[Current testing shows some Inquisitor specs with the right gear will pull ahead of melee builds]
My previous guides can be found:
Why Bring Inquisitor?
- 7% additional magic damage debuff provided by Soul Drain (stacks with all others EXCEPT Censure and Neddra's Torture (3%)
- AoE DPS is only slightly below an SC, but we provided ^^ to increase SC and others in raid (Should we have a Cabalist spec setup, our AoE is immense)
- It's another cleric, capable of other roles if the need should arise
Crit Rating: stack until you reach a *recommended* 50% raid buffed. This should provide you with maximum Corporal Punishment uptime (you can go higher without feeling a detriment, so I recommend going for the soft cap of 45% (which is counted before buffs, so basically just gear))
Intelligence: provides 1 crit rating per and .26 sp
Focus: Raid 1 cap is ~220, Raid 2 is ~320
Spell Power: Begin stacking after youíve reached the recommended crit ratio
Wisdom: increasess mana regeneration by .33 and spell power by .76 per
Corporal Punishment and Crit
Why shoot for 50% crit?
- Maximizing Corporal Punishment (15% Life and Death damage increase) uptime.
But I read on another thread, you only need 33.3% factoring in raid buffs to do this?
- On paper it works. However, Corporal Punishment only has a duration of 5 seconds, and can proc over itself, so it doesn't always last the full 5 seconds from the previous duration, making the calculations hard.
- Example: Duration 1:46 (106 seconds), I had 25 Corporal Punishment procs (duration 5seconds, 5x25 = 125seconds) more than the duration of the actual fight, and yet it did NOT have 100% uptime.
So why is 50% the magic number?
- Given the duration of 5 seconds, you have the ability to get off 1 Bolt of Depravity or 3 Bolt of Justice (in a perfect world). 50% crit allows you, in theory, to crit every 1 of 2 hits. Because CP can overwrite itself the only way to get as close to 100% uptime as possible would be to force it to keep refreshing.
- It is impossible to crit 100%. 50% will allow you to crit as often as possible, maintaining a higher >usable< uptime, without gimping your spellpower.
Armor and Recommended Usage
Armor of Awakening: increases spell damage by 5%, critical hit rating by 5%, mana regeneration by 10%, and increases damage taken by the cleric by 5%
Recommended: All PvE circumstances unless it runs the risk of death.
Armor of Devotion: increases Spell Power and Spell Crit by 42
Recommended: PvP or when an increased chance of death from mechanic is forseen
Armor of Treachery: increases armor by 215 and Endurance by 50
Recommended: Tank or when an increased chance of death from mechanics is forseen
The Original 51/10/5 inq/sent/ward
- Maximizes spell power bonus on Vex and Sanction Heretic (total of 65%)
- Provides minor off-healing via Healing Breath, Healing Spray, and Healing Current
- Allows for movement based DPS via Waterjet
- Will maintain the highest consistent single-target inquisitor DPS
- AoE dps is less than that of some hybrids, specifically where Cabalist is concerned
The Criticar 46/10/10 Inq/sent/sham
- Provides 5% melee critical, which effects Soul Drain
- Maintains highest single-target DPS with high crit and <1500 sp in raid.
- Scales the best early on out of all other builds ( holds about 1000dps on dummy w/o magic debuffs ), falls behind when SP starts to reach higher levels
- Provides an extra 20% bonus critical strike damage (totaling 60%)
- More reliant on critical hits to maintain its damage output due to the spellpower loss on Vex and Sanction Heretic
- Less off-heals than the top build
- No ability that allows for DPS while moving
- AoE is the same as the first build
Melee inquisitor 40/21/5 Inq/Sham/Ward
- No real benefit except for playing around with. Still does good DPS but is no longer top.
- Requires the Inquisitor to be in melee ranged to be effective
The Offhealer 44/12/10 Inq/Justi/Sent
- Provides nice offhealing via Justicar soul
- Stacks Conviction using BoJ
- Can provide large passive AoE healing using Soul Drain / CoO
- Loses about ~200 DPS from other Inq specs
DPS Rotation and Tips
Single Target Rotation:
[if in raid] Soul Drain (maintain this debuff at all times if you're raiding)
BoJ spam, use Fanaticism + SH (if you're nto 51pt Inq, use Fanaticism with BoD)
[If 51pt] Use Nysyrís Rebuke on cooldown
[If Melee inquisitor] Be in melee range, use the macro provided below
- Make sure you are using Salvation, Cavalier, Mien of Honor
- Doctrine of Loyalty for quick AoE heals, stacking Conviction using BoJ spam
- Use L&D procs as they come up, then return to normal rotation
Fanaticism + Soul Drain
Will targets live long enough to dot? If yes then multi-target Vex, if no then go to next stepÖ
Is Soul Drain up? If yes, cast.
If not, use Circle of Oblivion.
Otherwise, go Cabalist.
Tips + Macros
- Only use Fanaticism with BoD or Soul Drain if you are <51pts. Use Fanaticism with Sanction Heretic and SD if you are 51pt build. They receive the highest benefit.
- Make use of Waterjet/LV while moving, or if casting BoJ/BoD would force you to wait before refreshing DoTs
- If at all possible, reapply DoTs when Corporal Punishment is up. CP's 15% damage boost only benefits spells cast while it is active, it does not passively effect DoTs already on the target.
Melee inquisitor Macro
#show Sanction Heretic
Cast Sanction Heretic
Cast Lightning Hammer
Cast Bolt of judgment
Using this macro will require you to be in Melee range at all times, cast Vex separately and manually use BoD procs. Otherwise, this macro is spammable. The difference in DPS using a 1h vs a 2h is minimal at best.
Best in Slot Gear List
- This items listed first are based on Focus and maintaing ideal Crit Ratio, not specific EP values.
- Because it is important to maintain Focus cap and shoot for the ideal Crit Ratio prior to stacking SP, it is impossible to rate gear purely on an EP basis, thus outside of the ones I've listed as -best in slot-, it will be up to the indivdual to rate their current gear with any given upgrade according to those two factors.
- If you can upgrade a piece of gear that allows you to maintain your Focus cap, and maintains at least a 1sp to 2sc ratio, then it is an upgrade.
- I.E. 4sp vs 9sc, the piece with sc outweighs the piece with sp. 10sp vs 17sc, the sp outweighs sc.
Sokanon's Inquisitor BiS
^^^^ NOT UPDATED for HAMMERKNELL
We received yet another buff, but are still behind the melee. Further raid testing will reveal just how far the gap has closed, if any.
Hope you enjoyed the write-up and you can look forward to future updates! Keep fighting for Inquisitor DPS!