+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sekirach
  • 2 Post By Kronos v

Thread: PvP lacks accomplishments

Plane Touched

Default PvP lacks accomplishments

I love this game. A lot. It is nearly perfect, and no, nothing is perfect, and so nearly perfect is quite an accomplishment.

But the thing that makes me sad and fails to keep me completely and fully invested in rift is the lack of accomplishments to work towards in pvp.

In pve, you can down bosses and then say your guild is 3/5 or 4/5, and if you're an awesome guild, you can measure the speed at which you achieved these things against other guilds and have a metric for your level of skill.

There are no such metrics in pvp. How do you prove to everyone that you're a skilled and talented pvper? Not by gear, as you will get fully geared eventually, even if you suck horribly.

What is the harm in adding a pvp ladder? Why is Trion so resistant to adding one? The worst that happens is that it reveals some class imbalances which Trion could either choose to fix or leave alone. Keep in mind that whatever these imbalances are, they EXIST TODAY, and yet currently the general attitude is "well this is a pve game, it's balanced for pve, pvp is maybe a bit broken but not a lot of people like it so whatever". So, in such a mindset, there is plenty of room to add competitive ladder functionality to the game. The pvp crowd is happy, and the pve crowd can continue doing their thing without this change affecting them at all.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Malachi26; 03-30-2015 at 06:03 AM.

let me state that there are few PvP acomplishment titles that are really for respect and should warn people who they are messing with, but thats all they do. trivial titles.

the reality is pvp players know who is who by name mainly. we know who to and whats more important who not to gank/be ganked by without any of those titles . also..i wouldnt mind a compleatly new system that would match people differently in Wfs....(oh,no me goes blasphemy again) maybe with new titles...maybe determined with amount of won/lost WFs... (like 55%+ wins VS 55%+ wins etc..etc...losing puts you back with 50%+ vs same, wining goes to 60%+ etc..etc... would make quees longer..maybe

but...this system as it is.... (elo or whatever) just ruins the fun of pvp play.

new titles - sure, but with a new/fixed WF matching system too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sekirach View Post
    let me state that there are few PvP acomplishment titles that are really for respect and should warn people who they are messing with, but thats all they do. trivial titles.

the reality is pvp players know who is who by name mainly. we know who to and whats more important who not to gank/be ganked by without any of those titles . also..i wouldnt mind a compleatly new system that would match people differently in Wfs....(oh,no me goes blasphemy again) maybe with new titles...maybe determined with amount of won/lost WFs... (like 55%+ wins VS 55%+ wins etc..etc...losing puts you back with 50%+ vs same, wining goes to 60%+ etc..etc... would make quees longer..maybe

but...this system as it is.... (elo or whatever) just ruins the fun of pvp play.

Yeah PvP titles/achievements really don't matter as much as your name. I do think it would be nice if prestige had some value. Right now all it means is that you spend a lot of time in PvP. And yeah matchmaking fix would be nice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sekirach View Post

Titles never crossed my mind. Are there any that you CAN'T get simply by playing long enough? My understanding is that they are just based on prestige which you earn whether you win or lose.

But also, if you're talking about titles, you're talking about a player's ability to show to others that he is good, and I don't consider that either important or necessary.

When I talk about accomplishments, I mean your own personal sense of achievement. Wouldn't you agree that it feels way better, and is also way more fun, to beat an opponent that you know is good?

Isn't it more fun to fight an equally skilled opponent? No dedicated pvp player would think it's fun to just keep face rolling random noobs in random warfronts. Eventually we want a challenge.

Look at nightmare rifts...something that can scale to your gear / ability level as a group and rewards you accordingly. And then you can know how high a level you achieved in comparison to others. Why can't we get something like that in pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi26 View Post
    Titles never crossed my mind. Are there any that you CAN'T get simply by playing long enough? My understanding is that they are just based on prestige which you earn whether you win or lose.

But also, if you're talking about titles, you're talking about a player's ability to show to others that he is good, and I don't consider that either important or necessary.

When I talk about accomplishments, I mean your own personal sense of achievement. Wouldn't you agree that it feels way better, and is also way more fun, to beat an opponent that you know is good?

Isn't it more fun to fight an equally skilled opponent? No dedicated pvp player would think it's fun to just keep face rolling random noobs in random warfronts. Eventually we want a challenge.

Look at nightmare rifts...something that can scale to your gear / ability level as a group and rewards you accordingly. And then you can know how high a level you achieved in comparison to others. Why can't we get something like that in pvp?
    I agree, definitely feels good killing a well known player. And I can't think of any titles you can't get other than just time spent, except for the dev kill one. Which I got without even realizing it, so not much of an accomplishment there. And the reason it won't happen in PvP is because PvE makes way more money. Players PvP for the fun and with bolstering, gear is less of a factor. However, with PvE, gear is a huge factor so players who mainly PvE are more likely to spend money than those who PvP. Trion puts their devs where they know the money is. The only way to get more support for PvP is to show Trion that it is worth their time financially.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

A good player needs no title to let people know who they are messing with . They simply make display of said truth.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

you can display your Achievement for Killing at any time in pvp. some people display it right from the start, particularly in matches like Ghar Station.

simply type /afk while in pvp and your [AFK] title will be displayed.

Ding rank 100, here's nothing and access to nothing, woo hoo

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    Ding rank 100, here's nothing and access to nothing, woo hoo
    Just beat Bowser, omg that game was fun I want to play it again, woo hoo (these don't exist anymore).
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    A good player needs no title to let people know who they are messing with . They simply make display of said truth.
    As I stated earlier, that's not the point. I don't care who fears who and I would find it silly to "fear" a player anyway.

The point is that there is no scaling difficulty in pvp. And the true fun of pvp comes about when you face an opponent who is equally matched with you.

It's less about fear than it is about having a good resume. How do you prove to the world that you really are the best pvper in the game? It's not by having a rank 100 title...that only proves that you have a lot of free time.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi26 View Post
    The "Lord of War" and "Herald of War" titles require you to actually play the objectives in warfronts, among other luck-or-act-of-The-Vigil based requirements. They're basically the warfront equivalent of the conqueror achievements in PvE.
    Sagittare@Deepwood | Harlakk@Deepwood | Lexicus@Deepwood
    <- Hello Kitty->

+ Reply to Thread