+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wonski
  • 1 Post By Nefelia
  • 1 Post By Zalenak

Thread: A Personal Look at Warfront Matchmaking

Plane Walker

Default A Personal Look at Warfront Matchmaking

With warfronts being the focus of this week's 5th anniversary event, I decided to do some personal testing to see what matchmaking was really like to the average player. In essence, I'm planning to see how many warfronts I can win or lose when I put my best effort into the match and spec in roles that will maximize my team's efficiency. I will also focus on objectives more so than PvP, though whatever decisions I make in the warfront will be simply to my best, subjective judgment to win the match.

From this "testing", I'm hoping to provide a clearer perspective as to the frequency of outcomes expected when queuing into a warfront.

This isn't really much of a formal experiment, as there are a lot of factors I will neglect to account for. For one, I believe that gear-wise, I belong to the top 10-15% of people who queue into warfronts, whereas experience-wise I would like to say I've played enough games throughout my time in Rift to be in the top 20-25%. I would consider myself, then, to be an above-average player who knows how to play every map and can contribute in some way to the victory of my team. I'm probably one of the few ragers in the game as well, so how that affects team-play is well, idk, welp ;A; (though largely I intend to keep quiet unless I'm coordinating the team in some way, using /rw to indicate a point that's under attack, etc.)

Some parameters:

I intend to prepare myself for each warfront by applying all the necessary consumables (Spongy Padding, Crustacean Armor, Weapon Aegis, Sharkskin Chaps, Spongy Insoles, Coral Whetstones, Powersurge Vials, and maybe a Feast) before entering.

Additionally, I intend to play:
    1. Assassin on KR Domination
    2. Marksman for ST and Saboteur for AoE on most other maps (unless the team size is small and there is only 1 healer available for a Ghar Station Eyn Map, to which I will play Ranger) and
    3. Physician when there is no healer-1 healer in a team of 5-10 or when there are 2 healers-3 healers in a team of 10-15 (the exception is when playing Assassin on KR Domination or when there are no healers in a team of 10-15, to which I will stay DPS)

I also intend to solo queue in, as I've mostly solo queued my matches apart from instances where people have invited me to PM. They will also be randomly queued matches and not specific.

So far, I've played 25 matches with 11 wins and 14 losses. I'm largely ignoring the time of day when certain players are on, since I can't be on Rift 24/7, but I'll try to play during "normal" server hours and not so much in the evening since that's when people go raid with their guildies. Morning-afternoon server time is when I'll largely be playing then, though I may make exceptions by playing in the late evening/early morning.

Some initial impressions:

1. Queuing into matches that have already started contributed to significantly more losses than wins. Additionally, it's just irritating to be put into a match that is already lost from the get-go.
    2. For every win, I get put into a string of losses, either 2-3. On the rare occasion that I get a string of wins, it is because I have already been put into a winning match the second time around.
    3. I have not yet noticed any significant difference between PM and pug teams, save for one or two matches. I'm assuming that later in the week I'll go against a PM team that will faceroll in some capacity, though there are only a few that can really do so, if multiple PMs are balanced between the two teams.
    4. I have not opened any Marauder Supply Caches, as I will be doing that all at once at the end of the week to tally up the frequency of drops for my rogue.

So yeah, I'll continue to update this thread with screenshots, and hopefully all the matches I've recorded will provide some useful data to somebody about how warfronts are matched and what kind of rewards people can expect with however much time they choose to put into PvP in a live scenario.

I've put some notes alongside each screenshot:
    1. The first number is the number of the match
    2. The next two numbers represent the score upon entering into the warfront; The first number will always be the score my team has
    3. The sequence concludes with a win-loss designation and/or some notes about the match
    4. You will also see my ELO (omg) for full transparency. PvP is a casual thing for me, and there are plenty of times when I left matches because I wanted/needed to do something else either inside or outside of Rift. However, I don't go AFK unless I've been disconnected by my internet, which happens quite frequently as well. Furthermore, I don't really think my ELO represents anything apart from that, nor do I find it particularly helpful/harmful to my matchmaking, since I can do well individually regardless of whatever score there is. I also play random warfronts back-to-back, so I will inevitably end up with a poor win-loss ratio, much unlike a certain McGregor who queues once every month for KR Domination. In any case, idgaf

First 25 Matches

Matches 26-50

Matches 51-75

Note: Again, idk if this TL;DR, but I'm just putting this out there in case this is useful to somebody. In any case, it's a good way to keep track of how I'm doing this week for tickets, so hopefully this is a win-win. Again, this thread will be updated with more screenshots of ALL the matches I queue into.
    Last edited by Wonski; 03-25-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Wonskee@Deepwood - Dark Malice PvP Guide - Griefer PvP Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

Ascendant

I also play random warfronts back-to-back, so I will inevitably end up with a poor win-loss ratio
    Is there a reason for this? I tend to queue back-to-back for the simple reason that it is the fastest way to get into the warfronts. How is this any different from specific queue or waiting a few minutes between queues?

Regardless, at this point ELO is wonky at best.

Once you are done your experiment, I would be interested in your observations on how to best effect the specific warfronts as a healer. That is something I am still always seeking to refine. For instance, I find I win far more Karthan Ridge and Whitefall matches if I take a more active role in capping the cores and stealing the stones from the enemy base.

Oddly enough, however, the Library matches in which I steal runes from the enemy's sides tend to be losses ore often than they are wins. I'm assuming the matchmaker is specifically queuing me there to be a healer, and my absence from the middle has a negative impact that is greater than the benefits I bring by stealing the enemy's 'home' runes.
    Last edited by Nefelia; 03-23-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Is there a reason for this? I tend to queue back-to-back for the simple reason that it is the fastest way to get into the warfronts. How is this any different from specific queue or waiting a few minutes between queues?

Regardless, at this point ELO is wonky at best.

Once you are done your experiment, I would be interested in your observations on how to best effect the specific warfronts as a healer. That is something I am still always seeking to refine. For instance, I find I win far more Karthan Ridge and Whitefall matches if I take a more active role in capping the cores and stealing the stones from the enemy base.

Oddly enough, however, the Library matches in which I steal runes from the enemy's sides tend to be losses ore often than they are wins. I'm assuming the matchmaker is specifically queuing me there to be a healer, and my absence from the middle has a negative impact that is greater than the benefits I bring by stealing the enemy's 'home' runes.
    To be honest, idk how waiting in-between queues affects your win-loss ratio. Specific queue means that you could just queue up for whichever warfront suits your class best, and I mention Karthan Ridge Domination because that's the map that Assassins do best on. For other classes, it's more of the fact that you're avoiding the maps which are particularly tricky like Port Scion and Bronze Tomb, in addition to KR Domination or BG Domination if you're not Rogueish. For Guns, you'll probably get to avoid doing matches other than the ones required for the quest, so depending on the day (weekends, Wednesday restart, last-minute turn-ins, etc.) you can avoid potatoes/afkers who simply want to get their charges/weeklies done.

I don't think that waiting like 10-15 minutes in-between queues (or doing every other WF) really affects your win-loss ratio. Initially I thought the matchmaking system will try to "balance" every one of your wins with a loss, so that's where waiting long periods of time in-between warfronts would theoretically subvert that system. More likely, though, that's a load of BS lol.

I do think, however, that if you don't queue for warfronts often, whatever other factors alongside your ELO that are calculated into matchmaking will eventually favor you and put you on winning teams instead of losing ones. This is just a guess, though.

In terms of healing, I really have no idea lol. I already set myself up with some rules so that I would heal whenever healing is needed and not necessarily spec as a healer for every single warfront that I enter. This is based purely on initial composition from the start of the warfront, and to me that has been the best indicator for whether or not I should be in a healing spec or not, regardless of the map.

So I will heal if I'm the only/second healer in a team of 5-10. I will heal in a team of 10-15 if there are only 2-3 healers (though this is depending on which classes are healing/what their gear looks like, etc.). I won't heal in a team of 10-15 if there are absolutely no healers or one other healer, since it will be more efficient to simply stay dps and try to nuke the other team down. If we wipe to their 3-4 healers, I'll eventually ask the raid if we could get more healers if it's early enough in the match, which'll prompt me to switch to a healing spec as well.

I'll definitely let you know what maps are best for healing/how to heal for certain maps with more data c:
    Last edited by Wonski; 03-23-2016 at 06:14 PM.
    Wonskee@Deepwood - Dark Malice PvP Guide - Griefer PvP Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by paragonfury View Post
    wtf??? I simply asked for the ultimate one button tempest macro without both torrents, not a fricken story book u nerds.
    \_(ツ)_/

Shadowlander

I don't believe in "matchmaking" anymore.

i think it's more of team willingness nowadays with one or two exceptions, one being gear disparity.

there's so many inconsistencies with matchmaking ideas that it's just best to continue and accept that you may lose more than you win. it may be stressful at times but it's how it is.

i think the only true way to make it "matchmaking" is if people entered a warfront with premade gear and stats all equal to each other then it'll really be about who can focus and press buttons better (skill, lol)

with all that being said, i'm glad you're giving it your all despite the state of pvp. people can learn a lot from this though, even if you lose you should be absolutely sure you gave it your all.\

edit: looking forward to seeing your future progress heh
    Last edited by Zalenak; 03-23-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Soundwave@Greybriar
    Zalexus@Greybriar
    Shockpulse@Greybriar
    Galaxies@Greybriar
    Particles@Greybriar

I'm not patron so I can't specific queue anymore, I also never queued only for KR Dom. I (much like every other pvper i know) queued for dex, kr, kr dom, bg dom and whitefall, playing sin on bg dom and kr dom with occasional sin on dex if enemy team is camping dex. my win% has gone up about 1% from ~53 to ~54 since the queue change. I also rarely wait for the next queue. That was for people who QQ about being against same players or continually having already started matches, which I rarely see.
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 03-24-2016 at 06:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread