+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Any way to target better in PvP?

Rift Disciple

Default Any way to target better in PvP?

I've stayed true to my commitment of leveling a character completely on PvP, and it's great fun! I'm often topping the DPS chart even at the low end of the brackets, but I think my DPS is indiscriminate. It's OK when it's 1v1 or 1v2 in a warfront, but when it's 10v10, I'm just shooting at anything that moves and changing targets when I don't burn one down fast enough. I try to focus on healers, but unless I actually see them casting or take the time to scan their buffs, I have a hard time finding them. They don't all carry staves and wear dresses --- lol. What's a guy to do?

Turn on enemy target health bars so you can see who is low and switch to assist. Also after a couple minutes look at the leaderboard, sort by healing and mark enemy heals if you can't tell at first, also mark their top dps so you can kill or avoid them.

You can mark people by typing /target their name then right click on their portrait and mark, you just have to be within a certain range, for example in library you can target and mark people before the match even starts
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 03-31-2015 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phayse View Post
    I've stayed true to my commitment of leveling a character completely on PvP, and it's great fun! I'm often topping the DPS chart even at the low end of the brackets, but I think my DPS is indiscriminate. It's OK when it's 1v1 or 1v2 in a warfront, but when it's 10v10, I'm just shooting at anything that moves and changing targets when I don't burn one down fast enough. I try to focus on healers, but unless I actually see them casting or take the time to scan their buffs, I have a hard time finding them. They don't all carry staves and wear dresses --- lol. What's a guy to do?
    pretty much what tech said and take the time to look for healers/buffs and mark them.
    I did not invent Warladin I perfected it!
    rifts #1 warlord!
    rifts #1 pull tank!
    Your weakness builds me!
    Butkus@seastone

Plane Touched

Wait 1 minute, check the scoreboard, find the healers, type /target [healer's name].

Rift Disciple

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/know-thine-enemy

This addon gives you a basic idea of your target's build, tab target and mark the ones with the healing souls.

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    Turn on enemy target health bars so you can see who is low and switch to assist. Also after a couple minutes look at the leaderboard, sort by healing and mark enemy heals if you can't tell at first, also mark their top dps so you can kill or avoid them.

You can mark people by typing /target their name then right click on their portrait and mark, you just have to be within a certain range, for example in library you can target and mark people before the match even starts
    You can also make macros to keybind target marking.
    mark 1
    mark 2
    mark 3
    mark 30
    (I believe 30 is the last mark)

I forgot what numbers it was for the healer marks, but it's in the order of which you see them when using the character portrait to mark someone.

what i used to do in warfronts if i didnt know what to target - look for a guy thats a good pvper and cast on his target. (enable cast on targets target in the options)

only problem is..that guy quited playing rift in the meantime...

What I like to do, for fights like Library, is click on names of the opponents before the fight starts. If they're close enough, you can click on them and see their buffs. I try to mark as many healers/tanks/supports before the fight as I can. Also, use a meter. If you look at the healing done, you can easily tell who are the healers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Nameplates are super important. You can set up cast bars on them as well I think, though they're unreliable (i.e., they bug out and show the wrong spell casts). Honestly it comes down to experience, though. I identify healers by their spell animations. Things like Causal Treatment, Invocations, Ward of Fire, and Void Life have very distinctive effects; the only soul that's the exception here is Defiler, which you should learn to identify by its Link buffs.

Personally I almost never use tab-targeting. I strafe with side buttons on my mouse and point + click on nameplates to target enemies. You can also set up keybinds for "target nearest enemy", "target nearest ally", etc. I have macros set up to target marks 1-4 and target last target.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 03-31-2015 at 02:21 PM.

For healers I look for the buffs/casts.

For dps I check the board.

I try to mark tanks first if i'm pug as people tend to get distracted by the overextended meat-shields and ignore the juicy targets.

Although i'm sure a lot of these more experienced guys can simply go by player name and figure out the crew and possible specs before the match starts.

alternative suggestion: tab through a few of the enemy, note the hit point ranges. mark anyone with over 100k as a tank and ignore them (80-90k is often a chloro healer). kill anyone with under 70k first, regardless of spec (they are under-geared and will die fastest).

killing healers first is pvp 101 and is a good rule of thumb for just about anyone, but other options exist depending on how well you can perform and how well your team can work together.

for instance, taking out the highest threat dps first is an excellent idea, if you are sure you can pull it off.
    enemy healers don't do any damage to your team, so killing enemy dps reduces the damage your own team receives and will keep you alive longer. pull their teeth and they'll lose their bite, healers can then be toyed with at your leisure.

dominators are also a high priority target

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    kill anyone with under 70k first, regardless of spec (they are under-geared and will die fastest).
    I also agree with killing the most squish targets first. You'll get some guys who just poke around for the squish targets and grief em the whole match.

Many times with WFs that tend to bring both raid parties to a head on scrap right away (like in Whitefall: Steppes, Black Garden) I tend to tab through enemies that target their mates. Red on Red name target gets a branding of the green cross. Also be aware that sometimes they will switch souls to confuse the enemy too. Especially, premade groups that will switch roles while on voice chat. I love it!
    Niriena, Kearlet, Smilely, Rium

who are we kidding, those are all tips to have fun.

If you want to usually win, just queue with as many healers as you can, and tunnel right clicking things.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    who are we kidding, those are all tips to have fun.

If you want to usually win, just queue with as many healers as you can, and tunnel right clicking things.
    Trion makes nearly all "Heal me while I hold this" WFs and people wonder why heals get stacked.
    #1 at selecting a target and pressing a button.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast