How to Obtain All Summerfest 2013 Pets
Disclaimer: The information in this guide is based off my own experience of obtaining all of the pets on two characters and may not be complete.
1) Rift Store Pets1.1) Badges & Bracelets1.2) Random Companion Adoption Box2) Rare Spawn Pets2.1) Spotted Snake2.2) Black Bunny2.3) Brown Rat2.4) Tamed Deepfang Hatchling2.5) Scoots2.6) Black Coyote2.7) Tabby Cat2.8) Mini Mordant2.9) White Squirrel2.10) Green Cobra2.11) Jewel Scarab3) Other Information3.1) Spawn Timer3.2) TheoriesPreface
After doing research on the summerfest pets for a couple of hours, I discovered that there was very little information known about them and yet, I knew that I wanted them all. I dedicated myself to hunting the pets and during the first week of summerfest, with about 22 hours of camping and 2 seasons of Doctor Who, I finally had them all.
I used the information I gained during this time and was able to capture 10 out of the 11 rare spawn pets for my alt within 8 hours and with very little camping.
Here is what I learned during my camping.
1) Rift Store Pets
The Rift Store and Summerfest NPC Aerlinsa have 5 possible pet purchases.
Pet Name Snaggletooth 500 3 360 Sunset -- -- 720 Starflare 1000 3 720 Twiddle 301 -- 180 Random Companion Adoption Box 700 -- 144
1)Random Companion Adoption Box: Contains one of the 11 rare spawn pets. Warning: You can receive a duplicate pet.
2)Twiddle: This is the exact same pet as Mini Mordant. You cannot collect both.
1.1) Badges and Bracelets
Summerfest Merit Badge
If pets are your focus, you should not have any trouble obtaining enough of these through the scavenger hunts and dailies. However, if you plan to buy other summerfest items, you may need to farm a few extra.
Farming Options1) Create AltsEvery item you can buy is Bind to Account so farm dailies on your alts and have them buy some of your Summerfest items.-----------------------------------------------
2) Invasion EventsThe exact details are not fully known but zone invasion events tend to give 10-15 badges per rift if they are on level with your character and an additional 20-25 when the final boss is defeated.-----------------------------------------------
3) FishingBadges can be fished up from Summer Sunplant fishing nodes. Not the most efficient method as they come 1 at a time unless you have the Patron perk in which case you get 2.
Summerfest Friendship Bracelet
To obtain all pets, you need 6 Friendship Bracelets or an alt that doesn't care about having all of the pets. If you are below level 30, you will have to spend a VERY long time fishing in order to get all 6 bracelets. If you are between 30 and 50, you can get 4 bracelets from scavenger hunts then start fishing up the last 2.
Ways to Get Summerfest Friendhip Bracelets
1) The Little Scavenger Hunt, Part 1
2) The Little Scavenger Hunt, Part 2
3) The Great Scavenget Hunt, Part 1 (Requires level 30)
4) The Great Scavenger Hunt, Part 2 (Requires level 30)
5) The Great Dusken Scavenger Hunt, Part 1 (Requires level 50)
6) The Great Brevane Scavenger Hunt, Part 1 (Requires level 50)
7) Capture: Them All (Requires level 50)
8) Summer Sunfish Fishing Node (Very rare chance to fish one up.)
1.2) Random Companion Adoption Box
These boxes cost 700 Summerfest Merit Badges or 144 Credits and contain one of the 11 rare spawn pets, including Twiddle.
Important: If you plan to get all of the pets, do not buy the Twiddle companion from the store until you have collected all of the rest to prevent the chance of getting duplicates.
The Adoption Box can give you duplicate pets which you can either destroy or send to an alt. If you plan to use these boxes as a way to get pets, I recommend that you do so before you begin hunting. If you have 10/11 pets and are hoping for the last one, you will have a hard time finding it unless you have large amounts of expendable currency.
Pet's Owned Chance Of Getting Pet You Need 0 100% 1 91% 2 82% 3 73% 4 64% 5 55% 6 45% 7 36% 8 27% 9 18% 10 9%
2) Rare Spawn Pets
Every zone in the original world has 1 pet that is exclusive to it and can only be caught during Summerfest. In this section I will show you known locations, a picture, and a search route which can be completed (fairly) safely by anyone level 30+.
If a pet is near, you will see 2 things on your screen:
1) In your temporary ability bar.
2) In your quest tracker.
At this point, you must target the pet and click the temporary ability to capture it. They are small and move fast so targeting macros are recommended. As you can see, the distance indicator dot in the upper right corner is gray, not red, when you are close enough to capture.
1) All of the pets have a green nameplate unless they are captured.
2) The pets spawn in specific areas of a zone but only in one of those areas each spawn period.
3) The same pet can be caught multiple times for your alts. There is a cooldown on the capture ability but if you found the pet at the beginning of it's spawn period, you can catch it 3-4 times.
4) If another player is standing nearby with the same pet out that you are trying to capture, your targeting macro will always target the player's pet instead of targeting the wild one.
5) Everyone can capture the same pet. It despawns on a timer so let your zone and guild know!
Reminder: These locations are based off of my research and experience and may not be complete.
2.1) Spotted Snake
Pet Name: Spotted Snake
Macro: /tar Spotted Snake
2.2) Black Bunny
Pet Name: Black Bunny
Macro: /tar Black Bunny
2.3) Brown Rat
Pet Name: Brown Rat
Macro: /tar Brown Rat
(Note: Most likely there is another location not marked on this map.)
2.4) Tamed Deepfang Hatchling
Pet Name: Tamed Deepfang Hatchling
Macro: /tar Tamed Deepfang
(Note: The pet is called Tamed Deepfang Hatchling but the capturable critter is just called Tamed Deepfang.)
Pet Name: Scoots
Zone: Scarlet Gorge
Macro: /tar Scoots
(Note: Most likely there is another spawn point but both of my characters caught him in the water to the north.)
2.6) Black Coyote
Pet Name: Black Coyote
Zone: Scarwood Reach
Macro: /tar Black Coyote
2.7) Tabby Cat
Pet Name: Tabby Cat
Zone: Moonshade Highlands
Macro: /tar Tabby Cat
(Note: With a 60% or 90% mount, this round trip can be hard to make in 5 minutes since you have to use enemy porticulums. Faster mounts can probably make it without the porticulums.)
2.8) Mini Mordant
Pet Name: Twiddle
Macro: /tar Mini Mordant
(Note: The pet's name is Twiddle and is the exact same one that can be bought for 300 badges but the capturable critter is called Mini Mordant.)
(Note: Use the Porticulums to make this route a lot faster.)
2.9) White Squirrel
Pet Name: White Squirrel
Zone: Iron Pine Peak
Macro: /tar White Squirrel
(Note: One time the squirrel was on the western edge of the southern location. This area is densely populated by aggressive enemies so can be very hard for a lower level to capture.)
2.10) Green Cobra
Pet Name: Green Cobra
Macro: /tar Green Cobra
(Note: This route can be tricky for low levels due to the high concentration of enemies.)
2.11) Jewel Scarab
Pet Name: Tats
Macro: /tar Jewel Scarab
(Note: The pet is named Tats but the capturable critter is called Jewel Scarab.)
(Note: At the northeast location, the critter can spawn just inside the ruined city which is extremely dangerous for lower levels. It can spawn just outside in the treed area which is much better. Be sure to jump off the cliff to the west to save running time.)
3) Other Information
3.1) Spawn Timer
There are lots of theories about the spawn timers of these pets. However, I can confirm without a doubt the following timer.
Time Between Despawn and Spawn: 1 Hour
Time Available for Capture: 5 Minutes
Unfortunately the only way you will initially be able to know when to start your timer is by camping one of the pets. Put on the TV, grab a drink, choose a zone, then run laps between each of the spawn points. To be sure you don't miss the pet, make a complete loop in 5 minutes or less.
Once you find a pet, capture it, then watch it till it despawns. As soon as it despawns, that is the start of your timer. From that point on, you should be able to play normally and capture a pet or 2 every hour.
Time Despawned: 11:06 pm
Next Spawn Time: 12:06 am
Pet Will Despawn: 12:11 am
Next Spawn: 1:11 am
Once you figure this out, you can make a chart to know every spawn time:
(Note: These times are hypothetical and may not line up with the spawn timer on your shard.)
Anyone reading this from Shatterbone shard: My last sighting of a pet was 12:06 am on August 5 so you can extrapolate the spawn times from that.
1) If you are quick and a bit lucky, you will be able to capture pets in more than one zone during the 5 minute spawn time.3.2) Theories
2) Any server maintenance or downtime will reset your spawn timer so you will have to camp again.
My alt was able to capture 10/11 pets within 8 hours after I knew the spawn timers. It took me another 2 days to capture the Black Bunny. In addition, not every pet was found every hour. Possible Explanations:
1) There are additional spawn locations I do not know about. (Very Likely)Regardless, once you get the timer down, there will for sure be a pet up at one of the marked locations during every spawn period.
2) Not every zone spawns a pet every hour but rather they alternate. (This is possible but I tend to think the first one is more likely.)
3) Killing critters does NOT speed up the respawn period.