+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help a returning player out

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54

    Default Help a returning player out

    Hi Rift community

    I was thinking of trying out Rift once again after a few years away. I can see a lot has changed, so I have a few questions before i try the game out again.

    I have very limited time, as I'm a single parent, so really want to focus on the "right" class/soul for me from the get go.

    I'll be focusing 100% on PvP and I'll be healing 90% of the time. So what class would you recommend?

    Last i played I had a Cleric, Warrior and Rogue at top level, so was thinking one of them or maybe the Primalist?

    What is the difference between them, when it comes to healing in PvP? I know how the Rogue and Cleric works, but I haven't tried the new Warrior healing souls or the Primalist.

    Thanks in advance to those who answers.

    Best regards Daniel

  2. #2
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    warrior is currently the strongest healer of the three, as well as being one of the strongest damage dealers.

    cleric heals are not great, in general. a small number of elite cleric players have managed to make something that isnt completely useless, but only for a short time. cleric damage is currently pretty good.

    rogue heals are laughable, but its damage is decent, and it can be tricksy when its wants.

    mage heals are better than cleric or rogue, but then you dont need to have great heals to top those classes. mage damage and utility is OP, pls nerf in specific situations.

    primalist heals are better than cleric or rogue, but then you dont need to have great heals to top those classes. primalist damage and utility is OP, pls nerf in specific situations.

    pvp does not happen below level 65. at level 65 you get to play with the big boys, and you are a little fish. however, due to the bolster, by level 67 you can pump out some serious numbers, and at lvl 69 you are a real threat (assuming you know what you are doing). once you ding 70, that lowbie bolster changes to the gear bolster, and you have no gear, once again making you a little fish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  3. #3
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Clerics are not worth investing in compared to other classes in the game. Rogue is the best investment both for PvE and PvP if you want to DPS and actually put points on the board for a number of favoring maps. They have a wide arrange of playstyles that take advantage of stealth, cc and flash backports. Warrior is the most wanted healer both in PvE and PvP for ST healing. PvP in this game has what players consider exploits so don't be so surprised if you run into players who are able to mount mid-combat and gain 165%+ speed boost all of a sudden anytime they want on certain maps etc.

    Warrior has insane healing so that is your go-to choice for healing. Rogue healing+ support is just not manageable by most players but it is not a bad support healer and does absolutely have a place in PvP with other heal types and burst DPS. Most rogues don't want to admit they have the best heal support hybrid in PvP.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 03-04-2020 at 06:43 PM.

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    66

    Default

    you want some help? dont bother lol nobody plays anymore besides like 3 eu players and terriabds on na

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser Learan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    mage damage and utility is OP, pls nerf.
    LoL good one. You do realize mage is the lowest dps of all the classes. It has no more utility than Inq.
    Last edited by Learan; 03-10-2020 at 09:10 AM.

  6. #6
    Rift Master Leiloni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aedynn View Post
    Rogue healing+ support is just not manageable by most players but it is not a bad support healer and does absolutely have a place in PvP with other heal types and burst DPS. Most rogues don't want to admit they have the best heal support hybrid in PvP.
    Any link to build ideas for this? I recently made a Rogue alt because I love the idea of Bards but looking at the rogue build guide it seems no full Bard builds are even recommended. I main healers so if there's a Bard/heal hybrid that's worth playing really in any content that would be great.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Learan View Post
    LoL good one. You do realize mage is the lowest dps of all the classes. It has no more utility than Inq.
    mage damage only looks so low on the scoreboard because their targets tend to die a lot faster than to other classes.

    harbingers almost always come out on top in any 1v1, even 1v2.
    warlock dots are OP as all heck
    mystic archers bounce all over the map while carrying objectives faster than anyone else can keep up, do decent burst damage, and heal themselves while carrying damage objectives.

    right now, mages are FotM.
    easy way to tell the current FotM look at what class
    Spoiler!
    is playing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Learan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    mage damage only looks so low on the scoreboard because their targets tend to die a lot faster than to other classes.

    harbingers almost always come out on top in any 1v1, even 1v2.
    warlock dots are OP as all heck
    mystic archers bounce all over the map while carrying objectives faster than anyone else can keep up, do decent burst damage, and heal themselves while carrying damage objectives.

    right now, mages are FotM.
    easy way to tell the current FotM look at what class
    Spoiler!
    is playing.
    MA is no more OP than Riftstalker with all their blinks. Yes, Harbinger does well during EA. Saying Warlock is op is nowhere near accurate. Look at the ST breakdown. Its significantly lower in ST dmg the utility and self heal is what makes it useful in wfs.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Learan View Post
    MA is no more OP than Riftstalker with all their blinks. Yes, Harbinger does well during EA. Saying Warlock is op is nowhere near accurate. Look at the ST breakdown. Its significantly lower in ST dmg the utility and self heal is what makes it useful in wfs.
    riftstalker cant blink while carrying WF and karthan stones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser Learan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    riftstalker cant blink while carrying WF and karthan stones.
    You sound a little salty. 😂

  11. #11
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
    Any link to build ideas for this? I recently made a Rogue alt because I love the idea of Bards but looking at the rogue build guide it seems no full Bard builds are even recommended. I main healers so if there's a Bard/heal hybrid that's worth playing really in any content that would be great.
    There is no main heal spec for rogue that works as well as warrior and mage. What I mean by support healer is the general sense of it being a good support for the main healer and also a support/heal spec hybrid that buffs the raid and does some spot ST and okay AE healing. You just use the bard/phys build but alter it to play with 41 point legendary from bard..you can search the guides section for BardPhys PvE Guide. If you want to heal main you should pick warrior or mage.. Primalist is not so bad either. Cleric is a mess of a class still. Not such a good investment. I just mess around on my cleric because I get tired of playing the other classes sometimes and I already have max fragments on 3 of 5 classes for PvP that I play. Rogue is the best class in my opinion because of the warfront design. Permanent stealth is way too powerful given warfront designs like Blighted, Domination and Codex map..
    Last edited by Aedynn; 03-11-2020 at 04:08 PM.

  12. #12
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricon View Post
    Hi Rift community

    I was thinking of trying out Rift once again after a few years away. I can see a lot has changed, so I have a few questions before i try the game out again.

    I have very limited time, as I'm a single parent, so really want to focus on the "right" class/soul for me from the get go.

    I'll be focusing 100% on PvP and I'll be healing 90% of the time. So what class would you recommend?

    Last i played I had a Cleric, Warrior and Rogue at top level, so was thinking one of them or maybe the Primalist?

    What is the difference between them, when it comes to healing in PvP? I know how the Rogue and Cleric works, but I haven't tried the new Warrior healing souls or the Primalist.

    Thanks in advance to those who answers.

    Best regards Daniel
    Warrior is in the best state for healing or dps, as they have top notch output. Warrior heals should be top over everyone with built in tankiness, which is doubling down on why they are the very best heals you can play. The only drawback is 30-35 meter ranged dps builds on warrior arent that great. Since the games in maintenance mode Id duggest warrior if you want to be the top healer.

    Primalist is similar to warrior dps wise, but its heals are more what the output should be for all heals. Its more balanced now. I dont see primalists healing anymore, but I chalk that down to two things. 1. Its single Target dps and burst are awesome and several builds can do this. 2. Primalist was EASY mode healing it was a bouncing heal that full healed your team/10 seconds and you could be facing backwards talking in chat but as long as you hit one button at ten seconds you were quadrupling the top dps output. In other words it encouraged horrible skill as a healer and once nerfed over half the primalists healers couldn't survive as a healer despite its output being corrected.

    Rogue has a bunch of versatility in pvp dps wise, and has an interesting niche spot healing wise. You can create a hybrid bard physician and do good (mostly) aoe heals with ok single target heals. You can also dip in for curative cores in other souls for even more aoe heals. The uniqueness is in the bard debuffs that allow your team to dps players down more fast. Most the debuffs spread to multiple players making your dps more deadly, especially to players not used to being damaged that fast like warriors or mage healers.

    Cleric is the most lackluster of all callings dps wise, and heals wise Im pretty much the only cleric I ever see healing anymore. You “can” do well healing hybrid builds, but its more complicated then any other healing soul to get high output. Even then you wont beat the best warrior or mage healers, due to the soul limitations. I hit 9-10k hps in the best scenarios while mage/warrior hits 12k, as an example. The only cool thing about it is you have the biggest heal in game on a 30 second CD, but it does bug sometimes, which is not cool. I just switch to play dps inq at these times.

    Mage Im leveling so I will give my opinion once I get to 70 and geared. Im hitting 3-5k hps currently at level 67, but bolstering is odd and Ive not fooled around with other hybrid builds. That build is very tanky though mixing arbiter, chloro and frostkeeper. Someone else maxed out on mage can speak better on its capabilities.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 03-30-2020 at 11:35 AM.

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Learan View Post
    LoL good one. You do realize mage is the lowest dps of all the classes. It has no more utility than Inq.
    Mage lock builds easily get 9+ dps due to overly powerful dots in pvp. The full geared ones do 12+ dps on targets, using one button primarily, from full ranged. Also can go any subclass since most the dps is built into lock. Has good utility too. Definitely not lacking.

    The harb builds are the best survivable builds in game that I know of with the absolute best utility in pvp for what you want and completely awesome side effects like getting your targeted self dropped so you have to be targeted again. Its dps is very high for all its built in shielding, evading, self healing, porting, etc.., I, however, dont know the skill difficulty since I dont have a high enough lvl mage....yet. 1 vs 1 though, top notch build.

    Mage is not at all lowest dps of all classes. Dps wise or total damage wise. You should use Rift Meter and/or just look at warfront results it would help.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 03-30-2020 at 03:18 PM.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser Learan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Mage lock builds easily get 9+ dps due to overly powerful dots in pvp. The full geared ones do 12+ dps on targets, using one button primarily, from full ranged. Also can go any subclass since most the dps is built into lock. Has good utility too. Definitely not lacking.
    Yes warlock can peak high in certain conditions but its mostly fluff ae dmg. Warlock 1v1 requires los and utility to beat other classes who are equally geared. Since its a dot based spec you will likely lose if going against a high burst class/spec unless played properly.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    Mage is not at all lowest dps of all classes. Dps wise or total damage wise. You should use Rift Meter and/or just look at warfront results it would help. I, however, dont know the skill difficulty since I dont have a high enough lvl mage....yet.
    In pve it is the lowest of all the dps classes. In pvp its not the best but not the worst either. If you're judging how good a class is in pvp by ae damage on a meter then you are sadly mistaken.
    Last edited by Learan; 03-31-2020 at 07:38 PM.

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Learan View Post
    Yes warlock can peak high in certain conditions but its mostly fluff ae dmg. Warlock 1v1 requires los and utility to beat other classes who are equally geared. Since its a dot based spec you will likely lose if going against a high burst class/spec unless played properly.




    In pve it is the lowest of all the dps classes. In pvp its not the best but not the worst either. If you're judging how good a class is in pvp by ae damage on a meter then you are sadly mistaken.
    You described every dot spec ever in the game vs. a straight burst dps class. I was totally assuming you knew how to play to your souls intended style to beat other souls. If you want to play facetank I already mentioned the extreme 1 vs 1 harb version. You want your dotting lock to have burst like souls that dont have any powerful dots? You are cherry picking which soul you refer to when talking mage viability, which is flat out ridiculous since its harb version is the epitome of 1 vs 1.

    This is pvp thread. Your next sentence starts, In pve. I mostly ignore such statements since Im talking pvp only. That being said, most its dps is single target with some added fluff IF you spread dots. Ive played since beta and play multiple dot builds so I completely know I would spread dots only in a match where the enemy team has good heals, just to make the healer split heals. Other then that Id focus down one player at a time because it does have some burst. Dots, if you know anything about them, are tricky because they really only start to tick when you apply 5 or so. Then you move into your channeled burst. Locks also have it great that one CD on 20 seconds applies all dots and another ability adds hurt by reapplying all dots at once. I.e. with such options your actually quickly burning down an enemy in 3 buttons.

    Almost ALL geared locks have at least as many kills as deaths. This is because dots ARE very good damage and keep ticking long after your dead, enough damage that a lot of kbs are gained because the dots literally will take most of a players life with just one button, let alone addrd continued attacks. The good locks usually have high kbs and little to zilch deaths. Thats because they kill fast and know how to not stand in the middle of a wf. Also some are built for HP and know their dots will quickly wear a target down while they can take a lot of punishment. Take a look at Sirsnakeyes hp and you will see what I mean.

    I didnt need rift meter to know how quickly and how much damage a good lock dishes out. I easily see my health bar.

    The weakness of a lock is a good healer that has aoe cleanses, but not a lot of healers left that know when and why to use those vs. straight heals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts