+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spaceboots
  • 1 Post By littlepoit

Thread: few questions about DownBolstering

Default few questions about DownBolstering

as stated above, how does it work in PvP ? i have (i'll admit optimisticly) upgraded some (well,not just some) of T1 raid shop armors into orange variation. so,when i enter WFs it gets downbolstered to...yeah..to what exactly?
    its previous version of self in purple? or something that game finds apropriate? if so,what does this game find apropriate for me to wear in PvP? what happens to the runes and dream orbs on it?

looked left and right for answers but most people are just confused with bolstering (great job there agan whoever thought of it)

other question - NM 5 lesser essences from the shop, if upgraded to orange version and used in WFs - will get bostered down? if so,to what exactly ?

thanks in advance for answers. (also please,remain silent if you are guessing the answer because it will just make more confusion,thanks)

If you are willing to do math:

1) Go into a warfront with a 0/0/0 spec.

2) Unequip relic piece

3) Observe stat changes

4) Substract runes/dream orbs from stat deviations

I'm sure what you'll find is exactly what happens with up-bolstering: the replaced stats aren't even a real item, but instead some hodgepodge of stats that's roughly equal in power to a T1 raid epic.

If you are not willing to do math:

1) Stop complaining about bolstering
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Rift Disciple

According to the 3.0 patch notes originally posted, high stat PvE gear is supposed to be downbolstered:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-22-14-eu.html

"it now also replaces any gear that is more powerful than what's currently available in PVP." I've always read this to imply that it should downboslter the PvE piece to the max stats of a fully upgraded, comparable stat distribution PvP piece, but I don't think it works that way in practice... It's too bad it doesn't' work as intended because that would immediately end the complaint you must PvE to PvP.

relic gear they say gets down bolstered in wfs,either way its still bis.
    I did not invent Warladin I perfected it!
    rifts #1 warlord!
    rifts #1 pull tank!
    Your weakness builds me!
    Butkus@seastone

Quote Originally Posted by tdain View Post
    According to the 3.0 patch notes originally posted, high stat PvE gear is supposed to be downbolstered:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-22-14-eu.html

"it now also replaces any gear that is more powerful than what's currently available in PVP." I've always read this to imply that it should downboslter the PvE piece to the max stats of a fully upgraded, comparable stat distribution PvP piece, but I don't think it works that way in practice... It's too bad it doesn't' work as intended because that would immediately end the complaint you must PvE to PvP.
    unfortunately, what the patch notes said was not the reality. powerful gear was down bolstered to better than what was available through pvp.

the pvp gear has since been buffed, but I believe the down bolster is still better - purple raid gear level.

imo, the upper bolster should receive the same treatment that the lower bolster recently received.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladd View Post
    PTS just got updated with a revised version of bolstering. Instead of trying to match bolstered gear and Maruader+ gear with every other piece of gear in the game, I've just made bolstered gear match the stat allocations that Marauder+ has.

Additionally with this change, each slot in bolstered now has a set tertiary stat that it boosts instead of splitting between all 3 that a calling would want. The breakdown is as follows:

AP/SP: Legs, Neck, Rings, 1h Weapon, 2h Weapon, Off-Hand, Shield
    SC/PC: Cape, Chest, Boots, Gloves, Helmet
    CP: Earrings, Essences

The difference going from bolstered to full set of Marauder's (in the main stat heavy version) is:

Main: +655
    Secondary: +117
    Endurance: -163
    AP/SP: +75
    SC/PC: +176
    CP: +108

Provided that you keep the same tertiary stat distribution as the bolster gear.

Jump on PTS and try it out!

I'll update the first post with this information as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by butkus View Post
    relic gear they say gets down bolstered in wfs,either way its still bis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    the pvp gear has since been buffed, but I believe the down bolster is still better - purple raid gear level.
    These are both still false. I get comparable stat upgrades by switching my relic raid MH/OH for an epic raid-tier staff as I do by switching from epic expert staff to epic raid staff. There is or was a bug with weapon DPS improperly downbolstering (thus making relics still superior for Warriors / Rogues) but I believe that's been fixed.

Just need to normalize the gear all together at this point. As predicted trion doesn't have the time to keep up on bolstering well, and certainly doesn't, or can't tell anyone how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Just need to normalize the gear all together at this point. As predicted trion doesn't have the time to keep up on bolstering well, and certainly doesn't, or can't tell anyone how it works.
    Vladd has explained how bolstering works, I'm just not certain how debolstering works. If I had to guess I'd say it's debolstering to Dreambreaker stats, since you seem to come out roughly even with expert epics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Vladd has explained how bolstering works, I'm just not certain how debolstering works. If I had to guess I'd say it's debolstering to Dreambreaker stats, since you seem to come out roughly even with expert epics.
    Vladd explained how he changed the lower bolster to work, this wasn't how it used to work, nor is it how the upper bolster still works.
    if that was how the upper bolster worked, your NTE purples would have been down bolstered to pre-buff dreambreaker right from the launch of NT.

long story short, NT launched with massive changes to pvp gearing that were required to make the gear unification even slightly palatable. those changes were all broken and misaligned (un-upgraded marauder gear was being bolstered up because it was so weak).
    we're still struggling to get things fixed. sometimes the hardest part of that struggle is getting Trion to admit that things are broken in the first place. *cough* the entire queue/match making system *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Vladd has explained how bolstering works.
    Don't think so. Unless I missed an actual explanation.

Also, I have to admit I just noticed the Ascended Courage buff tells you what items have been adjusted.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 03-23-2015 at 08:48 PM.

took me a little while but found this epic piece of rift history. no need for a name and shame forum, all the bads were against it.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...4-4pm-pdt.html

Ultimately we are seeking a better balance between “fair” and “fun” and seek to answer the question – “is more fair fun?”
    3 years and they haven't come up with the correct answer yet.

PS : while you are at it , normalize PA (i stand by what i said in that thread 3 years ago)
    Last edited by littlepoit; 03-23-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    Vladd explained how he changed the lower bolster to work, this wasn't how it used to work, nor is it how the upper bolster still works.
    if that was how the upper bolster worked, your NTE purples would have been down bolstered to pre-buff dreambreaker right from the launch of NT.

long story short, NT launched with massive changes to pvp gearing that were required to make the gear unification even slightly palatable. those changes were all broken and misaligned (un-upgraded marauder gear was being bolstered up because it was so weak).
    we're still struggling to get things fixed. sometimes the hardest part of that struggle is getting Trion to admit that things are broken in the first place. *cough* the entire queue/match making system *cough*
    Don't know how to do the math but what does it matter. Nothing works anymore. I was content always being behind in gear progression knowing I might catch up eventually. When the expac came i was full relic and sitting on 12 RIC'S.

All I understand now is that I have no chance. Haven't been able to complete a weekly yet this month in kills.

I'm playing other games now but would love to come back. I'm having a bad year at Trion. First AA now this NT.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post

If you are not willing to do math:

1) Stop complaining about bolstering

No where else in the game is gear a black box area. They really should make the system more visible. Perhaps adding a new tab for the gear, some what like when you inspect someone and can see what gear they have or the wardrobe gear. They can add a new effective pvp gear tab that shows exactly what you would get.
    Last edited by Twobits; 03-25-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Plane Touched

I don't see why they dont just focus on the players total stats instead of the individual gear pieces.

all they would need is put into place a minimum and maximum cap for total stats, the only thing that'd require some seperate calculations would be base weapon DPS when applicable for the classes/specs that uses it.

this would solve all the individual gear pieces drama, less server and less client calculations, etc. while at it, contributing to better performance on both ends. so why not take that route ?

+ Reply to Thread