+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Just a normal Wednesday

Rift Disciple

Default Just a normal Wednesday

http://i.imgur.com/ETyu4uC.png

Just a normal rift pvp game, for that matter.

Horribly Imbalanced Teams

Premades on one team of all healers, on the other team of none

Rift PvP will never be credible if this **** continues to happen

Listen to this while you go to PVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LQftYK2n8o

Whatever happens it will be better.

Not related to a Wednesday queue but this was so funny I had to screenshot it:

Wooo yeah, working hard! Pumping up the heals... and then... after we just get too overrun and finally die, I check out the leaderboards to see this.

[[facepalming intensifies]]

and yes i nerdraged cos 3 mins of keeping everyone alive only to realize the most dmg someone did on [[whoops he was pyro then swapped to chloro!]] .____. ... muh gawd
    Last edited by Riane; 07-30-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Not related to a Wednesday queue but this was so funny I had to screenshot it:

Wooo yeah, working hard! Pumping up the heals... and then... after we just get too overrun and finally die, I check out the leaderboards to see this.

[[facepalming intensifies]]

and yes i nerdraged cos 3 mins of keeping everyone alive only to realize the most dmg someone did on our team was A CHLORO .____. ... muh gawd
    Maybe you lost because you only did 758 damage.

Horrible games don't necessarily disappear with player balancing. Even in games like LoL which has a seemingly good system of ranking and a high enough playerbase to make sure everyone is playing with a more narrow band of equally skilled players, blowouts happen all the time. There are many reasons for this- class composition is incredibly important and very hard to control, for one, because players can always switch it up and there is some grey area between roles that are hard to recognize. Another factor is that small leads can often accelerate control of a match, say one side gains a victory at codex, that team might make it harder for the other team by killing their players before they can group up and be effective. And Rift also probably doesn't have a large enough active population available at the start of any particular match to get too crazy with mixing and matching.

I'm not taking a stance on how good Rift matchmaking is. Just saying bad games happen, and people shouldn't rush to assuumptions about the system each time one does.
    Last edited by Inixia; 07-30-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatisausername View Post

I'm not sure what your real point is. What does "credible" even mean in this context?

The matchmaker doesn't aspire to make all matches have a 50/50 chance each team will win. It merely aspires to make it closer to balanced than if it were completely random. I think it succeeds in doing that, and Trion certainly appears to believe they have the data to back it up.

I have yet to see one realistic suggestion to improve WF matchmaking that doesn't involve unacceptable compromises (in the eyes of Trion). The closest to reasonable thing I've seen anyone suggest is to put on a "role" checkbox like Expert dungeons have. But I question whether it would actually be effective.

I was in a ghar station WF the other day as the only healer on my 15 person team - as a liberator - and we actually won by a decent margin (like 1000 to 820 or so).

Only thing I can say for sure is that if you enter WFs with a 5-man team of skilled and well-geared players willing and able to play multiple roles you have a much better likelihood of winning against PUGs. If you want to "fix" that problem then ban premades. That's a pretty horrible solution, though.

Oh look, a SS taken from spawn!
    Its one of those guys: either get carried or blame everyone and everything around you for a loss.

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Quote Originally Posted by Xentex View Post

I have yet to see one realistic suggestion to improve WF matchmaking that doesn't involve unacceptable compromises (in the eyes of Trion). The closest to reasonable thing I've seen anyone suggest is to put on a "role" checkbox like Expert dungeons have. But I question whether it would actually be effective.
    To elaborate on this point a bit more... Does it lock you into that spec? If not it is meaningless for balance purposes. If it does does that give the kind of PvP people want? Do you not want to be able to use the ability to switch specs in PvP to adapt to different circumstances or teams? There's actually a ton of questions about this, much more so than PvE where we can get a much better prediction of what you'll be facing. Sometimes matches between relatively even teams are blowouts. Sometimes matches are lost by a team that on paper should mop the floor with the other guys. Sometimes Seattle doesn't hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch for reasons I suspect I'll never understand.

But here's the beauty of RIFT: if your team doesn't have healers, switch to a healing spec. Talk to your team and see if you can find other folks to help. Use that prep time as best you can to form a strat and figure out who on your team is the best to work with. The system allows a great deal of flexibility, use it wisely and you'll win more.

Everyone is faced with the same Matchmaker, everyone is impacted equally. Over time you'll win and lose sometimes, based on your teams. But you do have an impact, you probably just won't carry every match. And that's the way it should be in group activities.
    Last edited by Ocho; 07-30-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    To elaborate on this point a bit more... Does it lock you into that spec? If not it is meaningless for balance purposes. If it does does that give the kind of PvP people want? Do you not want to be able to use the ability to switch specs in PvP to adapt to different circumstances or teams? There's actually a ton of questions about this, much more so than PvE where we can get a much better prediction of what you'll be facing.
    lost by a team that on paper should mop the floor with the other guys. Sometimes Seattle doesn't hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch for reasons I suspect I'll never understand.

But here's the beauty of RIFT: if your team doesn't have healers, switch to a healing spec. Talk to your team and see if you can find other folks to help. Use that prep time as best you can to form a strat and figure out who on your team is the best to work with. The system allows a great deal of flexibility, use it wisely and you'll win more.

Everyone is faced with the same Matchmaker, everyone is impacted equally. Over time you'll win and lose sometimes, based on your teams. But you do have an impact, you probably just won't carry every match. And that's the way it should be in group activities.
    I agree. The beauty of rift is its soul system and the ability to change quickly.

Wow has implemented a system of setting roles, and honestly it doesn't do much. You are stuck with whatever spec you queued as for pvp.

The real bottom line is that mmo pvp will only be as balanced as the gear, skill, strategy and teamwork of the people participating in each group. I wish gear wasn't a factor in that, but that's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by lavatsunami1 View Post
    I agree. The beauty of rift is its soul system and the ability to change quickly.
    it can be both beautiful and ugly, vast and empty.

Rift might let you play a spec that you otherwise don't get a chance to - i really like stormcaller for example, but if conditions aren't ideal for aoeing its not worth it, the fast switching means i have a chance to figure out the layout of the battle before switching into it. And when done right it lets you be creative with your playstyle choices. Creative but also sometimes creations lack a personality the way a pure bulid can.
    On the other hand that adaptability means everyone can jump onto the most effective class and make things harder for spec diversity too, when not done right balance concerns for many class issues might be overshadowed by the concerns of keeping up the best options..
    Last edited by Inixia; 07-30-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Post full image with leaderboard otherwise worthless

To be fair, pvp team are often unbalanced and even when they arent there are both people with 85k hp and 60k hp in the same wf, which is insane because their damage(or healing) per ability and such burst and overall pressure is vastly different.

Which is insane, it feels like the ELO doesn't really matter for matchmaking at all, which is probably because of the low amount of people in the queue so it cant really match based on a win/loss ratio and as such just puts everyone in the same wf. Personally I would rather have wf's with only 5 people and having similar gearlevel than how it is currently but not sure everyone would agree with that.

Some wf's just feel like no matter what you do you cannot win simply based on how the matchmaking matched up the teams which is irritating, adding to that when you enter a wf that is already lost (which happens significantly more than a winning one due to the nature of people ragequitting while losing).

TL;DR
    Pvp IS imbalanced at the moment, certain games ARE unwinable even if you play your part near perfectly, anyone who would speak against that should consider looking at it with more objective eyes. (not saying its the majority of the games I'm saying they exist.)

Rift Disciple

Also, are you saying you never have close games? I certainly do.

beating premade: http://i.imgur.com/J6ediYu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6fFL2hX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i66mKLR.jpg (lol hikos)
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 07-30-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Everyone is faced with the same Matchmaker, everyone is impacted equally.
    Lol. You really believe this? I really don't think you are reading the data correctly. I have an account with a 56% win rate and one with a 46% win rate. The matches are ENTIRELY different. Yes I am not stupid they are all level 65 warfronts. Also have a friend who is above my win rate and has half my Elo.
    Last edited by Planetx; 07-30-2015 at 03:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast