Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SprawlnBrawl
  • 1 Post By Mukoswave
  • 1 Post By Zokot
  • 1 Post By SprawlnBrawl
  • 1 Post By Nefelia

Thread: Trion, people will accept longer queue time for better matchmaking

Default Trion, people will accept longer queue time for better matchmaking

Can you at least experiment with some type of tiered timer system that tries to match up people of equal elo rating, not combined averages? i.e. for 60 seconds the system searches for people +/- 500 rating, then if there are 10 people found, the match starts and only people in that elo range get added, if no others meet that rating tier, match continues on as 5v5.

If 10 people aren't found in 60 seconds it exands to +/- 750 rating and waits another 60 seconds. I'm pretty sure this is how WoW matchmaking worked for arena and how GW2 solo queue worked.

The only people who may not like this are PvErs who are just trying to finish their weekly as quickly as possible, but they are the ones ruining matchmaking anyway, so if they stop queueing it will only get better.
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 05-13-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Or they could simply randomize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    I admit, even I am not genius enough to design a game with PvP, that gets filled with players who hate dislike PvP engaging in it, and ruin the PvP for the people who want to PvP. I mean, let's hand it. That is pretty insane genius. I am thinking of the potential I could have in life if I mastered this. If I could design something and get people who don't even want to do it, flooding my gates doing it on their own will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukoswave View Post
    Or they could simply randomize it.
    Honestly I don't think anyone would know the difference since its just 20-40 people rolling their faces on the keyboard until the match ends. I support this though, at least then I would know it's an accident I have 19 potatoes for teammates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    The only people who may not like this are PvErs who are just trying to finish their weekly as quickly as possible, but they are the ones ruining matchmaking anyway, so if they stop queueing it will only get better.
    Remove the PvE rewards from PvP and I'll be happy to never touch awful RIFT PvP again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokot View Post
    Remove the PvE rewards from PvP and I'll be happy to never touch awful RIFT PvP again.
    That is all

Quote Originally Posted by Zokot View Post
    that would be ideal, the less players who are awful at pvp the better, then replace it with PvP rewards that allow people who only PvP to continue to progress
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 05-13-2015 at 12:09 PM.

I would support the longer waiting time for an equal game where my team and the enemy team are in my skill range. It is no fun to be dropped in a match where half my team are idiots or even a match where half the enemy team are idiots.

My definition of fun is a challenging match-up against good people while also trusting my teammates that they know what they are doing. It's rather rare to see these types of WFs though.
    Serale@Faeblight

Longer queue times for better quality matchups? Hell yes, count me in.

Ofc we don't actually have a way for MM to know how good you are....so finding a metric which correlates with skill would also be necessary. Assuming such a metric had already been created, then yeah, longer queuetimes for better matches would be no problem. No problem at all.
    Last edited by Faeruna; 05-14-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Faeruna View Post
    Longer queue times for better quality matchups? Hell yes, count me in.

Ofc we don't actually have a way for MM to know how good you are....so finding a metric which correlates with skill would also be necessary. Assuming such a metric had already been created, then yeah, longer queuetimes for better matches would be no problem. No problem at all.
    Weighed ELO, which is based on damage/heals and some other metrics.

Just have the match-maker gather a pool of people for 60 seconds, after which it will split the pool into two groups based on weighed ELO. The top half will for a match and split into two teams. The bottom half will form a second match and split into two teams. Veterans will be with veterans, and less skilled/experienced players will be with similarly skilled/experienced players. There will be a little bit of overlap, but this system will at least ensure the most skilled PvP players are not grouped with the worst.

Benefit: better matches; less frustration for the veteran players; less demoralization for the less experienced players.

Trion should really do this for the newer and less PvP-experienced players. When I first tried PvP, I was a fresh 50 thrown in with P8s that just massacred me with no way for me to really contribute much. I hated the experience and stayed away from PvP. It wasn't until I tried PvP with my warrior alt in the more even pre-50 brackets that I found my love for Rift PvP.

Give newer participants to PvP a better and more even experience and they may come to appreciate Rift PvP as well. Keep tossing them in with the lions and of course they are going to have a miserable time.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    Can you at least experiment with some type of tiered timer system that tries to match up people of equal elo rating, not combined averages? i.e. for 60 seconds the system searches for people +/- 500 rating, then if there are 10 people found, the match starts and only people in that elo range get added, if no others meet that rating tier, match continues on as 5v5.

If 10 people aren't found in 60 seconds it exands to +/- 750 rating and waits another 60 seconds. I'm pretty sure this is how WoW matchmaking worked for arena and how GW2 solo queue worked.

Elo doesn't mean much at all in determining a players worth. For my alt, it sits with 3000+ Elo and it is basically being fed to premades non stop or made as a carry for loss match ups. Today I got two auto losses. A game that ended in 30 secs. as soon as got in and the second game my team was down 500 with no way to comeback. Won the next game but it was close and lasted nearly the whole warfront duration (KR) then I get into this game.. which was a faceroll with no way to carry.They started with 2 extra players as well.

http://postimg.org/image/z1kp1gli9/

Look at guardian vs. defiant player number at bottom left.
    Basically I am only person in warfront at start and the other team is composed of a 3-5 man premade although I am in mostly greens and blues.
    Last edited by Planetx; 05-14-2015 at 02:57 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Weighed ELO, which is based on damage/heals and some other metrics.
    Rather than damage or heals, wouldn’t it be better if metric used was some form of gear score? Not just what you are wearing but what you have in your bags/bank (we don’t want people queuing in 60 greens and then swapping to raid gear once in the warfront after all ). If I beat someone in a pvp match then it should be because I can play my chosen class better than they can play their chosen one, no excuses that gear disparity.
    Last edited by Kaltai; 05-14-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaltai View Post
    Rather than damage or heals, wouldn’t it be better if metric used was some form of gear score? Not just what you are wearing but what you have in your bags/bank (we don’t want people queuing in 60 greens and then swapping to raid gear once in the warfront after all ). If I beat someone in a pvp match then it should be because I can play my chosen class better than they can play their chosen one, no excuses that gear disparity.
    Weighed ELO based on total damage/healing done would already take gear into account. A high weighed ELO is the result of skilled play as well as good gear.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Weighed ELO based on total damage/healing done would already take gear into account. A high weighed ELO is the result of skilled play as well as good gear.
    Sab can get a lot of damage but will be lacking in the KB race whereas a MM can get the KBs by using the skills more selectively but losing the overall damage competition. A physician can keep a vital teammate alive when they are being focused down whereas a phystact is throwing out heals and hoping that someone needs it (OK, oversimplified but you get my drift).

This is why I was favouring the gear score approach because then a highly geared sab would find they were being very ineffective as their more skilled opponents punished them regularly.

Meh, it made sense to me but maybe I should just stick to PVE content

+ Reply to Thread