+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
Like Tree187Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Pvp / pve / both. Anyone ever polled this?

  1. #1
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    458

    Default Pvp / pve / both. Anyone ever polled this?

    Just wondering How the current active population of rift is split and if it is possible to have 'user' polls in rift forums? And has it been done?
    Before you say 'do it yourself' - i have no forum skillz and im on my sons ipad so its hard enough just typing words..

    Tldr: do pvpers get proportional dev time in rift?
    I think i know the answer
    Sklub Captainblood Opezmode Dpsclericlol Coad

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horgrym View Post
    Tldr: do pvpers get proportional dev time in rift?
    I think we're past the point of caring about whether or not pvp'ers are getting proportional dev time. It's more about whether whatever little dev time we're getting is spent wisely.

    What were the last 2 big/important changes we've had in PVP?
    1) When they removed half the maps (and made plans to rotate them on a weekly basis)
    2) When they put them back on (and scrapped those plans)

    So whatever little time it took to achieve that, it was ultimately pointless and only managed to make the pvp worse for a few months, when we only had 4-5 maps to play in.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    458

    Default

    I guess im curious why pvp gets so little attention.
    Maybe only 1% of the playerbase are pvpers?
    And The 'attention' we get makes so little sense.. Its not real development.. Mostly removing stuff.
    I agree its about quality And quantity. We get neither. Why trion? Why?
    Sklub Captainblood Opezmode Dpsclericlol Coad

  4. #4
    Shadowlander Koldir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horgrym View Post
    I guess im curious why pvp gets so little attention.
    Maybe only 1% of the playerbase are pvpers?
    And The 'attention' we get makes so little sense.. Its not real development.. Mostly removing stuff.
    I agree its about quality And quantity. We get neither. Why trion? Why?
    Probably because the PVP aspect of the game doesn't generate enough revenue to get on TRION's high priority list.

    You can tell Trion has limited resources when their budget for a loading screen of the new expansion is so low( I mean, just look at the quality of the loading screen... ). As a company they need to make money, so to justify the resources needed to make those pvp related changes, they'd either need to have a lucrative budget that can cover every aspect of the game; or implement changes that can generate more revenue from pvp - which kinda contradicts with the tone they have set for the game ( fair f2p ) .
    Phemi/Arrana/Arram/Arrama the Cookiekiller of Seastone
    all your cookies belong to me ! rawrrr

  5. #5
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    561

    Default

    I would even tolerate ingame advertising if it would result in PVP being looked at seriously due to gained resources. Heck, I would welcome it with open arms. Come on, put some coca-cola and Red-Bull billboards in a arena-style WF! ...Or just some popup...
    Last edited by Xlavius; 06-19-2017 at 12:39 AM.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Devs have scrapped pvp over time and done nothing to revive it. As another above said, all they've done majorly is remove half the maps, then put almost all of those maps back into rotation months later. ( Rip port scion, thanks Vladd ,I.. )

    Rift doesn't generate enough money for Trion to devote much time or care to, and I see it as a direct result of themselves. Straying away from the Sub2play model and removing 99% of PVP has dropped their income and their player base to almost dead. As far as the new Devs go, they are nothing compared to the old Devs that left for greener pastures. These Devs only add fluff to the store, do quick fixes that ruin other things, or scrap what they can't easily script.

    TL : DR
    Getting a Rift Dev to care about PVP is a pipedream. Be happy there's at least a few unbalanced wf's. They could have easily scrapped the remaining 1% of content instead of just removing half the maps for half a year.

  7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    The RIFT take, based on what Devs have said several times on livestreams:

    This is not a PvP-centric game. the proportion of RIFT players who delve into PvP in RIFT was never very high. It makes no sense to invest more time in something that a very small percentage of the population will ever use.
    We recognize that those who feel that a specific aspect of a game is missing will migrate to games that offer it. That is fair and expected.

    It is impossible to satisfy all playstyles equally in all games - that is why so MANY games can achieve a level of success in the marketplace.

    I am a huge fan of PvP myself, and enjoy romping around Warfronts for fun. I recognize that there is no specific 'gain" to be had, but fun is why we play games. If I want more of a PvP challenge, I run off to play ArcheAge or other PvP-centric games, but I always come home to RIFT, because that is the game where I have the most fun overall.

  8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlavius View Post
    I would even tolerate ingame advertising if it would result in PVP being looked at seriously due to gained resources. Heck, I would welcome it with open arms. Come on, put some coca-cola and Red-Bull billboards in a arena-style WF! ...Or just some popup...
    Cue the vast majority of players who would decry the advent of advertising in sacred game spaces. I've worked around and with games that have experimented with in-game sponsored ads. it has not worked well to date... I don't think you'll see it come to RIFT, but who knows what the future will hold while we're busy telling kids to get off our lawns. =)

  9. #9
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Cue the vast majority of players who would decry the advent of advertising in sacred game spaces. I've worked around and with games that have experimented with in-game sponsored ads. it has not worked well to date... I don't think you'll see it come to RIFT, but who knows what the future will hold while we're busy telling kids to get off our lawns. =)
    I realize that. It was just a manner of expressing the awful things I would endure to see Rift PVP rejuvenated. Then again, an advertisement during warfront loading screens in exchange for a few new maps and new gear / objectives would be a super-sweet deal.

    Hang on though... That vast majority of players can't really be many if Rift's PVP playerbase has never been very high to begin with.

    Imho, Rift only became a PVE centric game when they started investing less and less in PVP. Heck me and my friends were lured in by the fun open world PVP and PVP rifts. Oh those days were such fun. I ganked people, and people ganked me. It was excellent!

    And I think that the PVP player base isn't really that small. Where does the forum outcry about balance issues come from? Because it's there where balance matters the most, and imbalance has the highest negative impact. How many benched PVP players are doing PVE now just to pass time?
    Last edited by Xlavius; 06-20-2017 at 02:45 AM.

  10. #10
    Telaran Lelouch Vi Britannia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    It makes no sense to invest more time in something that a very small percentage of the population will ever use.
    Then do eternal gear make sense?

    We were told they are ultra rare and only a handful of people (which may probably be lower than PvP population) will get their hands on eternal gear (the ones that drop, not quest weapons),
    then why spend quite a huge amount of time and resources on them?
    Last edited by Lelouch Vi Britannia; 06-19-2017 at 11:28 PM.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Gilgad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lelouch Vi Britannia View Post
    Then do eternal gear make sense?

    We were told they are ultra rare and only a handful of people (which may probably be lower than PvP population) will get their hands on eternal gear (the ones that drop, not quest weapons),
    then why spend quite a huge amount of time and resources on them?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

    What baffles me is how trion has this weird fixation that instead of making people want to spend money via listening to the community & making updates and changes based on what people want, rather than what is in the best interests of milking cash and pushing their player-base away. (i'm not saying the staff, you know, the company trion).

    Let's make things absurdly grindy or add a skip button for $. Was even explained by Brasse herself. MMO's have deteriorated to the point where it's not about what the community wants, how a company can make players want to spend money, make them happy etc. It's how to make players unhappy, by putting a happy goal far away stuck behind things that make them unhappy, to alleviate the unhappiness you can spend $.

    The only MMO that I believe doesn't do this is Old School Runescape. 100% kudos to them.
    Last edited by Gilgad; 06-19-2017 at 11:37 PM.

  12. #12
    General of Telara Sheo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    The RIFT take, based on what Devs have said several times on livestreams:

    This is not a PvP-centric game. the proportion of RIFT players who delve into PvP in RIFT was never very high. It makes no sense to invest more time in something that a very small percentage of the population will ever use.
    We recognize that those who feel that a specific aspect of a game is missing will migrate to games that offer it. That is fair and expected.

    It is impossible to satisfy all playstyles equally in all games - that is why so MANY games can achieve a level of success in the marketplace.

    I am a huge fan of PvP myself, and enjoy romping around Warfronts for fun. I recognize that there is no specific 'gain" to be had, but fun is why we play games. If I want more of a PvP challenge, I run off to play ArcheAge or other PvP-centric games, but I always come home to RIFT, because that is the game where I have the most fun overall.
    TBH we would be happy if some precious dev time would be spent on game breaking bug-fixes (like rogue chain CC or warrior bugged CC), and addressing instagib abilities.
    Sheona/Faynee <VANEN> , <Apotheosys>

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    The RIFT take, based on what Devs have said several times on livestreams:

    This is not a PvP-centric game. the proportion of RIFT players who delve into PvP in RIFT was never very high. It makes no sense to invest more time in something that a very small percentage of the population will ever use.
    We recognize that those who feel that a specific aspect of a game is missing will migrate to games that offer it. That is fair and expected.

    It is impossible to satisfy all playstyles equally in all games - that is why so MANY games can achieve a level of success in the marketplace.

    I am a huge fan of PvP myself, and enjoy romping around Warfronts for fun. I recognize that there is no specific 'gain" to be had, but fun is why we play games. If I want more of a PvP challenge, I run off to play ArcheAge or other PvP-centric games, but I always come home to RIFT, because that is the game where I have the most fun overall.

    I dont mean to be insulting and i wouldnt post if i didnt care, but it seems to me that rift is slowly failing, dying, shrinking etc..
    So, you guys tried to make a pve centric game and it hasnt gone great.
    Would you consider changing your focus to pvp to see if you guys can make a good pvp game?
    Plenty who post on here feel you have the essence of an above average pvp experience..
    The genre has an all conquering pve title but it doesnt really have a great pvp game.
    Go on, give it a shot!
    Sklub Captainblood Opezmode Dpsclericlol Coad

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser Malackye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horgrym View Post
    I dont mean to be insulting and i wouldnt post if i didnt care, but it seems to me that rift is slowly failing, dying, shrinking etc..
    So, you guys tried to make a pve centric game and it hasnt gone great.
    Would you consider changing your focus to pvp to see if you guys can make a good pvp game?
    Plenty who post on here feel you have the essence of an above average pvp experience..
    The genre has an all conquering pve title but it doesnt really have a great pvp game.
    Go on, give it a shot!
    Good post. Going to piggyback on it. Yes, Trion, you should shift your focus a bit to be more pvp-centric. What is better, a few more pvpers enjoy your game, or just have those people leave? Yes, you didn't intend to make a pvp game. Ive stated this on many threads. But the fact is, you guys have some of the best pvp out there and would wipe the floor with all the other games if you shifted your own thoughts about it and gave pvp some love. Why not enjoy that fact instead of just shunning the idea? The idea that you guys just ignore that fact is kind of mind boggling.

    I think its time you guys shifted your priorities........

  15. #15
    Shadowlander Ganky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    45

    Default

    To touch on what Gawd said:

    I believe that was your mistake Trion. That is, not grasping the opportunity you did have. Instead of continually neutering PVP since 2.7, you might have embraced it; threw the PVP community a few bones and in turn retained a large portion of the mass exodus that the rest of us are still witnessing today.

    Focussing your attention on PVP for a change couldn't hurt at this point. There's still a PVP community out there somewhere, just waiting for a good reason to come back. Unfortunately, we've yet to see one.
    HOP IF YOU ARE BAD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts