+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kronos v
  • 1 Post By Wrastion
  • 1 Post By Kronos v

Thread: A few questions about pvp from returning player

Soulwalker

Default A few questions about pvp from returning player

Hello guys. PVP is my most favourite thing to do in mmos so I'd like to ask you a few questions

1. Are warfronts happening at lower level than 70? I know they are dead at very low lvl (for now at least) but what about 60-69? Maybe 50-59? And from what I know 60-65 and 65-70 are different expansions, right? So also warfronts have separate brackets? Something like 60-65, 66-69 and 70?

2. What about dimishing returns from crowd control? At the begining of the game rules about this were classic like in WoW. When you stunned a player for 4s he got a full duration, when you did this again shortly after first ended he was stunned for 2s and them immunity apopeared for some time but from what I've read in the net, this system was changed but that was a few years ago and I couldnt find any recent news. System was changed to something like this: after using cc enemy is immune for this type cc for the original duration of the cc, so for example after 4s stun he would be immune for stuns for 4s. After transmogrify into squirell for 8s he'll receive immunity for new transmogrify for 8s etc. This system is still here?

3. Can I stop enemy warrior from charging at me with knockback or transmogrify? You know, when I see an animation of his charge from the distance and I'll use my cc on him before he reaches me, some kind of root, knockback or different cc it will work and stop him?

4. Are shields like burning shield, ice shield etc. dispellable with remove buff skills?

5. Similiar question. A lot of cleanses I saw in the game are removing curses, diseases or poisons but... in which category are "normal" debuffs? Like dominator's Priest's Lament? Or Damage over time which are not curse or disease like elementalist's ignite? This stuff is dispellable?

6. I heard that besides break free, at lvl 50 we are getting another cc break? Is that true? Its a little bit concerning to be honest because after devs removed many cc from the game that existed at launch and with 2 break free's + additional from specific souls its like cc doesnt matter at all and fight transforms into damage race? I'm just saying this from analyzing skills trees, not actual experience because I'm still too low lvl. I saw that there are quite a lot of interrupts but other types like stuns etc are much less numerous so even if you apply 1 or 2 cc to the target he will cleanse it anyway and again its just your burst vs his burst with addition of heal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. And last question about world pvp. Does it exist in higher lvl zones? I remember that at launch I was meeting players from opposite factions and we were able to fight but somewhere in the net I've read that world pvp is not existant... is that true? I'm talking about pvp server.

Thanks in advance

1: sadly, no. the only bracket that pops is the top bracket, 65-70. minor note, there is a bolster for lvls 65-69 players, such that at lvls 68 and 69 you are actually very strong in pvp.

2: the last method you mentions is still in place. stunned for 4, immune for another 4.

3: yes, but most CC is on the GCD, and charges are fast. good luck.

4: maybe? will depend on the specific shield buff, but if it has a light blue border on the ability icon on the buff list, it can be purged.

5: maybe. again, some can, some cant, will depend on specific debuff. again, look at the icons border.

6: generally correct, specifically wrong. everyone gets 2 breakfrees. additional breakfrees can come with certain specs, often at much shorter cooldowns. the amount of CC a spec has can vary a lot. the basic assumption is that if you want to tactically CC someone, you are going to have to burn their breakfrees first. this can be effective vs some specs, ineffective vs others.

7: no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Ascendant

Kronos summed it up good.

Most of what your getting at is tactful, well thought out builds and skillful play and counter play. If so, this is not really the game for you, imo. While you could build a few exploiting builds that are pure CC toons focusing on objectives (see Kronos for this), your general play is dps pew pew burst vs burst. To point:

1. Dom is slightly annoying. Completely not on par like it used to be. That tells you a lot about CC and the issues that cause this are...

2. 2 breakfrees which Some of us vocally disagreed with years ago. Some toons have 3. This eliminated a ton of tactful play. Also, dps is more akin to a fps game with multiple overpowrrrd souls.

If your a f2p player your going to be punted around like a ragdoll for months on end until your gear catches up with your skill. Specifically the frags are a major power curve and issue with rng.

I created multiple CC toons in my Rift playing career and most are obsolete now with its linear dps focus overruling most every other kind of neat build you can make, save for a few select players that have tons of experience and unique playstyles. Even then, those same players would most likely benefit better from making the cookie cutter builds but are probably bored and simply challenge themselves.

Also, as Ive mentioned in nearly every post because people simply dont know, the game is completely in maintenance mode. Meaning nothing really will change so OP callings/souls, broken abilities/items, bugs, etc.., are here to stay. I suggest you look at the patch notes and go backwards a year. Wont take you long and youll get a trend for Gamigos contribution to the game for a year.

Soulwalker

Thanks for answers guys. I was asking about lower brackes (like 65-69) because Its always a jump into a deep water for a fresh max lvl to fight agains geared veterans in every mmo but if lvl 68-69 is strong thanks to boost soo..... maybe there is a sense to stick at lvl 69 for a little bit longer to catch up some gear and just using this bolster to counter gear difference at least a little bit?

And why world pvp is non existant even on pvp servers? Its disabled everywhere?

Again about lower lvl warfronts. Corrent me if I'm wrong please but warfronts are cross shard, right? And the amount of people from each side of conflict doesnt matter? I mean, in extreme cases we can even have 20 guardians or 20 defiants split into 10/10 teams? If yes... so for example if I had 20 friends from the same side at 30-39 bracket and we'll join warfront at the same time will we get in?

And while we are talking about cross shard. When I see a guy with "@Typhiria" behind his nick running on my bloodiron shard, that means he moved his char to bloodiron? Or now we have one big world where all people from every shard are playing and seperate shards are pure cosmetics or leftovers from old times?

And what do you mean Wrastion about being F2P player and spending months to catch up? I was thinking about buying soul packs but thats it. Some others service is required? Which one?

And yes, Bursty pvp without tactical depth may be not for me buuuut for now I'm more roleplaying than anything and it will take me long time to reach 70. I'm treating this game more like a single player game with social additions than serious mmo I used to play back in the day. But even with it seeing some abilities which are boosting damage by 85% for example (mostly at the higher tier of a soul with requirement of 40+ or 50+ points in it) feels a little bit overpowered for me

Last thing about break free. I heard it somewhere but I dont remember where... do we get something like 5s cc immunity after using this? Or it just breaks cc thats holding the player without giving him more immunities?
    Last edited by Bronth; 08-10-2020 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronth View Post
    Thanks for answers guys. I was asking about lower brackes (like 65-69) because Its always a jump into a deep water for a fresh max lvl to fight agains geared veterans in every mmo but if lvl 68-69 is strong thanks to boost soo..... maybe there is a sense to stick at lvl 69 for a little bit longer to catch up some gear and just using this bolster to counter gear difference at least a little bit?
    the final bracket for warfronts is lvl 65-70. at lvls 65-69 you are playing against geared 70s as well.
    level 65-69 receive a bolster to allow them to compete more evenly, and this becomes more effective as you gain more legendary abilities.
    when you flip over from 69 (bolstered strong) to fresh 70 (no gear) you will actually be weaker for a while as you gear up.

getting the armor pieces and weapons wont actually take that long. not much of a grind there.
    where the biggest pvp gear grind is, is in the fragments, which you unlock at lvl 65, and can get pve frags from that point (weak in pvp), but you dont actually start getting pvp frags until you are lvl 70. they are RNG drops, 90% of which are terrible and for other classes than the one you are playing. when you do get a good one, they are expensive to upgrade.

And why world pvp is non existant even on pvp servers? Its disabled everywhere?
    its not that it is disabled, it is that few players run around in the open world on the pvp servers. even those native to the shard mostly run around on the pve shards. it is easier for grouping, as pvp shards auto flag you, so you cant group with opposing faction players.

Again about lower lvl warfronts. Corrent me if I'm wrong please but warfronts are cross shard, right? And the amount of people from each side of conflict doesnt matter? I mean, in extreme cases we can even have 20 guardians or 20 defiants split into 10/10 teams? If yes... so for example if I had 20 friends from the same side at 30-39 bracket and we'll join warfront at the same time will we get in?
    the issue here is that players level so quickly out of the lower level brackets due to massive xp in Instant Adventures. the game rushes new players towards the higher levels and only starts to slow down around lvl 60, by which time lvl 70 is in sight and that becomes the major focus.

And while we are talking about cross shard. When I see a guy with "@Typhiria" behind his nick running on my bloodiron shard, that means he moved his char to bloodiron? Or now we have one big world where all people from every shard are playing and seperate shards are pure cosmetics or leftovers from old times?
    all shards in the cluster are connected, and you can teleport freely between them (right click on your character portrait). it means his home shard is Typhiria, and he's just visiting bloodiron.
    note: EU and NA are separate clusters. you cannot move a character between them. only between shards on the same cluster.

And what do you mean Wrastion about being F2P player and spending months to catch up? I was thinking about buying soul packs but thats it. Some others service is required? Which one?
    patrons get more ingame currencies faster.

And yes, Bursty pvp without tactical depth may be not for me buuuut for now I'm more roleplaying than anything and it will take me long time to reach 70. I'm treating this game more like a single player game with social additions than serious mmo I used to play back in the day. But even with it seeing some abilities which are boosting damage by 85% for example (mostly at the higher tier of a soul with requirement of 40+ or 50+ points in it) feels a little bit overpowered for me
    good. you are choosing to play the game a better way than those who power level thru IAs. i fully support and encourage you.

Last thing about break free. I heard it somewhere but I dont remember where... do we get something like 5s cc immunity after using this? Or it just breaks cc thats holding the player without giving him more immunities?
    breakfree and fading Light (the second breakfree) both give a few seconds of immunity after use. this rarely actually matters, due to the immunity granted by being CCed in the first place.

a couple of final notes:
    CCs are grouped into three categories: 1. stuns and similar, 2. roots and snares, 3. pulls and knockbacks.
    if you are stunned, and dont use breakfree, you will be immune to a second stone as explained previously, but you can still be rooted. if the breakfrees are already been burnt, it is possible to chain CCs with stun > root > 2 stun > ect.

lastly, both Wrastion and i play on the NA shards (though i occasional make an appearance on EU with a lvl 65 toon i have over there). most of what we have said assumes a NA experience of the game. the EU pvp situation is, if anything, even more dire. warfronts rarely pop even in the 65-70 bracket on EU, and when it does neither team is full, and only one or two players actually know what they are doing. the other times it pops is even worse, as pve guilds form premades specifically to win trade and farm map achievements.

if your primary goal is RP and solo adventure and pvp doesnt really matter, then stick with the EU.
    however, if pvp is something you do want to dabble in at some point.. eventually.. then you might want to consider re-rolling on the NA cluster instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Ascendant

Again, Kronos summed up pretty much what I would have said.

The only deeper explanations I can give are better examples. 1/2 your pvp power is from pvp fragments, which is total luck to get good ones, even after months of play. As you level them up, its random what stats you get, so you can be on a streak and get crit power, crit chance, attack power, then suddenly you get dodge, then block (normally undesirable in pvp). You now wasted a lot of time and assets on a frag and have to completely scrap it to start over to hope you get all the stats you want in a row.

Or you could pay real life money, buy the mats needed to upgrade, and buy some rex to sell for the needed plat in game. In a fee short hours you can get the perfect stats by continually upgrading and trashing frags that randomly give you undesirable stats. That plat can also buy you new weapon/armor enchants, trinket, and healing pots. You can also purchase a couple of the pvp gear for money as well. Keep in mind I played decently for well over a year as a ftp player and still dont have half my frags maxxed. I only pvp though. In one day I could have full frags and be better geared then 90% of all pvp players if I pay out real life money. This I call p2w when the time sink is ridiculous. You dont have to be full geared, and can be top notch playing without, but when an equally skilled but better geared player beats you handily, youll get frustrated until you gear up better.

One more thing concerning immunity to CC and diminishing returns. Most the newest souls were not correctly pvp coded. This means their abilities arent as nerfed, or not nerfed at all, in pvp, which is very, very powerful. As mentioned before this game is in maintenance mode and these problems are here to stay. Some are hidden like shielding abilities so when you see an unkillable healing warrior and his actual heals handily beat other healers, its a double whammy no one sees his broken shields that should be like 90% pvp nerfed but completely arent. So compared to that healing cleric whose not even reaching the warriors pure heals, that clerics shields which you dont see are also pitiful compared to the warriors.

Some souls can carry objectives speed boosted or teleporting while older souls its disabled, properly.

I could go on but its a long list that creates a very unbalanced experience in pvp unless you pick only certain souls/abilities. The game actually needs a whole team of devs to fix it, its that bad, but they have a skeleton crew that can barely keep the game up and fixing issues like disappearing accounts. I just read a thread from January about a quest several people reported broken you cant advance the storyline. 8 months later no devs bother replying. 99% of ideas/bugs are blatantly ignored.

I read a roleplaying post in another thread. You might want to search it out and link up with like-minded individuals for a better experience. They had some 4 hour meetup RP event going. While online RP has never been my thing, Ive won several PS4ís from my work during Halloween contests and a Bose Soundlink. Most of that was due to the acting getting the votes, not just the dressup. Even traded one of the PS4ís for the 1080 card I have in my computer, so RP does pay off sometimes lol.

+ Reply to Thread