+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [Guide to Healing] The 3x/3x/x builds

RIFT Guide Writer

Default [Guide to Healing] The 3x/3x/x builds

Authorís Notes
    First off, this is a huge undertaking and I apologize ahead of time for the lengthy post. However, I find that many of the builds people suggest are not posted in any guides section, and people have so many preferences/arguments for one way or another, that I figured the best way to write this guide, was to include them all (at least the popular ones I could find) and let the reader decide which suits them best.

Similar to my Inquisitor guide, I will point out the Pros and Cons of each build. Some of these points will be referenced in posts below this original thread, most of it concerning data based on the numbers/ratios/capabilities of spells/abilities.

With these notes in mind, I hope you find my post useful and informative despite these terms. I will also try to update this guide concerning specific uses where I can.

Why These Builds?
    • They offer a great deal of versatility
    • They each provide similar but differing playstyles
    • They each have their own pros/cons which leaves it up to the player to decide which is best
    • If you use a 33/33 or 34/32 build, picking up Templar for the third soul offers a little more mobility

Stat Priority

Each build will favor its own stat priority, but I will do my best to give a worthwhile overview.
    Spell Power- Useful for all healing spells. Favors Purifer builds with Ancestral Flame.
    Crit Rating- Useful for all builds. Favors builds with Sentinel (Serendipity) or Warden (Overflow).
    Wisdom- 1 : .033mp10 / .76sp
    Intelligence- Usable in all builds, favoring none.

The Builds

34/32 Puri/Sent
    Pros
    • Excellent tank healing
    • It's use of Restorative Flame scales extremely well with Spellpower
    • Provides a variety of cooldowns to use for emergency situations
    • Benefits from crit as well due to -Serendipity-, every critical heal lowers the cast time of the next by 1.5sec
    • Offers a battle rez
    • AoE heals using overheal from Surging Flames and Healing Communion
    • AoE healing provides a 5% damage reduction for 6seconds for those effected
    • Healing Flare and Healing Breath provide heals that can be applied on the move, HF being spammable

Cons
    • No mana return like Cascade provided by Warden, or melee builds
    • AoE heal spam is mana intensive
    • Slightly less mobility than a Warden build

33/33 Puri/Sent
    Pros
    • Healing Invocation now applies a HoT based on 30% of the healing done
    • All other pros of the 34/32 Puri/Sent with the following exceptions (see Cons):

Cons
    • Less moblility than 34/32 No longer has Healing Flare. Only movement heal is Healing Breath.
    • Loses out on 2% mana reduction on healing spells
    • AoE heals no longer provide 5% reduced damage taken over X seconds
    • Suffers from the same Cons as 34/32 Puri/Sent

34/32 Sent/Puri
    Pros
    • Healing Invocation now becomes the main source heal, providing a 30% HoT based on amount healed
    • Provides an extra cooldown the 34/32 puri/sent didn't have, Caregiver's Blessing
    • All of the pros of the 34/32 Puri/Sent with the following exceptions (see Cons)

Cons
    • Because of talents, Restorative Flame heals for 5% less and no longer applies a SP based shield to the target, making Healing Invocation your main heal
    • No Healing Flare. Only movement spell is Healing Breath
    • Loses a total of 4% mana cost reduction to healing spells
    • Suffers from the cons of the 34/32 Puri/Sent

33/33 Puri/Ward
    Pros
    • Provides more consistent less bursty AoE healing via Healing Flood (513 health over 12seconds to 5 party/raid members) , and appropriate use of Ripple
    • 2min CD Cascade: Returns 15% of the casters base mana over 3sec
    • [Healing Breath] instant cast heal, 8sec cd
    • Consistent tank-healing provided by Healing Current, Healing Spray, Soothing Stream
    • Provides some of the stronger Purifier cooldowns as well as its own
    • Benefits about equally from SP or Crit (Overflow talent for crit)
    • More mobility than Sent/Puri build

Cons
    • The upfront healing is less than a Sentinel build, but it can sustain high HPS
    • Gives up some strong cooldowns for consistent healing
    • No battle rez
    • Burst AoE can be hard to deal with
    • No AoE cleanse
    • No damage reduction when using AoE spells

32/32/2 Ward/Sent/Puri
    Pros
    • 10min Battle Rez
    • Benefits from some of the Sentinel's stronger cooldowns
    • Provides consistent AoE healing and provides better burst AoE healing with Healing Communion
    • Consistent single-target healing provided by Healing Current, Healing Spray, Soothing Stream
    • 2min CD Cascade: Returns 15% of the casters base mana over 3sec
    • Empowering Light - AoE cleanse
    • Benefits even more from crit due to Overflow and Serendipity
    • AoE heals provide 5% damage reduction
    • Talents from Sentinel tree allow the HPS to be higher than Puri/Ward
    • More mobility than a Sent/Puri build

Cons
    • Sacrifices cooldowns from Puri build for the consistency of Warden
    • Has to heal more upfront than a build with Puri due to loss of RF/AF synergy and Ward of the Ancients, so it can be slightly more mana intensive

Tips and Hints
    • Every build has its own pros and cons, choose what works best for you or your environment
    • Donít play something you donít like playing. There are some people who can do things they hate excellently, however most people tend to make more mistakes if they are doing something they donít like
    • Adapt to the build. If you do a lot of moving, you will most likely favor Warden based builds. If you tend to find your place and stand still, youíll favor Puri/Sent builds.
    • There is no right or wrong way to heal. I personally will argue for specific encounters that there are more efficient/effective ways to heal, but in the end, if it gets the job done, it gets the job done.
    • Be aware of your cooldowns at all times and any debuffs they play place on the target. A healer is only made stronger by his cooldowns, know when to use them.
    • If you use a Warden build, be sure to keep your HoTs up (Soothing Stream, Healing Current, Healing Spray) up on your main target at all times, filling the big heal intervals with Healing Invocation or Restorative Flame

Useful Macros

There are plenty of ways to build macros. I am simply offering some common ones you may see, but you can add/remove/edit anything you wish to customize it for your preference.

Purifier/Sent builds:
    #show Touch the Light
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Touch the Light
    cast Flashover
    cast Healing Invocation / Restorative Flame (or Healing Communion / Divine Call for AoE)

#show Touch the Light
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Touch the Light
    cast Flashover
    cast Latent Blaze

Purifier/Warden builds:
    #show Flashover
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flashover
    cast Tidal Surge
    cast Restorative Flame

#show Latent Blaze
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flashover
    cast Latent Blaze

Sent/Warden builds:
    #show Touch the Light
    suppressmacrofailures
    Cast Touch the Light
    Cast Tidal Surge
    Cast Healing Invocation (or Healing Communion / Divine call for AoE)

Simple Mouseover macros:
    #show spellname
    Cast @mouseover spellname

Final Notes
    • This post does not encompass all of the possibilities for these builds, but I hope this has provided enough information to allow any player, new or old, to make informed decisions on what spec to use/how they should heal, etc
    • These builds in no way represent anything final. They only offer some of the more common variations you will find. Alter the builds as you see fit, as that is what the purpose of these are.
    • For data concerning specific spells/ability uses, please refer to the post below

I hope you all have enjoyed this writeup.
    Last edited by Sokanon; 05-21-2011 at 11:01 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Fiery vs. Caregiverís:
    Caregiver's shields for 337 at Rank 7.

337 x 3 = 1011

Unbuffed Non crit RF: 1837
    Unbuffed Crit RF: 3131

3131-1837= 1294

One crit heal is worth more than ALL the shields Caregiver's could apply UNLESS you go more points into Caregiver's.

Fiery Blessing > Caregiver's in this case. The more buffs you have (i.e. raid environment) the more your crit heals are going to do, making the difference between Cg's shields and FB greater.

Buffed (Wisdom of the Era) Non crit RF: 1878
    Buffed (Wisdom of the Era) Crit RF: 3204

3204 - 1878 = 1326

Unless you spend more than 1 point in Caregiver's, 1 crit will outweigh ALL of the shields it puts up. However, given the fact it places shields ONLY when the target is healed by the Cleric, the only spell that would make Caregiver's useful would be Healing Flare, so you can stack shields instantly and move at the same time. However, many people argue against HF... personally I like it.

Unbuffed Healing Flare: 515
    Unbuffed crit Healing Flare: 878

Take a look

The spell only gets better with buffs, and with crits it makes it extremely nice for a spell that can be casted while moving.

Restorative Flame vs. Healing Invocation:

I also spend 1 point into HI simply to have a larger heal when using TtL + Flashover combo. However, the higher your SP, the more effective RF becomes over HI.

HI has a baseline of 3-400hp more than RF correct? Let's assume 1200 spellpower for both. Let's assume RF's baseline is 2000, making HI's 2350 (splitting the difference between 300 and 400).

RF + Ancestral shield = 2000+(1200*.60) = 2000+ 720 = 2720 total healing
    HI + HoT = 2350+(2350*.30) =2350 + 705 = 3055 total healing. So on paper, HI is better, but consider this:

Lasting Invocation is an 8second duration, and only heals for 30% of the amount actually healed (which does NOT count overhealing). I'm going to assume the HoT will tick once every 2 seconds (making it 176.5hp per tick).

If you're in a situation where HI is being spammed, you will get LESS effective healing than RF spam.

HI = 3second cast (you DO have Serendipity, but this will actually HURT you when considering your HoT ticks because you refresh them faster, a loss in healing)

8 second duration allows for 2 full casts non-Serendipity, however the HoT refreshes. If you cast HI, apply the HoT, it will tick ONCE for a total of [2350+176.5] = 2526hp, before your second cast lands.

If you were to time it out and allow for 2 casts (which is rough because when it comes to spamming large heals, you don't have time to do this usually)
    [2350 + (176.5*2)] = 2703... you're still slightly under RF spam.

If HI's LI were to tick every second for 8 seconds:
    705/8=88.125 * 3 = 264.375, offering you a total of 2350 + 264.375 = 2614.375, still putting you under RF spam at 1200 sp.

RF spam is clearly superior when higher amount of spellpower (essentially geared and raid buffed) are considered, and keep in mind, if HI does goes into overhealing, that amount does not count toward the 30% healing worth of LI.

Now for inbetween, applying HI for the Hot and THEN RF spamming, is the most effective way to do things, if you go that far into Sentinel.

RIFT Guide Writer

Saving this.

Plane Walker

I am a little concerned about your sent . warden build.

1. No usable deluge.
    2. Choosing mana skill from sent instead of AoE healing buffs.
    3. Orbs are great in 51 warden, but in 3x/3x you will be relying a lot more on touch of light / healers haste from emergency non tank heals.
    4. Choosing purifier shield instead of templar break free is not always the best, and it should at least be mentioned.

This is what I am currently running, and it has been working very well,.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...otco.xE00Vt0az

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyll View Post
    I am a little concerned about your sent . warden build.

1. No usable deluge.
    2. Choosing mana skill from sent instead of AoE healing buffs.
    3. Orbs are great in 51 warden, but in 3x/3x you will be relying a lot more on touch of light / healers haste from emergency non tank heals.
    4. Choosing purifier shield instead of templar break free is not always the best, and it should at least be mentioned.

This is what I am currently running, and it has been working very well,.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...otco.xE00Vt0az
    Again, I made clear that all of the possibilties are NOT available, that would be simply wayyy too long. I am just offering an overview for the most common builds I found when searching the forums. I personally don't use Ward/Sent builds, so it was just the builds I found to compile. Your post is more than welcome though as an additive, I'll make a mention of your build when I edit my post

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Sokanon View Post
    Again, I made clear that all of the possibilties are NOT available, that would be simply wayyy too long. I am just offering an overview for the most common builds I found when searching the forums. I personally don't use Ward/Sent builds, so it was just the builds I found to compile. Your post is more than welcome though as an additive, I'll make a mention of your build when I edit my post
    TY, wasn't trying to be mean, I just figured you probably weren't as familiar with sent/warden.

The templar soul is also good for the staying mobile part...
    Last edited by Ellyll; 05-16-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Plane Walker

Also, max rank deluge hits well with 6 hots up, and only takes 68 mana, compared to 101 for HI.

My tank rotation goes Healing Spray, Healing Current, Soothing Stream, Deluge (If needed), HI (If needed even after Deluge)

SS will stay stacked at 4 with just one refresh per round, so you will always have 6 HoT's up for Deluge.

Even if you have to go a full cycle with no Serendipity (which is rare), you will only be at 10/12 seconds, so you will also have time for a cleanse.

In 51 warden I go w/o Healing Spray, as it isn't that great, but I find it fits into this build well.

Shadowlander

Sakanon, I think you've hit most of these concepts dead on, this is a good thread for any cleric to read. I'd like to offer a couple of tips myself though.

#1: In the 3x/3x/0 builds, I highly recommend taking the PVP soul Templar for the snare/root break. So many bosses have a long stun or turn you into a crystal or other silly stuff and this will break you out of it.

#2: For the X/Puri builds: Flashover works for Latent blaze, giving you a guaranteed crit when the target gets to 30% life. On top of that, for the Puri/Sent builds, that crit Latent Blaze will proc serendipity, ensuring that whatever is going wrong will have that much extra help.

#3: Searing Transfusion is 25% of the CLERICS HP, not targets. (I run about 5,000HP, my tanks run twice that at least). Just a minor typo in your original post.

Other than that, I like the post! Thanks!

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Binestar View Post
    Sakanon, I think you've hit most of these concepts dead on, this is a good thread for any cleric to read. I'd like to offer a couple of tips myself though.

#1: In the 3x/3x/0 builds, I highly recommend taking the PVP soul Templar for the snare/root break. So many bosses have a long stun or turn you into a crystal or other silly stuff and this will break you out of it.

#2: For the X/Puri builds: Flashover works for Latent blaze, giving you a guaranteed crit when the target gets to 30% life. On top of that, for the Puri/Sent builds, that crit Latent Blaze will proc serendipity, ensuring that whatever is going wrong will have that much extra help.

#3: Searing Transfusion is 25% of the CLERICS HP, not targets. (I run about 5,000HP, my tanks run twice that at least). Just a minor typo in your original post.

Other than that, I like the post! Thanks!
    Fixed the edit, thanks for the catch! Added in the Templar into the Why These Builds area, and the Flashover / Latent Blaze to the macro area. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Sokanon View Post
    Authorís Notes

Why These Builds?
    • If you use a 33/33 or 34/32 build, picking up Templar for the third soul offers a little more mobility
    Lovely, but, where is that pesky Templar soul ?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Arkulin View Post
    Lovely, but, where is that pesky Templar soul ?
    You buy it with 2500 favor from the PvP vendor .

Telaran

I see alot of threads where HI is given the short end of the stick in spam situations with a lot of maths to support said position. What everyone fails to do is extrapolate the same position on RF spam, those shields are preventing damage, making your next RF heal land for significantly less. My bet is, that at the end of the day, those 2 factors (HoT vs Shield) make the difference between HI spam and RF spam a wash.

The best case scenario would be achieved by weaving HI and RF, however the spend to maximize those two spells could be argued to exceed the gains lost by that choice.

Personally I love the 3x/3x Sent/Puri builds because of the cooldowns the spec brings. It makes it damn hard for you to lose your tank and lets be honest, a dead tank is a wipe.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlark View Post
    I see alot of threads where HI is given the short end of the stick in spam situations with a lot of maths to support said position. What everyone fails to do is extrapolate the same position on RF spam, those shields are preventing damage, making your next RF heal land for significantly less. My bet is, that at the end of the day, those 2 factors (HoT vs Shield) make the difference between HI spam and RF spam a wash.

The best case scenario would be achieved by weaving HI and RF, however the spend to maximize those two spells could be argued to exceed the gains lost by that choice.

Personally I love the 3x/3x Sent/Puri builds because of the cooldowns the spec brings. It makes it damn hard for you to lose your tank and lets be honest, a dead tank is a wipe.
    Can someone explain the rotation in sent/puri I tried that spec and I found it hard to heal others that took dmg, if i started to heal others then they tank would get low and at least 1 dps would die.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlark View Post

If a shield is up, it adds effective HP over target's HP cap. If a shield isn't up, target's hp = target's HP cap.

Thus with RF spam, target's HP = target's HP cap + .6 caster's spell power.

With HI, target never exceeds HP cap.

Thus, you get the situation where: HI and RF heal for X base amount + .3x/6 * ticks between cast or .6Z

So when target's damage < X; RF = HI + .6Z

When damage > X; the effectiveness of RF/HI depends on which is greater; .3x/6 * ticks or .6Z

Everytime you top off a tank, RF is a better spell, every time .3x/6 * ticks > .6Z HI is a better spell. That relationship depends entirely on CRIT RATE (effects X) and casting frequency.

TL;DR

If the tank live you're doing it right.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by InfusionOfFear View Post
    Can someone explain the rotation in sent/puri I tried that spec and I found it hard to heal others that took dmg, if i started to heal others then they tank would get low and at least 1 dps would die.
    - Try to keep Latent Blaze up on at least 2 targets, 3 if you're comfortable.
    - Make sure the tank has Surging Flames on him, any group damage that doesn't need to be immediately addressed can be fixed by maintaining heals on the tank and letting Surging Flames do AoE healing
    - Pre-emptively cast Ward of the Ancestors before a pull or predictable damage
    - Use Divine Call or Touch the Light + Flashover + Healing communion for really quick group topoffs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast