+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: PVP Tanks.

Rift Disciple

Default PVP Tanks.

Viable in WF? Discuss.

Definitely useful in warfronts with control point mechanics. But PLEASE, PLEASE don't go tank in fang garden, library or ghar station if you plan on carrying fang/runes/nubers. The damage they do is % based, but the heals you recieve are not, so you need a lot more heals to stay alive.

So far the tank builds I've seen really useful in wfs are full void knight, the (in)famous arbinator, and maye riftstalker cuz of the passive aoe. Justicar can help with heals but usuall senticar is better.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Illuyanka View Post
    Definitely useful in warfronts with control point mechanics. But PLEASE, PLEASE don't go tank in fang garden, library or ghar station if you plan on carrying fang/runes/nubers. The damage they do is % based, but the heals you recieve are not, so you need a lot more heals to stay alive.

So far the tank builds I've seen really useful in wfs are full void knight, the (in)famous arbinator, and maye riftstalker cuz of the passive aoe. Justicar can help with heals but usuall senticar is better.
    Can't really agree with you regarding fang. Sometimes it is better to have someone able to actually grab the fang, even if he will hold it for a shorter period. Depends entirely on how the other team is playing: I've seen my fair share of BG clusterducks in which neither team could pick up the goddamned fang.

Troll specs imo. Tanks can destroy warfront quality by slowing everything down. Nobody kills the tanks and the tanks kill nobody --> PvP with the pace of a snail and frustrated dps players.
    Last edited by Veldan; 01-23-2015 at 03:42 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    Troll specs imo. Tanks can destroy warfront quality by slowing everything down. Nobody kills the tanks and the tanks kill nobody --> PvP with the pace of a snail and frustrated dps players.
    A team composed of healers and tanks? Yeah, craptastic PvP. A single tank capping the central point of contention or stealing a stone/flag? Another story entirely.

Saving up Rex to get Arbiter. As much as I enjoy stealing stones in Whitefall, the chloro is not the best spec for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuyanka View Post
    This is situational. If the enemy team is decent, they will be doing more damage to the carrier than the fang will be. In this case, it's better to have a tank.

Champion of Telara

Well played tanks can tip control point matches in favor of their teams simply by ninjaing a control point and taking forever to die.

Tanks are for players that cannot heal. The same way aoe dps are for players who can't dps.

Well, if you want to kill players as a Tank, just forget it.

I play Tank in PvP and I would say it is in first line good for mechanics. You can defend control points behind enemy lines in Codex or Karthan. The high survivability predestines Tanks to carry (Karthan, Port, Whitefall) or steal (Whitefall) stones . Because of this, I decided to play a spec which gives me +30% moving speed. If you play Pala or Pala-Hybrid you can also pick up runes, because of your self heal. As Pala you have also little supporting abilities.

There are only few situations in which “fighting-Tanks” are useful for their team. The best think you can do is to bind and confuse enemies. Sometimes I am able to burst the enemies group formation by storming the front (Whitefall before the first stone appears), because they either starting to attack me instead of my DD-team mates or they just give up their formation (for at least no reason). But this tactic usually works only for inexperienced players who dont recognize that I am a (damageless) Tank and not a Paragon.

As I said, you can also try to bind players. I am always surpised HOW MANY players waste their time in trying to kill a tank. You will find such situations in every warfront, 2 – 3 enemies wasting 1 – 2 minutes in trying to kill you. It maybe scratches their ego if you would survive, dont know.

But I doubt that Tanks will still be playable in PvP in a few month. The current balancing & gear problem in Rift PvP will lead to an extinction of Tanks in PvP. Just today I received my first 14k hit, from a magical attack as a Void Knight (“anti mage tank”).

Ascendant

The only tank worth playing is VK due to multiple CC, aoe purge, pulls, etc.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Shield of Telara

For full on (61pt) tanks, i am in agreement with everyone above really; controlling points and carrying whitefall/karthan stones are about the only times when theyre useful. I occasionally play a tank/healer hybrid that is OK for mostly being hard to kill, warrior links, and then tossing out a raidsave when necessary...but thats very situationally useful and most of the time you're better off just helping heal.

On the other hand, for warriors there are a hybrid tank/dps spec or two that work...the one i prefer is VK/para/lib (guide up on warrior discussion forum). Contrary to popular belief, it can kill people through heals, and healers themselves fairly well. For those of you who dont think this is actually true...
    http://i.imgur.com/QHjZQao.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/i0Gucfk.jpg

but yea, 61 pts is a waste for pvp unless you're PvEvPing
    Last edited by oddiescell; 01-23-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    Ezuen@Faeblight<Godlike Awesomeness> lvl 65 p100 warrior
    aka "The Healing Warrior" (before it was cool)

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHealNeverDie View Post
    The only tank worth playing is VK due to multiple CC, aoe purge, pulls, etc.
    Pretty much, I like VK for the range especially. It isn't much but as a full VK with sub tempest gives about what a poor geared ranged dps will do with builders, tested too. The best part is the port pulls because you can pull a group of spawn campers to your spawn and then kill anyone left below (hopefully). Overall though, tank is very situational for full effect so I tend to not run it very sparingly unless invited to a PM for CQ. Pulling can lead to pissed off team mates in a WF, pulling targets away from friendly melee for instance or pulling a pyro in range to kill the friendly team mate running from the pyro. Pulling a good healer will get you laughed at and all kinds of /say telling you you're bad, usually in front of your raid that can't kill the healer so although you had the right idea, the team blames their failure and loss on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

situational, and many of those situations are when your team is already losing.

the only match where I switch to a tank soul right at the start is port scion, and only because its port scion.
    other maps, i'll always start as dps, but may switch to tank if the situation calls for it.
    I find hybrids are more useful than pure tanks.

P.S. when stealing stones in whitefall, or flags in anti-chamber, its often best to go in as dps, and then switch to tank while picking up the stone/flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

I for one HATE seeing pure tanks in WF.

Rift pvp is pretty much a pure Burst/Heal/support game.

Yes they can guard points, but against a good dps/support team, Tanks are basically just last to die.

In CQ tanks serve a better role with CC and pressure.

I wish they would give tanks a bigger role in WF by giving them a lasting guard like defilers have. Maybe even a high risk/high reward raid guard. Would be nice.

Plane Walker

Good thing as tank, you can always stay at the front of the battle and handle all them raptors and nublets that tab target...
    Last edited by Strikey; 01-23-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    Strikes@Typhiria Impossibruu@Typhiria Huhuhuh@Laeyths Strikez@Deepwood Primes@Deepwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast