+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: Best of Nightmare Tide

Shield of Telara

Needs a special column for forum pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Lol, even when the list is very inclusive, I don't make the cut. ;)
    don't worry, i'm sure someone will be along shortly to argue that your 22 points in FK is enough to count.

We need a 'not great but pretty good' list and perhaps a 'best dressed' and 'prettiest'.

Who will be the best in 4.0 when Rift pvp makes its great comeback? We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    The use of 'best' is what makes the list contentious to some. I personally don't put much stock into such lists, since everyone will have a different opinion on which traits to value and which players best represent those traits.

If the thread were titled The Powerhouses of Nightmare Tide, I don't think anyone would have any reservations or quibbles, other than to add a name or two. I myself would add Pending, as he is the only DPS in the current meta to smash me from 100% to 0% before I even realized I should be using my big CDs. Diolixis too, since I've seen him rock the healing and DPS aspect of the soul (not that the ability to heal with a mage is a high bar with FK).

If I were to make a list of which players I considered the best, it would consist only of those that I have personally witnessed shaping the outcome of the WF via: their excellent map/battle reading skills: their attention to objectives and the ability to foil my sneaky attempts to cap; their ability to take advantage of map features to confound those with lesser knowledge; and their ability to creatively use features of certain souls (pulls, speed, CC) to achieve results greater than the intended purpose of those abilities.

Such a list would include players like Kronos (in all of his known and unknown alts), Cayzer, and Epicbeardman, just to name a few. Their influence on the success of a Warfront far exceeds their gear scores, and that to me is the defining feature of the best.

No insult is intended to the powerhouses that populate Xclusive's list, of course. I do recognize a few of those names from encounters in the WFs and I certainly agree that they are juggernauts on the battlefield. Some of them may even qualify for my list of 'the best' as well as being juggernauts. These are players I'd certainly prefer to have on my team than on the other side of the field.
    Most people are on there because they play the objective, whilst pvping. The difference is, Kronos is a one trick pony. He can only play the objective, he doesn't pvp well against good players. If you find him in a black garden fang he's nearly useless. Cayzer I haven't noticed to be great, runs specs with warchanter in them and runs around self healing. Epic... Well it's epic. He's not as good as the rest of the list IMO.

If I were to make a category for tanks kronos would definitely be on it, because he's one of the best ones in the game to have on your team. But personally I don't believe tanks should even be in pvp. But that would dumb down pvp one more level.
    Last edited by Xclvsive; 09-20-2016 at 07:06 AM.
    ~Xclusive

Shadowlander

Default It is hard to identify

I expect the debates on what define as "good PvPer" to be hard. To be honest, the line between doing objectives and topping leaderboards in order to get a win is pretty thin. Moreover some people are known to be good just because they are active and keep a high profile in chats while some are not.

I also know some people that are real good pvper like fatalattraction ( a great cleric),cayzer and darkdaemon (these warriors know at least what they are doing as solo; discrediting them due to their raid gears is a sad excuse since we can still find potatoes with raid gears now be real ), and munchmatoast. The point is some people have different perceptions on what define as good pvper and who is a good pvper and that is not bad.

Increasing the awareness and recognizing these people hopefully can revitalize the pvp in Rift fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xclvsive View Post
    But personally I don't believe tanks should even be in pvp. But that would dumb down pvp one more level.
    This is exactly what I was referring to when I said this game only cares about sprinters and swimmers.
    Rift simply doesn't know what to do with tanks in pvp. It's pvp designed by a ganker for gankers.
    about as much depth as side scrolling street fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    This is exactly what I was referring to when I said this game only cares about sprinters and swimmers.
    Rift simply doesn't know what to do with tanks in pvp. It's pvp designed by a ganker for gankers.
    about as much depth as side scrolling street fighter.
    Some play side scrolling street fighters better than others
    Last edited by Xclvsive; 09-20-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    ~Xclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Xclvsive View Post
    Most people are on there because they play the objective, whilst pvping. The difference is, Kronos is a one trick pony. He can only play the objective, he doesn't pvp well against good players.
    It seems there is a major discrepancy in what raiders call pvp and what most dedicated pvpers call pvp. I say most because there were always the guys who's only objective was leaderboard kills or the duos or premades that always played together.

What I see most often, now that Guns For Hire has been gutted, is clump vs clump, which really boils down to gear vs gear. The clump on one side clashes with the clump on the other side, typically in the middle of the warfront. That works out well for classic BG if one team remembers there is a fang there. For most other warfronts, especially domination, it does not work out well at all. The gear vs gear people are not going to break from the pack to cap or carry anything on their own. If they did, they might not get top heals, dps, or kills.

The sad part as far as ELO and prestige is some wf leaderboards don't even register objectives, and for solo players who play a lot of pvp, ELO is not going to increase much even if they are the only ones on their team doing anything constructive.

So if pure clump vs clump or gear vs gear is pvp to you, why are you guys not playing more team CQ or 5v5 BG? The only reason I can think of is that the public leaderboards are what's important to you, and your version of "good" is who has the best gear.

You're certainly not focused on winning or objectives. I played a KG yesterday with your crew, and personally capped 2 out of 3 of the objectives and won the wf for our team. Not that anyone noticed, as most of you were clumped mid, aoeing each other to death.
    Last edited by Azuli; 09-20-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    ~Belisama

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Azuli View Post
    It seems there is a major discrepancy in what raiders call pvp and what most dedicated pvpers call pvp. I say most because there were always the guys who's only objective was leaderboard kills or the duos or premades that always played together.

What I see most often, now that Guns For Hire has been gutted, is clump vs clump, which really boils down to gear vs gear. The clump on one side clashes with the clump on the other side, typically in the middle of the warfront. That works out well for classic BG if one team remembers there is a fang there. For most other warfronts, especially domination, it does not work out well at all. The gear vs gear people are not going to break from the pack to cap or carry anything on their own. If they did, they might not get top heals, dps, or kills.

The sad part as far as ELO and prestige is some wf leaderboards don't even register objectives, and for solo players who play a lot of pvp, ELO is not going to increase much even if they are the only ones on their team doing anything constructive.

So if pure clump vs clump or gear vs gear is pvp to you, why are you guys not playing more team CQ or 5v5 BG? The only reason I can think of is that the public leaderboards are what's important to you, and your version of "good" is who has the best gear.

You're certainly not focused on winning or objectives. I played a KG yesterday with your crew, and personally capped 2 out of 3 of the objectives and won the wf for our team. Not that anyone noticed, as most of you were clumped mid, aoeing each other to death.
    the entire point of his argument is that you wouldnt have been able to cap those points if their "crew" wasn't roflstomping the enemy team mid. That's what he's pointing out, if you're THAT good at this game in comparison to the others, then the opportunity cost of you capping instead of killing is higher, making it a less worthy investment of time to go around right clicking flags.
    Also, for that gear vs gear argument, I'm not saying that gear is irrelevant, but if you've been watching Smashed stream on NA on his mage in **** gear, he's STILL on top of the leaderboard every game, and has an insanely high winrate, even for someone with raid gear. GEAR < SKILL in wfs, unless it's small scale where the stats can entirely overcome the skill.
    Last edited by Averwinge; 09-20-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    Averwinge - Hailol
    #1 PvP Phys WW

We should call them "one trick ponies" when bulling their way through the opposing clump is all the know how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Averwinge View Post
    the entire point of his argument is that you wouldnt have been able to cap those points if their "crew" wasn't roflstomping the enemy team mid. That's what he's pointing out, if you're THAT good at this game in comparison to the others, then the opportunity cost of you capping instead of killing is higher, making it a less worthy investment of time to go around right clicking flags.
    Also, for that gear vs gear argument, I'm not saying that gear is irrelevant, but if you've been watching Smashed stream on NA on his mage in **** gear, he's STILL on top of the leaderboard every game, and has an insanely high winrate, even for someone with raid gear. GEAR < SKILL in wfs, unless it's small scale where the stats can entirely overcome the skill.
    Didn't quite work out that way for the opposing star sprinter from his list on the screenshot I posted earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Averwinge View Post
    No one was roflstomping anyone. Both teams were completely oblivious to the rest of the map. In fact, it was quite obvious that most people there were not looking at the map or using recon vials. If my team was in fact killing the other team, I would not have been able to cap the last objective in front of their spawn point, as they would have all come streaming down from it and stopped me.

plus, Classic KG doesn't have flags. It IS boring to run around capping stuff when there is no opposition. I would much rather play with two good teams who are playing smart and doing their killing where it counts. It takes no skill to stand in one spot and aim in one general direction.
    ~Belisama

Rift Disciple

Didn't quite work out that way for the opposing star sprinter from his list on the screenshot I posted earlier
    i tried really hard to read the screenshot, you gotta post to imgur to have a reasonable resolution
    Averwinge - Hailol
    #1 PvP Phys WW

Rift Disciple

No one was roflstomping anyone. Both teams were completely oblivious to the rest of the map. In fact, it was quite obvious that most people there were not looking at the map or using recon vials. If my team was in fact killing the other team, I would not have been able to cap the last objective in front of their spawn point, as they would have all come streaming down from it and stopped me.

plus, Classic KG doesn't have flags. It IS boring to run around capping stuff when there is no opposition. I would much rather play with two good teams who are playing smart and doing their killing where it counts. It takes no skill to stand in one spot and aim in one general direction.
    being able to backdoor doesn't take some insane amount of skill, it's just depending on the fact that you're moving faster (eg. kronos) or the other team isn't dying (eg. a good healer). you shouldn't consider yourself a good player because you grabbed a stone and ran away from a fight while everyone was distracted.
    All in all, that's just ONE warfront as an example. I've personally seen everyone on the list focus on objective in a game they want to win, but even that, there is no incentive TO win anymore. the only reason to pvp is to enjoy yourself, killing the enemy team. playing the warfront to win objectively only benefits those who need gear, who are not the top 1% of players mentioned on the list.
    Averwinge - Hailol
    #1 PvP Phys WW

Rift Disciple

if those players entirely focused all of their efforts on winning, they would have I can promise. nobody cares enough about ELO to sit around and stare at a point for the entire warfront, that would be even more torture than rift pvp already is.
    Averwinge - Hailol
    #1 PvP Phys WW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast