+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [SL 2.1] Grinding Build - Cabalist/Defiler

Rift Master

Default [SL 2.1] Grinding Build - Cabalist/Defiler

Not gonna lie. I don't think this is a great build. However, with a dearth of possible grinding build, this is the best I've got.

What this is:
    Excellent AoE capabilities
    Measly ST
    Semi-sustainable - it's not fire n forget like icar build were pre SL
    Pet Management required - sorry.
    Not mind free - I'm not claiming this needs pro skills to use, but you will have to think a bit while grinding - not ideal, but there you go. I do so miss my Cabacar.
    NOT A SUPPORT SPEC. While it has a couple of links, it is not optimal to fill a support role in a dungeon.
    A so-so PVP spec. It's some AoE. I guess. I haven't really tried it, but I suppose it's possible.

SPEC 48 Cab 26 Def 2 Puri

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...Ex592/Ur2G9830

NOTE: I do not take 2/2 Rampant Growth because this would negate the possibility of using Well of Souls and Sign of Wrath. You can do so if you wish, just take the points out of Purifier. As it is, you have a 50% chance of using a damaging ability to put Foul Growth on your beacon - fair odds.

BUFFS

Rage Blight
    Sign of Wrath
    Seeping Death - PRO TIP: Put this on your Beacon. Now, whenever you summon it, it will already have Seeping Death on it; the timer of the buff persists only while the beacon is active.

MACROS - As always optional, but the less thinking you do with grind builds the better

Single Target

#show Dark Water
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Obliterate
    cast Tyranny of Death
    cast Marrow Harvest
    cast Dark Water
    cast Bound Fate

AoE

#show Bound Fate
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Tyranny of Death
    cast Bound Fate

The [notactive] line forces Obliterate to be on when you spam the macro. The upshot of this is that Tyranny of Death and Bound Fate (and Disintegrate, but keep that out of the macro) will do double damage. If you want to go back to AoE, just hit Obliterate and hit the AoE macro.

OTHER SKILLS

There's a few...

Estoric Emanations - Channeled mana regeneration
    Summon Beacon of Despair - Your tank
    Ravaging Darkness - big self heal that is ideally used on AoE packs
    Maelstrom - gathers mobs. It's handy from time to time, especially since it slows them.
    Sigil of Binding - snare
    Sigil of Secrecy - AoE Silence
    Sigil of Ruin - AoE stun
    Tyranny of Death - despite its inclusion into both my macros, I find it useful to have on its own key as well
    Disintegrate - Massive damage, either AoE or ST, depending on if you have Obliterate active. Use liberally.
    Shadow Breach - defensive cooldown. But it still feels so out of place with a Cabalist. If only my Justicar had this...
    Siphon Vitality - DoT that heals you. This counts as a heal for Cardial Conversion
    Curse of Solitude - DoT that pulses AoE damage. You can use Curse of Discord as well (not on the same target that has Curse of Solitude) but for me at least, it does identical damage as Siphon Vitality. Your choice.
    Well of Souls - Places an AoE circle that does damage to all inside it. It must be cast on an enemy, ie it cannot be placed at your whim. Make sure you use it when your mobs get to your tank, and not while they are running to it.
    Symbol of The Torch - a shield. Not great, but helpful nonetheless.
    Loathsome Restoration - heals for a small amount and procs Foul Growths on the target.

HOW TO PLAY

AoE

Lay down your Beacon, either at your feet (don't select a target) or on a target (select a target). This way, you can control where you fight to some degree.

Pull mobs with Siphon Vitality. This will ensure your Husk of Indifference will be on you when they start attacking the Beacon; you WILL take significant Link damage if this is not on all the time.

Give one mob Curse of Solitude

Give one mob Well of Souls

Engage your AoE rotation, which is Tyranny of Death > Bound Fate > Disintegration > etc.

Keep an eye on your Beacon's health. If it gets low, use a healing spell. At almost any point in its health, a full stack of Foul Growths procced with Loathsome Restoration will heal it to full. This can be cast on the beacon while targeting a mob that is targeting your beacon.

Continue. With plenty of mobs, you may find you have to go Damage > Damage > Heal etc to keep up with the damage on the Beacon. If your Beacon is really low, you can summon a new one, if the cooldown is up - however, this often results in all the mobs targeting you until you make a damaging attack on them, which is sometimes fatal.

Additional note, every time you cast a healing spell - including Siphon Vitality - you gain a full Husk of Indefference. Do NOT let this fall off.

ST

Pretty much the same, but ensure Obliterate is up and spam your ST macro.

So, there you go. See how it turns out for you. There are some spec options, such as taking Dark Passage, or Sigil of Spirits, etc. but you can make that decision for yourself. The only other solo options I can think of are a Druid/Shaman/Justi variants, which bores the living bejesus out of me. This is fairly enjoyable if only for the sheer amount of big numbers you can bring up, and the sadistic thoughts that run through your head as you destroy idiotic mobs smacking up a decoy.
    Last edited by KarthosNZ; 12-19-2012 at 04:41 AM.

If I read to fast an missed this , sorry. But with the 2 in puri you can use the puri shield on your beacon. Just make a target beacon, cast shield macro, or cast@, w/e you prefer.It helps a good bit an gives you more time to damage before ya have to heal the beacon.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Zinbik, Cleric Lead

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by denalidave View Post
    If I read to fast an missed this , sorry. But with the 2 in puri you can use the puri shield on your beacon. Just make a target beacon, cast shield macro, or cast@, w/e you prefer.It helps a good bit an gives you more time to damage before ya have to heal the beacon.
    You don't even need to do that. With a mob targeted that is targeting your beacon, you can cast any heal, or shield in this case, on your beacon without changing targets.

Quote Originally Posted by KarthosNZ View Post
    You don't even need to do that. With a mob targeted that is targeting your beacon, you can cast any heal, or shield in this case, on your beacon without changing targets.
    Interesting, I woulda swore the shield an heals hit me when the mob was targeted. I will have to double check that.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Zinbik, Cleric Lead

You are missing out on a lot of damage by putting more than 41 points into the cabalist tree.

Dark Impulses - Defiler - Adds 4% death damage/healing per point. 5 points maximum.

This is the correct spec. http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...g4h8g/UkaAGg4g

I can see your point about Sign of Wrath, but I don't think it's worth it.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    You are missing out on a lot of damage by putting more than 41 points into the cabalist tree.

Dark Impulses - Defiler - Adds 4% death damage/healing per point. 5 points maximum.

This is the correct spec. http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...g4h8g/UkaAGg4g

I can see your point about Sign of Wrath, but I don't think it's worth it.
    Hm. Fair suggestion. I had completely forgotten about Dark Impulses. I'll give that a whirl, though I do like Well of Souls. Should be quite an improvement

+ Reply to Thread