+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Whitemage's Guide to Defiler Healing aka Burst Linker

Shadowlander

Default Whitemage's Guide to Defiler Healing aka Burst Linker

So after receiving several comments today on my healing in randoms, I've decided to post my spec and rotation as it's proven very effective so far, at least in experts. I haven't had a chance to raid in SL yet.

Burst Linker

The basic idea here is to get the absolute most +heals and absorption. Most people I've seen with similar builds talk about using the sentinels abilities for AoE healing, but I've noticed they don't do much without actually specing into the +light spells etc. So the only things I use in the Sentinel tree are Empowering Light to aoe cleanse, and the I use the Heroic Resolve and Healer's Blessing Buffs.

I'll then buff up with Sign of Wrath and Wisdom of the Ages from Purifier; and Grief Blight from Defiler.

Once that's taken care of, use Link of Suffering on the Tank, Link of Misery on Support, and Link of Distress on either of the DPS.

Now my basic rotation is using Symbol of the Torch, and Explosive Growth on the tank. I'll let explosive growth just sit there until I need to trigger it with Loathsome Restoration, and refresh it, if it times out. The entire rest of the time I'm using Loathsome Restoration to spot heal the group and spamming Empowered Affliction, as this rotation is not mana efficient on healing intensive fights; however I've always found enough time to keep myself from going OOM throughout the entire run.

I'd say the Defiler's biggest weakness is burst AoE heals, however with a little anticipation this can be avoided. If you know something is coming up that will deal heavy damage to your entire group, about 7 seconds before it happens, stack explosive growth on your entire party, and wait for the damage, once it happens use [color=lightblue]Feedback. Unless they are out of your range, this should be almost a 100% heal on every member in your party.

And it's not much but you can throw Bond of Pain on the boss for around 500ish dps, this can be pretty effective in AoE Trash pulls. I also apply Healer's Covenant, and Hideous Reconstruction as needed.

The core points here are 40 Defiler and 21 Sentinel, the rest of the points are personal preference, originally I went 44 into Defiler for Feast of the Fallen, and only 11 into Purifier, but I like my current spec more.

I also use mouseover macros for almost every one of my abilities, so I don't have to actually select anyone to cast on them.

I'm currently uploading just a short clip from an instance I was in earlier, once it's done I'll update this post with the video (within the hour). I'll also upload a full run later.
    Last edited by Mana; 12-16-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Shadowlander

Here's the the short clip. ^_^
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBoU80V584

Soulwalker

nice build but im really liking the 61def/15sent myself. the higher point abilities are well worth it in def

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Caztiell View Post
    nice build but im really liking the 61def/15sent myself. the higher point abilities are well worth it in def
    I was tempted to mess around with a 61 point build for awhile too. Now, I may be under-estimating Unstable Transformation, but going 61 Def/15 Sent, you'd be losing out on the AoE cleanse, the additional +31% healing/absorption, and +10% wisdom, you get from my build.
    Last edited by Mana; 12-17-2012 at 02:27 AM.

This is similar to the defiler build I have been experimenting with exept I put 11 points in warden instead of purifier to try and make up for the lack of AoE heals. I'll preface this by saying I am absolutely a TERRIBLE healer but there are a few things to keep in mind:

Heals from buffs are 100% confirmed bugged right now, they are healing for 2x the amount they are supposed to be healing for

1. healers blessing is healing for ~1.5k on almost every cast when it should be 700-800

2. foul growth is hitting for ~4k-5k when I cast it manually but ~10k when I apply it with explosive growth

once this bug is fixed I do not expect defiler to be viable in experts untill the tank and healer are at least expert geared. The tank healing is fine with foul growth (not bugged 10k, but just regular FG) but when the tank and group are taking hits a defiler just can't keep up

Edit timer: explosive growth might just be lumping all the FG stacks together into one number. I'm not at home to check but someone should double check me to be sure.

Soulwalker

Default Sp? Mana?

-- for that clip .. couldnt see what kinda mana pool you had but didnt seem like it dropped very much. and one EG seemed to almost full heal your tank.. was i missing something (my eyes miss fast visuals sometimes - and couldnt see numbers etc, so..)..
    -What SP are you working with (approx) .? and what kinda mana pool do you have (or was it alot of mana regen ability - which i did see once or twice but wasnt sure if were spamming or just was those 1 or 2 times only).?
    --Just curious. always looking for more defiler news, ideas, and tactics. I like mine but seeing others always is a boon for new ideas, using ideas from others, or just plain patting self on the back cause your doing it already...
    Thanks,

--Long live the Defilers.!!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Darkforge View Post
    -- for that clip .. couldnt see what kinda mana pool you had but didnt seem like it dropped very much. and one EG seemed to almost full heal your tank.. was i missing something (my eyes miss fast visuals sometimes - and couldnt see numbers etc, so..)..
    -What SP are you working with (approx) .? and what kinda mana pool do you have (or was it alot of mana regen ability - which i did see once or twice but wasnt sure if were spamming or just was those 1 or 2 times only).?
    --Just curious. always looking for more defiler news, ideas, and tactics. I like mine but seeing others always is a boon for new ideas, using ideas from others, or just plain patting self on the back cause your doing it already...
    Thanks,

--Long live the Defilers.!!
    I have exactly 17k mana, and 3183 Spellpower. I do use that mana regen ability alot, but it restores so much mana that it only takes a few presses to get going again. And if I understand your last question correctly this build was just made by myself through trial and error :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    Heals from buffs are 100% confirmed bugged right now, they are healing for 2x the amount they are supposed to be healing for

1. healers blessing is healing for ~1.5k on almost every cast when it should be 700-800

2. foul growth is hitting for ~4k-5k when I cast it manually but ~10k when I apply it with explosive growth
    Edit timer: explosive growth might just be lumping all the FG stacks together into one number. I'm not at home to check but someone should double check me to be sure.
    Yea that's the whole point of using explosive growth, it heals for 3x the amount of foul growth, its not bugged, its just awesome. You're also forgetting that if you add up all the +heals in my talents, I have over +100%, and that's not counting the 10% you get from Grief Blight, or the bonus to your linked targets.

Again just so everyone is clear, the heals I'm using are not bugged, they're intended to be that strong, which is why they use up so much mana.

Rift Chaser

I heal with almost the same spec, except I get Enraptured Breath and Marked by the Light for more AOE healing. It's amazing spec. It'll be more amazing once they allow >1 Defiler in a raid (blights) and fix how shields (puri) work w/ links.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Yea that's the whole point of using explosive growth, it heals for 3x the amount of foul growth, its not bugged, its just awesome. You're also forgetting that if you add up all the +heals in my talents, I have over +100%, and that's not counting the 10% you get from Grief Blight, or the bonus to your linked targets.
    Actually tbh they are bugged. Before the 2.1 patch, FG's applied by Explosive Growth were healing for 1/2 of what they are post-2.1. Hopefully this was a stealth buff, and wasn't added into the patch notes for whatever reason; however I doubt that they intended to buff Defilers by that much.
    Last edited by Falsedemise; 12-17-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Falsedemise View Post
    Actually tbh they are bugged. Before the 2.1 patch, FG's applied by Explosive Growth were healing for 1/2 of what they are post-2.1. Hopefully this was a stealth buff, and wasn't added into the patch notes for whatever reason; however I doubt that they intended to buff Defilers by that much.
    I hate that I cant edit my posts, I ment to say 20% from Grief Blight.

But if you look at the numbers, they are not bugged, Explosive Growth does nothing other than make foul growth apply 3 times, so when it goes off, it's just FOUL GROWTH going off 3 times. Plus the heals from Loathsome Restoration. I'm not sure if it's counting it as an instant cast spell though, which may explain why it's much stronger with all the bonuses to instant spells I have in this spec.
    Last edited by Mana; 12-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Shadowlander

Also wanna throw out there that I was using this same spec before 2.1. So, yup.

But if you look at the numbers, they are not bugged, Explosive Growth does nothing other than make foul growth apply 3 times, so when it goes off, it's just FOUL GROWTH going off 3 times. Plus the heals from Loathsome Restoration. I'm not sure if it's counting it as an instant cast spell though, which may explain why it's much stronger with all the bonuses to instant spells I have in this spec.
    Agree, pre 2.1 I topped with 3x4,7k heal for each foul growth critted add about 4-5k for critted LR and you got 15-20k heal in just 2 GCD's. It's very powerfull but as a healer you need to think a little ahead. Add EG to tank and other players up front, so when they need a big heal(within 10s) just use LR to trigger it

Also Grief Blight add 20% heal to that and with -20% incomming damage for the tank(linked), it all makes tank healing pretty viable.

I havent played that much with defiler healing build though. But if I did so, I would not go 61p defiler, as the AoE cleanse(21p sent) and at least one point in Merciful Appeal is making encounters like the third boss in EotSQ doable
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

Rift Chaser

I hate that I cant edit my posts, I ment to say 20% from Grief Blight.

Cast Foul Growth on yourself (three times if you like) and see how much each stack of Foul Growth hits for.
    Then cast Explosive Growth on yourself and see how much each stack of Foul Growth hits for.

notice that the numbers are very different.

Unless you're going to try to tell me that you get 100% increase to healing when using instant cast spells
    Last edited by Falsedemise; 12-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Shadowlander

Cast Foul Growth on yourself (three times if you like) and see how much each stack of Foul Growth hits for.
    Then cast Explosive Growth on yourself and see how much each stack of Foul Growth hits for.

notice that the numbers are very different.

Unless you're going to try to tell me that you get 100% increase to healing when using instant cast spells
    Obsessive - 5%
    Peak Form 10% when targets are over 90%
    Change is Good - Increased effect of spellpower on Foul Growth by 12%
    Dark Impulses - 20%
    Vicissitude - Increases effect of Spellpower on Loathsome Restoration by 10%
    Intensity - 2%
    Prudence - +9% when targets over 90%
    Searing Heat +10%
    Benediction - 4%
    Expeditious - +6%
    Call to Action - +6% when targets below 75%
    Divine Understanding +10%
    Grief Blight - +20% in combat

So, just so you don't have to add it all up, thats a static +77% to healing, +96% when they are over 90% hp, and +83% when they are below 75% hp. With the effect of my spellpower being increased by 22%.

You can also add 25% across the board for when I'm using Feedback to trigger it.
    Last edited by Mana; 12-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast