+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Might be coming back, how's pvp?

Default Might be coming back, how's pvp?

Anything different since 3.0 dropped? How's PvP going, anything notable change?

Guess not much has changed and gear is still crap.

In a nutshell,

DPS is OP.
    Healers are OP.
    DPS is UP.
    Healers are UP.
    Premades are killing PvP.
    Premades are fine.
    Map X suck.
    Map X is fine.
    Doing Y action is an exploit.
    Doing Y action isn't an exploit.

I think this cover how PvP is doing right now.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HannonHellbringer View Post
    Just back myself after a year and am enjoying it. As expected in most MMO's, the forums are full the discontent, but I find that Rift is a very solid FTP MMO.

The big change for me was gear unification - no more PvP gear, there is just gear. There are bolster systems in place that don't really work so well (downbolstering seems broken so raiders seem to have better gear in PvP vs. the gear which can be earned via PvP only). This can be a tad discouraging, but I still quite enjoy myself.

It's free - come back and see if you enjoy yourself.

Plane Touched

Gear is a bit of a mess; you will be at a disadvantage without raiding although its somewhat irrelevant considering the skill cap in rift WF's. I did fine before I had any raid pieces what so ever.

If it's relevant to you, all of the gear that people currently have (minus a few weapon DPS / stats / procs ) available on the rift store in a few weeks. This will be removing any gear gap that currently exists inside instanced PVP.

WF's for the most part are decent - killing a healer takes way less effort than it ever did although not true for all. (78% global healing nerf currently). I really don't enjoy healing as much now, ha.

DPS for a lot of specs has been simplified and it's mostly a range fest save a few maps where melee is still fun.
    Last edited by JudeFromKale; 04-07-2015 at 09:22 AM.

If you are cool with doing both Warfronts and Dungeons, then you will probably enjoy yourself for a while. If you are only coming back to play PvP, then you will likely not enjoy yourself very much. While it is possible to gear through PvP, you will need to upgrade it, and that costs Abyssal Marks which are acquired from both PvP and PvE content.

Long story short, the game caters to players who are willing to play both PvE and PvP. Players who chose one or the other hamstring their progression speed.

Warfronts are pretty good, but CQ is a bit broken these days. The devs are about to change CQ in the upcoming 3.2 release though, not sure how that is going to play out.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by JudeFromKale View Post
    Gear is a bit of a mess; you will be at a disadvantage without raiding although its somewhat irrelevant considering the skill cap in rift WF's. I did fine before I had any raid pieces what so ever.

If it's relevant to you, all of the gear that people currently have (minus a few weapon DPS / stats / procs ) available on the rift store in a few weeks. This will be removing any gear gap that currently exists inside instanced PVP.

WF's for the most part are decent - killing a healer takes way less effort than it ever did although not true for all. (78% global healing nerf currently). I really don't enjoy healing as much now, ha.

DPS for a lot of specs has been simplified and it's mostly a range fest save a few maps where melee is still fun.
    this mostly although quoted player sploits.

I have 2 store bought (marks) t1 raid pieces. Rest is mainly pvp with a couple fillers from expert dungeons. And still dominate most wfs as soloer. Meduza has even less pve gear than me and also has no issues.
    Last edited by Definitleynottechfall; 04-07-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Plane Walker

Forum PvP is best PvP.

Just like the good 'Ole days.

They buffed the PvP gear, but it's still sort of meh. Healing is weaker than ever, but people are so bad that they still think healing is OP. If you've got two neurons to rub together you can play any spec in the game and dominate everyone, until your elo gets too high and then you get potatoes for teammates and can't win a match to save your ****ing life.

Basically, Rift is still Rift.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    They buffed the PvP gear, but it's still sort of meh. Healing is weaker than ever, but people are so bad that they still think healing is OP. If you've got two neurons to rub together you can play any spec in the game and dominate everyone, until your elo gets too high and then you get potatoes for teammates and can't win a match to save your ****ing life.

Basically, Rift is still Rift.

Do you use the absorb trinket? It is OP as XXXX. Also, using in battle rez on that healer that just died is crazy OP. Cleanses still reduce damage from 3 classes main FOTM specs, pyro, reaver and inq. I have done math and you can reduce at least 30% of outgoing damage from these classes with just cleanses alone along with nullifying pyro burst.

Not only that but you also have supports working more with making healer job ez. For instance, dom cc'ing the top 2 dps on the other side will literally make games come to a crawl. I still have games that go all the way to timer not just normal Karthan Ridge either. I have had KR, whitefalls, and normal BG go to timer several times in last month.

There are things they should fix also. Like pots that stack together that can simply nullify a couple dots with HPS on some souls.

I wouldn't say that Healers are OP in general though as if they need to be looked at in depth from a talent perspective. There is a lot of small things Trion can do to fix excessively high TTK without touching healing in pvp. Such as disable IBR, disable absorb trinket, and fix heal pot stacking and making one or two curses from specific souls uncleansable.
    Last edited by Planetx; 04-07-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Things are selectively OP though, it's not "healing is OP". Purifier is OP. Dominator is OP. Sentinel is probably OP. Stacking healers turns matches into stalemates; this isn't a "healing OP" problem, it's a problem of poor soul design. Heal stacking has always been a massive problem in Rift. I guess what I'm saying is that while that's still the case, the relative strength of an individual healer has drastically declined. You don't get stalemates just from 2 Physicians on a team, you get it from the team being literally 50% healers.

Which, by the way, is exactly what I predicted would happen the last two times they increased the global healing nerf. It doesn't get rid of heal stalemates, it just encourages teams to stack MORE healers, lowering team DPS and causing more stalemates.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 04-07-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Things are selectively OP though, it's not "healing is OP". Purifier is OP. Dominator is OP. Sentinel is probably OP. Stacking healers turns matches into stalemates; this isn't a "healing OP" problem, it's a problem of poor soul design. Heal stacking has always been a massive problem in Rift. I guess what I'm saying is that while that's still the case, the relative strength of an individual healer has drastically declined. You don't get stalemates just from 2 Physicians on a team, you get it from the team being literally 50% healers.

Which, by the way, is exactly what I predicted would happen the last two times they increased the global healing nerf. It doesn't get rid of heal stalemates, it just encourages teams to stack MORE healers, lowering team DPS and causing more stalemates.
    If you are getting 50% healers on your team, then your experience is very much different from mine. My last 12 matches have had a healer/total-members ratio (including late and last-minute arrivals) of: 4/15; 6/20; 4/15; 3/10; 4/20; 5/20; 3/15; 2/15; 3/15; 5/15; 3/9; 3/18. That basically averages out to 25% healers.

Of course, 25% healers does not mean 25% effective healers. Some matches give me some awesome crosshealing support, others give me this:

http://i.imgur.com/zENKW2F.jpg

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by BigTerj View Post
    If you are cool with doing both Warfronts and Dungeons, then you will probably enjoy yourself for a while. If you are only coming back to play PvP, then you will likely not enjoy yourself very much. While it is possible to gear through PvP, you will need to upgrade it, and that costs Abyssal Marks which are acquired from both PvP and PvE content.

Long story short, the game caters to players who are willing to play both PvE and PvP. Players who chose one or the other hamstring their progression speed.

Warfronts are pretty good, but CQ is a bit broken these days. The devs are about to change CQ in the upcoming 3.2 release though, not sure how that is going to play out.
    You can get decent progression by just doing the PvP weeklies, the daily warfront charges, and the two really easy PvE weeklies (do 30 Instant Adventures; do 4 zone events). Doing NTEs for the daily charges requires a level of commitment and research/training/practice/guidance that is vert unappealing for PvP players. The cost/benefit ratio for NTEs is just terrible from a purely PvP perspective.

I don't like the sound of gear unification, I've always been an advocate of seperate gear with a bit of an ability to cross over allowing people to atleast experience other content without a big disadvantage. Also, I do not like raiding in Rift and do not like the idea of having to pve to maximize my PvP experience. I'm sure it not needed but at some point I'm going to reach that point and knowing me, it's going to bug the hell out of me for not being maximized.

I don't like the sound of gear unification, I've always been an advocate of seperate gear with a bit of an ability to cross over allowing people to atleast experience other content without a big disadvantage. Also, I do not like raiding in Rift and do not like the idea of having to pve to maximize my PvP experience. I'm sure it not needed but at some point I'm going to reach that point and knowing me, it's going to bug the hell out of me for not being maximized.
    So what have you been doing lately HH? Was satisfying your PvP itch?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast