+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By czevak

Thread: Mounting in PvP

Default Mounting in PvP

I have a proposal: disable the ability to mount in all warfronts.

A little history,

Back in pre SL rift, most people were running mounts at 60%-100% speed. In Codex for instance, the time it took for a someone to reach a contested point was much greater than it is now, due to the slower speed. This meant that a lot of the time,when you were defending a point, it would first be a 1v1,2v2 etc for some time before the enemy team descended on the point. This in my opinion created lots of smaller scale fights that were far more rewarding than the current situation we have now. I'm sure we are all aware of the time it takes now for a zerg to descend on a point. I believe that it is partially related to the mount speed increase, and mount cast time decrease, with no corresponding increases in map size.

Additionally, if this change is implemented, it would render speed builds, or sprints in general much more important, and open up some variety in the current specs we see now. Because with the mounting system as it is now, everyone has the same mobility.

So, to remedy this in the hopes of creating more fun, exciting combat, I think that Trion should disable mounting in warfronts, or increase map sizes to suit the current mount speed. I know which is easier to implement (probably) but I'd like to hear your thoughts, and if there are any advantages to keeping the situation as is.
    Last edited by czevak; 03-24-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Extra

agree, mounts move way too fast for the size of current maps.
    ~Xclusive
    ~Ominous

Agreed.

/10chars

dcf
    Soulwalker

Thumbs up

yes great idea

Not sure i'd disable them but i'd probably nerf the speed to cope with the fact that wf's weren't designed with 165% in mind.

I think mounts are fine the way they are in wfs atm.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rgizil View Post
    I think mounts are fine the way they are in wfs atm.
    Same...
    Allowing for a faster reaction time allow for (slightly) higher skill ceiling imho. If you see a group of players going to cap a point but you can't even mount up and get there before they do it, you'll pretty much spend all time on a point defending it. Just stay there the whole game and it's just a dps/hps fight, no strats whatsoever.

Being able to move fast from a point to the other allows people to 3cap when a team they can't outfight just park 12 guys at dex. But they can't do it if it takes them 30 seconds to go from one point to the other everytime the enemy team react and attack one of their 3 points.

And aside from the strategic perspective... Walking is boring as hell. You want people to spend most of their time in WF attacking stuff or defending stuff. Walking around is boring, whether you're walking back&forth to points, or just walking out of spawn.

If the maps are too small I could understand a small speed adjustment or something, but no mount in pvp would be really bad.
    Fast paced = good.

There are enough maps without mounts that it is a fair enough split already.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 03-26-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Ok, so looking at the replies, some are for and those against,are mostly against because of reasons of being away from the fight for too long looks like. I have some more ideas though, and i'd like to keep this discussion going, because I think there are more ways to tinker with pvp without playing with class balance.

For instance,

instead of the mounts, what if when a point is captured, the attackers in a radius around the flag receive a speed buff a la blue ball that persists for say, 30s. Potentially, defenders who are not on the point when it is contested could also receive this buff. Using combat abilities will remove this buff. This would allow the aforementioned 3 cap strat to continue, and still reward those who play objectives with greater mobility and ability to affect the warfront.

i mention blue ball because atm in dex for instance it is quite useless.

something along these lines of rewarding the players playing in the vicinity of the objective with speed, or rejuvenation or even the damage buff would force fights onto objectives.

you could also give both teams the same buff at the beginning of the warfront, called charge or something to start the fight quicker and save some more time.

limiting mount speed to 90% in the relevant warfronts could also work,

As it is now, you can have a rewarding fight on statue, say, and the enemies can respawn defiant side and arrive again before you mop up and still prevent a cap.

Discussion welcomed,
    - Raqd

+ Reply to Thread