+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By asianguywithacamera
  • 1 Post By Sencas

Thread: Don't Want to Hit 65

Plane Walker

Default Don't Want to Hit 65

I've played this game since release. I've played mmo's since they were text based MUD's in the early-mid 90's. I've been a pvper the whole time. No MMO I've ever played gave pvp as fair of a shake as they gave pve, but at least most of them allowed a player to stick almost exclusively with pvp, if they wanted to, without being disadvantaged within the realm of pvp.

There are only two reasons the developers are trying to force the playerbase to play a certain way. 1)They believe a broader experience is more enjoyable, will not only attract more players, but keep them longer, and as F2P game, will draw more money out of their pockets, or 2)Certain people need their ego's stroked by forcing people to play certain content (that long hours went in to developing) and then fantasizing that those people actually enjoy playing it. It's probably some combination of those two.

The problem, of course, is that reality is much different. People will pay more for something they truly enjoy and will stick with it for much longer. See World of Warcraft 10 year subscribers as exhibit A. I used to be a hardcore WoW arena junkie but left after season 9 or so because I felt like the devs were doing what the devs here are doing (only in a different way, concerning different things), which is forcing players in to content they don't care for.

This issue is old and tired by now, and I can tell that Trion is just applying the "wait it out" method. Eventually people will just succumb, or leave. So many pvpers here are unhappy with what you've done, Trion. You can't force anyone to like anything. That's just not how life works. pvp and pve are too distinctly different to be mashed in to one frankenmmo, and I get it, you're afraid of the investment it will take if you actually focus on pvp. Daglar and others have stated that arena would bring forth class imbalance issues (and all this means is that those issues currently exist, arena is only a mechanism by which they can be identified) that would result in a headache for developers. I think the next great MMO will be more forward thinking than this. Instead of fearing the challenge, the next big MMO will embrace it, because they know the potential reward can far outweigh the risk.

I'm level 64 currently and pvp is about as "pure" as it possibly can be under the current conditions in Rift. I don't want to turn 65 and have the tiny bit of pvp purity tainted by a forced, bad experience, doing things I couldn't care less about doing. I have little interest in greater hunts, or dungeons or raids. I'm glad they are there for the people that do. I may even participate occasionally as a temporary change up. But it's no why I play, and it's not why a lot of others do either.
    Unrated -- Now show me on this doll where the mean rogue touched you.

Then don't do dungeons or raids? Simple problems should have simple solutions. If you feel forced, the only one causing that feeling is you.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    Then don't do dungeons or raids? Simple problems should have simple solutions. If you feel forced, the only one causing that feeling is you.
    Maybe I misunderstood the changes then. So I won't be disadvantaged in pvp, if I do not participate in pve?

Plane Walker

Also, just to clarify my position on things, I don't care if pve'ers have some sort of "upper hand" when it comes to gear. In other words, if pve'ers can acquire gear that is competitive in pvp and at the same level of pvp gear, through pve activities, but it doesn't swing the same way for pvp'ers (in other words pvp gear isn't competitive in pve), that doesn't bother me. I just want to be able to completely gear up for pvp, through pvp.

Most pve'ers are easy kills anyway, so it might be beneficial in getting them more experience in pvp, using pve gear, if that's what they choose to do. I just see no reason to handicap pvp'ers in pvp, when it comes to pvp. I understand other pvp'ers may not agree with this, that they may want it to go the other way because they think it's fair, but as previously stated, my main concern is just with pvp.

You can probably get by and be average or mid-pack for a few months with just crafted gear and being bolstered. My cleric's 1st wf hitting 65 wearing crafted gear and 142 resist essences, no synergy crystal... I was top damage and tied top kb on my team. My team sucked, but still, there should've been several players better-geared doing more ST damage.

As long as you play within your limits usimg good positioning, knowing when to retreat, knowing who to assist, things aren't as bad as people make it out to be. The people QQing are typically the ones that grew accustomed to facerolling people because of gear advantage. Most of the pvpers that are still around engage in pve so that raiders don't have as much of a gear advantage.

The players that will faceroll you are the ones who have and still are doing both pve and pvp. They have both the gear and pvp knowledge/specs. I've stopped gear-checking people in warfronts because I really don't care what they're wearing.

Ascendant

OP wants to stay as lvl64 so he can keep stomping lower level players in the 60-64 bracket.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Plane Walker

To heck with 60-64, the 20-29 bracket was the best twink PVP in Rift!
    Koz

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHealNeverDie View Post
    OP wants to stay as lvl64 so he can keep stomping lower level players in the 60-64 bracket.
    I suppose you missed the part where I've played this game since release, that I've been playing end game pvp every step of the way, and that I've been playing competitive pvp for about 20 years. I don't need to be max_level in lower level warfronts to stomp players, anyone who has played with me or against me knows that. It's as if the entire spirit of the post flew right past you.
    Last edited by Emanresu; 01-22-2015 at 03:27 PM.

You get Marauder's chests if you win Warfronts (At 65, I forgot if this is also true at brackets lower than 65). These chests sometimes drop gear which you can upgrade and be 'relatively' equal to expert geared PvErs.
    Serale@Faeblight

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
    be 'relatively' equal to expert geared PvErs.
    By this he means BIS until Raid gear, with the CP focused pieces being outright better than some drops form raid (Though mark pieces still beat them).

Before you ask, marks are from PVP too. Slower rate, mind you, but you can still get a solid chunk of it compared to people who never raid at all.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Rift Chaser

recent buff to Marauder gear, and it's upgrade paths, made it competitive to gear up with.....Just as long as you really love warfronts. Cause you're gonna have to play a lot of them.

+ Reply to Thread