+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is open pvp dead?

Default Is open pvp dead?

That's what I've heard from my friend, anyway. I'm new so I'm wondering what I can expect. I signed up on seastone and have been rather disappointed. Moments after getting into Granite Falls for questing I got ganked by someone with 26 times the HP as me.

I'm sure this is how it is in most MMORPGs are. But that's not necessarily a good thing. So is open pvp utterly inaccessible by new players? Are Warfronts the only way to do pvp?

Thanks in advance!

Default Not really

There is open pvp, you just gotta be in the right place at the right time. Also if you port into the other faction's main base you will experience open pvp. Also sometimes people organize raids on the other faction's main city. But mostly its a case of being at the right place at the right time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    I admit, even I am not genius enough to design a game with PvP, that gets filled with players who hate dislike PvP engaging in it, and ruin the PvP for the people who want to PvP. I mean, let's hand it. That is pretty insane genius. I am thinking of the potential I could have in life if I mastered this. If I could design something and get people who don't even want to do it, flooding my gates doing it on their own will.

In all MMOs you have the high levels that like to gank low level players, then you have the high levels that like to fight each other and they would help you come kill the ganker.

But trion ruined PvP, only the gankers are left.

at most you can say that there is the potential for open world pvp.
    the reality is, with the exception of gankers, it doesn't happen.
    once upon a time, it used to happen, and was a lot of fun.
    but these days... no, you wont see it often, and when you do it will be very small scale.

Plane Walker

Open PvP rarely happens. Most of the PvP guilds have moved off of Seastone, the only PvP server, because the lack of it.

Rift Disciple

Dead, dead, dead! Just jump on seastone and run around almost any zone I doubt you will find anyone.

It used to be fun, at times is was great as some of the best pvp players battled it out. RIP open world rift pvp!
    Zzargo - DA -
    !!FIST!!
    <Shadow Embassy>

Should be a mentoring downlevel taking place in each zone, when you are flagged or attempt an attack on a player in a zone, you should be auto-mentored to that player's or zone's level. Problem solved, and the greifers are gone for good.
    Last edited by Bluntmaster; 04-14-2015 at 02:46 AM.
    #1 at selecting a target and pressing a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntmaster View Post
    Should be a mentoring downlevel taking place in each zone, when you are flagged or attempt an attack on a player in a zone, you should be auto-mentored to that player's or zone's level. Problem solved, and the greifers are gone for good.
    Why they didn't do this from day one is a mystery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

The summer before last, the avatars of Daglar and another developer appeared at the port in Tempest Bay (Seastone) and encouraged open discussion with the players who were present (this was pretty cool, by the way- wished they would do it more often.)

The question I posed to the duo was "How about auto-mentoring high-level characters in low level zones on pvp servers?"

I appreciated the quick & open response, although it was an adamant "no, we won't force players to mentor down in zones."

At the time, it was a hot topic on Seastone due to Stonefield being the location where Guardians would try to incite duels near the port- and were often ganking lowbies in the area out of boredom- or using them as "bait".

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Hectyr View Post
    The summer before last, the avatars of Daglar and another developer appeared at the port in Tempest Bay (Seastone) and encouraged open discussion with the players who were present (this was pretty cool, by the way- wished they would do it more often.)

The question I posed to the duo was "How about auto-mentoring high-level characters in low level zones on pvp servers?"

I appreciated the quick & open response, although it was an adamant "no, we won't force players to mentor down in zones."

At the time, it was a hot topic on Seastone due to Stonefield being the location where Guardians would try to incite duels near the port- and were often ganking lowbies in the area out of boredom- or using them as "bait".
    After the CQ with the Devs a few months ago I talked to Daglar about making some changes to Seastone to help repopulate the server. He said no to all of them, which led me to believe that the Devs are not going to spend any more resources on Seastone, and just let the population continue to shrink. That is why I moved my guild from Seastone to Greybriar February of this year.

Something needs to be done for seastone !
    How many new players never give this game a real chance because of the condition of this server ?

What incentive does anyone have to play on seastone while shard hopping exists ?

In a world where the only viable pvp gear is gear obtained from pve, why play on the least populated server with 0 progression in pve?

The real question should be how is this sever still doing this well, with pvp in the condition it currently is in.
    Open World PVP !
    Seastone = Beststone ! Seastone + YOU = Good Times !

Yes, it is.

Ascendant

The removal of PVP Rifts sent the message to me that Trion is content and more than willing to just let open world pvp die. Which is a huge shame and a giant missed opportunity for them, but at this point I'm sick of tilting at windmills. Open world pvp in this game will never be supported unless there is a change in focus at the top levels of the company. Thats the truth. It sounds harsh, but its reality.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntmaster View Post
    This really saddens me because it'd be such an easy way to fix pvp.

I'll probably change my shard to Faeblight at this rate. Nothing happens in seastone but the occasional ganker, and that just isn't fun.

High levels mentoring down still have an advantage since they keep all the skills and utility; it's just numbers that deflate.

+ Reply to Thread