+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ideas for PvP: Bringing back the open-world fun

Default Ideas for PvP: Bringing back the open-world fun

So, to start things off, I started playing mid-SL on Seastone in the open-world PvP hayday, where PvP rifts were a thing, and open world PvP wasn't just a thing, but vastly fun. When PvP dailies had their place, and all it took to get a PvP raid going was to simply start trash talking in /1 when the other side could read it.

I know PvP gear could make things very lopsided, very quickly. But in those days, everyone had some valor/vengeance due to Freelancer gear being your basic welfare gear. Warlord gear was very easy to get, and Myrm only took a little longer to farm. It eventually would equal out in the bigger raid v raid battles, and it would always come down to which team had better communication. My point is, the only real time it was lopsided was when a fresh 60 would get rolled by a roaming kill team (I've been both the victim and the victimizer, so I know the pain/pleasure!).

I'm not saying bring back PvP stats, but all that's been happening recently to Rift's PvP has been reducing our options.

CQ Steppes is gone.

PvP stats are gone.

PvP dailies are gone.

PvP Rifts are gone.

In the end, open-world PvP is gone.

All that made me initially fall in love with Rift PvP is gone. Now all we have are WFs that consist of 'who has the best PvE gear', and Stillmore CQ. Two options to those of us who still enjoy Rift PvP.

Now, before some troll lol's at me and says 'you play Rift for PvP you're bad', I enjoy WFs still very much. I love being on OP PMs and even losing against other OP PMs (looking at you Trinity).

I will still continue playing Rift - I've always been a 1-MMO type of guy, and I've sunk an unhealthy amount of time into playing and getting to know and love it. I just wish Trion would stop reducing our options.

Now onto my ideas!

1) - bring back PvP dailies. Adding one simple daily quest series could breathe fresh life into open world PvP. Add maybe 2-3 quests into each new zone, with favor/prestige(lol) as rewards. Maybe add tiers to upgrading the PvP gear again, needing some form of marks like the old days instead of the silly Abyssal upgrade things, rewarding each quest with marks and favor, and maybe even ---

2) - bring prestige back into the mix by making it worth a darn by, say, at rank 100 you're able to buy run speed/mount speed/armor/weapon stones like in SL days, but at current PvE stats. Maybe even PvP feasts, or vials that are PvP related (+armor and mainstat, -% to down-bolstering, etc.).

3) - PvP Rifts! Give them similar loot tables to crifts with PvP item drops like the above mentioned. Maybe put them in an auto-flag state, so they can be used on PvE shards.

4) - CQ needs work. Stillmore is pretty much the go-to CQ that the top leaders only care about. But cmon, it gets old. Real talk here. If you join a non-pm side, might as well just leave. The only time you'll get kills is if you join a PM that's up against another PM that happens to be worse than your PM. I'm pretty tired of CQ Stillmore, even when I'm on the winning side. Why delete the one CQ that was great for kills? Bring back CQ Steppes! Just shorten the timer on it after completed to 30min vs an hour. Or maybe add a new CQ, one of the new zones, and have it be extractor based. Either way, we need more diversity in our CQ options.

Closing thoughts: I love Rift. I love the player base. I love paragon. But Trion, you need to stop taking our PvP options away. When this game was released, it was so PvP heavy, its why I considered leaving WoW. I didn't until SL, and never looked back. But please, I know I'm not the only one who wants more PvP diversification. I know my ideas may not be the best, but they'd be a lot of fun, and maybe one of the Devs seeing them will think of ideas far better that are based off at least one of mine!

I'd love for more to jump on board with their PvP ideas! The more minds at work the better we as a community can accomplish.
    Iron within!
    Iron without!

Rift Disciple

i agree with everything in this post
    Averwinge - Hailol
    #1 PvP Phys WW

Yes to all of this
    Esori@Greybriar
    twitch.tv/esori

I'm agree too

Soulwalker

./agree

also maybe add pvp artifacts to conquest so theres something for me to do in there :P (might also be fun for the stealthy rogs picking off stragglers)

SL was not the open world pvp heyday. it was already in its death throws by then (though Volan did pump some fresh blood into it for a while).

pvp dailies (kill ten rats while getting ganked by ten rogues) were not a success. if re-introduced they will continue to not be a success if the reasons behind their failure is not addressed.

rather than being location specific (kill ten rats in this little circle), pvp dailies should encompass an entire zone. plain touched wilds would be great for this, though the excessive jump height might need to be removed.
    factions would need to be re-considered, as many cross faction guilds would want to pvp together. rather than guardian/defiant, the CQ Dom/Oats/NF factions could be used.

good open world pvp will require real work from the devs, with real rewards for the players.
    imo, there is much more that needs fixing with Rifts pvp before throwing in another "kill ten rats while flagged" quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    SL was not the open world pvp heyday.
    RIP

Briarcliff, Sunrest, Dayblind, Deepstrike

Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Avind View Post
    RIP
    ...Deepstrike
    my first home since beta.

i agree with ajaxx; let's bring back the pvp dailies... at least on seastone if the other shards are too pansy for them. and as far as guilds with xfactions... wtf?! no wonder they couldn't hang on seastone. =P

I wonder how much effort it would be to take one of the quieter/sparser zones in Mathosia/Dusken/Brevane, make it auto flag you whenever you enter and enable up/down bolstering within.

Plane Walker

Guild versus Guild pvp. Factions are antiquated as of 1.8.
    Koz

Soulwalker

I want all of this. Someone make it happen.

Back during launch my guildleader said this game isn't a pvpgame and quit, I don't wanna hear his opinion on the current state of the game.

For all I care there doesn't need to be any pvp gear since limiting myself to just one aspect of the game is a nonono and I'll never understand people that join such a game and just play one puny aspect of it, on the other hand it was a better system than the current by a long shot so I'll pick my poison.

PvP itself isn't counting as content nor endgame content in this game by any means, it offers you some mease bits perfect to get into raiding with enough hit quickly and that's all there is to it atm, which is bad.

I don't get why this game is running the PvE aspect as only option for endgame, I don't even get how they could possibly think going against all traditions with that would possibly be a good idea. The most basic of all mmos that don't simply divide the content (thank god there's only few) is to make PvP the endgame content. Why? Because once every boss is killed and you don't get anything else to kill, you go kill players, simple as that. What do you need top gears for if you have nothing to hit it with? Hint, 1600 hit has nothing it's needed for)

The general pvpdirection of this game has long since been nope.
    Still playing it but it's beyond lackluster content and needs a lot more developing time and polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by xamen View Post
    I wonder how much effort it would be to take one of the quieter/sparser zones in Mathosia/Dusken/Brevane, make it auto flag you whenever you enter and enable up/down bolstering within.
    This would be hugely fun. I miss the old days in Stonefield @SS. Always the place to stir things up, there was always a few folks out there just waiting for a group to pop up.
    Iron within!
    Iron without!

So much I would see world pvp to come back with the problem is balance between class there are many spec/class will just mop the floor with other does not make good game play less people willing to join in. The few will do it that will not count as does not bring world back pvp and make it grow.

Just saying dev need to be willing put time and work trying find ways to bring pvp back with out running in to problem that makes thing even worst then it is.

Telaran

Do all dis plz. Trion, you seriously need to stop blowing off the pvpers in this game, they made up the majority when you guys actually cared about the game as well as them being the ones that signed your check. PvP in SL was this games BEST asset hands down, if you guys started to care about PvP again you would get a large portion of your player base back that left after you destroyed everything in 3.0. If you guys somehow thought of a way to bring back open world pvp, I believe that would satisfy all the PvPers in this game.
    Vmannn@Greybriar aka PvP God - Level 65 Warrior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast