+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Summerfest Pet Guide

Shadowlander

Default Summerfest Pet Guide

How to Obtain All Summerfest 2013 Pets

Disclaimer: The information in this guide is based off my own experience of obtaining all of the pets on two characters and may not be complete.

Contents

Preface

1) Rift Store Pets
    1.1) Badges & Bracelets
    1.2) Random Companion Adoption Box
    2) Rare Spawn Pets
    2.1) Spotted Snake
    2.2) Black Bunny
    2.3) Brown Rat
    2.4) Tamed Deepfang Hatchling
    2.5) Scoots
    2.6) Black Coyote
    2.7) Tabby Cat
    2.8) Mini Mordant
    2.9) White Squirrel
    2.10) Green Cobra
    2.11) Jewel Scarab
    3) Other Information
    3.1) Spawn Timer
    3.2) Theories
    Preface

After doing research on the summerfest pets for a couple of hours, I discovered that there was very little information known about them and yet, I knew that I wanted them all. I dedicated myself to hunting the pets and during the first week of summerfest, with about 22 hours of camping and 2 seasons of Doctor Who, I finally had them all.

I used the information I gained during this time and was able to capture 10 out of the 11 rare spawn pets for my alt within 8 hours and with very little camping.

Here is what I learned during my camping.

1) Rift Store Pets

The Rift Store and Summerfest NPC Aerlinsa have 5 possible pet purchases.

Pet NameSummerfest Pet Guide-merit-badge.jpgSummerfest Pet Guide-friendship-bracelet.jpgSummerfest Pet Guide-credit.jpg
    Snaggletooth5003360
    Sunset----720
    Starflare10003720
    Twiddle301--180
    Random Companion Adoption Box700--144

....Snaggletooth..............Sunset.................Starflare...............Twiddle.............
    Summerfest Pet Guide-summerfest-companion-previews.jpg

Notes

1)Random Companion Adoption Box: Contains one of the 11 rare spawn pets. Warning: You can receive a duplicate pet.

2)Twiddle: This is the exact same pet as Mini Mordant. You cannot collect both.

1.1) Badges and Bracelets

Name:  Merit Badge.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  1.4 KB Summerfest Merit Badge

If pets are your focus, you should not have any trouble obtaining enough of these through the scavenger hunts and dailies. However, if you plan to buy other summerfest items, you may need to farm a few extra.
    Farming Options
    1) Create Alts
    Every item you can buy is Bind to Account so farm dailies on your alts and have them buy some of your Summerfest items.
    -----------------------------------------------
    2) Invasion Events
    The exact details are not fully known but zone invasion events tend to give 10-15 badges per rift if they are on level with your character and an additional 20-25 when the final boss is defeated.
    3) Fishing
    Badges can be fished up from Summer Sunplant fishing nodes. Not the most efficient method as they come 1 at a time unless you have the Patron perk in which case you get 2.

Name:  Friendship Bracelet.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  1.4 KBSummerfest Friendship Bracelet

To obtain all pets, you need 6 Friendship Bracelets or an alt that doesn't care about having all of the pets. If you are below level 30, you will have to spend a VERY long time fishing in order to get all 6 bracelets. If you are between 30 and 50, you can get 4 bracelets from scavenger hunts then start fishing up the last 2.
    Ways to Get Summerfest Friendhip Bracelets

1) The Little Scavenger Hunt, Part 1
    2) The Little Scavenger Hunt, Part 2

3) The Great Scavenget Hunt, Part 1 (Requires level 30)
    4) The Great Scavenger Hunt, Part 2 (Requires level 30)

5) The Great Dusken Scavenger Hunt, Part 1 (Requires level 50)
    6) The Great Brevane Scavenger Hunt, Part 1 (Requires level 50)

7) Capture: Them All (Requires level 50)

8) Summer Sunfish Fishing Node (Very rare chance to fish one up.)

1.2) Random Companion Adoption Box

These boxes cost 700 Summerfest Merit Badges or 144 Credits and contain one of the 11 rare spawn pets, including Twiddle.

Important: If you plan to get all of the pets, do not buy the Twiddle companion from the store until you have collected all of the rest to prevent the chance of getting duplicates.

The Adoption Box can give you duplicate pets which you can either destroy or send to an alt. If you plan to use these boxes as a way to get pets, I recommend that you do so before you begin hunting. If you have 10/11 pets and are hoping for the last one, you will have a hard time finding it unless you have large amounts of expendable currency.

Pet's OwnedChance Of Getting Pet You Need
    0100%
    191%
    282%
    373%
    464%
    555%
    645%
    736%
    827%
    918%
    109%

2) Rare Spawn Pets

Every zone in the original world has 1 pet that is exclusive to it and can only be caught during Summerfest. In this section I will show you known locations, a picture, and a search route which can be completed (fairly) safely by anyone level 30+.

If a pet is near, you will see 2 things on your screen:

1) Summerfest Pet Guide-extra-button.jpg In your temporary ability bar.

2) Summerfest Pet Guide-quest.jpg In your quest tracker.

At this point, you must target the pet and click the temporary ability to capture it. They are small and move fast so targeting macros are recommended. As you can see, the distance indicator dot in the upper right corner is gray, not red, when you are close enough to capture.

Important Notes:
    1) All of the pets have a green nameplate unless they are captured.

2) The pets spawn in specific areas of a zone but only in one of those areas each spawn period.

3) The same pet can be caught multiple times for your alts. There is a cooldown on the capture ability but if you found the pet at the beginning of it's spawn period, you can catch it 3-4 times.

4) If another player is standing nearby with the same pet out that you are trying to capture, your targeting macro will always target the player's pet instead of targeting the wild one.

5) Everyone can capture the same pet. It despawns on a timer so let your zone and guild know!

Reminder: These locations are based off of my research and experience and may not be complete.

2.1) Spotted Snake

Details:

Pet Name: Spotted Snake
    Zone: Freemarch
    Macro: /tar Spotted Snake

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_223850.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-freemarch.jpg

2.2) Black Bunny

Details:

Pet Name: Black Bunny
    Zone: Silverwood
    Macro: /tar Black Bunny

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_230419.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-silverwood.jpg

2.3) Brown Rat

Details:

Pet Name: Brown Rat
    Zone: Stonefield
    Macro: /tar Brown Rat

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_231329.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-stonefield.jpg

(Note: Most likely there is another location not marked on this map.)

2.4) Tamed Deepfang Hatchling

Details:

Pet Name: Tamed Deepfang Hatchling
    Zone: Gloamwood
    Macro: /tar Tamed Deepfang

(Note: The pet is called Tamed Deepfang Hatchling but the capturable critter is just called Tamed Deepfang.)

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_232026.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-gloamwood.jpg

2.5) Scoots

Details:

Pet Name: Scoots
    Zone: Scarlet Gorge
    Macro: /tar Scoots

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_232808.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-scarletgorge.jpg

(Note: Most likely there is another spawn point but both of my characters caught him in the water to the north.)

2.6) Black Coyote

Details:

Pet Name: Black Coyote
    Zone: Scarwood Reach
    Macro: /tar Black Coyote

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_233848.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-scarwoodreach.jpg

2.7) Tabby Cat

Details:

Pet Name: Tabby Cat
    Zone: Moonshade Highlands
    Macro: /tar Tabby Cat

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_234606.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-moonshade.jpg

(Note: With a 60% or 90% mount, this round trip can be hard to make in 5 minutes since you have to use enemy porticulums. Faster mounts can probably make it without the porticulums.)

2.8) Mini Mordant

Details:

Pet Name: Twiddle
    Zone: Droughtlands
    Macro: /tar Mini Mordant

(Note: The pet's name is Twiddle and is the exact same one that can be bought for 300 badges but the capturable critter is called Mini Mordant.)

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-05_235721.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-droughtlandsmap.jpg

(Note: Use the Porticulums to make this route a lot faster.)

2.9) White Squirrel

Details:

Pet Name: White Squirrel
    Zone: Iron Pine Peak
    Macro: /tar White Squirrel

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-06_000456.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-ironpine-artifacts.jpg

(Note: One time the squirrel was on the western edge of the southern location. This area is densely populated by aggressive enemies so can be very hard for a lower level to capture.)

2.10) Green Cobra

Details:

Pet Name: Green Cobra
    Zone: Shimmersand
    Macro: /tar Green Cobra

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-06_001359.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-shimmersand-artifacts.jpg

(Note: This route can be tricky for low levels due to the high concentration of enemies.)

2.11) Jewel Scarab

Details:

Pet Name: Tats
    Zone: Stillmoor
    Macro: /tar Jewel Scarab

(Note: The pet is named Tats but the capturable critter is called Jewel Scarab.)

Image:

Summerfest Pet Guide-2013-08-06_002025.jpg

Summerfest Pet Guide-stillmoor-artifacts.jpg

(Note: At the northeast location, the critter can spawn just inside the ruined city which is extremely dangerous for lower levels. It can spawn just outside in the treed area which is much better. Be sure to jump off the cliff to the west to save running time.)

3) Other Information

3.1) Spawn Timer

There are lots of theories about the spawn timers of these pets. However, I can confirm without a doubt the following timer.

Time Between Despawn and Spawn: 1 Hour
    Time Available for Capture: 5 Minutes

Unfortunately the only way you will initially be able to know when to start your timer is by camping one of the pets. Put on the TV, grab a drink, choose a zone, then run laps between each of the spawn points. To be sure you don't miss the pet, make a complete loop in 5 minutes or less.

Once you find a pet, capture it, then watch it till it despawns. As soon as it despawns, that is the start of your timer. From that point on, you should be able to play normally and capture a pet or 2 every hour.

Example:

Time Despawned: 11:06 pm
    Next Spawn Time: 12:06 am
    Pet Will Despawn: 12:11 am
    Next Spawn: 1:11 am

Once you figure this out, you can make a chart to know every spawn time:

Pets Available:

6:46-6:51 am
    7:51-7:56 am
    8:56-9:01 am
    10:01-10:06 am
    11:06-11:11 am
    12:11-12:16 pm
    etc, etc.

(Note: These times are hypothetical and may not line up with the spawn timer on your shard.)

Anyone reading this from Shatterbone shard: My last sighting of a pet was 12:06 am on August 5 so you can extrapolate the spawn times from that.

Important Notes:
    1) If you are quick and a bit lucky, you will be able to capture pets in more than one zone during the 5 minute spawn time.

2) Any server maintenance or downtime will reset your spawn timer so you will have to camp again.
    3.2) Theories

My alt was able to capture 10/11 pets within 8 hours after I knew the spawn timers. It took me another 2 days to capture the Black Bunny. In addition, not every pet was found every hour. Possible Explanations:
    1) There are additional spawn locations I do not know about. (Very Likely)

2) Not every zone spawns a pet every hour but rather they alternate. (This is possible but I tend to think the first one is more likely.)

3) Killing critters does NOT speed up the respawn period.
    Regardless, once you get the timer down, there will for sure be a pet up at one of the marked locations during every spawn period.

Happy Hunting!
    Last edited by bushkanaka86; 08-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Default Thank you!

Thank you for this!
    Excellent job with so much info nicely tucked into one post.

I have found the black bunny and finally that white squirrel so far. Will try for a couple more with the help of the maps!

good job and thank you

This is excellent
    60 Defiant Rogue - Faeblight

Soulwalker

Great pet maps!

A note on green cobra in shimmersand.
    I'm very sure there must be another spawn point not marked on that map.
    I've spent a total of around 4 hours ( 2 hours x 2) running back and forth between those 2 spawns (<5 min round trips), without any green cobra spawn.

The same for scoots in scarlet gorge.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gundula View Post
    Great pet maps!

A note on green cobra in shimmersand.
    I'm very sure there must be another spawn point not marked on that map.
    I've spent a total of around 4 hours ( 2 hours x 2) running back and forth between those 2 spawns (<5 min round trips), without any green cobra spawn.

The same for scoots in scarlet gorge.
    I agree. It took me a number of hours to find the green cobra the first time so there is probably another spawn point. I caught him at level 35 though so it was hard for me to safely move through this zone to look for more. When I came back on my alt, I caught him first try in the northern of the 2 locations on the map.

Scoots was able my fastest catch both times as he was just sitting in the water to the north when I got there. I do agree that there is probably another point though. Most pets seem to have 3 spawn points.

Wonderful guide! Thanks for putting this together.

I really appreciate that this information was shared as I was having absolutely no luck figuring out what the spawn times might be and had yet to see (let alone capture) a single pet.

Many thanks to the OP from a fellow Shatterbonian!

Shadowlander

Server Maintenance today. Sorry to anyone who had started collecting but didn't finish! You will have to camp again to find the timer!

Shadowlander

I just received a Friendship Bracelet from the "Quarterly Login" reward.

Soulwalker

How close to the pet do you have to be for it to appear in your quest tracker?

Shadowlander

From my experience, if you are using a targeting macro, you should be able to target the pet as soon as it is within your mini map distance.

The actual appearance of the pet in your quest log and the capture button don't show up until you are a little bit closer.

If you want to check the actual distance, then you can test it on the Summer Sunplant fishing nodes. When you approach one of the fishing spots, the same sort of thing shows up in your quest log to fish up sunfish. Find a plant and see how close you have to get for it to show up.

Shadowlander

Slight Edit: The Great Scavenger Hunt requires level 31. In my original post I said level 30.

Nice screenshot for the companions! :\
    Last edited by Riane; 08-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Soulwalker

Default This is Great!

Thank you so much for putting this all together for everyone! My wife wants all the pets for her character!

Opacus
    On "Shatterbone"

IMPORTANT POINT: Last Night at approximately 9:45PM Pacific I was able to capture the Tabby Cat 5 times during a single spawn so the 'Spawn Duration' of 5mins may not be that exact since the Capture ability has a 1 minute cool down. I was almost on top of the Tabby when it spawned and wasted almost no time between cooldowns so they may be up for somewhere between 5-5.5 mins, I also came very close to catching 5 Jeweled Scarabs but I lost time fending off mobs while following it around but the same idea for the spawn duration is very likely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast