+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sooo, what's the point?

Angry Sooo, what's the point?

I have recently returned to rift. And to my surprise most rewards for PvPing are gone. No more ranks, gear? What do I even use my favor for? No PvP rifts?

Do we just PvP for the fun of killing each other now?

I'm sorry if this has already been talked about, I'm sure it has. I was just unable to find those threads myself.
    Buck - Cleric - Faeblight

ya pvp pretty much got gutted, even the dragon killers agree we got ****ed. but daglar still thinks he knows whats best. what an ignorant person.
    Dogkin@seastone<the cult> - RIP <wipe>
    Dogkin@vigil <Dawn of Terror>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Women in pvp are a rare breed compared to your average soccer mom grinding mats for her children.

1) The PvP weeklies are available which in turn give you loot to get better gear.

2) The gear that is dropped from the PvP loot chests is actually decent gear once you upgrade it all the way. Fully upgraded PvP (Marauders?) gear is near best in slot, not that I would actually raid with it, but it does have an incredible amount of physical crit and crit power (warrior gear at least), which is great in PvP as most of the other stats are significantly nerfed.

3) It is true that Prestige is now meaningless as there is no special gear or consumables that require a specific prestige level, it is solely for titles and achievements.

Lots of folks are up in arms about gear, but I run around with NED gear and top the charts a lot of the time. I think knowing the specific map objectives and maybe going with a friend or two are the keys to good performance. You can have the best gear, but running around a map alone will get you killed real fast.
    Last edited by BigTerj; 01-17-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Juls View Post
    I have recently returned to rift. And to my surprise most rewards for PvPing are gone. No more ranks, gear? What do I even use my favor for? No PvP rifts?

Do we just PvP for the fun of killing each other now?

I'm sorry if this has already been talked about, I'm sure it has. I was just unable to find those threads myself.
    You can use favor to buy consumables, which are actually pretty good. Also, you use favor to buy tokens that upgrade the PvP drop gear.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTerj View Post
    You can use favor to buy consumables, which are actually pretty good. Also, you use favor to buy tokens that upgrade the PvP drop gear.
    rng drop reliance is a terrible way to progress gear. Also the upgrade prices are so obscene it's not even funny. don't try to convince anyone on the pvp forum that "pvp gear progression" even exists.
    Dogkin@seastone<the cult> - RIP <wipe>
    Dogkin@vigil <Dawn of Terror>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Women in pvp are a rare breed compared to your average soccer mom grinding mats for her children.

Ascendant

Where would that be?

2) The gear that is dropped from the PvP loot chests is actually decent gear once you upgrade it all the way.
    no, its not. the majority of the gear is vendor trash.
    if you only need to upgrade one or two pieces, it might be acceptable. but upgrading an entire set? the cost to do so is completely ridiculous and way out of line of the time to acquire and upgrade cost of the equivalent pve gear (NME purples).

Fully upgraded PvP (Marauders?) gear is near best in slot, not that I would actually raid with it, but it does have an incredible amount of physical crit and crit power (warrior gear at least), which is great in PvP as most of the other stats are significantly nerfed.
    no, its not. raid purple gear is best in slot for pvp. raid gear can be upgraded sideways to the preferred stats.
    your pvp chest drops only upgrade to expert purple level.
    only a handful of pvp gear can be considered best in slot, and only because those slots are not yet available through raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    no, its not. the majority of the gear is vendor trash.
    if you only need to upgrade one or two pieces, it might be acceptable. but upgrading an entire set? the cost to do so is completely ridiculous and way out of line of the time to acquire and upgrade cost of the equivalent pve gear (NME purples).

no, its not. raid purple gear is best in slot for pvp. raid gear can be upgraded sideways to the preferred stats.
    your pvp chest drops only upgrade to expert purple level.
    only a handful of pvp gear can be considered best in slot, and only because those slots are not yet available through raiding.

True, perhaps I embellished a bit on the "near BiS" part, BUT if you look at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't want to raid, then it could be considered the best they can get. In that case, the grind for favor isn't all that bad when you think about the insane DPS queues for NME. I'd rather play WF for then sit around for 30mins hoping to get in on a NME for the chance of rolling on a relevant piece of gear. Of course, joining an active guild can help to remedy the queue problem.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the old progression system, but I think that Trion made a decision that Rift is a PVE game that happens to include PVP, and that they didn't want the few PvP hardcores ruining PvP for the masses because nobody else was able to put in the time required for BiS PvP gear.

Derp /10char
    Last edited by BehemothDog; 01-17-2015 at 03:12 PM.

In that case, the grind for favor isn't all that bad when you think about the insane DPS queues for NME.
    favour isn't a limiting factor for the pvp chest gear. abyssal crests are the choke point. and if you aren't doing the NMEs (or many of the other pve grinds), then you aren't maxing out your abyssal marks. by the time you have a full set of pvp gear with acceptable stats (bearing in mind that 90% of the drops are vendor trash with bad stats - when you even get a drop), and then have gained enough abyssal marks to upgrade it, everyone else will have full sets of BiS raid gear.
    the only way you'll get it upgraded in any decent time frame is by dropping fat wads of real cash on upgrade components from the riftstore.

trying to argue that pvp chest gear is an acceptable second best is like trying to argue that your 1975 Datsun is an acceptable entrant for a F1 race.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't reached 65 yet, and I guess it isn't so much the gear that bothers me. Kinda sucks we don't have ranks anymore. I really liked that feature. It was something else to play for, besides gear.

Glad favor still has a use. I still have a bunch of favor vials.

Quote Originally Posted by Juls View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't reached 65 yet, and I guess it isn't so much the gear that bothers me. Kinda sucks we don't have ranks anymore. I really liked that feature. It was something else to play for, besides gear.

Glad favor still has a use. I still have a bunch of favor vials.
    Just got a prestige vial from a lock box. What good is prestige these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    I have no idea. I have some as well. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    Currently it's only good for achievements and titles. I suggest building it up though whenever you PvP as they may change the system in some future patch or expansion to make it relevant again.

When you remove a majority of the rewards and the content no longer even becomes fun, you know it [the rewards] was merely a bandaid keeping it alive by a thread.

One of the documented best ways to maintain human interest in - any- activity, is to reward them as little as humanly possible/acceptable. Excess rewards risk (inc giggles because my class lessons become true in the real world) loss of enjoyment of the activity if you remove them down the road or greatly reduce them.

As Jesse Pinkman would say....

Science.
    Last edited by Violacea; 01-17-2015 at 09:13 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast