+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Wrastion

Thread: PvP Arenas

Soulwalker

Default PvP Arenas

Hello Devs, it would be interesting to see additions to small scale pvp and adding some competitive aspect to the pvp world in rift. The addition of a random and rated arena warfront for 2v2 and 3v3. You could use a similar feature like in instant adventure teleporting you all over the world. We could fight throughout the world of rift in small scale as well. This would certainly bring a huge interest in the mmo community. Elariok please hear some of the suggestions out.

Rift Disciple

pvp players may have ask for that long ago but nothing has been done so i'm not sure something will happen, even if it may not be so hard to create for gamingo (not the one self made in dimension where everything bug like teleportations, etc)
    but imo it will only bring more complains from the specs that are more melee and that u don't see much now in 35m vs 35m fight range
    Last edited by sylaen; 07-12-2020 at 05:58 AM.

I'm pretty sure they have commented on Arenas before, but I don't remember what those comments were outside of not wanting to do Arenas. There's also been several threads discussing this over the years. These being the biggest two:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...rena-rift.html

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ft-yes-no.html

(70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Gamigo's Acqisition of Trion Words: Everything we know so far

Shadowlander

+1

Arena is such a good idea and it'd be nice to see it added.

As long as it doesn't allow mounts it's wellcomed.

Not sure if some sort of scoring system is possible?
    The Leaderboards section is super wonkey already.
    Last edited by Shas; 07-12-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Hierosolyma | Shas | Shaslol | Syenn | Azuren | Jeru | Katane

Soulwalker

Well i think having a weekly cap on the amount of currency you could earn per week on currency for a tier 3 for pvp that can only be obtained from rated arenas and it would be nice to have a rated conquest that allows for 5 man premades only to be stacked in and that being the only way to obtain tier 3 i think would make a lot of pvp players happy with actually progression

Quote Originally Posted by Forrsaken View Post
    Well i think having a weekly cap on the amount of currency you could earn per week on currency for a tier 3 for pvp that can only be obtained from rated arenas and it would be nice to have a rated conquest that allows for 5 man premades only to be stacked in and that being the only way to obtain tier 3 i think would make a lot of pvp players happy with actually progression
    But wouldn't the arena best used to absolutely even the playing field and make the competition about skill (between the 4 vialbe pvp builds) - instead of gear and consumeables?

Taking existing and succesful arena system, it's 95% about the timing and decisions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCHvp999dQw

Not sure if a focus on gear progression in competitive pvp is the right move- isn't exactly that the most annoying aspect of Wf's atm? (besides low pop)

I personaly would love if pvp boxes gave you a wide variety of trinekt effects to play around with. Something like NMT transmog proccs, the old MM decoy, Bahmi racial- leaps etc.
    Last edited by Shas; 07-13-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Soulwalker

well shas i think for most of the current pvp players who are vets donít really have any gear left to progress and already have max prestige. Having a tier 3 set for rated (competitive matches) Gives then something to compete and something to grind for. Warfronts getting gear is a piece of cake for pvp itís just getting the frags that pisses most pvp players off. And making a rated version of conquest would be another way to gear up for tier 3. i think Making it so teams of only 5 can join

well shas i think for most of the current pvp players who are vets donít really have any gear left to progress and already have max prestige. Having a tier 3 set for rated (competitive matches) Gives then something to compete and something to grind for. Warfronts getting gear is a piece of cake for pvp itís just getting the frags that pisses most pvp players off. And making a rated version of conquest would be another way to gear up for tier 3. i think Making it so teams of only 5 can join
    Isn't playing the game, having a good match and doing a good team effort enough? It has to be these days.
    Plently of pvp games out without any aftermath reward system are palyed for the gameplay.
    I get that *other* mmo's have a continuing grind and a power reset every 2 years^^
    But i am not sure if a *gameplay intensifying* mode is the very next thing on the list if one only queues for lootboxes.

I don't really get why pvp gear progression is so important. Besides stomping new people there isn't really any benefit. Don't 69 sidekicks have better stats than the average 70 pvp main?

There could be a site that calculates WF combatlogs into performance charts and gives people a ranking system based on participation.

Arena's as it is suggested atm is basically instanced duells with some shinies.
    PvP Dimensions are a possibility since a good while now and i wonder why there hasn't been a custom tournament yet?

Tournament:

Stream a 1v1 or 3v3 tournament. Level 69 chars with 70 sidekick. Or 70 chars with 65 mentor. List of banned exploits and referees overlooking logs and actions.
    3 dimension 'maps' for the increasing stages of the tournament.
    Best of 5 then places 4-1 best of 7- but at least 2 wins ahead. So 4:3 will go until 6:3

You could even ask for the PTs to open for the event so everyone has the exact same playing field. Contact inactive pvp ers to participate.

If there aren't enough people signing up for a competitive event- aven cross region, arena will most likely not popp.

/my 2 cents. Dunno wyt

(And please don't come at me now with the obligatory *pve main wants to sabotage people and devs only do what he wants* i had enough of that)

Soulwalker

Yeah i love the pvp dimensions and events and what not but having a system to que into makes this much easier for people who just wanna queue and play. PVP in this game has potential to bring back a big crowd of people. People wanna see they added something to grind for and compete for. They really could do a lot to makes things fun. As for a rated system iím honestly not to sure how accurate or how much it matters your pvp rating on the leaderboard and what division your in. So if they could fix that and work off of it it would be nice. Thereís a lot of things they can do but the majority of the pvp crowd wants new content to do. A new warfront is nice but having something thatís different than warfronts give people a variety. if you want to pvp right now itís only good for spamming battleground type events and thatís it there nothing else. Add more things to do and tell people it and more people come back.

Wink

Yeah i love the pvp dimensions and events and what not but having a system to que into makes this much easier for people who just wanna queue and play. PVP in this game has potential to bring back a big crowd of people. People wanna see they added something to grind for and compete for. They really could do a lot to makes things fun. As for a rated system i’m honestly not to sure how accurate or how much it matters your pvp rating on the leaderboard and what division your in. So if they could fix that and work off of it it would be nice. There’s a lot of things they can do but the majority of the pvp crowd wants new content to do. A new warfront is nice but having something that’s different than warfronts give people a variety. if you want to pvp right now it’s only good for spamming battleground type events and that’s it there nothing else. Add more things to do and tell people it and more people come back.
    Hmm yes taking the pov of Pvp being it's own sub-game within the game with dedicated players turned exclusively to it, having one game mode and one blue set of which half the slots are not even bis- feels rather half hearted indeed.

In case of pvp T3, i would love to see all this Break Free, Fading Light and planar attunement buff overload changed into pvp gear setboni- and gearslots - where it belongs.
    - You want the Break free in dungeons- or use it as part of a pve strat, you gotta earn it.
    Giving disarms, silences and snares a meaning again.

Game mode wise, a S&D bomb plant mode or a Karthagrat style capture game- but you need to take an item from your spawn to the point in order to capture it - like codex but they can't cap if you ambush the core/ flag carrier - together with evasion nerfs and mount+mount speed normalisation should bring back strategy and team synnergy.

Still it would be easyer to make a rift pvp mobile ripoff than getting retail construction going.

Last edited by Shas; 07-14-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Ascendant

Back in the day they had a competitive wf que for 5v5 that gave no rewards and was set in Black Garden with no fang (no pve objective).

It was immensely unpopular. Queing was pointless unless you purposefully coordinated with 5 others to pvp. Most found they would rather 5 man que to stomp pugs, and the competitive ones found hardly anyone wanted to compete.

An arena is pointless at this moment and has been for years. There are so many inherent balancing issues that even if you got enough participators (you wont), it would be a single meta most likely consisting of warriors and burst primalists. Definitely warrior healers or bust. You could take other souls, but you'd be not optimal.

In arena you need to either CC the healer, or burst them down. With dps so powerful CC isnt the skillful play it used to be, especially with the extra break frees everyone now gets. The meta would further devolve into exploits like CC on certain newer souls that bypass diminishing returns and other shenanigans.

If people havent figured it out, the newer souls were not coded correctly for pvp nerfs, and are inherently more powerful then other souls because lots of abilities aren't fully pvp nerfed fully like all the older souls were. The actual numbers, for example, would probably make people do a double take if you could see a warriors shields and not just its top rated heals. Gear scaling has always been an issue with certain souls, and its the same in pvp as well you get actually fully gear maxed and your suddenly throwing out 100k threshers maws every 4th button click. I know one pvper that literally backpedals, but the vulcanist build can burst almost any player down because of the soul + a pve necklace bypassing pvp nerfs and netting large stat gains, etc..,

Player ran tournaments were actually more popular, most likely because they gathered crowds to watch and had some reward incentive. Also, they tended to enforce certain rules to help avoid the exploiting. I enjoyed a few and still remember practicing against Escadoras team playing bard/phys split as the main healer. Took him a while to figure out what I was doing to consistently beat his team when I was also the main CCer getting his dps killed over and over by telling my team NOT to touch their healer and simply putting him to sleep. All I had to do was keep my team alive for 16 seconds through 1-2 break frees and the 3rd time they were asleep and not healing giving my dps the time to kill off his team. He eventually figured it out and had the healer switch souls for extra break frees. Nowadays you cant build tactfully, its more a fps game with dps ruling all and a broken warrior soul and ďmaybeĒ mage FK as the only viable healing soul for true competition. Times changed the games ďtacticsĒ too much and the game is simple like checkers vs a game of chess.

Maintenance mode is completely all the game has to offer now. Every patch which isnt even really a patch confirms this, going on over a year now. Loved the game but Im moving on. Was going to check out New World but that got postponed.

+ Reply to Thread