+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is PvP Gear really as bad as it looks?

Rift Disciple

Default Is PvP Gear really as bad as it looks?

I'd heard and read grumbling about PvP gear, but always thought it might be from people who weren't really dedicating themselves to the game. I figured that if I PvP exclusively and run up a gazillion favor, that I'd pose a real threat when I reached 60-65. I'm now a mere 53, so I sent my level 65 mage to check it out. Now, my mage is nicely kitted out, he's about 2-3 upgrades above baseline crafted/purchasable items, just turned 1000 hit, but certainly no where near fully raid equipped. His gear compared to the Myrmidon Relic is about 2:1 in armor and other stats. Does something happen between level 60 and 65 to bring all this PvP gear in line with even average quality PvE gear? Otherwise, it would seem there'd be no point (other than enjoyment) to PvP at all until lvl65 and even then to use only PvE gear --- that means no point to favor, or prestige or rank (except for vanity).

"PvP" gear is pointless below 65
    There is no PvP gear, it's just gear
    There is no point to prestige, and little point to favor (upgrade parts, consumables, cosmetics)
    Upgraded PvP-dropped gear can be BiS

I had a long lengthy explanation for you, and attempted to fill you in on today's state of pvp. Instead, I'll just point you towards my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimatsu View Post
    I had a long lengthy explanation for you, and attempted to fill you in on today's state of pvp. Instead, I'll just point you towards my sig.
    Nice sig!
    #1 at selecting a target and pressing a button.

Is X Y really as bad as it looks?

Replace X with a tag such as PvE, PvP, RP, etc or leave it empty.
    Y with a certain type of content such as a class, spec, item, activity, etc.

Is Mage really as bad as it looks?
    Is PvP Riftblade really as bad as it looks?
    Is PvP Tanking really as bad as it looks?
    Is spending time with your kids really as bad as it looks?

Of course "PvP" gear isn't as bad as it looks.
    Just that everyone has a tendency to make a mountain out of a molehill... even when that molehill is as flat as a pancake.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

The gear is this game has always been bad. I mean, I guess you can say it's good relative for what the game has to offer. But if you show me a lot of crappy used cars, I'm not going to say the best one there is even remotely good. Gear in this game is trash and always has been. I'm yet to really see much of an interesting piece of gear. I would have kept PvE'ing if I did. It's why I had to PvP. PvE is fun to mash out combo's with hot gear on. PvP is fun to mash out opponents. So I could ignore the boring gear aspect much more. But, don't search hard, even the best gear pretty much sucks.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-11-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Yes PvP gear is subpar compared to Raid gear. you can definitely offset the difference if you are somewhat skilled (rift pvp is easy) . Problem will occur when you face a full team of player as skilled as you with raid gear.
    Last edited by littlepoit; 04-11-2015 at 09:05 PM.

gear that is best for PvP - doesnt come from PvP. which states something about PvP on its own.

that doesnt mean that u cant do good in PvP tho. but than again - that wasnt your question.

Rift Disciple

If I look at the Rift store or raid gear listings or crafting, I see gear that, if a person dedicates himself to raiding with a guild or to garnering notoriety with factions or leveling professions with a half dozen alts, can be obtained that is in every case way superior to the gear a person who similarly dedicates himself to PvP can get. I have to assume that the Myrmidon Epic gear is that which Trion designed to be the 'reward' for a lifetime of service to PvP. The question I asked originally was merely asking the obvious: "The fun of it aside, why would a person spend most of his time in 60 levels at PvP when at the end, he is no better off than a person who enters PvP for the first time at level 60?"

Rift Disciple

yes, looks matter.

You can't motoboat a personality.

Shield of Telara

The main thing about "pvp" gear is that you assume not even doing expert dungeons. What really gates gear is marks of horror, which you get through pvp weeklies, ntes, and raids. T1 raid gear is more than competitive currently, and is gained by marks.

Personally i do rof occasionally but otherwise 99%pvp and every now and then nte... and I've got 5 t1 raid pieces and the rest is bis pvp pieces. In pvp its pretty marginal the difference between a raider and myself
    Ezuen@Faeblight<Godlike Awesomeness> lvl 65 p100 warrior
    aka "The Healing Warrior" (before it was cool)

The content and gear is open to everyone now if you can put in just a tiny little bit of effort, the only thing that is holding people back is their own stubborness.
    #1 at selecting a target and pressing a button.

Quote Originally Posted by oddiescell View Post
    The main thing about "pvp" gear is that you assume not even doing expert dungeons. What really gates gear is marks of horror, which you get through pvp weeklies, ntes, and raids. T1 raid gear is more than competitive currently, and is gained by marks.

Personally i do rof occasionally but otherwise 99%pvp and every now and then nte... and I've got 5 t1 raid pieces and the rest is bis pvp pieces. In pvp its pretty marginal the difference between a raider and myself
    5 t1 is way more than the normal pvper. I have only 2 fk pieces I think Meduza has 2 as well rest is expert and all accessories and runes i have are pvp. I do experts, most weekly except cq and no patron.

Regardless I am competitive with or even beat competent players who out gear me in both pve and pvp. Usually only out dps in pvp by people with higher dps weapons
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 04-20-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    5 t1 is way more than the normal pvper. I have only 2 fk pieces I think Meduza has 2 as well rest is expert and all accessories and runes i have are pvp. I do experts, most weekly except cq and no patron.

Regardless I am competitive with or even beat competent players who out gear me in both pve and pvp. Usually only out dps in pvp by people with higher dps weapons
    Is T1 gear that much better than dreambreaker? Doesn't seem like a big disparity to me. Good players will do fine with dreambreaker. I'd be curious to know in % terms how much better T1 is.
    EvanX / Nihilist / Insurgent

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by EvanX View Post
    Is T1 gear that much better than dreambreaker? Doesn't seem like a big disparity to me. Good players will do fine with dreambreaker. I'd be curious to know in % terms how much better T1 is.
    http://fightingdragonswithtaylorswift.com/riftloot/#/
    Koz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast