+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Acceptable Or Not: Turtle Farming In PvP

Default Acceptable Or Not: Turtle Farming In PvP

Just finished a Whitefall Steppes where the other team picked up the first spawned stone then turtled for the remainder of the match farming kills. They appeared to be a pre-made - I base this on how solid and coordinated they were for the entire match - not necessarily a pre-made but the only other time I have seen such coordination was in a CQPM.

Obviously this was not fun for my team as, despite all our efforts, we were completely ineffective at making even the slightest dent in the turtling team.

But this is not a complaint. Turtling has been around for as long as the mechanics that allow it - in every MMO, I'm sure.

No, this is more of a search for clarification from Trion for those players that have a problem with turtle farming, of which there were a couple in my group (I was not one of them) - one of whom commented that turtle farming is a bannable/ punishable offense.

This made me laugh. But it also made me wonder given Trion's recent actions against players:

Is turtle farming in PvP now no longer acceptable?

It would be nice if it were but I'll be the first to admit that as much as I did not like getting turtle farmed just now, I would enjoy and have thoroughly enjoyed those times when I was on the turtling team - although kill counts tend to be less than half what they are compared to a normal non-turtling match. And PvP is all about kill counts, isn't it?

So, that's it. That's the whole point of this post - is turtle farming in PvP now no longer acceptable?

I'd appreciate a Dev response on this, just for my own peace of mind.

Thanx!

"In the MMO Rift, the players are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The Defiants who travelled back in time and The Guardians who are The Vigil's Chosen. These are their stories." <Dun! Dun!>

There will be changes made to prevent turtling like this in Whitefall. it's a poor "strat" that some specific people employ because they took the "if I can't beat them, I'll just join them" attitude with this map.

Other players don't appreciate this strat because you waste everyone's time for the full duration of the WF.

It's even more pathetic if they're actually in a capable premade. It is what it is and we can only just wait until the devs actually get a chance to make it so you can't do this anymore.

Plane Walker

I thought this thread was going to be about hunting down people who had dashed away from their computers to poop. Now I'm dissapoint.

But yes, the devs should at least attach a slow burn or debuff to having those stones if not something more comprehensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthritis View Post
    They appeared to be a pre-made - I base this on how solid and coordinated they were for the entire match - not necessarily a pre-made but the only other time I have seen such coordination was in a CQPM.
    a quick look at the scoreboard would have shown you for certain if they were a premade or not, and if you had a matching (but less competent) premade on your team.
    next time base your assumptions on available evidence.

also, if they were turtling.... you can take some time to group up, come up with a plan, and work together. as opposed to derping in a few at a time to get farmed.

turtling rarely is used to farm. its mostly used to ensure victory. any farming that occurs is incidental and more often the fault of the players getting farmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    also, if they were turtling.... you can take some time to group up, come up with a plan, and work together. as opposed to derping in a few at a time to get farmed.

turtling rarely is used to farm. its mostly used to ensure victory. any farming that occurs is incidental and more often the fault of the players getting farmed.
    This would be easier if the ones who are "guilty" of turtling up against others wouldn't whine and rage quit about how bad their team is and use their PVP skills to attempt to formulate some sort of plan.

I still hold that unless they change the design and spawn timing/rate of the stones in WFS, then the game has its' rules and there should be a PVP solution.

"There turtling up in that there Bastille...unfair!"

Quote Originally Posted by WarMonkey View Post
    I still hold that unless they change the design and spawn timing/rate of the stones in WFS, then the game has its' rules and there should be a PVP solution.
    Trust me, they're well aware of it because there has been a lot of feedback given about this so it can be prevented .
    Last edited by Riane; 02-03-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Default Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Trust me, they're well aware of it because there has been a lot of feedback given about this so it can be prevented .
    I doubt it will get fixed .. its been going on forever .... and the cheese glitches in KR .... and the nightmare known as BT .... we dont even get the courtesy of a we are working on it. Other than Ocho posting in one thread weeks ago that he would pass it up the chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos
    I'm not against you enjoying raids. I'm not against you enjoying pvp.
    I'm not against you having a fancy pair of pants from raiding.
    I am against imbalance in pvp. Your fancy raiding pants are unbalancing pvp.
    Fallse Sempper Infidus Carpenoctum Mayhhem

Default What Kronos said.

I almost succeeded in preventing them from capping the stone at the last minute with a AoE stun, knockback and kick from Tempest. It sure caught them off-guard when I popped out of stealth to do all that. The only disappointment was the lack of support from my team.
    Last edited by Xibitz; 02-03-2016 at 04:27 PM.
    Azteck@Greybriar
    <Infierno>

Quote Originally Posted by Xibitz View Post
    I almost succeeded in preventing them from capping the stone at the last minute with a AoE stun, blast and kick from Tempest. It sure caught them off-guard when I popped out of stealth to do all that. The only disappointment was the lack of support from my team.
    Now that's an attempt at a PVP solution. I've seen turtle carriers who get too close to the turn on point get pulled onto it, too. Or knocked back/kicked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallse View Post
    I doubt it will get fixed .. its been going on forever .... and the cheese glitches in KR .... and the nightmare known as BT .... we dont even get the courtesy of a we are working on it. Other than Ocho posting in one thread weeks ago that he would pass it up the chain.
    oh, its getting "fixed' alright. and it will be cupcakey's preferred solution. which is far from ideal.

the turtling itself is not the problem, and pvp solutions already exist, for those players who have a pvp oriented brain.
    the problem is the cross heals that turtling brings into focus, not the turtling itself.
    cross healing needs to be nerfed across the board, on every map, not just this one.

the fix will be to sandbag a single house as the river breaks its banks. meanwhile, in the rest of the village, the water continues to rise.

Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    oh, its getting "fixed' alright. and it will be cupcakey's preferred solution. which is far from ideal.

the turtling itself is not the problem, and pvp solutions already exist, for those players who have a pvp oriented brain.
    the problem is the cross heals that turtling brings into focus, not the turtling itself.
    cross healing needs to be nerfed across the board, on every map, not just this one.

the fix will be to sandbag a single house as the river breaks its banks. meanwhile, in the rest of the village, the water continues to rise.
    Anyone who thinks like this or agrees with this is most likely abusing this strat.
    #1 at selecting a target and pressing a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntmaster View Post
    Anyone who thinks like this or agrees with this is most likely abusing this strat.
    I have this strat attempted by enemy teams against the teams I am on far more often than the teams I am on attempt it against enemy teams. probably at a ratio of 10:1

its just as valid for me to say that anyone who is opposed to the use of this strat is a failure as a pvper.
    the enemy team presented you with a problem. overcome it, or lose. its not Trions job to make pvp an easymode carebear auto win game mode just for you because you give up when things get hard. make your own wins happen.

If you can win the game and you're not winning it on purpose, thus dragging out the losers loss - you are lame. And try to think of any game from physical, board game, video game etc where that is not true. Dragging out games has never been cool
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Soulwalker

Default It's an exploit Simple.

Using game mechanics, in an unintended way, to create an artificial advantage, is an exploit.

To anyone willing to be honest about the situation, the zone was intended to be won by turning in stones as they spawn. You need 3 to score a win, or at least have a higher score by the end of the match.

Just because no one told you it's wrong, doesn't mean you can hide behind the obvious and say it's not because no one told you it isn't. That type of irresponsible lack of personal accountability is the whole reason our society is evolving to the point where no one's word is worth anything. And that is why we have an ever increasing bureaucracy that has to document everything, and categorize every single detail to the absurd degree.

Just recognize that it is not how the Warfront was designed to be played and accept it.

Besides that fact, it simply turns off a lot of people to logging in. Do that enough, and the playerbase goes down. And like it or not, keeping the majority of player base is what matters.

Being a business it's dependent on satisfying the most customers possible, to stay in business.

So for the good of the game as a whole, just recognize it's bad. So don't do it.

Product of the meta lads.

I'll keep using this strat until they make it so it's no longer worthwhile.

15 minute = guaranteed win vs having stones stolen by 7 tanks and 8 healers on the other team, I'll wait a few more minutes every time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast