+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [SL] Level 60 Cleric tips for getting started

Rift Chaser

Default [SL] Level 60 Cleric tips for getting started

This guide is designed to help interested clerics understand the ins and outs of tanking but it may also be useful for other classes to understand the strengths of the cleric tank. The guide assumes that the reader has reached level 60 and is interested in tanking but does not have a lot of experience. Many of the suggestions have normal and expert dungeons in mind. When raid tanking, cooldowns should be used more carefully.

The Seraphic Guard purpose is a viable build for cleric tanks.
    (61 Justicar/9 Shaman/6 Inquisitor)

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#rkGGFlkll5h0/lgK/n88

The cleric tank takes advantage of the strengths of the cleric class in order to survive. While we don’t wear plate armor like the warrior or dodge attacks like the rogue, we are able to balance these things out with self and party healing.

Below are the minimum stats that you should aim for when tanking in Storm Legion. Once you meet these requirements, have at it.

Storm Legion Experts:
    300 toughness
    300 hit
    35,000 hp minimum

Storm Legion Tier 1 Raids
    400 toughness
    400 hit
    50,000 hp minimum

Toughness reduces the impact of critical hits so that the damage you receive is manageable. Hit is important because it reduces your missed attacks. Hitting the enemy builds up threat. Without enough hit, the party will draw the enemies away from you.

As a tank your priorities are to stay alive and to taunt enemies to attack you instead of the other members of the party. Your dps output and utilities come second and should never be put ahead of the group’s survival.

The bread and butter of the Justicar is the accumulation and use of convictions. You will have very limited options without convictions to spend on abilities. The good news is that convictions come and go easily so you should always have them when you need them.

Cleric tanks can maintain up to 7 convictions which are spent on abilities. Blocking with a shield gives one conviction, life-based attacks give one conviction, life-based critical hits give two convictions.

Buffs to maintain:
    Mien of Leadership – Causes great threat from attacks and over healing, boosts stats, and is maintained through death.
    Courage of the Bear – 5% endurance boost
    Armor of Treachery – 3% armor and 3% endurance boost
    Vengeance of the Winter Storm – Adds additional damage to weapon attacks
    Righteous Mandate – Cast on another party member. See benefits below

Strategy:

The trickiest part of a fight is sometimes the pull. It is crucial to build threat on your target/targets right away so that the rest of the team does not draw them away. As such, you want to make sure that you build some threat on all targets during the pull. Pulling a group of chained enemies with a single target attack will bring them all toward you but will only cause threat on the one that was hit by your pull attack. The others will head toward whichever party member hits them or heals first. The thing to remember here is to pull single enemies with a single target attack and pull packs of enemies with a multiple target attack.

Below are the macros that I use and why.

Single target conviction builder
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Strike of Retribution
    cast Precept of Refuge
    cast Doctrine of Authority
    cast Bolt of Radiance
    cast Strike of Judgment
    cast Reckoning
    cast Vex

For pulling a single target such as a boss or pathing enemy, this single target conviction builder macro will work fine. Most of the abilities require melee range so from a distance, Bolt of Radiance, Reckoning, or Vex will be cast. Vex is at the bottom because unlike the others, it does not require you to be facing your enemy. If you are running back to the group, Vex will cast and create threat. You can read the tool tips for the other abilities but suffice it to say that they either generate threat, reduce incoming damage, or both.

Single target conviction burn
    #show Hammer of Duty
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Doctrine of Glory
    cast Hammer of Duty

Once you build up convictions, it is time to use them. Doctrine of Glory reduces your damage taken for four seconds based on the number of built up convictions. With a single enemy, surviving is your focus so damage reduction is the way to go. Hammer of Duty does damage/creates threat and can be used while Doctrine of Glory is on cooldown.

Multiple target conviction builder
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Strike of Retribution
    cast Even Justice

The multiple target conviction builder can only be used in melee range to generate threat. Because of this, it is usually all that is needed to hold agro but it is not useful for an initial multiple target pull. Instead pull multiple targets with your multiple target conviction burn macro.

Multiple target conviction burn
    #show Hammer of Faith
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Hammer of Faith
    cast Doctrine of Loyalty

Hammer of Faith hits up to five enemies from a distance which is usually enough to get them all to focus on you. If you have convictions remaining from the last fight, use them to cast Hammer of Faith. If you have no convictions, Total Assurance is available every sixty seconds to give you seven convictions. Doctrine of Loyalty is under Hammer of Faith because it does not require a target so it will go off when Hammer of Faith is not available. This could happen due to losing the target or facing the wrong direction. Doctrine of Loyalty causes heal threat to all enemies and is sometimes enough to taunt them to you.

Use your multiple target conviction burner or single target conviction burner mid fight as you see fit to keep yourself alive and maintain threat.

Cleric tanks have many additional abilities worth studying but here are a few to keep in mind:

Resplendent Embrace lasts 10 seconds. It boosts healing by 50% and give you an extra 20% maximum health for the duration.

Just Defense is a 10 second damage shield that absorbs up to 50% of your maximum health.

Purpose toggles on and off. While it is on, you cannot build convictions but each swing returns mana to you. Toggle it off when you have enough mana.

Reprieve is a full heal every sixty seconds that also heals the recipient of your Righteous Mandate. As a last resort, Reprieve can be used to generate massive threat.

Righteous Mandate should be cast on another party member such as the healer. They will receive your Salvation heals and share up to 50% of the full heal from your Reprieve.

Rebuke pulls up to five enemies and forces them to attack you. This is handy to bring a stationary caster into range so they can be AOE’d down.

Absolution is a battle res usable every five minutes.

Interdict interrupts enemies from up to 30m away.

Censure reduces the hit chance of up to 10 enemies for 15 seconds. It is nice to maintain that debuff on enemies or use it to hit larger packs due to the 5 target limitation of Even Justice.

Rift Chaser

Oops meant to say level 60 cleric tanking tips in the subject line.

Soulwalker

I am lvl 40... started tanking using this guide. So far great guide

Rift Chaser

Is it possible to rename my guide to "[SL] Level 60 Cleric tanking guide"? I think it is a good guide but people are not noticing it because I gave it the wrong name.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Is it possible to rename my guide to "[SL] Level 60 Cleric tanking guide"? I think it is a good guide but people are not noticing it because I gave it the wrong name.
    maybe send a PM to somebody from the site ....

Soulwalker

Nice guide

I would like to add some advice as I have tanked with cleric since I could queue for randoms.

For every pull I start with Bolt of Radiance as it grants 1 conviction.

The next thing I hit is Doctrine of Loyalty. Why because it heals everyone in the party and because they are all full health it is all overhealing. Because of Mien of Leadership you generate 350% threat and all your overhealing generates threat. That overheal will glue mobs to you.

Anytime adds pop you dont even have to target them, just DoL and they come running for you.

Just my 2 cents.

*edit* this is also why I dont take 3 points in Divine Right. It changes the heal to an absorb. Doesnt generate agro.
    Last edited by LeperMessiah; 02-27-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeperMessiah View Post
    Nice guide

I would like to add some advice as I have tanked with cleric since I could queue for randoms.

For every pull I start with Bolt of Radiance as it grants 1 conviction.

The next thing I hit is Doctrine of Loyalty. Why because it heals everyone in the party and because they are all full health it is all overhealing. Because of Mien of Leadership you generate 350% threat and all your overhealing generates threat. That overheal will glue mobs to you.

Anytime adds pop you dont even have to target them, just DoL and they come running for you.

Just my 2 cents.

*edit* this is also why I dont take 3 points in Divine Right. It changes the heal to an absorb. Doesnt generate agro.
    Healing already generates threat, MoL just makes overhealing generate threat as well. They should probably modify the tooltip to specify this so people stop assuming only overhealing generates extra threat. And even if the shield from Divine Right doesn't generate any threat, you are still generating threat from healing others, and you need to take those 3 points for 4.5% endurance, 6% resists, 3% armor, and 1.5% damage.

Anyway DoL is a crap heal now, damaging abilities plus Salvation is much more effective if you are able to hit the enemies.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-27-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Soulwalker

Will give it a try and see how it goes. Good info.

Rift Chaser

The 61 point ability gives 7 convictions and is very useful for pulling groups after any sort of downtime so that you can pull with Hammer of Faith and actually hit them all.

As I suggested in the guide, pulling groups with a single target attack is very risky as even though they are chained and all come running, the others will break away as soon as someone else attacks or heals.

Ascendant

Yeah I found it most effective to begin every aoe pull with Total Assurance > Hammer of Faith. If chain-pulling trash and the cooldown is not up, you can pull with Rebuke > Even Justice

+ Reply to Thread