+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xclvsive

Thread: Gearing up for PvP

Plane Touched

Default Gearing up for PvP

I wanted to have an up-to-date conversation about how to properly gear for PvP in the current state of the game. It seems to me that the quality of the PvE gear available is good enough to justify using it in PvP, but perhaps that isn't true?

First of all, armor. The armor you get from raids these days has, IMO, fully surpassed all the slayer gear you can buy with favor now that even the endurance of PvE gear is greater than the endurance found on slayer gear. The synergy crystals for PvP still seem to have a slight edge over the PvE synergy crystals, but if you have to wear a set of crappy slayer gear to activate that (gear that is across the board worse, in terms of dps / healing output AND survivability), is it even worth it anymore?

The eternal weapon quest grants you a weapon that is superior to anything else in the game which makes it pretty clear that the slayer weapon combo that gives you a 5% PvP damage boost just isn't worth it anymore.

And as for fragments, lots of people have pointed out how infrequent a PvP frag drop is, and rarer yet is the PvP fragment that is actually worth using. I have a noob question with war frags: are they guaranteed to level up with PvP-exclusive stats? And also, aren't block and guard completely irrelevant stats in PvP? It seems like if you want to build up a PvP frag set, you should focus primarily on frags that have endurance / dodge as the main stats which you can easily find in any other activities that reward you with frags. It seems to me like the smarter route here is to collect up frags from raids and planar assaults and everything else and hope for the ones that have endurance / dodge and plug those into your PvP frag set. Most of the PvP frags I have found seem pretty silly.

Your thoughts? If I'm totally wrong on any of the above, feel free to flame me to your heart's content lol. I just want to get the discussion going.

Soulwalker

Pvp gear is unbolstered, Pve gear IS bolstered.
    All* pve gear is bolstered to a set stat level that is lower than Slayer's pvp gear.
    *(some pieces dont get bolstered, like earrings for rogues/warriors)

What that means is that it doesn't matter what pve gear you have on, even whites with no stats. It all becomes the same stuff. Eternal wep gets bolstered and loses it's proc, sometimes even staying that way after the wf, in open world.

For fragments people usually make a full bad set of pve frags and upgrade the 1 very rare decent drop of a WAR fragment they get, every long once in a while from spamming wf's. Also, t1 frags dont drop for pvp yet, so a pve death frag is the only option for most. Fragments share the same bolstering, so filling your frags with endurance/dodge will actually be worse than the bolstered bad frags, because then you will have end/dodge but no other stats.

What you see is what you get with pvp gear/fragments, while pve is lower than shown.
    There is a reason to grab those blues.
    Last edited by HavagudwunSeeyuh; 05-17-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Ascendant

Don't get fooled by higher stats on PVE gear, it's all bostered and rendered subpar.
    A level 1 PVE weapon with 2 DPS will deal the same damage in PVP as an eternal weapon, which is : Less than the Slayer weapons.

I'm not aware of the pve earrings shenanigans mentioned by HavagudwunSeeyuh, but assuming you don't bother with that and go full PVP, you want to go with
    3 slayer weapons
    4 slayers pieces
    3 ascendant pieces (upgraded from boxes)
    Box cape, earrings, neck, rings and trinket
    PVP seal, crystal and focus from the store
    6 dropped essences (doesn't matter if they're lesser or greater they have the same potential stats, at the moment anyway).
    You can put runes on 2 weapons, your seal, and leggings. You can dreamorb your helm and belt.
    And there's a reliquary you can craft(recipe in Allitu) for a quick heal/crit boost.

As for the fragment, as HavagudwunSeeyuh said, just use a full PVE set (stats don't matter, so use bad ones) until you find a pvp one worthy of upgrade in a box, then try your luck and if it's good replace one of the PVE one.
    I've heard Trion talked about changes in the fragments system so maybe I'd wait on that. 11 PVE will not do much worse than 10 PVE and 1 good PVP one anyway, doesn't make that big a change.

And I've pvp'ed like crazy since the xpac and found like 2-3 fragments worth upgrading so it's not really viable at the moment. Unless you're filthy rich and don't mind upgrading a bunch of subpar frags in hope that one of them turn into a diamond.
    Last edited by somerandomnamee; 05-17-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Champion of Telara

Check these threads out. They're still valid as far as I know.

Gear

Fragments
    Archy Mage, Face, Prime, Primal Rouge, Rogue, Eric, W, @ Laethys --- Nefarious ---

Yeah to go along with what those guys said, aslong as the most recent pve gear is still following bolstering laws (I haven't tested it) then all pvp gear is far better then what you can get anywhere else.
    ~Xclusive

I am realy starting to think that atm with the low pvp population the gear separation was a bad idea,i used to pve so i could get better gear to pvp and now i spend my time waiting as much as 10 m for solo Q to pop maybe my elo as something to do with it but before ali had always something to do to improve my gear and atm i find myself with jack sht to do in between...raids where not that bad, i would get gear and to be usefull to the raid i had to know my spec and classe in deph and as a result my pvp skills have improved as well so i ask in particular someone i do respect a lot...looking at you X whts your opinion on the matter...sry about my english and for not sticking to the threads point.
    Last edited by bollesti; 05-17-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.

Soulwalker

The gear separation was a good idea. What sense does it make to do pve to get better at pvp or vice versa?
    If you want to gear pvp, do pvp. The lack of content to do is Trion's fault for removing 90% of the pvp content. All we have left is spamming wf's or the rare world kill on seastone.
    If you want to get an edge in pvp, use the lvl 65 trinket. Only viable pvp gear outside of the 70 blues if you are already lvl 70

Ral
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xclvsive View Post
    Yeah to go along with what those guys said, aslong as the most recent pve gear is still following bolstering laws (I haven't tested it) then all pvp gear is far better then what you can get anywhere else.
    As HavagudwunSeeyuh mentioned above (and I also mentioned in another thread) there seem to be some possible exceptions. As far as raid level gear I can confirm, the upgraded TD rogue earring and the upgraded Carnival event rogue earring are not bolstered (the are the same resist and presumably the same item level). I am not sure if either or both are intended.

Don't have the engines to test many other TD upgrades, but the upgraded TD rogue chest piece does get properly bolstered as well as all unupgraded rogue pieces (including the unupgraded earring) I have got so far. Have not tested any iRoTP drops.

There will likely be a ring available from Summerfest in 6-8 weeks, given the Carnival earring is unbolstered, it may also be unbolstered and likely TD or iRotP quality.

Other then raid level gear the blue crafted earrings give better main stat, but less endurance then the pvp box drops and are not bolstered, unless I just haven't found the best jewelry yet.

Would be great if others could check their drops/upgrades from raids and report what, if any, other exceptions may exist.
    Last edited by Ral; 05-18-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ral View Post
    As HavagudwunSeeyuh mentioned above (and I also mentioned in another thread) there seem to be some possible exceptions. As far as raid level gear I can confirm, the upgraded TD rogue earring and the upgraded Carnival event rogue earring are not bolstered (the are the same resist and presumably the same item level). I am not sure if either or both are intended.

Don't have the engines to test many other TD upgrades, but the upgraded TD rogue chest piece does get properly bolstered as well as all unupgraded rogue pieces (including the unupgraded earring) I have got so far. Have not tested any iRoTP drops.

There will likely be a ring available from Summerfest in 6-8 weeks, given the Carnival earring is unbolstered, it may also be unbolstered and likely TD or iRotP quality.

Other then raid level gear the blue crafted earrings give better main stat, but less endurance then the pvp box drops and are not bolstered, unless I just haven't found the best jewelry yet.

Would be great if others could check their drops/upgrades from raids and report what, if any, other exceptions may exist.
    If there are any items that aren't pvp obtained & unbolstered, then i would presumably think its a bug. If you could make a list of the ones you know about and pm it to me ill test it out.
    ~Xclusive

The warrior earrings from the event also apparently ignore the pvp bolster completely due to being named "warmonger". I guess anything under that name is automatically flagged as a pvp item.
    Harrisonford

Ral
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xclvsive View Post
    If there are any items that aren't pvp obtained & unbolstered, then i would presumably think its a bug. If you could make a list of the ones you know about and pm it to me ill test it out.
    So i have been checking some alts and other gear, there seems to be a few classes of non-pvp items that are not bolstered and some other anomalies:

Blue quest gear (requires Level 64 to equip) is not bolstered (specifically the mage belt "Sinisterly Inscribed Belt"). However green quest gear (requires Level 64 to equip, 225 hit) is bolstered up (specifically mage wand "Wand of Ash").

Green world drop gear (requires Level 70 to equip, 250 hit) is not bolstered. Blue world drop gear (requires Level 69 to equip, 225 hit) is also not bolstered. However blue world drop gear (requires Level 70 to equip, 250 hit) is bolstered down. Blue world drop gear (requires Level 68 to equip) is bolstered up.

Blue rare mob drop gear (requires Level 69 to equip, 225 hit) is not bolstered (specifically Detector's Talisman, Surveyor's Vestment, Surveyor's Trousers). However purple rare mob drop gear (requires Level 67 to equip) is bolstered up (specifically Exquisite Inquirer's Footwraps).

The rogue blue crafted earrings, Ahnkite Stud, are not bolstered. However the mage blue crafted earrings, Ahnkite Bauble, and the blue crafted mage rings, Ahnkite Treasure, are bolstered down. These all require level 70. Other level 70 blue crafted gear such as the Tebebrean Samite (cloth) Armor and Bolidium Spellcutter are bolstered down. The blue crafted level 66 Starweave Cape (mage) is bolstered up.
    Last edited by Ral; 05-19-2017 at 10:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread