+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canít stop running

Soulwalker

Default Canít stop running

I just started the game and my character was running.
    Not because of anything I have done.
    WTF is going on? It stopped me playing and I couldnít even exit the game.
    If this is someoneís idea of a joke, Iím not laughing.
    How do I stop the character running?
    BTW Itis near the central porticulum in Tempest Bay, so not enemy action.
    Thanks in advance
    Revesti

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stevf48 View Post
    I just started the game and my character was running.
    Not because of anything I have done.
    WTF is going on? It stopped me playing and I couldn’t even exit the game.
    If this is someone’s idea of a joke, I’m not laughing.
    How do I stop the character running?
    BTW Itis near the central porticulum in Tempest Bay, so not enemy action.
    Thanks in advance
    Revesti
    Hey Steve, telling from your previous posts, you are quite new.
    First of all. Try to not open a help call with accusations of being mistreated (even given eventual frustration) That just makes it harder to care.

I once had a mouse that was fine everywhere, but in the game swbf2(2005 - long time ago), my thumb button would make the camera flip to one side for no reason.

Chance that you have a malfuncion input device, constantly sending move commands/ refreshing autorun. Or you forgot to unplug a controller and now some magazine is pushing the thumb stick in a box nearby. etcpp

Many mmo's actually have mouse thumb buttons set as autorun toggle (like the NUM key)

If you could provide more informations like, when did it start to happen (game update, pc update) and if it suddenly happened or if it's a fresh game isntall that had it appear,
    You may get a respond from Mobi and crew.
    Last edited by Shas; 01-17-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hey Steve, telling from your previous posts, you are quite new.
    First of all. Try to not open a help call with accusations of being mistreated (even given eventual frustration) That just makes it harder to care.

I once had a mouse that was fine everywhere, but in the game swbf2(2005 - long time ago), my thumb button would make the camera flip to one side for no reason.

Chance that you have a malfuncion input device, constantly sending move commands/ refreshing autorun. Or you forgot to unplug a controller and now some magazine is pushing the thumb stick in a box nearby. etcpp

Many mmo's actually have mouse thumb buttons set as autorun toggle (like the NUM key)

If you could provide more informations like, when did it start to happen (game update, pc update) and if it suddenly happened or if it's a fresh game isntall that had it appear,
    You may get a respond from Mobi and crew.
    I bought a new mouse a month ago, because the game didnít react properly, but I think that problem was caused by Windows, not the mouse.
    The problem occurred yesterday, not hing had changed since I played the previous day. My comment was based on a previous occasion when this happened, because someone threw a snowball or similar and my character ran around out of control for a few seconds. I am too old to appreciate puerile pranks.
    Yesterday I couldnít stop the character running, which meant that I could do nothing in the game. Not even exit, or change characters.
    Thanks for your reply

is it working now?
    did you check if you numlock key (default keybinding for auto run) was sticky in some way?
    did you check your W and up arrow keys too?
    do you have sticky keys (windows setting) switched on?

The main reason that this occurs is because of the following below: mind you, I am a complete computer spazz, but this method has helped others who had similar problems.

It is called Keyboard overflow or something, which means that the keystroke is still stuck in memory and will not stop, so the thing you can do is to HOLD DOWN the key in the way the character is moving. Like WASD or Your ARROW keys, whatever is the key-bind. You hold that down for several seconds, then let it go, then your toon should return to normal.

I hope I am addressing your issue properly. Let me know if that works.
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raider for life!"

Rift Disciple

You say you can't even exit the game; which I assume means other keys such as ESC refuse operation.

Sticky keys could be an issue, for sure.
    Overflow/stack could be another issue.
    Bad driver installation or faulty drivers...
    Macro keys from peripherals causing interference... (such as on a logitech g-series keyboard. It's very easy to hit them by accident when aiming for esc, ~, tab, etc)
    Other peripherals in general (such as an xbox controller) could potentially be a culprit...
    Keyboard could just do with a thorough cleaning.

In the instance that keys do still work, but you couldn't exit because the character moving cancels the logout:

Quote Originally Posted by Xethx View Post
    I've run into this issue several times in the past, though not with any real frequency... And typically instead of just running a single direction, I get locked into running in circles (such as holding down W+A).

The way I've fixed the problem in the past:

Take note of which way yer character is moving
    Go into your key bindings, and unbind the associated movement keys for that direction - Save
    After exiting the menu, hit those now unbound movement keys (This makes me stop moving).
    Go back into key bindings, and rebind your movement keys - Save

After that, my problems solved.

Soulwalker

Default Now working

The next time I played the problem had gone.

Telaran

Default No thx for all the mates ...

.. who tried to help? Shame on you. At least you gave an feedback.
    Last edited by Ascac; 01-20-2021 at 05:09 AM.

Telaran

I have the same problem from time to time. When I run somewhere and do something, sometimes it glitches and my character is running towards or backwards, sometimes even sideways. Even though my laptop is quite new, it is still happening.

I know how to stop it, just press the key again. If it starts running forward by itself, I press W again and it stops. I don't mind, because I'm already used to it. In the beginning few times I got frustrated when it happened during VP jumping puzzle being quite far in, and few times in raids which led my character to death.

But I'm so used to it right now, that I don't even try to find the way how to stop it Just automatically press that button again and it stops.
    Last edited by Wolfexin; 01-21-2021 at 07:27 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfexin View Post
    I have the same problem from time to time. When I run somewhere and do something, sometimes it glitches and my character is running towards or backwards, sometimes even sideways. Even though my laptop is quite new, it is still happening.

I know how to stop it, just press the key again. If it starts running forward by itself, I press W again and it stops. I don't mind, because I'm already used to it. In the beginning few times I got frustrated when it happened during VP jumping puzzle being quite far in, and few times in raids which led my character to death.

But I'm so used to it right now, that I don't even try to find the way how to stop it Just automatically press that button again and it stops.
    Man i feel you with the 'getting used to it'. Sounds like your laptops keyboard is cheak af

SL and Nmt i had a friend's alienware 2010 'laptop' and from 2013+ I permanently had the F, and Shift key breaking lose while windows background updated halved the framerate.
    MoM progression on 10 fps and buttons flying around.
    Astonishing what bs one can get used to.

tldr: Laptop keyboards, no matter the publishing brand, are insanely cheap crap.
    Last edited by Shas; 01-21-2021 at 08:59 AM.
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

+ Reply to Thread