+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "the Smiler", a melee SL leveling/questing build

Default "the Smiler", a melee SL leveling/questing build

Presenting "the Smiler", a cleric solo/questing/SL leveling build

51 Shaman/16 Defiler/0 Justicar- Note, this spec requires level 51 to really shine. Frozen Wrath and Beacon of Despair are both pretty necessary for success.

This build is one I designed exclusively for the purpose of solo questing. I find most other cleric leveling builds to either be very durable while killing very slowly, or nuke-zilla glass cannons. My experience with this build has been excellent vs. solo mobs, to the point that they are dying so fast that I don't even mind pulling them one by one, while also being very reasonable vs. 3-4 mobs of comparable or somewhat higher levels. This is NOT a build designed to top parses or be applicable in raids. Though there may be some potential with some more tinkering!

Without further ado, here is the core of the spec;

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Un2E4/lkalgikll4/r

This is for level 51. At the time I am writing this, I am currently level 57, and this is where I am at;

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Ukax9E/lkalgikll4/r

With shaman, the goal is to trigger Frostbite with a magical attack, and then consume Frostbite with a physical attack immediately afterwards to increase the damage of that attack by 30%. This works for both aoe and single target damage.

Here are my ST macros with this spec

#show Crushing Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Vengeance of the Winter Storm
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Deep Freeze
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Crushing Blow
    cast Siphon Vitality

#show Icy Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Vengeance of the Winter Storm
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Icy Blow

#show Lightning Hammer
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rush of Strength
    cast Lighting Hammer

#show Jolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rush of Strength
    cast Jolt

Your rotation here is to weave back and forth between 2 and 1, substituting 3 for 2 when the mob will be alive long enough (read: almost never), and 4 for 2 if frozen wrath is up and improved jolt is available (often). It will also be worth it to hit 3 or 4 while your gcd is running to trigger Rush of Strength when your massive blow is on cooldown and RoS is up. You may decide to remove RoS from the macros to maximize optimal usage of the ability, but for the purpose of short, frequent usage while questing solo, I find these macros very efficient.

AoE

#show Avalanche Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Vengeance of the Primal North
    cast Deep Freeze
    cast Avalanche Strike

#show Strike of the Maelstrom
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Vengeance of the Primal North
    cast Strike of the Maelstrom.

This is the same basic principal. Macro 2 triggers Frostbite, Macro 1 consumes it.

It will rarely be relevant when questing with this build, but it's worth taking the time to note the following:

When pulling a pack of mobs, start by casting Frozen Wrath to your primary target. Cast macro 2 to apply Deep Freeze, and again for an Avalanche Strike that will trigger your Frostbite from Frozen Wrath and also benefit from Deep Freeze. Then from that point, weave back and from 2 to 1 to trigger and consume frostbite. The reasoning for this is that there will always be a lag between Frozen Wrath on your primary target and on the additional adds. This means when Frozen Wrath falls off of your primary target, it will immediately be reapplied via the debuff on the additional mobs being hit by your Strike of the Maelstrom.

General Playstyle

For AoE pulls, pick a centrally located mob and drop Beacon of Despair on them. Then begin casting Macro 1 on any mobs you want to pull, applying Siphon Vitality. The mobs will all run to your beacon. I like to take a moment to cast a few stacks of foul growth on the Beacon and to cast Husk of Indifference, especially if I am fighting mobs that are higher level than me, or if I am fighting more than 3 mobs. Once they're all bunched up, begin your normal AoE rotation. Loathsome Restoration or Glacial Shield are useful if you find yourself in trouble. It is very possible that your beacon may die before the mobs, but if so they should be very close to dead, so just finish them off and cast a couple instant heals on the way to your next pull. If you can move fast enough, you will be able to maintain 5 stacks of Rage Blight very easily between pulls! Bonus damage, fun had by all.

Single target pulls are very, very easy, even for elite or high level mobs. Drop beacon, and cast macro 2, then macro 1. Note that if Deep Freeze is off cooldown, your first usage of macro 1 per fight will cast Deep Freeze. Once it does, cast macro 1 again for a MASSIVE Blow (yuck yuck- i'm currently getting 17k crits with this method. Very fun). From that point, simply follow the normal ST rotation. If your beacon dies, drop another before attacking and the mob will move on to the new beacon. The healing from salvation will be more than enough to keep you alive, and again if you are in trouble use your spot healing/shields. As the case with shaman always is, the ST rotation can be a pain in the ***, but the damage is worth it.

One note on the macros. I'm sure you all noticed I have my vengeances macro'd right into my abilities. I am aware this is a big mana drain, but for the purpose of leveling it simply makes life easier and really isn't much of a problem at all. Feel free to remove them if you don't like them!

I hope some people have fun with this spec! I know I am. Please leave constructive comments and criticism.

Soulwalker

cool im currently using the defiler/cab for tyrany spam but i do love going hulk smash on mobs

Quote Originally Posted by Tarna2929 View Post
    One note on the macros. I'm sure you all noticed I have my vengeances macro'd right into my abilities. I am aware this is a big mana drain, but for the purpose of leveling it simply makes life easier and really isn't much of a problem at all. Feel free to remove them if you don't like them!
    Have you tried with "cast [notactive] Vengeance of the Winter Storm" ? It works with abilities like the cabalist Obliterate, which is also a toggle skill.
    That way it should only cast the Vengeance buff if it's not already active and so you will save mana and be able to use another damage ability instead of recasting Vengeance every xx second.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

Soulwalker

Hi !
    Since my lvl 51 (currently 54) i use a very similar build :
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#U8lsi/l9lai9aaGy/n

(more DPS and less survival talents in the chaman tree)
    and it's a real pleasure !

Quote Originally Posted by TriX View Post
    Have you tried with "cast [notactive] Vengeance of the Winter Storm" ? It works with abilities like the cabalist Obliterate, which is also a toggle skill.
    great ! i'm gonna try it !

Telaran

K, well I'm brand spanking new to macros, but I made a separate one as the 'opening pull', with Rage of the North, Marrow Harvest and Siphon Health--I guess just because the recasting of Siphon Health and ROTN were screwing with my flow, though I suppose your way is better. Also, in the first single target macro, Vengeance of the Winter Storm keeps recasting itself, even with [notactive] in place.

Also, was wondering about a healing macro. I tried to make a quickheal that looked like this

#show Foul Growth
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Foul Growth
    cast @self Loathsome Restoration

Needless to say, it doesn't work. My hope was to get the burst heal from at least one stack of Foul Growth, but Loathsome Restoration never casts. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by TriX View Post
    That way it should only cast the Vengeance buff if it's not already active and so you will save mana and be able to use another damage ability instead of recasting Vengeance every xx second.
    Actually I have never heard of that macro language before, I will be sure to try it! Thanks.

However, since the vengeances do not trigger GCD's, it's not actually a dps loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gable View Post
    K, well I'm brand spanking new to macros, but I made a separate one as the 'opening pull', with Rage of the North, Marrow Harvest and Siphon Health--I guess just because the recasting of Siphon Health and ROTN were screwing with my flow, though I suppose your way is better. Also, in the first single target macro, Vengeance of the Winter Storm keeps recasting itself, even with [notactive] in place.

Also, was wondering about a healing macro. I tried to make a quickheal that looked like this

#show Foul Growth
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Foul Growth

Needless to say, it doesn't work. My hope was to get the burst heal from at least one stack of Foul Growth, but Loathsome Restoration never casts. What am I missing here?
    I think the reason you are having this problem is that you need to spam the macros the first few times they are used. Keep in mind that macro's are not an exact science, and you will always get better results from keeping abilities separate on your bar. However, due to the sheer number of relevant abilities for each soul, most people just use macro's for sanity's sake.

So when you start the pull with a macro, make sure you hit it until you see the abilities go off. For example, when pulling with vitality, it will trigger a vengeance and then cast Siphon (assuming your target is out of melee ranged)

If you target is in melee ranged, you need to hit macro 2, which will first check to see if your single target vengeance is active, then check to see if frozen wrath is off cool down, then cast icy blow. This works because teh vengeance's both don't trigger a global cooldown and do have a short cooldown themselves, and frozen wrath has a 15 second cooldown.

This is why your healing macro does not work. When you trigger the macro, it looks at the highest ability in the macro that is off cooldown and casts that ability. So with that macro, you will just cast foul growth over and over.

For that particular issue, I have Foul Growth bound to s-2, and loathsome restoration s-3. This way I can easily spot heal my beacon without moving my fingers too much.

I also have this macro for self healing

#show Loathsome Restoration
    suppressmacrofailures

I hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaias26 View Post
    Hi !
    Since my lvl 51 (currently 54) i use a very similar build :
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#U8lsi/l9lai9aaGy/n

(more DPS and less survival talents in the chaman tree)
    and it's a real pleasure !
    Yea, as you see, the 3rd soul is really up for debate. I found however that at higher levels mobs are just hitting too hard, so I want those extra heals from Salvation.

Personally, I find the points in Pattern of Violence Favored of the Valnir to be not very valuable, as mobs tend to be dead before those point become relevant. Obviously if the spec gets ported into a dungeon/raid spec, they'll be 100% necessary.

Telaran

Thanks for the reply. Loving this build, and your guide has made it much easier to jump into SL after being away for a while. Also, after so many years of MMOing, you finally got me to use macros! Now I just need to find some heal/dps builds for pvp and dungeons and I'll be all set. This solo build is invaluable though!

Thanks again

Telaran

the [notactive] part does not seem to work for vengeance.
    i guess they dont consider it a toggle on or off?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawntreader View Post
    the [notactive] part does not seem to work for vengeance.
    i guess they dont consider it a toggle on or off?
    Indeed they are not toggles. Just use them manually IMO

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gable View Post

#show Foul Growth
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @self Foul Growth

It doesn't work because neither ability has a cooldown, and you can only use one ability per press of the macro. So, it will cast Foul Growth only -- UNLESS -- you're moving.

The way macros work is that they attempt to use each ability in the "list". If the ability is on cooldown, or doesn't meet the requirements then it will not trigger, and the macro attempts the next command / ability in the list. For example, if you have a macro like:

Cast Marrow Harvest
    Cast Siphon Vitality

It will cast Marrow Harvest on your target, then Siphon Vitality. Not because Marrow Harvest is on CD, but because Marrow Harvest cannot be cast on the same target that is already debuffed with Marrow Harvest. However, if you use this macro once, then switch to a new target, it will re-cast Marrow Harvest on the new target.

Now, for your macro, since Foul Growth and Loathsome Restoration have neither cooldown or requirement, it will never stop casting Foul Growth. Unless --- you are moving. If you are moving, then you cannot use a spell with a cast time, and so it will skip Foul Growth (with macro lag, having attempted to use the spell) and cast Loathsome Restoration.
    Last edited by Patchkid; 11-28-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Soulwalker

omg i just found my leveling build, love it.. Thanks alot!

Plane Touched

This build is awesome, but any suggestions for soul points from 58-60? And if any abilities are added from those levels?

Have you thought of using this?

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#UmyF90/lkaliaB5lh0/mq

Symbol of the Torch on your beacon will block substantial amounts of damage, and the little damage shield you get from sign of wrath is free aoe damage. With Husk of Indifference and Symbol of the Torch you should almost never need to actually worry about even needing healing, and you have glacial shield to layer onto symbol for the odd times your beacon dies and you need to recast it (it takes time to transfer enough threat to force a npc target switch.)

Also the symbol sticks around from summon to summon, so when you unsummon it and then resummon it the timer for the symbol (and burnout) will still be there, which is handy for popping it in front of a bunch of mobs at once.

also, Tenebrous Distortion leaves a 5% non-physical damage resistance debuff for 30 seconds on everything (even after harvest marrow explodes) which ought to be a 5% boost for vengeances, etc.

I took Shaman up higher to get glacial strike, because it speeds everything up.

I am going out to try this now. I am at 55 so i dont have points in purifier yet for the damage shield, but the symbol alone is all you need really, the damage is just gravy.

i actually had 2-4 spare points left over that i didnt know what to do with, so guess you could either stuck them in the interrupt in shaman and put the rest in defiler, or beef up harvest marrow and foul growth with change is good.

Rift Disciple

I'm currently level 57 and tried this build. (Thanks for posting such a great guide BTW).

1st impressions -

1) Single Target is strong and fun.
    2) Multiple targets - I felt weak. In fact, in 2 fights against 2 even level mobs, I died on the first and ran for my life on the 2nd. Once that BOD goes down, I felt very squishy.

On this last point - I am sure that with more practice of your rotation, and tweaking the rotation I could get to where I could take 2 down - but I would be afraid to try any more than that.

Fair to say this is pretty much a single target build?

Anyway its a fun change. I am not sure its an improvement over my druid build though due to the aoe weakness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast