+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bolstering mechanic question

Ascendant

Default Bolstering mechanic question

I was gearing my last alt before going into PVP and I'm wondering...

How does bolstering work exactly? Does it raise all stats on an item to some levels, or does it just give you a 'preset' item to replace your bad ones?

If it's not clear, to explain what I mean, here's a scenario :
    If I have to choose between 2 planar essences (let's assume both are under the bolstering level ), should I use :

essence a) 1 STR 1 DEX 1 END 1 attack power
    or
    essence b) 50 DEX 50 PC

Will the bolster give me (say) 100 str 100 dex 100 end 100 ap for 'essence a' versus 100 dex 100 physical crit for 'essence b'? (in which case essence a would be wayyyy better, despite having horrible basic stats)?

Or will the first essence give say 50 all stats (200 total) and the other one 100 all stats ( still 200 total)?

Or will it just replace both by the the exact same predefined planar essence that might or might not even have the same stats of either basic essence?

that's like asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop...
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Aym @ Seastone
    GM of Stealthed Lives Matter

not so sure about essences, but the up bolster is essentially a "standard set" of gear. meaning it doesn't matter what chest piece you have equipped (lvl 10 spell power, lvl 50 crit power, or lvl 65 phys crit), all will be replaced by the "standard" up bolster chest. a "complete" set of bolstered gear would have all round balanced stats, not the crit power to cap then AP/SP than players aim for.

it is entirely possible that different essence slots bolster to different "standard set" essences, to maintain a overall balance between all slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Complete replacement.

Here are the old, 3.3 PvP bolstered stats. I'm currently working on an updated one for the current ceiling.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note: Weapon DPS is in fact affected by bolstered. The bug was fixed either in 3.4 or earlier (I can't remember).

Any runes and orbs you may have are carried over. Weapon enchantments are buggy at the moment, and may or may not apply.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 02-13-2016 at 12:05 AM.

Ascendant

alright, thanks guys!

Sword of Telara

I'm unsure how dream orbs are affected. Some of my investigations showed that they too were affected a bit.

Runes must surely carry over in all cases. I haven't tested it but I thought the difference would be noticeable enough.

Oh, and the trinket slot isn't bolstered at all for some reason.

Essence slots used to be identical, with a smallish amount of resist all in the upbolstered ones.
    Spellbook@Greybriar
    Rejuvenation@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

There are still too many unknowns with bolstering, it's annoying. In a game revolved around gearing, this information should be easily displayed to you in the game, and it should work how it says it does.

Most of my gear is bolstered, yet I haven't the slightest clue what to; or if all my weapon stones/runes/orbs bolster with it, and to what level.
    dibs@pveshard
    RIP guyhax/horsesock

+ Reply to Thread