+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By somerandomnamee
  • 1 Post By Kronos v
  • 1 Post By littlepoit
  • 1 Post By Ninnisina
  • 2 Post By littlepoit
  • 2 Post By somerandomnamee

Thread: Devs : Why not add a (very basic) gear requirement to queue for warfronts?

Ascendant

Default Devs : Why not add a (very basic) gear requirement to queue for warfronts?

(edit, just in case the staff might have made this confusing, this is someone in a level 65 warfront)

http://img129.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_727lo.jpg

This is ridiculous. This is a complete "I don't give a ****" attitude that even if you dismiss the gear spect of the game, this guy will NEVER give any effort in a pvp game. He's not even willing to make a minimal effort to gear up, why would he try to win the game ( against people who severely outgear him, due not only to him being a fresh 65, but also due to him being a lazy ****? ).

The guy even has the earring slot unlocked but couldn't even bother getting 2 of them. Who cares heh?

1 earring missing, no synergy crystal, no planar essence, level 50 weapon, no rune, no orbs... The staff will get bolstered so it doesn't REALLY matter, but again it just shows he doesn't give a ****.

These people should NOT be allowed to play. If you're not willing to put ANY effort into trying to improve/help a team win, you should not be allowed in.

The guy could literally improve his raw stats by like 25% or so just by farming 2-3 sarleafs and sell them to buy a crap earring, then 500 planarites to buy level 10 essences that would get bolstered to ephemeral anyway.

If you're not willing to do that, you don't deserve a spot in a team activity.
    Just go solo in tarken or whatever. Althought he most likely could not kill a level 65 mob with that crap. But pvp, sure, whatever!

--

You have a system already designed to keep failures out of the LFG queue... Why not just use it (or even just a watered down version) for PVP?
    I'm not saying people should get to 1200 hit before being able to queue, I'm reasonable, but... That guy is just not even trying.

If people won't try by themselves, you have to force their hand. Same reason why the LFG requires a certain HIT, some main stat requrement, and to have all soul point spent. Because you don't want someone who's not giving a **** and won't pull his weight to come in a challenging dungeon that requires everyone doing their part, right?

Well, we don't want that in our pvp games either.
    (and worst of all, he had the guts to complain about someone else's spec in the game, then got butthurt when he was called out on his - lack of - gear )
    Last edited by somerandomnamee; 02-15-2016 at 07:19 PM.

saw a cleric in a few warfronts a couple of weeks ago - at level 65 - with costume gear equipped as gear, no focus, nothing at all in the slots on the right, lowbie trash gear as weapons....

needless to say that player was not an asset to the team.

also, the name was pretty much a random string of letters.... nothing even remotely resembling what might be considered a name.
    Last edited by Kronos v; 02-15-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

blame bolstering. it should work on empty slots and give you some minor stats increase to compensate for runes ....etc.bolstering is better than nothing at the moment but barely.

there is no question that PvP would be more interesting with gear normalization. how do you achieve that when the gear grind frustration is how trion makes its money.

Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    blame bolstering. it should work on empty slots and give you some minor stats increase to compensate for runes ....etc.bolstering is better than nothing at the moment but barely.

there is no question that PvP would be more interesting with gear normalization. how do you achieve that when the gear grind frustration is how trion makes its money.
    If you remove all gear advantage from PvP... what will be left of PvP? and while you're at it why not normalize Souls and specs and everything so that everybody has the exact same base stats?!

PvP is as much about progression as PvE is, I want my gear and effort to obtain it count.
    If you are not bleeding then you are not trying hard enough

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnisina View Post
    If you remove all gear advantage from PvP... what will be left of PvP? and while you're at it why not normalize Souls and specs and everything so that everybody has the exact same base stats?!

PvP is as much about progression as PvE is, I want my gear and effort to obtain it count.
    There are generally two ways mmos have set successful precedents regarding gear in pvp- either gear being a negligible factor (GW2 for example) or providing gear progression supported ENTIRELY by pvp (WoW, SWTOR, etc).

Most likely the subject in question in the original post is simply checking out pvp- most (if not all) of us did before we were geared to the hilt.

Particularly when you have to consider how many activities are required that have NOTHING to do with pvp to generate competitive gear, can you blame them for wanting to investigate a little pvp beforehand to see if its even worth the trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnisina View Post

PvP would just be better with gear normalization. throw in cosmetics and show off items as rewards for high achievers/ top grinders, that will definitely motivate the crowd without breaking the system. MMO have a lot to learn from MOBA.

and please don't over interpret my sayings : i am the absolute defender of the soul and specing system.... this is why i still play rift so much. but i do believe players should be equals when PvPing or be able to achieve equality (aka bis gear) within a time span that doesn't discourage the majority. normalization or a slightly beefier bolstering system wouldn't break anything besides trion's finances.
    Last edited by littlepoit; 02-16-2016 at 12:30 AM.

PvP would just be better with gear normalization. throw in cosmetics and show off items as rewards for high achievers/ top grinders, that will definitely motivate the crowd without breaking the system. MMO have a lot to learn from MOBA.

and please don't over interpret my sayings : i am the absolute defender of the soul and specing system.... this is why i still play rift so much. but i do believe players should be equals when PvPing or be able to achieve equality (aka bis gear) within a time span that doesn't discourage the majority. normalization or a slightly beefier bolstering system wouldn't break anything besides trion's finances.
    It's been done before by Trion and other games (and worked just fine). Better normalization and a few extra (non-game breaking) perks to who dedicate their time to pvp/or sometimes even crafting. This make for fun and fair gameplay.

However to answer the OP.

Trion wants to establish a major difference is its gear. They want you to feel super weak while fresh so that spending rex for that earrings T2/MW gear doesn't seem like such a bad thing. The problem with that, is you get more frequent wildly unbalanced matches. And ruin the integrity of your game imho.

Ascendant

Well, like Ninnisina, I would say that I like the progression system in MMO's. I like to improve my gear just by doing what I enjoy most in the game, so not only (hopefully ) I improve my own game skills, but also my stats, making me more effective the more I play.

I think this is a fine system ( albeit a bit too long currently, with the warmonger weapons, but that's a different point ).

And I don't think that "MMO's have to learn a lot from MOBA's"... There's a reason why some people play MOBA's and some people play MMO's despite doing nothing but PVP (which turn the game into basically a MOBA, only, with gear progression). The PVP itself is fun, but it's also fun that after 2000 games, your character is much more powerful than it was.

In fact even in some MOBA's, sometime there's a "leveling" aspect in the game, which makes your character a bit stronger as you play. The game is fun at first and also after lots of games, but improving your character/hero is always fun.

I've probably played over 5000 pvp games (counting 'now' and when I played at release, before taking a break) and to be honest I don't think I would've played so many if there was no gear progression.

I get the general idea behind gear unification... everything's fair, only skill matters!
    But the problem is that it kills progression. And a lot (if not simply the majority) of the players who opts to try an MMO instead of a MOBA are players who DO want that progression system.

2 different philosophies I guess, and I don't think there's a right and wrong...
    But that being said, I do not think it's fair to blame the system in place for **** up like these.

Like it or not, this is the game he choose to play, and in that game, you (should) have to spend a whole 5 minutes to fill in your slots. If the guy is not willing to farm an NMR for literally 1 wave just to buy essences that will get bolstered to ephemeral, the game is not at fault here.

We're talking EXTREME MINIMAL EFFORT here.
    If he's not even willing to do that, you can't really think he'll give his 100% in a game, right?

As I said in my last post I'm not expecting the game to put an extreme requirement to join the game, but this guy, come on. It's just stupid.

The MINIMUM requirement should be, all gearslots filled. (aside from the earring - thanks paywall - and synergy crystal, I guess).
    Ah, I'd probably add "1 rune or dream orb". On any item. Just to make people realize these are important, and also super cheap (again, just talking basic runes here, they go for pennies in the AH).

These requirements are very loose, and it would literally take that guy 5 minutes to get them done. Regardless of his approval/hatred of the current system... If he's not willing to spend these 5 minutes to play, he's a worthless lazy ****, and he's most likely gonna be a worthless lazy **** even when he's fully geared. Hence, I don't want him anywhere near a pvp team. At least prove you're able to do some MINIMAL effort to improve your character&help your team.

And at last ( to reply to someone who said something like "maybe he just wanted to try pvp out to see what it was like )... the guy knew enough about specs to complain about some guy on our team who was playing ranger and had a tank pet on. While this does not require extensive knowledge to know what souls/skills are good/bad in pvp, it almost certainly was not his first lvl65 character, and probably not his first pvp game either, was most likely an alt or something.

His weapon drops from a Cape Jule quest, so might have been a returning player who got powerleveled to 65 (somehow without finding any gear in the process?!) and would not even bother buying a few things despite having paid most likely a lot to get PL'ed... yet felt he had the right to complain about other people in his team not playing the right way
    Last edited by somerandomnamee; 02-16-2016 at 04:33 AM.

I know this guy, he got severe twitch skillz and only by playing almost naked do we mortals get close to his uberness and pose any form of challenge.
    H / K O X B O X

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    Sounds like this may be me, no I'm not a bot just have a higher density of fast twitch muscle fibers compared to the average human

+ Reply to Thread