+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: PvP in Starfall Prophecy

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default PvP in Starfall Prophecy

Hey folks,

Starfall Prophecy draws closer, and there is a ton of stuff coming that will impact all RIFT players. We wanted to take a moment and share some of the details about PvP specific content, beyond the Legendary Powers and Planar Fragments that we’ve already covered.

We’ll reset ELO scores with the launch of Starfall Prophecy. That gives everyone a chance to start fresh, and earn scores that relate to their skills now, without any impact from historical data. Make the most of it!

PvP Content
    In RIFT there are three broad types of PvP content: Open World, Warfronts, and Conquest (not counting other ways players can engage in PvP, with things like duels and PvP Dimensions). Within each of these types are multiple activities, leading to spreading out both developmental resources and the PvP population. By far the most popular form of PvP in RIFT (currently and historically) have been Warfronts, with all other types of PvP trailing WFs by a significant margin.

Within Warfronts there’s also a big spread of 11 different types of maps/modes, each with their own win conditions and means of awarding points. Different teams will often employ different strategies from match to match on the same map, depending on both team composition and personal preference. This is an enormous amount of information to learn and understand; someone who is interested in joining the PvP community has to learn a lot of different WF Maps, how CQ functions, why certain abilities are preferred in PvP over PvE, how certain abilities differ in scale of effect from PvE and PvP content, and why they keep getting jumped on by Assassins while trying to quest on Seastone or Bloodiron. It has proven daunting and frustrating for many.

In short, the amount and variety of content makes getting new folks into PvP way harder, and makes it less fun to play with newer members of the PvP community while they try to learn the myriad of details needed just to function at a basic level in PvP. We’ve not even begun to talk about finer strategy or what team compositions are dominating the metagame at the moment. As PvP is very much a group activity, anything which makes it harder for new people to get involved also makes things less fun for people currently involved.

So how do we plan to address these issues in Starfall Prophecy? We’ve decided to streamline the amount of PvP content that is available at any time. This makes it easier to learn what to do in PvP, and makes the experience richer, more fun, and more rewarding for all participants.

In Starfall Prophecy, PvP in RIFT is about Warfronts. While we love Open World PvP and Conquest, focusing our attention (and yours) means better PvP. During normal weekdays we’ll have the following Warfront Maps open:

· Codex
    · Black Garden
    · Blighted Antechamber
    · Library of the Runemasters

We plan to rotate maps in and out of this list over time, as well as special event weekends where a specific map not on this list is opened. This maintains variety, but keeps the options to a much more manageable level.

PvP Queues
    At launch, we’re going to expand the top level PvP Queue to include the 65-70 level range. Everyone participating will be mentored to level 70, and all gear(aside from Warmongers items above the bolster limit, see below) will be bolstered. This is to provide the maximum opportunity for everyone to participate in PvP as folks go through the leveling process. In the future, we have plans to introduce a high level PvP Queue that functions more similarly to the 65 queue now, but that will come after launch.

PvP Itemization
    One frequent topic of discussion since the launch of Nightmare Tide has been PvP itemization, and how PvP items compare to downbolstered items that exceed the limits of item power in PvP. In Starfall Prophecy, PvP will continue to be itemized in a manner similar to how it is now, with one very important addition.

One thing that was added with Update 3.7 that we hadn’t discussed yet was the ability for items to ignore bolster limits. Currently the only items that this applies to are Warmonger’s Trinkets, since they are actually more powerful than the current bolster ceiling allows. We plan to continue to expand on this in Starfall Prophecy. Warmonger’s gear that is of a tier that would normally be downbolstered will ignore the bolster ceiling and continue to utilize their full stat potential in PvP. New Warmonger’s gear will be the best items in a given slot for PvP.

Which items we make available and how many slots they will occupy is still being finalized, but Warmonger’s gear will be extremely desirable for those seeking maximum effectiveness in PvP. New tiers of Warmonger’s gear will continue to roll out as we introduce more powerful content and release new tiers of normal gear to continue this trend.

Better PvP For All
    Together, these three changes, along with raising the level cap, Legendary Powers, and Planar Fragments, represent an opportunity for us to address many of the issues that we’ve heard from you about how you would like to see PvP progress. Better matches, better teammates, and better items all combine to a better PvP experience in RIFT.
    Last edited by Ocho; 10-12-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Thank you for the update!

I'll say that I am sad to see PvP being cut back dramatically in the foreseeable future, instead of being revamped and expanded somehow.

I would still love to see what happens with Conquest pre 4.0 if the 5 man pm limit was reset back to a 20 man cqpm. and/or if worthwhile items were added to the conquest chest.

respectfully,
    Shenoah
    Shenoah@Deepwood
    GM - Hello Kitty
    ~how did I end up here, again?~

I'm quite avid to see what the [ELO] "reset" will bring as I discussed in an earlier thread, along with other mentioned PvP content. Star Prophecy is promising and I'm sure many will enjoy what it has to offer.

~ Esca
    Escadora@Deepwood/RIFTWorlds, an alluring and elegant Rogue...
    Guild <-Hello Kitty->
    Director of PvP Social@RIFT Community
    -Slowing down Time and defeating the problem-

We’ll reset ELO scores with the launch of Starfall Prophecy. That gives everyone a chance to start fresh, and earn scores that relate to their skills now, without any impact from historical data. Make the most of it!
    Will there be "seasonal" resets for Elo or will the Elo earned during SFP exist until the next expansion/level cap increase?

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Will there be "seasonal" resets for Elo or will the Elo earned during SFP exist until the next expansion/level cap increase?
    This is something we are considering. Not for launch, but a possibility down the road.

Soulwalker

From someone who does majority PVP and mostly solo queing how is this helping the PVP community......to me it seems choice has once again been dramatically reduced......

With regards to the gear...are you saying that our current gear will be less worthy than that of warmongers? did i waste my time grinding?

Sadly there isnt any group pvp left apart from the odd premades in wfs....now that CQ has been reduced to 5 man.......maybe you should look at bringing the 20 man or even 10 man groups back then maybe you will resurrect some renewed interest.

Plane Walker

So elo reset and maybe a bolster system that works? Nothing else? Seem pretty sad :/
    Strikes@Typhiria Impossibruu@Typhiria Huhuhuh@Laeyths Strikez@Deepwood Primes@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by britlamia@msn.com View Post
    With regards to the gear...are you saying that our current gear will be less worthy than that of warmongers? did i waste my time grinding?
    Usually your gear is worthless going into an expansion since you'll replace that once you hit the new level cap. That being said: Did you purchase SFP?

Soulwalker

Default SFP pvp

So the same as 3.0 then, just Elo reset to provide some relief for a couple months to those who know the struggles of high Elo. No mention of balance, new maps would've been nice, or maybe a real pvp gear line instead of an occasional item on the rift store. 4 active maps instead of 11 may help the new players but im sure it wont get old. Maybe just get rid of pve marks from pvp weeklies if this content is not getting any support.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    One thing that was added with Update 3.7 that we hadn’t discussed yet was the ability for items to ignore bolster limits. Currently the only items that this applies to are Warmonger’s Trinkets, since they are actually more powerful than the current bolster ceiling allows. We plan to continue to expand on this in Starfall Prophecy. Warmonger’s gear that is of a tier that would normally be downbolstered will ignore the bolster ceiling and continue to utilize their full stat potential in PvP. New Warmonger’s gear will be the best items in a given slot for PvP.
    Will these use the Warmonger's Marks currency available at 65 right now? Would we be able to save these up to prepare for 4.0?
    Myred & Associates, a Deepwood PLLC
    dba TedCrooz@Deepwood; Mjirth@Deepwood
    Keeper of the Corgi Mask < -Hello Kitty- >
    #SeastoneBestStone, but never forget #DeepwoodBestWood

Good. ELO has needed a reset, I'm glad this is happening.

So how do we plan to address these issues in Starfall Prophecy? We’ve decided to streamline the amount of PvP content that is available at any time. This makes it easier to learn what to do in PvP, and makes the experience richer, more fun, and more rewarding for all participants.

In Starfall Prophecy, PvP in RIFT is about Warfronts. While we love Open World PvP and Conquest, focusing our attention (and yours) means better PvP. During normal weekdays we’ll have the following Warfront Maps open:

· Codex
    · Black Garden
    · Blighted Antechamber
    · Library of the Runemasters

We plan to rotate maps in and out of this list over time, as well as special event weekends where a specific map not on this list is opened. This maintains variety, but keeps the options to a much more manageable level.
    I don't like this at all. It feels like you are strangling the remaining pvp base into certain content. I much rather go back to the older ones (i.e. BG, Codex, Library, PS, Whitefall, Karthan on 24/7 with the newer ones (Ghar, Blighted, BT, Domination maps) as the random ones.

PvP Queues
    At launch, we’re going to expand the top level PvP Queue to include the 65-70 level range. Everyone participating will be mentored to level 70, and all gear(aside from Warmongers items above the bolster limit, see below) will be bolstered. This is to provide the maximum opportunity for everyone to participate in PvP as folks go through the leveling process. In the future, we have plans to introduce a high level PvP Queue that functions more similarly to the 65 queue now, but that will come after launch.
    oh good lord. This is going to be a serious problem. Even if you bolster them up, its going to be a farmfest. 65's shouldn't be playing with max level'd players. They are going to get farmed unless you get bolstering perfect and even then, the HP pool is going to be extreme.

PvP Itemization
    One frequent topic of discussion since the launch of Nightmare Tide has been PvP itemization, and how PvP items compare to downbolstered items that exceed the limits of item power in PvP. In Starfall Prophecy, PvP will continue to be itemized in a manner similar to how it is now, with one very important addition.

Which items we make available and how many slots they will occupy is still being finalized, but Warmonger’s gear will be extremely desirable for those seeking maximum effectiveness in PvP. New tiers of Warmonger’s gear will continue to roll out as we introduce more powerful content and release new tiers of normal gear to continue this trend.
    At least it looks like PvP gear is going to be more relevant.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    The Real Rift Community Discord! Check It Out!
    Check out the New Rift Reddit! https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORift/ Be Constructive!

Rift Master

I must say I am quite dissapointed. I was looking forward to some interesting changes/additions, not a scaling back of content. I was hoping for a CQ revamp but it wasn't even mentioned : /
    My perception of the skew in numbers to activities is because CQ is such a negative experience at the moment not that warfronts are particularly amazing. That is just my view anyway.

Sorry Ocho I don't mean to be all negative but I was just expecting something else than this

Bali

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Usually your gear is worthless going into an expansion since you'll replace that once you hit the new level cap. That being said: Did you purchase SFP?
    I think it should be further explained that the current tier of Warmonger's gear isn't the same as the new tier.

You don't have to upgrade the level 65 set to get the level 70 one. I think that is where the confusion is. Both the current and the new is called Warmongers.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    The Real Rift Community Discord! Check It Out!
    Check out the New Rift Reddit! https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORift/ Be Constructive!

If you're going to have 65-70 being a thing, stats need to be normalized 100%. No tiers.

Everyone needs to be on equal footing.
    Last edited by McChaffe; 10-12-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    Kaleshnikove@Faeblight [Bounty]: Retired
    RIFT ON REDDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORift/

Interesting.

I agree with PvP gear being the most powerful gear in PvP. The question remains why it took Trion this long to make it so though >.>

About the Warfronts, I'm not sure this is smart. I mean, honestly, RIFT is not a complicated game. Do not underestimate people's intelligence. Anyone is perfectly capable of figuring out how a warfront works. Whether people can be bothered is something else, and there lies the problem.

When people who don't care about PvP do warfronts only for the daily reward, likely they won't care enough to think about how a warfront works and how they can contribute most. They just want to get it over with. This has always been the reason for the big quality decrease in PvP between SL and NT. A reduction in the amount of warfronts will not fix this. People who don't care and just want the reward, will still not care and just want the reward. Unless Trion also removes the PvE currency from warfront dailies, but I fear it's far too late for that. From what I saw when I last played, there would barely be anyone left in PvP if the PvEers were taken out. Everyone who truly cared about PvP left already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast