+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Warfront Rules and Scoring Request

  1. #1
    Plane Touched BigTerj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    286

    Default Warfront Rules and Scoring Request

    Like many of you, I have been frustrated time and again by players who don't know the general rules or point breakdowns of each warfront game/map. I think the root of the problem is that the rules and scoring for each specific game are vague and located in the queue menu, which most nobody reads, they just queue for the match they need for a quest or hit the random button and go.

    My suggestion to Trion is to put some sort of popup when a player joins a match that explains the rules/points/etc. Veteran players can just close it if they wish, but new players would benefit immensely from actually knowing what to do. I'm not suggesting Trion lay out strategies, just the basic rules and scoring so inexperienced players aren't just flailing around uselessly. By forcing the instructions in everyones face each match, there might just be some people who read it and actually help their team instead of getting endlessly butchered by the opposing side. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of "veteran" player who don't even know what they are doing on some maps as well.
    Last edited by BigTerj; 01-17-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

  2. #2
    Champion BehemothDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTerj View Post
    Like many of you, I have been frustrated time and again by players who don't know the general rules or point breakdowns of each warfront game/map. I think the root of the problem is that the rules and scoring for each specific game are vague and located in the queue menu, which most nobody reads, they just queue for the match they need for a quest or hit the random button and go.

    My suggestion to Trion is to put some sort of popup when a player joins a match that explains the rules/points/etc. Veteran players can just close it if they wish, but new players would benefit immensely from actually knowing what to do. I'm not suggesting Trion lay out strategies, just the basic rules and scoring so inexperienced players aren't just flailing around uselessly. By forcing the instructions in everyones face each match, there might just be some people who read it and actually help their team instead of getting endlessly butchered by the opposing side. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of "veteran" player who don't even know what they are doing on some maps as well.
    If they dont read the queue menu, what makes you think they will read a pop-up. Hell people dont even read boss emotes.

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    391

    Default

    They just need to add a reward for viewing the instructions. 300 void stones if you read this completely. BONUS chance at some rng box if you pass the quiz at the end.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched BigTerj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    286

    Default

    A lot of people (myself included) probably don't care about background/storyline info which is why they ignore boss emotes.

    What needs to happen is a very simple set of bullet points and some sort of diagram or table that can be understood within 5-10 seconds. They could even just recycle the current WF maps and add points per capture next to the objectives.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

  5. #5
    Plane Touched BigTerj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motoboat View Post
    They just need to add a reward for viewing the instructions. 300 void stones if you read this completely. BONUS chance at some rng box if you pass the quiz at the end.
    That is a great idea. For instance they could ask how many points the Codex is worth, which a complete newbie wouldn't know unless they actually looked at the popup.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

  6. #6
    Champion BehemothDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTerj View Post
    A lot of people (myself included) probably don't care about background/storyline info which is why they ignore boss emotes.

    What needs to happen is a very simple set of bullet points and some sort of diagram or table that can be understood within 5-10 seconds. They could even just recycle the current WF maps and add points per capture next to the objectives.
    Its not about story, it is about mechanics. I could give 2 rips about story, but I read them during the fight because they tell you what to do.

  7. #7
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    888

    Default

    The best bit is that the queue instructions don't even tell you how Scion (or at least, what gives points etc) or Ghar Station Eyn work. The latter is probably the most weird and also the most rewarding for coordinated groups who track which carrier has which egg flavour and from which spawn.

    But forcing people to read stuff doesn't work. If it was mandatory to pass said quiz before queuing and there was some deterrent to random guessing then it might work but it'll still annoy the people who just want to hurry up and get in a game already...

  8. #8
    Champion BehemothDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    I would also like to add this, A really fast google search can provide a list of WF's and what the objectives are.

    Even in PvE the same problems happen. The knowledge is there and people are just too lazy to absorb it.
    Last edited by BehemothDog; 01-17-2015 at 11:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched BigTerj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    But forcing people to read stuff doesn't work. If it was mandatory to pass said quiz before queuing and there was some deterrent to random guessing then it might work but it'll still annoy the people who just want to hurry up and get in a game already...
    I cede that forcing people to read doesn't always work and could annoy some people, but what if it only popped up for players who were new to a particular map? Also, what if it was available to everyone as a tab on the PvP scoring card?

    I know the information is out there in the google world, but you shouldn't be forced out of the game to do google searches just to find out how to play a mini-game, which is what a PvP Warfront basically is. The instructions should be clear, concise, and readily available in-game.
    Last edited by BigTerj; 01-17-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

  10. #10
    Champion BehemothDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTerj View Post
    I cede that forcing people to read doesn't always work and could annoy some people, but what if it only popped up for players who were new to a particular map? Also, what if it was available to everyone as a tab on the PvP scoring card?

    I know the information is out there in the google world, but you shouldn't be forced out of the game to do google searches just to find out how to play a mini-game, which is what a PvP Warfront basically is. The instructions should be clear, concise, and readily available in-game.
    Upon further review...The queue text tells you how to win. Should I provide screenshots?

  11. #11
    Ascendant July13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTerj View Post
    Like many of you, I have been frustrated time and again by players who don't know the general rules or point breakdowns of each warfront game/map. I think the root of the problem is that the rules and scoring for each specific game are vague and located in the queue menu, which most nobody reads, they just queue for the match they need for a quest or hit the random button and go.

    My suggestion to Trion is to put some sort of popup when a player joins a match that explains the rules/points/etc. Veteran players can just close it if they wish, but new players would benefit immensely from actually knowing what to do. I'm not suggesting Trion lay out strategies, just the basic rules and scoring so inexperienced players aren't just flailing around uselessly. By forcing the instructions in everyones face each match, there might just be some people who read it and actually help their team instead of getting endlessly butchered by the opposing side. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of "veteran" player who don't even know what they are doing on some maps as well.
    My suggestion is to have the popup while player is in warfront but waiting for it to start. If player gets put in warfront that has already started it should not be there though.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched BigTerj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BehemothDog View Post
    Upon further review...The queue text tells you how to win. Should I provide screenshots?
    I never said that the queue doesn't provide information, just that it wasn't not clear and concise. When I read the Codex queue information all I see is blah blah hold flags, then all they way at the end that Codex grants "bonus points." I merely suggest that they cut the fluff and say something like:

    - This is a game of Capture the Flag.
    - There are 4 flags to capture.
    - All flags are worth 5 points per x seconds held, with the exception of Codex which is worth 10.
    - First team to 1000 points wins.

    I don't understand why you are so against providing players with better information in-game. I think the queue is a good place to have to information, but that a secondary menu should be available inside the match with a little more detail.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

  13. #13
    Champion BehemothDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTerj View Post
    I never said that the queue doesn't provide information, just that it wasn't not clear and concise. When I read the Codex queue information all I see is blah blah hold flags, then all they way at the end that Codex grants "bonus points." I merely suggest that they cut the fluff and say something like:

    - This is a game of Capture the Flag.
    - There are 4 flags to capture.
    - All flags are worth 5 points per x seconds held, with the exception of Codex which is worth 10.
    - First team to 1000 points wins.

    I don't understand why you are so against providing players with better information in-game. I think the queue is a good place to have to information, but that a secondary menu should be available inside the match with a little more detail.
    I am against providing unnecessary redundancy. Make the queue txt more descriptive, or allow me to disable popups. Then we all win! (People still are gonna skip reading and just run in like derps though)
    Last edited by BehemothDog; 01-17-2015 at 12:32 PM.

  14. #14
    Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BehemothDog View Post
    If they dont read the queue menu, what makes you think they will read a pop-up. Hell people dont even read boss emotes.
    I had no idea info was on the queue menu, so I've been Googling trying to find non-existent 3.0 guides, and I'm still mostly clueless except for the vanilla WF's that I still know.

    /signed for better and more visible information, but I'll look at this menu thingie too. Thanks. A forced popup to close will annoy really quickly though.
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 01-17-2015 at 12:33 PM.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched BigTerj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BehemothDog View Post
    I am against providing unnecessary redundancy. Make the queue txt more descriptive, or allow me to disable popups. Then we all win! (People still are gonna skip reading and just run in like derps though)
    I agree that unnecessary redundancy is annoying that that you can't make a person better, they have to do it on their own. I just find it frustrating that lots of players run around the maps aimlessly, and I think part of it has to do with not actually having a clue what to do because they either don't know where to look or because the info isn't quite detailed enough. I find myself a lot of the time trying to explain the game to people in chat and It's like herding cats.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts