+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nefelia
  • 1 Post By query

Thread: Instand Queues For Terrible Matches

Ascendant

Default Instand Queues For Terrible Matches

Not all of the matches have been bad. Many have been terrible lopsided affairs, and some have even been rather even. And yet, I've been having a rather bad experience regardless.

Why?

Probably because my alt with 67,550 HP and 11k SP (upbolstered) is dealing less than half the damage of most enemies he encounters. The end result is usually a quick, futile, and rather frustrating death and a lack of fun in matches that I would otherwise be enjoying.

The queues for random WFs are popping very quickly. Even too quickly, since I can't even find the time to do some basic maintenance between WFs.

At peak times where the WF queues are popping like mad, Rift would benefit from a more robust matchmaking system that splits the queue into ranks. The veterans (on their mains) would be happy, the noobs/alts would be happy, and people could get a moment to manage their minions and other housekeeping details between matches.

Heck, new and undergeared PvP players might actually feel like more than walking Bloodthirsty procs and decide to stick around (this increasing the PvP population).

For your consideration,
    Nefelia

Would welcome some more balance within wfs, yeah it's awful with a fresh alt. I'm really confused though that you're complaining that pops are very fast. Just do your maintenance before you queue up then? I never queue for anything unless I'm ready for it. Fast pops are always great But yeah if there's enough players to fill up wfs very fast then I'd rather wait a tiny bit and have a more enjoyable match.

The question is, could Trion get this right? Not very hopeful from the current state of things. In which case, give me fast pops any day over some new latest version of imbalanced.

Ascendant

As long as you have are gear slots filled, it's not that bad...
    Plus you gear up fast as hell ( well the basic gear, that is ), with an item every 2 wins on average (so 1 item every 4 games).
    You can get an almost full basic suit in about a week if you play a lot.

Sure you won't get 25-0 and stuff like that like the BiS people out there, but you can do your part.

If you have a solid build, you SHOULD be able to do something.
    PVP games aren't always decided by stats anyway, just being at the right place/doing the right thing is often better for your contribution, than having a full set of T3, yet most people are out of place about as often as they are in the right place.

If you can't get reasonable stats (games like 3-1, or 5-4, stuff like that) you're doing something wrong, even in basic gear. Might be your build, or your play. You have to be more careful as a fresh 65 of course, not only you are squishy as hell ( and not bursty enough to make up for it ), also the healers won'T focus you because they'll heal the ViP's more.

Play a bit behind, don't run in solo (if play codex, vault doesn't exist for you) because anything will kill you 1v1. But if you stick with the team and hit whatever they're hitting? Your DPS makes a huge difference, even if it's not as high as them. Focus fire is the key here.

And if nothing works, you can always play support. Bard, heals, help the great players/geared players on your team do even better than they usually do.

You should be able to get 10 kills once in a while as a fresh 65, and 15-20 once in a while with the basic set of gear.

Get a good build, fill all your gear slots, rune it up, dreamorb it up, play smart, and the bolstered gear is more than enough to be valuable. Not top tier player, but you can do ok.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mazoga View Post
    Would welcome some more balance within wfs, yeah it's awful with a fresh alt. I'm really confused though that you're complaining that pops are very fast. Just do your maintenance before you queue up then? I never queue for anything unless I'm ready for it. Fast pops are always great But yeah if there's enough players to fill up wfs very fast then I'd rather wait a tiny bit and have a more enjoyable match.

The question is, could Trion get this right? Not very hopeful from the current state of things. In which case, give me fast pops any day over some new latest version of imbalanced.
    That was my ever so subtle way of pointing out that players will not be frothing at the mouth in impatient rage if they have to wait more than 10 seconds for the queue to pop. Short queue times are definitely awesome, but not if they come at the price of good match-making.

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomnamee View Post
    As long as you have are gear slots filled, it's not that bad...
    Plus you gear up fast as hell ( well the basic gear, that is ), with an item every 2 wins on average (so 1 item every 4 games).
    You can get an almost full basic suit in about a week if you play a lot.

Sure you won't get 25-0 and stuff like that like the BiS people out there, but you can do your part.

If you have a solid build, you SHOULD be able to do something.
    There is a far greater amount of luck involved when you are playing a wee toon or are a complete noob to Rift PvP.

Some matches I go 8-4, or 3-1, or 5-2 as a baby Shaman helping out the big boys get the enemy dead. Other matches I go 0-4, 0-5, 0-7, but at least I can comfort myself with the fact that I was putting pressure on the healers and doing my part towards getting the win. In quite a few other matches, it is simply an infuriating squish-fest on my part as I constantly and consistently run into people who overpower me and destroy me before I can get more than 15% off of their health bar.

It is hardly a game-breaking issue at the moment, but is (as it probably always was) a rather frustrating and unwelcoming experience for newer PvP players. A simple soft split of the queue based on ELO would likely go a long way towards making matches better for nooblings and veterans alike.

PVP games aren't always decided by stats anyway, just being at the right place/doing the right thing is often better for your contribution, than having a full set of T3, yet most people are out of place about as often as they are in the right place.
    Agreed, but sometimes in PvP one has to actually PvP. I'm as much a fan of back-capping and stealing the enemy's runes/eggs/etc, but sometimes you have to contribute in terms of damage and/or healing.

If you can't get reasonable stats (games like 3-1, or 5-4, stuff like that) you're doing something wrong, even in basic gear. Might be your build, or your play. You have to be more careful as a fresh 65 of course, not only you are squishy as hell ( and not bursty enough to make up for it ), also the healers won'T focus you because they'll heal the ViP's more.
    I am far from the best Shaman, but I am hardly the worst. I'd be more concerned about new potential PvP clients who are welcomed to PvP matches with opponents like Hundreds.

My first experience with Rift PvP was a few years back, and it was bad enough that I dropped right out and had no intention of coming back. It was only by later leveling up my Warrior alt through low-level warfronts that I discovered that it actually could be fun. That allowed me to push my Mage through the end-game gear grind to get somewhat competitive and enjoy PvP on my main.

I doubt many are going to be leveling through low level PvP now, given the lack of population down there to sustain regular matches. Would it be so objectionable to give newer players a slightly better playing field and a better experience?

And if nothing works, you can always play support. Bard, heals, help the great players/geared players on your team do even better than they usually do.

You should be able to get 10 kills once in a while as a fresh 65, and 15-20 once in a while with the basic set of gear.

Get a good build, fill all your gear slots, rune it up, dreamorb it up, play smart, and the bolstered gear is more than enough to be valuable. Not top tier player, but you can do ok.
    Or... improve the match-making system so that newer players are not driven to rage-quit and uninstall Rift. As a long-standing PvP player in Rift, I'd rather see new blood come in than drive them off with a terrible welcome.

Rift Disciple

I have a feeling matchmaking at certain bands of elo don't always produce a fair match up. It seems at higher elo's you tend to have less 'volatility' in player quality.

Rift Disciple

Something tells me if they tried to "provide better matchmaking" all it would do is increase the queue times and the matches would inevitably end up the same.

I think the underlying issue is population in general. All of it sounds good in theory of course, but once you put it into practice i'm not sure the results are you hoping for would ensue.
    dibs@pveshard
    RIP guyhax/horsesock

I wouldn't mind if Trion would do test weekends for things like this.
    Too often I read good suggestions but they get burned to the ground because people think it might suck, it might cause this or that, it might make some people angry. Yea, it might.

Test weekends would be great. There's not enough players on PTR for these things so bring it to live servers.
    I know I would participate. Anything that could possibly make the game more fun for everyone. I hate not being able to do things just because of the possibility that doing them MIGHT suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Not all of the matches have been bad. Many have been terrible lopsided affairs, and some have even been rather even. And yet, I've been having a rather bad experience regardless.

Why?

Probably because my alt with 67,550 HP and 11k SP (upbolstered) is dealing less than half the damage of most enemies he encounters. The end result is usually a quick, futile, and rather frustrating death and a lack of fun in matches that I would otherwise be enjoying.

The queues for random WFs are popping very quickly. Even too quickly, since I can't even find the time to do some basic maintenance between WFs.

At peak times where the WF queues are popping like mad, Rift would benefit from a more robust matchmaking system that splits the queue into ranks. The veterans (on their mains) would be happy, the noobs/alts would be happy, and people could get a moment to manage their minions and other housekeeping details between matches.

Heck, new and undergeared PvP players might actually feel like more than walking Bloodthirsty procs and decide to stick around (this increasing the PvP population).

For your consideration,
    Nefelia
    hear hear!

There are builds you can do just not DPS ones, When my mage was fresh I did Dom-troller for 25 straight games, not the best build but it works. Any healer spec is probably better than a fully gear DPS and so on...
    H / K O X B O X

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    Sounds like this may be me, no I'm not a bot just have a higher density of fast twitch muscle fibers compared to the average human

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by JICHAEL View Post
    hear hear!

There are builds you can do just not DPS ones, When my mage was fresh I did Dom-troller for 25 straight games, not the best build but it works. Any healer spec is probably better than a fully gear DPS and so on...
    Healing is definitely an option for the zerg-heavy maps, where you can stay at the back and spam AoE or ST heals while hopefully flying under the radar. Undergeared healers tend to fare rather poorly in domination maps, Codex, BA, and sometimes even Library.
    Last edited by Nefelia; 02-15-2016 at 12:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread