+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Displaying Elo to the player-base only shows how broken the elo matchmaking system is

Quote Originally Posted by Spungey View Post
    That just doesn't make sense to me. I know of people who have played this game over a longer period of time than myself. 8 months in 2011 + 3 1/2 months in 2015. Players who have played a ton of matches from vanilla til now gain/lose more than myself. Think I'm at 791. Given I pvpd all the time during vanilla except for raid hours. But was in pm with a 3k player. He gains 4 points for win.. myself gains 2. Given your theory I should gain more points. Idk. Still think its borked.
    Did yu take a break? Elo wasn't in the game in vanilla so that wouldn't count

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Our current ELO system measures how good you are at winning long term. It isn't a skill at killing each other or wining fights, it's skill at winning matches. That's a pretty significant distinction.

Then why do I keep getting thrown into losing matches? I'm not going to trumpet how "good" I am, but that's bogus.

The ELO is stupid IMHO anyways.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #18

Quote Originally Posted by JudeFromKale View Post
    It's actually just flat out not working.

Was q'ing with someone 2k lower rating, we both intentionally lost and he lost 6 more points than I did. Explain.
    That sounds odd, would love more details. A rough time, and the name of both characters would help. Mind shooting me an email? ecleaver@trionworlds.com

Plane Touched

That sounds odd, would love more details. A rough time, and the name of both characters would help. Mind shooting me an email? ecleaver@trionworlds.com
    Can do.

Will check after work and if I cant remember I'll replicate.

The ultimate sleuth is on the case ! If anyone can figure it out it is OCHO .

<O└d Skool>

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    Did yu take a break? Elo wasn't in the game in vanilla so that wouldn't count
    Yeah never played from Dec 2011 til this past January. So that would be my answer but still can't seem to gain points. Think 3 is the most I've gotten from a win.
    "TO PRO PHYS HEALS FOR JUUUU"

(Vanilla: Spongey@Keenblade "Nexilis")
    (Nightmare Tide: Excuse@Deepwood

Shield of Telara

Another thing to look into. . 121 (starting) elo and 1pt per match + or -. That's super bugged or I'm way way worse than i thought. And not to sound conceited, but I'm kinda leaning towards bugged.

I'm a full time pvper to the tune of about 100 wfs a week, and 30% in steamroll premades
    Ezuen@Faeblight<Godlike Awesomeness> lvl 65 p100 warrior
    aka "The Healing Warrior" (before it was cool)

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #23

Quote Originally Posted by oddiescell View Post
    Another thing to look into. . 121 (starting) elo and 1pt per match + or -. That's super bugged or I'm way way worse than i thought. And not to sound conceited, but I'm kinda leaning towards bugged.

I'm a full time pvper to the tune of about 100 wfs a week, and 30% in steamroll premades
    We've got an engineer taking a look right now. I'll keep you in mind as a potential exemplar if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsalot View Post
    The last 5 man HK premade I was in won 11 in a row. The one before that was 9/10 wins when we lost to another HK PM.

So you are correct premade doesn't mean autowin, just autowin 20/21 times.

Are you sure the team you are playing is a PM? If you were to see me in a warfront you'd probably call it a PM, but I solo queue the vast majority of the time.
    This ^ is the problem most of us know. Elo can't balance a match with a PM. Still us solo players have our place, to get PM carnage quest over ASAP.
    Mickdayblind NA Defiant

Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    This ^ is the problem most of us know. Elo can't balance a match with a PM. Still us solo players have our place, to get PM carnage quest over ASAP.
    Getting other people's carnage quests done by being the dead guy doesn't exactly make me want to play all that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Our current ELO system measures how good you are at winning long term. It isn't a skill at killing each other or wining fights, it's skill at winning matches. That's a pretty significant distinction.

What the matchmaker does is try to put together teams that are as equally likely to win as possible. Given that choice, how good you are at winning (compared to how good the opposing team was at winning) is the only relevant stat.
    elo just shows if PUG's are lucky to get in the faction with the premade

i will only give value to ELo when WF is out of premades
    Last edited by brincas; 04-24-2015 at 07:38 AM.

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #27

Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    Actually, we looked at this specific topic. Total Team ELO is a better predictor for matches than whether or not premades are included. So basically your team's ELO is more of a factor in match wins/losses than do you have a premade on your team or not (or if you are in a premade or not).

That isn't to say that premades aren't beneficial, but they are less a factor than how close we match ELO.

Actually, we looked at this specific topic. Total Team ELO is a better predictor for matches than whether or not premades are included. So basically your team's ELO is more of a factor in match wins/losses than do you have a premade on your team or not (or if you are in a premade or not).

That isn't to say that premades aren't beneficial, but they are less a factor than how close we match ELO.
    So then, everything is going swell, got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Shield of Telara

elo is competely broken, and taking statistics out of it in its current state is absolutely rediculous, pm or otherwise.

My pms currently rock 9k total elo all the time because I'm at 140elo. That makes my team average much lower than it should be. And since we can't trust elo on the low end we can't trust it on the high end either.

I'm not the only outlier on either end by any means and that's going to skew the statistics pretty bad If you aren't removing myself and the other hundred players like me.

Assuming you did remove your outliers it should be extremely obvious that they exist. ..you had to remove them. In which case it should be blatantly obvious that the system is so flawed that it can't work without ignoring the bugs. But didn't fix the bugs because here i still am with 140elo.

What it gets down to, logically, is that you either have bad statistics for matchmaking, or have good statistics for matchmaking...knew it was bugged..and continued anyway.
    Last edited by oddiescell; 04-25-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    Ezuen@Faeblight<Godlike Awesomeness> lvl 65 p100 warrior
    aka "The Healing Warrior" (before it was cool)

Premades usually have the highest Elo. Saying they are less factor on wins/losses is kind of an oxymoron when lots of players who premade sit over 3.5k and some 4.5k+. Now what is even more lame. Players that solo queue and actually share all their knowledge and gifts with randoms not just the same group of player are intentionally being matched with premades because they win more by using strategy and pvp awareness where premades win entirely through brute force and exploiting a combination of souls that makes them OP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast