
    cast @mouseover Loathsome Restoration
    cast Break Free
    #4 The Beacon Unsummon
    #show Summon Beacon of Despair
    suppressmacrofailures
    cancelbuff Summon Beacon of Despair

4 Rotations
    This DPS in this build comes primarily from Tyranny of Death and Curse of Solitude. Thanks to Unholy Nexus's ability to spread Bond of Pain, Marrow Harvest, and Siphon Vitality I don't find myself sitting around early on waiting for that first round of Tyranny to pop.

I have two basic rotations, one for single target and one for simple AoE. I tend to weave them both together for max AoE in pulls when I'm not feeling lazy or distracted by monitoring the health of a group or ground/ enemy AoE effects.

4A.Single Target Rotation (The order can be tweaked for slightly more DPS, but I find it much more convenient to have a simple 4 key macro rotation and weave as necessary if Iím not being stressed by the pull)

Beacon -> SV -> BoP -> CoD -> MH -> DW -> PT -> SD until its time to re-DoT
    Looks like a hassle, but with macros it is quite simple
    Beacon -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 4 -> 4 -> 4

If you modify it during an AoE pull to spread SV, MH, and BoP with Nexus, it casts as

Beacon -> SV (repeat per MOB) -> BoP -> MH -> Nexus -> PT
    or
    Beacon -> 1 (repeat) -> 2 -> 4 -> Nexus -> 4

4B. AoE Rotation (3 buttons with macros for simple, lazy, and effective. Combine with the modified ST rotation to fancy it up and maximize DPS output)

Beacon -> SV (repeat per MOB) -> CoS -> ToD -> BF spam
    or
    Beacon -> 1 -> S1 -> S2 -> S2

5. Strategies
    The begin either rotation I drop my Beacon.

Single target is simple: Drop beacon on MOB, 12344444, 1344444, repeat

AoE is where the fun begins. I try to position myself between as many mobs as possible and drop the Beacon on me. Then I pull in everything nearby with Siphon Vitality. As the last mob is running in, I throw on BoP & MH before using Nexus to spread the love. If the Beacon is low, Iíll burn Ghastly Restoration on it now and if it is losing health really quickly, Iíll consider adding Hideous Reconstructionís HoT to the mix and/or Explosive Growth.

At this point Iím 3-4 GCDs into the actual pull and there are 4-8 mobs beating on my fully healed Beacon while taking massive damage from Bond of Pain. Each is also slowly refilling my life bar thanks to Siphon Vitality, and have Marrow Harvest ticking down.

Time to add some real AoE damage. If there are 5+ it is worth it to throw up a Curse of Solitude before spamming the ToD/BF macro. Otherwise just hit the macro a couple of times to apply and spread your Tyranny to the masses before casting Pain Transmission. By the time Pain Transmission finishes the 2 sec cast time, you are about 3 seconds from Unholy Nexus coming off of cooldown. You can either re-apply Tyranny if it has popped (priority is always on spreading Tyranny) or you can pop MH and SV onto one enemy and Nexus immediately to spread them around again.

One other thing. Iíve found it quite useful to pop a HoT onto your Beacon just before unsummoning. Itíll still be there when you drop the Beacon next pull. Gives just a bit more survivability to your tank for big pulls or when you need to range farther out to pull extra targets.

One other, other thing. Your Beacon is your tank! If you let your tank die, you will follow shortly.

That said, it does occasionally happen that you just donít get the cast off fast enough. Itís possible to recover since you are a healer. Cycle between Explosive Growth and the Ghastly Restoration macro until your new Beacon (You DID drop a new one immediately, didnít you??) picks up aggro. Try to be more careful with the little guy next time.

6. Karuulalert Settings.
    Karuulalert DL: http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info84-KaruulAlert.html
    This spec relies heavily on DoT and Bomb management to maximise DPS. Karuulalert makes that a TON easier and prevents clipping your DoTs unnecessarily. Here are the settings that I use just in case someone else finds them useful. Adjust positions as needed for your UI.

BoP:
    Code:
    Def - Bond of Pain;1;T;player.target;1;T;T;T;Bond of Pain;AFD5C3F51F3FDA6D4;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\defiler_bond_of_pain_cc.dds;1110;750;33.6;33.6;0.7;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6;F;0

CoD:
    Code:
    Def - Curse of Discord;1;T;player.target;1;T;T;T;Curse of Discord;AFE59DC918E6B08B0;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\cabalist_sigil_of_ravaging_a.dds;1040;750;33.6;33.6;0.7;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6;F;0

CoS:
    Code:
    Def - Curse of Solitude;1;T;player.target;1;T;T;T;Curse of Solitude;AFA1B8A9A465D72B9;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\curse_of_solitude.dds;1040;713;33.6;33.6;0.7;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6;F;0

MH:
    Code:
    Def - Marrow Harvest;1;T;player.target;1;T;T;T;Marrow Harvest;AFC4264675F711AA8;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\defiler_marrow_harvest.dds;1075;750;33.6;33.6;0.7;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6;F;0

SV:
    Code:
    Def - Siphon Vitality;1;T;player.target;1;T;T;T;Siphon Vitality;AFDFEE3277975AE4B;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\defiler_siphon_vitality_a.dds;1005;750;33.6;33.6;0.7;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6;F;0

Tyranny:
    Code:
    Def - Tyranny;1;T;player.target;1;T;T;T;Tyranny of Death;AFB2FB4E026534635;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\tyranny_of_death.dds;1005;713;33.6;33.6;0.7;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;6;F;0

Unholy Nexus:
    Code:
    Def - Unholy Nexus;1;T;player;2;T;T;F;Unholy Nexus;AFF862A0B2CA41D11;0;1;F;F;0;0;Rift;Data/\UI\ability_icons\defiler_unholy_nexus_a.dds;955;727;48;48;1;1;;CENTER;1;;1;1;1;30;T;T;CENTER;30;T;4;F;0

I hope that this helps out at least one other player. Critiques and feedback are always welcome. Thanks for reading!

-Truff

Plane Touched

Yeah, this is the AoE spec I used to level from 53-60, and I agree that it's pretty much the best spec for AoE grinding. Worked MUCH better that Druid, with insane AoE damage compared to Druid, and no worrying about death because you can just heal your beacon to full with 1 GCD!

Soulwalker

nice aoe !!!!
    Guilde Exploit
    EE 5/5 FT 4/4 TotDQ 4/4

Soulwalker

but what about this one?
    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/0mosfVx0VMvltVgkfRfuVuRv922

do you really need the 30% link?
    5% more magical dmg...

arenīt 10% more sp better than that?

I use 40 Def / 36 Cab for AoE farming and it rocks. Could go with only 38p Defiler, but I decided to use two extra points to get Explosive Growth, so it's better suited for support roles.

Can easily solo 8-9 elite gargoyls i Steppes and AoE them down in no time
    If you get a little behind on heals during the fight, you can simply switch to Grief Blight.

No mater what defiler/cabalist split you go for, you will get a fun spec
    Last edited by TriX; 03-07-2013 at 12:15 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

Soulwalker

my link is wrong...
    after 1 hour i still cannot edit my post...

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmsorlt0gkfRfuVuRvVx0VMvV

@TriX: you mean something like this?!

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmsoflt0...Vhvlx0VG00xcMz

Quote Originally Posted by Mutterkorn View Post
    @TriX: you mean something like this?!

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmsoflt0...Vhvlx0VG00xcMz
    Yep, correct
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

Soulwalker

Maybe I'm not getting it as quickly as others, but the macro order is the only thing throwing me off here.

When you say 1,2,3,4444, what macros are you reffering to? If I follow yours by the numbers, you are telling me to spam unsummoning my beacon midfight?

I'm sorry I am not comprehending this, I just need clarification so that I can try this out.

Shadowlander

More importantly, that addon is doing my head in.... -.-

I bet it's really good but my god it's complicated to set it up.

Like, just where do i paste those commands you recommended?

Been reading through the help file in game but it's doing a really bad job explaining what's going on.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ithyria View Post
    Maybe I'm not getting it as quickly as others, but the macro order is the only thing throwing me off here.

When you say 1,2,3,4444, what macros are you reffering to? If I follow yours by the numbers, you are telling me to spam unsummoning my beacon midfight?

I'm sorry I am not comprehending this, I just need clarification so that I can try this out.
    That confused me as well

Quote Originally Posted by Torasil View Post
    More importantly, that addon is doing my head in.... -.-

I bet it's really good but my god it's complicated to set it up.

Like, just where do i paste those commands you recommended?

Been reading through the help file in game but it's doing a really bad job explaining what's going on.
    Use "Import Alert" under the "File" menu.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ithyria View Post

Sorry about that. The key bindings are reflecting the button pushes of the line above them but I wasn't as clear as I should have been. For both examples above, the key binds are as follows:

1. Siphon Vitality (single spell)
    2. Bond of Pain (single spell)
    3. Curse of Discord (single spell)
    4. Macro #1 (ST Spam)

S1. Curse of Solitude (single spell)
    S2. Macro #2 (Tyranny of Death spreader)

Also, as I've geared up this spec has continued to be my fallback AoE and support setup. During a GH last night I managed to break 70k DPS for the first time. I love Tyranny of Death!
    Last edited by Truff; 03-15-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Plane Touched

Sorry OP, this build is poor in comparison to the more balanced 38/38 ish hybrid builds. Yours lacks single target usefulness, And even without testing, I am certain it under performs them in AoE. The real benefit of Pain Transmission is in firing from several links, you, tank, off tank, melee, melee, beacon. That causes serious damage. Makes it well worth the GCD to spawn beacon and the 2 second cast. Rather than you and beacon.

I suggest you try some of the more balanced specs and see the effects of Disintegration.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by TriX View Post
    I use 40 Def / 36 Cab for AoE farming and it rocks. Could go with only 38p Defiler, but I decided to use two extra points to get Explosive Growth, so it's better suited for support roles.

Can easily solo 8-9 elite gargoyls i Steppes and AoE them down in no time
    If you get a little behind on heals during the fight, you can simply switch to Grief Blight.

No mater what defiler/cabalist split you go for, you will get a fun spec
    Can you post a link to your soul tree setup and list any macro rotations you have? Your statement of AoE'ing 8-9 elites down in no time sounds like a fun setup to try!

Soulwalker

I use something similair but go higher into the cab tree 61/cab 15/defiler I'm in full vanquishers world gear. Your absolutely rite. Cab is an aoe monster, I've hit for over 200k dps in some onslaughts. Single target not so great but its so much fun pulling huge mobs and just exploding them. If I notice a lot of single target Comming my way I just switch to my inquisitor build.. very nice guide by the way. I'm gonna try goin up the defiler tree on the next build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast