• 1 Post By Koruen
  • 1 Post By backwoodss
  • 1 Post By moodkiller
  • 1 Post By koryphae

Thread: Advice on PvP gear please

Shadowlander

Default Advice on PvP gear please

Hello,

I'm relatively new to PvP in Rift, but I enjoy warfronts a lot. I've tried to search the web for advice on gear but most things I've found only said "you want end and crit on pvp gear" but didn't go more into detail. The other threads I've found were discussions about bolstering and why "raiders get the best gear since 3.0" - these didn't enlighten me either and are not the purpose of my thread .

I will use my pyromancer as an example to explain my questions. I don't enjoy raiding or NTEs too much, so don't expect my armor to be really good ;). The stats I'll provide are the stats I have in warfronts (4 items bolstered up).

I tried to collect a PvP set of armor from Marauder Supply Caches with more endurance and crit. My stats:
    Health: 70590
    Intelligence: 3917
    Spell Power: 9296
    Crit: 3996

My PvE set of armor (bought with Abyssal Crusader Marks so I can use a synergy crystal):
    Health: 66220
    Intelligence: 4455
    Spell Power: 10194
    Crit: 3729

I'm using the same synergy crystal and essences for both sets until I'll be able to get a better focus (Manugo notoriety, I'm looking at you!). Also don't have a good trinket yet. I haven't upgraded any gear yet, because I feel I have to decide on what and I'm not sure what to do. Here's where you come in .

Now my questions:
    • Is the difference even worth it? I mean, roughly 4k more health doesn't seem that much to me.
    • If I decide to upgrade the PvP set, what should I upgrade first? Weapons?
    • But if I do that, I'll never be able to raid and will hardly be invited to NTEs and get the "best-in-slot" items. So is that really wise ;)?
    • I don't understand how bolstering exactly works so I don't know what's the best course of action: stick with the PvE items and lose some endurance and crit?
    • Items with high endurance sometimes have other stats like guard or dodge (tank gear). Are they desirable for a dps mage in warfronts?

At the moment, I'm sitting on enough currency to buy/upgrade, but I simply can't decide. Same goes for my warrior and cleric.

And if I sound like a total noob to you now, that may be the case when it comes to stats, but since I've learned the different objectives and strategies in warfronts, I can assure you that I'm very often quite conducive to my team and have a blast even when losing.

Thank you for reading this wall of text, all advice and helpful comments are much appreciated.
    Last edited by koryphae; 04-25-2015 at 02:19 AM.

Rift Disciple

I am not the best person to give you advice on this, but since no one has answered, let me chime in a sec. First, as a Pyro, I have not seen anyone advocate Endurance gear or tank gear. They all seem to suggest the high Int and Crit to cap pieces. I don't see any reason you would focus on Endurance and Tank gear.

Bolster works to bring lower level gear up to somewhere around entry level Marauder. It is replaced pretty quickly.

Getting the 4 piece set bonus is quite important so folks usually try to upgrade 4 pieces and get the synergy crystal as their 1st pieces.

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by tdain; 04-26-2015 at 04:21 AM.

im not a mage but... dont upgrade things you are not sure you want upgraded. as ironic as it sounds,
    you will need to go and GRIND NTE's for specific gear (best purple that drops from them) in order to get better gear for PvP. yeah...fast way to get good gear for PvP is going PvE.
    after obtaining those purples think what pieces of mara gear you have there and if they are worth upgraiding. i personaly only upgrade the Best of the marauder gear only (meaning pieces with high stat as your soul primary stat, and off stat that is either CP or Sp. )

with all that obtained id start making my choices in order to obtain CP close to soft cap and than id go for stuff that gives you SP.

for DPS in warfronts avoid any guard/block/dodge based gear. possitioning yourself better saves you more than any Endurance. for bolstering - dont upgrade any gear to orange. purple drops from Ntes are not bolstered. epmerhal gear is not bolstered. dreambraker gear is not bolstered. you have a thingy in your buff line telling you what piece is affected by down or up bolstering. always equip all gear..dont leave unequiped slots!

hope it helped a bit. if i messed up smthing hopefully someone will correct it but you get the idea.

Rift Disciple

As a dps, people usually go for crit power until soft cap (40%) then spell power as burst is king in pvp.
    So i would focus on CP (until 40%) with high Int, then SP (no cap) with high Int for a pyro.

Soulwalker

For DPS you want to get roughly ~3100 Crit Power which is the soft cap (40%) Then you want to get spell power as high as you possibly can. (as others have stated)

Do not wear guard or dodge as a pyro! Or any mage DPS soul for that matter.

You should focus on upgrading items that give you HIT so you can get into NTE's.
    If you want to abstain from NTEs completely, you can upgrade all your gear from Marauder into dreambreaker and still perform quite well.

I'd recommend "inspecting" mages in warfronts and checking out the gear they are wearing.
    Last edited by backwoodss; 04-26-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Shadowlander

Thank you all very much for the helpful responses! I have a better understanding now and know what to do .

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by koryphae View Post
    Thank you all very much for the helpful responses! I have a better understanding now and know what to do .
    Don't collect set of items, try to mix them depending on which gives you better stats. PvE items most of the times are better. With most of the NTE drops + PvP jewelry and essences you will have quite strong base to match up the level even on those in full t1 raiding gear.
    And you don't need CP over the cap, drop chunk of that for increasing SP.
    Pyro still have really high burst potential, but is not easy class/soul to play. Stick with your team and try to support them with high burst from max range going in and out of fights.

Shadowlander

Yes, thank you. After getting my CP a lot higher, I definitely noticed more burst damage but I don't feel more "squishy" than before. I mixed Marauder with Expert gear and kept 2 or 3 pieces as fillers for when I reach the CP cap or bring myself to play NTEs and obtain purples ;).

And yes, I've noticed that the positioning with my Pyro is far more defensive and careful than with my warrior or cleric, but I do like the burst damage and the mobility.

Thanks all again, feels like after spring-cleaning with all the space in my bags now .

Soulwalker

Default pvp

there is no more pvp gear, so you might as well just raid. maybe when they separate the gear like they are supposed to you will see actual pvp gear. now as it is , for those of us that get on and pvp a few hours aday after work and dinner the game is just not for us. why I cancelled my sub.

+ Reply to Thread