+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Make tanks relevant in PvP WFs please.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6

    Default Make tanks relevant in PvP WFs please.

    The game requires tanks to complete raids, NTEs, and such. But clearly there is a shortage of them. Queue for an NTE as a tank, BAM you're in. Queue as a dps / support and wait wait wait...

    Same with raids. The harder part is finding solid tanks for the content.

    Well maybe it would help balance things if tanks could play their tank spec in WFs just like the healers heal, or the dps does dps...

    I enjoy playing tanks in MMOs. I've done it for 15+ years. I've managed to find a few specific situations on certain maps in WFs that they can be a good advantage (even if most people don't understand it and think the only thing to do in WFs is moar deeps).

    However there are a couple things that could be done to significantly help tanks have a viable role in WFs. I'm sure others can come up with more:

    Take the concept of Guard and extend it. Let a tank's Guard have a significant enough radius and effect of mitigating damage, to really have impact in WFs. WFs are always screaming for healers, because they are so key. Give tanks the same need. Let them provide shielding of damage to a point where they become a need too. It would bring a lot more balance back to PvP.

    Modify the damage they take more based on their armor / resists. So they really do become a 'tank' and not someone that takes 5 seconds to kill instead of 3...

    Let their taunt work on players. Give it a simple function that pulls the player to 'agro' them for some short period of time, before they can re-target someone else. Give it a buff / debuff type ability that can force players affected by single or AE taunt to have to target the tank.

    Do these things alone, and you could give the tank viable play in WFs / CQs.

    It would add back the variety of roles / playstyles to the PvP side of the game.

    In the end, finding ways to appeal to more playstyles can only help keep people interested in the game. And it may lead to more people taking the time to gear up that alternate gearset for tanking, which in turn would make more tanks available for the rest of Rift.

    Win / Win.

  2. #2
    Champion of Telara Hikos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    This is a joke right?

    Tanks need to be nerfed significantly in pvp.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Gilgad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Please buff Speedalist and Cancerbiter.

    EDIT: And Cancerknight.

    EDIT: And Unkillacabalisticar

    EDIT: And Interruptstalker
    Last edited by Gilgad; 02-04-2016 at 12:39 AM.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    The game requires tanks to complete raids, NTEs, and such. But clearly there is a shortage of them. Queue for an NTE as a tank, BAM you're in. Queue as a dps / support and wait wait wait...
    maybe if all tanks that currently infesting wf go queue for NTE the NTE queues would be shorter...maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    Same with raids. The harder part is finding solid tanks for the content.
    same as above

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    Well maybe it would help balance things if tanks could play their tank spec in WFs just like the healers heal, or the dps does dps...
    really how hard is in RIFT to respec your toon from tank to dps and to heal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    I enjoy playing tanks in MMOs. I've done it for 15+ years. I've managed to find a few specific situations on certain maps in WFs that they can be a good advantage (even if most people don't understand it and think the only thing to do in WFs is moar deeps).
    and you want a Nobel price in MMO's for that dicovery? Tank role in pvp is specific and mostly you will do better job as healer or damage dealer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    However there are a couple things that could be done to significantly help tanks have a viable role in WFs. I'm sure others can come up with more:
    if you want play tank go for it as you mention above ther is a shortage in tanks supply for pve content and you will find good group easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    Take the concept of Guard and extend it. Let a tank's Guard have a significant enough radius and effect of mitigating damage, to really have impact in WFs. WFs are always screaming for healers, because they are so key. Give tanks the same need. Let them provide shielding of damage to a point where they become a need too. It would bring a lot more balance back to PvP.
    Modify the damage they take more based on their armor / resists. So they really do become a 'tank' and not someone that takes 5 seconds to kill instead of 3...
    hmm that balance in pvp with your ideas will bring only healers in GOD mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    Let their taunt work on players. Give it a simple function that pulls the player to 'agro' them for some short period of time, before they can re-target someone else. Give it a buff / debuff type ability that can force players affected by single or AE taunt to have to target the tank.
    OMG you joking here right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    ...snip....Win / Win.
    more likely lose/lose
    Last edited by Hererismynick; 02-04-2016 at 03:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple Allegory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgad View Post
    Please buff Speedalist
    You mean Primalol.
    Allegory@Deepwood
    Nuances@Deepwood R.I.P <Nephilim>

  6. #6
    Plane Walker deathstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    403

    Default

    just returning now from when WL was considered OP and seriously think thats where tanks benchmark should be. not mediocre damage and impossible to kill like the tanks now but mediocre damage and very killable if focused.
    Last edited by deathstormer; 02-04-2016 at 05:39 AM.
    Deathion Reaperblade <Aspies> Warrior
    Lucifeera <Aspies> Mage

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser Croix01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Tanks are fine atm, IMO.They have their uses and contribute what they should. Neither buff nor nerf is really necessary I think.
    Niriena, Kearlet, Smilely, Rium

  8. #8
    Plane Touched AVGVSTVS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hikos View Post
    This is a joke right?

    Tanks need to be nerfed significantly in pvp.
    Oh I wouldn't nerf that would be unreasonable. the damage in pvp is pretty high atm unless you have full blown healers helping you a glass spec dies very fast. at least for warriors.
    Last edited by AVGVSTVS; 02-04-2016 at 11:54 AM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Rgizil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukgrol View Post
    The game requires tanks to complete raids, NTEs, and such. But clearly there is a shortage of them. Queue for an NTE as a tank, BAM you're in. Queue as a dps / support and wait wait wait...

    Same with raids. The harder part is finding solid tanks for the content.

    Well maybe it would help balance things if tanks could play their tank spec in WFs just like the healers heal, or the dps does dps...

    I enjoy playing tanks in MMOs. I've done it for 15+ years. I've managed to find a few specific situations on certain maps in WFs that they can be a good advantage (even if most people don't understand it and think the only thing to do in WFs is moar deeps).

    However there are a couple things that could be done to significantly help tanks have a viable role in WFs. I'm sure others can come up with more:

    Take the concept of Guard and extend it. Let a tank's Guard have a significant enough radius and effect of mitigating damage, to really have impact in WFs. WFs are always screaming for healers, because they are so key. Give tanks the same need. Let them provide shielding of damage to a point where they become a need too. It would bring a lot more balance back to PvP.

    Modify the damage they take more based on their armor / resists. So they really do become a 'tank' and not someone that takes 5 seconds to kill instead of 3...

    Let their taunt work on players. Give it a simple function that pulls the player to 'agro' them for some short period of time, before they can re-target someone else. Give it a buff / debuff type ability that can force players affected by single or AE taunt to have to target the tank.

    Do these things alone, and you could give the tank viable play in WFs / CQs.

    It would add back the variety of roles / playstyles to the PvP side of the game.

    In the end, finding ways to appeal to more playstyles can only help keep people interested in the game. And it may lead to more people taking the time to gear up that alternate gearset for tanking, which in turn would make more tanks available for the rest of Rift.

    Win / Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by AVGVSTVS View Post
    Oh I wouldn't nerf that would be unreasonable. the damage in pvp is pretty high atm unless you have full blown healers helping you a glass spec dies very fast. at least for warriors.

    ..............................................what am I reading..........
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Tanks already have some roles in warfronts...
    Ok it's more about "standing there carrying something/interrupting a cap and staying alive while taking a beating", but tanks main design was always "taking a beating" anyway

    Plus, even on the maps where tanks can't do much about objectives... With the current meta (aka ******s everywhere) I'd say if 2 teams are otherwise about even, the one with a tank moving in is probably the favorite.

    It doesn't matter if he has 120k hp or 160khp or if the game bugged and gave him A BILLION HP, when he moves in the enemy side, about half the players will target him, every single game.

    And if he loses ANY health at all, they'll stick on his *** until he dies because it's working!
    Even if the DPS it required to kill him would've wiped the entire enemy team (beside the tank).



    Now, that being said, I also think it'd be nice if tanks had more to do in warfronts, but not in the current state of the game... There's too many bad players who don't know how to focus. If at any point they HAVE to focus the tank down, it'll never happen (given that you need a LOT of focus to take down a crosshealed tank ), and if at some other moment they DON,T have to kill it, then the team just loses about 1/3 of its DPS, wasted on someone they'll never kill.

    If the average skill level was much higher it'd be fun if tank had more to do. But as it is now, it'd just be frustrating to constantly see half your team ignoring it when they have to burn him, or tab-targetting it when they should ignore it.

  11. #11
    Telaran Genri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    66

    Default

    tldr

    Tanks do not need buffed in wf's. Bad enough with dominator arbs running around trolling. Tanks already have a ton of health in pvp. Giving them all their tank stats would be ridiculous.

    Leave it as is imho
    Genrii@Deepwood
    I will keep smiling, be positive and never give up! I will give 100 percent each time I play. These are always my goals and my attitude. Yani Tseng
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  12. #12
    General of Telara littlepoit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    965

    Default

    86% of players who play tank in PvP have never managed to kill a player while in a dps spec.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple JICHAEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    86% of players who play tank in PvP have never managed to kill a player while in a dps spec.
    Of course not, its tough to kill stuff with liberator..(or do you know anything that is tankier then that?)
    H / K O X B O X

    Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    Sounds like this may be me, no I'm not a bot just have a higher density of fast twitch muscle fibers compared to the average human

  14. #14
    Ascendant Gilgad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JICHAEL View Post
    Of course not, its tough to kill stuff with liberator..(or do you know anything that is tankier then that?)
    Purifier.

    /10char

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I think PVP tanks are a niche spec that requires the player to make himself relevant.

    As a a tank, you are not so focused on the second-by-second dpsing or healing, so you should sit back and take a bigger picture of the warfront, make suggestions to the team, or highlighting turn of events that could make or break the game.

    You should be "consulting" the dps/healing chart to see which healer you should stay near to "guard" and protect with your very limited dmg mitigation skills when your healers get focused on. And use control effects on the enemy's highest ST dpsing when they target your healers, esp the melee dpsers.

    If, as a PVP tank, you are not topping the damage taken chart, either you are not playing it right or you are not playing against scrubs. In which case you have to again adapt to make yourself relevant by holding something of value to the enemy team.

    A little more tank love from the developers is always welcome, esp when it comes to getting PVP tank gear from warfront boxes. That said, the Tier 2 PVP tank weaps for favor was a godsend.
    Last edited by Observers; 02-07-2016 at 05:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts